Forums Off-topic

Quality, not quantity. (Too long, please read.)

61 posts

Flag Post

I’m taking time out of my busy schedule (namely, watching English dubs of Case Closed) to deliver to you fine members of OT an important message. (Really, the stupid video service makes me wait an hour between each hour of viewing, so I had nothing better to do.)

Anyway, before you press “Submit Reply”, you should take a moment to ask yourself if what you’re posting contributes to the topic at hand at all. I feel like I’ve seen this written someplace before… Oh yeah, the OT Guidelines:

The best way to combat spam is to take 10 seconds before posting to think “is this actually adding anything to the conversation?” If the answer is anything but a resounding “yes”, just don’t hit the “submit reply” button. I know it’s really super to see your name and avatar with words by it, but it’s not worth risking a silence or ban over.

Now I realise that sometimes people just don’t understand that their posts are spam. So, I’m here to elaborate and explain to you exactly what posts aren’t considered “contributing” to topics:

lol

This includes not only “lol” but also “rofl”, “lmao”, “hahahaha” or any other variations of laughter. And no, quoting the post that you’re laughing at doesn’t constitute contribution. Laughter doesn’t contribute at all to any discussion; it’s background noise. If you feel the need to congratulate someone for making a funny, do it via shouts or whispers.

tl;dr

You’re ratting yourself out with this one. If the post was so long that you didn’t read it, you can’t possibly have anything to say about it. (Duh.)

k

Again, this includes not only “k”, but also “kay”, “no”, “hmm”, “yep”, or any other one-word post that basically acknowledges that you read the thread’s title. Even if the thread’s topic is “Do you like frogs?” you should still post something more than “no”. Consider “No, I actually fear them and their huge muscles.” Or perhaps “Yes, I admire them for their huge muscles.”

B.

So poll threads can be fun… at least that’s what I hear. But when given a choice between various options, instead of just choosing one, explain why you made the choice you did. Simply posting a letter makes it appear as if you’re just trying to increase your post count by posting the fastest possible response to a thread.

inb4lock

Okay, so the rule is that if you think a thread is a spam/troll thread, don’t post in it. By saying “inb4lock”, you’re saying that you feel that the thread deserves a lock, implying that it is a spam/troll thread. Since you admit that you know it is a spam/troll thread by posting this, any “inb4lock” post should be an auto-silence, right?

Cool story, bro.

When you find yourself thinking about posting this, just tell yourself, “Don’t do it, bro.” Again, it contributes nothing to the topic and offers no real feedback to the OP (assuming there is actually a story being told).

I C WUT U DID THAR

Or to be frank, any other meme without context. They very rarely, if ever, contribute to the discussion.

Go away.

This includes “GTFO”, “STFU”, “Stop posting”, “Stop breathing”, and all other messages that summarise your loathing for another user. Guess what? These posts are harassment. Yep. AND they don’t contribute!

Flagged.

Telling people that you’ve flagged their posts does not contribute to the topic, and actually just invites harassment from all parties. Don’t do it, yo. bro.

[Somethin’]

Quoting quotes of quoted quotes is spam. Use the “bq.” or blockquote HTML tags, and try to avoid quoting posts when it’s unnecessary to get your point across. (Specifically when the post is directly above your own.)

[Image here.]

There is rarely an occasion when it is necessary to quote an image. The only time that comes to mind is if the image you’re discussing in your post is on the previous page. And even then, editing the post to say “[image]” typically suffices. Quoting images just clutters the pages, becoming spam.

[Demotivational posters, meme-pictures, etc.]

They’re not funny, especially if you didn’t make them. If you want to say something, say it with regular text, not an image that takes up 400×500px on everyone’s screen for four words and an unrelated picture of a cat/watermelon/guy with ugly chest hair.

I realise that this is only a portion of the no-topic spamposts that we see around. Hopefully it conveys its point, but I’ll add more as I’m reminded of them, I’m sure. Btw, don’t post here unless you have something to contribute to the topic. That’d be your warning.

Flag Post

Cool story, bro.

Just kidding, I have something to contribute.

I C WUT U DID THAR

I don’t understand why this is not accepted. It shows that you think what the other person said was witty/clever.

Flag Post

What about reminders for when you make a new topic? You forgot to add that(which could be useful considering how many threads that are locked every day).

Flag Post

“I C WUT U DID THAR” is nothing more than a longer version of “lol”. If you want to do something like this, there’s no problem with it:

Cool story, bro.
Just kidding, I have something to contribute.

LOL I C WUT U DID THAR! But seriously… [etc etc…]

But by itself, it contributes nothing.

What about reminders for when you make a new topic?

You mean like redirecting someone to the Introductions thread when they make a “Hey” topic? That’s perfectly fine, and actually preferred. It saves the moderators the trouble of having to redirect folk. >.>

Flag Post

I was thinking about a new textwall for spam topics…

Flag Post

“I C WUT U DID THAR” is nothing more than a longer version of “lol”.

Not necessarily. The meanings are quite different.

Flag Post

I can’t say “cool story bro” anymore :(

Flag Post

this is actually a nice piece of advise and warning on how OT is turning, people only posting memes 1 line replies to get post count, instead of taking time to give a thoughtful opinion on the thread
i think this should be a sticky, or part of OT guidelines
also, no poll threads, dont just say option a or option B, it would be nice to see more details

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vegard20:

I was thinking about a new textwall for spam topics…

Oh, Idk. Topic-by-topic is a little harder than post-by-post.

Not necessarily. The meanings are quite different.

The idea is that the discussion should be progressed with your post. In a thread about liking frogs, someone makes a joke about “croaking”. The post, “I C WUT U DID THAR” doesn’t contribute to the topic of frogs. However, if you post “I C WUT U DID THAR But yeah, personally I hate frogs.” it contributes.

You probably wouldn’t be silenced for it, but there’s a possibility of it being removed. Ultimately, posts that contribute to the topic, if even a little bit, show that OT has a bit more pride in the state of their forums.

I can’t say “cool story bro” anymore :(

You’re missing the idea, and that’s probably my fault. “Cool story, bro” isn’t innately bad. But by itself, it contributes nothing to the topic and is spam. If you say “Cool story, bro. But really, I like frogs a lot more than I like snakes.” then you’re contributing, and that’s fine.

dont just say option a or option B, it would be nice to see more details

This I agree with, and can add to the OP. About poll threads… I’m not sure exactly what the stance on them is at this point.

Flag Post

When it comes to the Flagging Post Button thingy.
Is a Description Prefered?
I Know it Says That It’s Optional.
But Does it Help if there is a Description.
Also,

[Demotivational posters, meme-pictures, etc.]

100% Agree, I Generally Find these Annoying and Groan Every-time I see One.

Cool story, bro.

And Submitting this is Just Showing how Lazy you are when it Comes to Patience, Same with the “tl;dr”, “k”, etc. Hate It.
Thinks for Ten Seconds

Flag Post

tl;dr

I kid, I kid.

Yeah, this is some good advice overall, though sometimes these things are needed (EG, when a post breaks down severely, it lightens the atmosphere, then collapses back to the starting topic.)

Flag Post

tl;dr?

Flag Post

When it comes to the Flagging Post Button thingy.
Is a Description Prefered?

This is what our flagging system currently looks like. As you can see, the first “BUMP” post is quite obviously spam, so there’s really no need to explain why you’re flagging it. But the second one is a little more jumbled and messy, and while there are lots of quotes, it’s not 100% clear if you’re flagging because of the pyramid or because it has harassment someplace, etc. So if the post is particularly long/messy, a reason can help.

Yeah, this is some good advice overall, though sometimes these things are needed (EG, when a post breaks down severely, it lightens the atmosphere, then collapses back to the starting topic.)

Right. And I’m sure that if you scoured my posts, I’m guilty of having a few of these as well. But the frequency of these non-posts lately has been just ridiculous.

Glompee

That’s the idea. Just a refresher course, if you will. And a slightly more in-depth look at the spam part.

Flag Post

Did the second person flag its own post? o_O What’s the point in that? >.>
EDIT: I was talking about the second post.

Flag Post

Did the person flag its own post? o_O What’s the point in that? >.>

Because it was spam

Flag Post

It’s Cocoa. Will we ever understand her?

Flag Post
Originally posted by AbusedZebra:

It’s Cocoa. Will we ever understand her?

about cocoa, i understand her desire to come to Kong and have fun, especially in OT and forums, but i think that everyone is taking it way too far now, every time she posts some trolls users most likely would turn the thread into harassment.
i know sometimes cocoa starts its, but its just not the way to respond, and i think the mods should look into the matter

Flag Post

Flag system looks confusion. I don’t want to be a mod ever.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SAL37:

Doesn’t look that confusing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SAL37:

How is that confusing? name of the poster in the top-left, forum_name/topic_name in the mid-top, the post right under the forum_name, the flags under the post(where the bold text is the flag reason and the person who flagged it is inside the parentheses)

Flag Post

How about when people derail a thread by talking about something completely unrelated?

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by Glompee:

How about when people derail a thread by talking about something completely unrelated?

going off-topic can give you a silence.(I did it and got 24 hours)

Flag Post

I C WUT U DID THAR

Nah, it’s good you took the time to type that. I’m sure your WhatPulse benefited.