Forums Off-topic

The correct pronounciation

59 posts

Flag Post

So there’s this day at lunch at my school and me and my friends were chatting and eating. A new student was playing a Game Boy Advanced game and he suddenly said “Pwned(he pronounced it ‘poned’)!” Someone else tells him “It’s not ‘poned’, it’s ‘pawned’.” They continue their argument whenever they see each other at lunch.

So my question for everyone is: Is pwned supposed to be pronounced ‘poned’, ‘pawned’ or something else?

Flag Post

No one can decide which is right, and anyone who says it irl doesn’t deserve to live.

Flag Post

Was there really any point doin it twice?

Flag Post

It’s pronounced as prawn.

Flag Post

Seriously?

Flag Post

Whoever gets in the position to say it gets to say it however they like, problem solved.

Flag Post

So it is. We can say it in any way we want. I should start a survey in my school about this.

Flag Post

it’s poned, period. see, “.” period. see again!

Flag Post

i think its poned.

Flag Post

Actually, it could be poned, pooned, or pawned! But which one?

Flag Post

According to “Pure Pwnage”, it’s still pronounced “owned”, due to it being a mispelling of the original term.

Flag Post

>No one can decide which is right, and anyone who says it irl doesn’t deserve to live.

Ohh. Well. It was nice knowing all of you then. I say it fairly frequently (‘poned’ btw (which I also say in real life. ‘Bee Tee Double-you’)) I find it quite amusing to bring net-lingo into the real world. I actually say “ponage” more than “poned” but I do say both. Go me.

Flag Post

onwed is the correct one i think

Flag Post

Ohh. Well. It was nice knowing all of you then. I say it fairly frequently (‘poned’ btw (which I also say in real life. ‘Bee Tee Double-you’)) I find it quite amusing to bring net-lingo into the real world. I actually say “ponage” more than “poned” but I do say both. Go me.

I meant people who say it completely seriously and all the time. They are really annoying since they get annoyed if they think someone’s saying it wrong or in the wrong context. As a joke is fine.

Flag Post

i usually say poned but its originally owned

Flag Post

As pointed out, its a misspelling of “owned”, therefore if it should be anything, it should be powned/poned, not “pawned”. “Pawned” developed afterwards, from people who didnt know where it came from and thought that was how its pronounced or wanted to be different (as if they weren’t already). But then, its not really a word so does it even matter? :P

Flag Post

i say pawned

Flag Post

Maybe it is a conflict of accents. I know us southerners use poned frequently, havn’t heard much of pawned unless its over the internet.

Flag Post

i say pawned

Flag Post

i still think its owned

Flag Post

pawned!

Flag Post

i have to disagree with you

Flag Post

I wonder why it’s called owned when it’s spelled pwned…
Maybe the person who created that word had a hard time in spelling…

Flag Post

or just got confused with words

Flag Post

Yeah.