Forums Off-topic

Is Gamegum a ripoff?

7 posts

Flag Post

I don’t know about you but Gamegum seems to have borrowed a lot of ideas from Kongregate in terms of style/design as well as features. I spent a little time browsing the site and didn’t really see anything special except for the PM system. Anyways what do you guys think about it? I’m especially interested in hearing what Jim has to say.

Flag Post

Its similiar, some of the design I dont like; other features I wish we had. Some items are going to be inherently similiar unfortunately.

The user here named proph3t is the owner of GameGum http://www.kongregate.com/forums/2/topics/386

Flag Post

Actually, they’ve been around since before we launched though we didn’t hear about them until after. I’ve definitely seen some things (like the front page leaderboards) that were on our site get picked up on their site, but since we’ve been, shall we say, “inspired” by features on other sites ourselves, I don’t have a problem with that. Part of the continuing improvement in websites, games, consumer electronics, and just about everything else is people seeing features and mechanics that work well, and then incorporating them into their own work and raising the level as a whole.

Flag Post

Thanks for chiming in guys. I really don’t have anything against Gamegum I’m just too lazy to be active in more than one community.

Flag Post

So I think to answer the question of whether or not its a ripoff, I would say no, probably not.

Flag Post

I would agree with arcaneCoder. Gamegum is merely using some elements of Kongregate.

Flag Post

I would agree with arcaneCoder. Gamegum is merely using some elements of Kongregate.

Kongregate is merely using some elements of Gamegum.