Forums Off-topic

GameGum

18 posts

Flag Post

Firstly, i would like to say i genuinely think both Kongregate and GameGum are amazing sites that are going places. Of course, thats not the only reason im posting here.

Today is the first day of the GameGum referral contest and i figured as they are a very similar site, id begin here by posting my link. Yes its an affiliate link but i am warning you all:

http://www.gamegum.com/invitedby/leox/

What do you think? not so many prizes but not as much competition either. Anyways, good luck to you all and sorry for intruding.

Flag Post

“only” two cash prices, but maybe gumpoints will be like gold someday :)

Anyway, they can’t hide that their new design is freely inspired by digg.com, just darker

Flag Post

How so? i can think of so many sites that use that similar header i dont see how you could make the comparison.

there are four cash prizes as well, but as i said, its a small contest.

Flag Post

Hmmmm…

http://www.gamegum.com/profile/56/default/

Flag Post

Hmmmm… http://www.gamegum.com/profile/56/default/

Guess they dont do much about piracy. The profile “default” is impossible to miss as well, just try browsing for a little. Its almost seems as if its a profile they created to upload miscellaneous games. If so, quite shameful.

Flag Post

Hmmmm…

http://www.gamegum.com/profile/56/default/

Indeed, that’s questionable.

I was about to submit my game to their site but after seeing this I’m thinking twice about it. But who knows… it may be a good idea to beat them to it ;)

Flag Post

and they claim sharing revenue with devs too, see this
http://www.gamegum.com/help/#revenue_sharing
based on AdSense (same as Kong now uses) so well as AC said, this is quite shameful because it will all go back to their own pocket ^^

the only nice thing is the neat css effect when you rollover a link :P

Flag Post

Additionally, they have an Embed option that lets your paste the game your profile or site, which means if the game is being hosted with out permission, then its being distributed as well without permission – making it worse.

Flag Post

I see someone has taken interest in our website. Hello all, I’ve been registered here a while but haven’t posted. I’m Nate, the founder/owner of GameGum.

To our credit, the Default profile ONLY has submitted games that are available on websites which specify “Add this Game to your site for free” such as MiniClip and about 100 others. Beyond that we had contacted a few developers individually and gave them the option for us to submit it personally for them if they didn’t want to sign up, and so some popular games are submitted under Default.

We have a policy in which if any of your games show up under Default we can transfer them to your account instantly if you’d like, which means you don’t have to do anything at all. As these games are freely available, we aren’t violating any copyrights.

Now, there were multiple hired hands that worked on submitting the games on the Default profile and we made it very clear that only games that are made available should be submitted. If you spot any that are not, I will personally remove them immediately. In fact, I will make sure we do an audit this afternoon as well as it’s been a while since the last one.

Flag Post

Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds fine to me.

Flag Post

Interesting, doesn’t have anything outstanding about the site yet, but it’s nice and clean. I signed up and submitted one game for now.

Flag Post

Be sure to check out the pulse if you want to know whats going on around the site.

I won’t push this topic anymore though as I think Kongregate deserves to be left in peace :)

Flag Post

Well thats good that you only upload certain games under that profile. Definitely makes me feel a little better, though I dont care for that type of policy in general, particularly on a site that tries to focus on sharing the fruits with devs. Personally I hope we dont start doing that here, but thats just my humble opinion – though I admit a mostly jaded one after dealing with years of Flash pirates for years and years, especially back when games weren’t as common as they are now. Its also good to note there are many sites that have the “add this game to your site” feature for games that they never attained the right to host in the first place; so caution should always be heeded.

Anyway, not really that huge of a deal anymore, but I think its good to always contact the authors and let them know whats going on with their property – especially if they could be earning justified ad revenue from it.

Flag Post

Yes, we are only taking games that are from the host site, since I’ve used the MiniClip example, we know its MiniClip’s because they use their logo in every one – the same is done with all the other sites that offer this (crazymonkey, flashgames247, etc). So, in that respect we are careful. And, as mentioned, we have contacted authors in many cases. Glad to know that everything has been cleared.

Flag Post

Yes I agree with Coder… as long as the site is going to share revenue with the developer from advertising, they should make an effort to contact devs who offer ‘games for your site,’ to let them claim it. As a dev I appreciate how Kongregate uses discretion, it definitely seems like the best model to me.

Flag Post

As I’ve stated, we have contacted many of the sites we submitted freely from, and many of them have had games transferred to their accounts.

Flag Post

Well, that’s good then.

Not like it matters a whole lot, considering the nature of the Internet, and how most Webmasters just take the content (copyrighted or not), put it up on their page, earn advertising off it, and never bother with anything else. It’s admirable when sites make the effort, even though in my view it’s not really necessary (but nonetheless earns my respect).

Flag Post

Gamegum is just a stupid very ugly copy of kongregate