Forums Off-topic

Health & Fitness page 67

2160 posts

Flag Post

Thanks guys, I’ll be sure to try them all out. Even better when I’ve only heard a few of the songs you suggested. :)

Flag Post

Settling for anything less than what you want and what inspires you takes away from one of the greatest and worst experiences of life. Hope. Hope to accomplish your dreams. To pay your rent, to provide for your family, or even to get off the streets. With a little hope, and a lot of work, anything’s possible. It is far better to aim for the moon, for if you miss you will still hit the stars. Stay strong, and stay hopeful.

Originally posted by TheIcyHeart:

Thanks guys, I’ll be sure to try them all out. Even better when I’ve only heard a few of the songs you suggested. :)

No problem!

Flag Post

i do more than this everyday (EXECPT TODAY I DIDNT FEEL LIKE DOING ANYTHING DOODODODOO BRUNO MARS SUKS)

Flag Post
Originally posted by riddleschool:

i do more than this everyday (EXECPT TODAY I DIDNT FEEL LIKE DOING ANYTHING DOODODODOO BRUNO MARS SUKS)

You sir are a gentlemen and a scholar.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Johnyboy29:

Has anyone tried Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 workout? Is boring but big okay for strength gains?

I can’t say I have, brother. Sorry!

Flag Post

What are your favorite compounds? For now my program consists of:

HIIT on bike
Dumbbell bicep curls
SQUATZ SQUATZ SQUATZ
Bench press
Smith Machine incline bench press
Pull-up
Dips
Either deadlifts, crunches or ab crunch machine depending on how i’m feeling
Leg press

Flag Post

Pushing my SUV around the parking lot for laps. Every lap, I’ll stop and do ten burpees.
Tire flipping (My comfort zone’s anything between 400 and 600)
Beating said Tire with my home-made 30 lb sledgehammer.
Traditional Squat.
Squat Lunge.
Clean and Jerk.
Snatch.
Bench Press.
Almost any exercise that targets biceps and forearms.

None of these are in any particular order.

Flag Post

how does your large amount of muscle impact your general agility/speed ?

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAznSensation:

how does your large amount of muscle impact your general agility/speed ?

None whatsoever. Unlike bodybuilders, strength athletes have to be just that, along with quite a few other things.

Strongman largely focuses on strength, yes. But many of the brands for the past couple decades have focused on putting in events that require speed as well, along with many that are just plain awkward. I.E, Log lift for reps, races, endurance competitions, etc. Most strongmen are very flexible and fairly healthy. I can still do a standing back tuck (back flip) as well as a front and back handspring series. =P

Flag Post
I can still do a standing back tuck (back flip)

I think I understand the general concept for that — you propel your weight in the direction that flips your body. (Right?)
For me, though, I tense up halfway and reduce my momentum; I get scared of losing control of my body and end up falling on my back.
Any recommendations for improvement in form or courage?
I don’t want to end up breaking my neck..

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAznSensation:
I can still do a standing back tuck (back flip)

I think I understand the general concept for that — you propel your weight in the direction that flips your body.
For me, though, I tense up halfway and reduce my momentum; I get scared of losing control of my body and end up falling on my back.
Any recommendations for improvement in form or courage?
I don’t want to end up breaking my neck..

Rule number 1, always keep your head tucked in. Your arms are your body’s steering wheel – use them. To acquire more height, you have to reach for more height. We have a technique termed “Riding the Jump”, which is where you wait until the very top of your jump to even start the flip.

Riding the jump helps fix many problems in terms of aesthetics – it’s just generally scary when you’re first learning it.

If you’ll permit me a little bit of time (maybe a day or so – I’m grotesquely busy) I can actually give you some drills that will help develop your back tuck. I own a couple of Gymnastics and Powertumbling gyms, and was national champion in Serbia on Rings.

EDIT : And as to that tid-bit about using your arms, you want the beginning of the back tuck to be a straight jump.

The Straight Jump

Now, of course, you don’t have to do yours on a beam. But still, you get the starting concept. ;)

Flag Post
If you’ll permit me a little bit of time (maybe a day or so – I’m grotesquely busy) I can actually give you some drills that will help develop your back tuck. I own a couple of Gymnastics and Powertumbling gyms, and was national champion in Serbia on Rings.

That would be much appreciated (=

Edit upon seeing your Edit: Very well, I shall become adept at Le Straight Jump.

Flag Post

Well recently I’ve dropped from 170pounds down to 165 or so.
I’m walking almost every day again after skipping a week or so.

Sadly Houston weather is coming in again so I’ll have to skip a few days since it’ll be going up to 99% humidity as well as tons of storms and temps in the high 70s.
I wish it’d just stay cold forever.

Thankfully the nice weather is coming back soon so I can continue walking 2miles or so a day.

Flag Post

May this serve as inspiration to never give up

http://i.imgur.com/OVeMz.jpg

Flag Post

Well I guess it’s kind of fitness related.

I used to be in size 42pants or something crazy like that.
Now I’m in 38s and I’m having to keep them up with a belt.

T-Thanks Hammer, you’re most likely the main reason why I actually lost so much considering my entire family thought I was “too skinny” and didn’t want to walk/run outside.
Now however we (me and my mom) run almost every single day.

>tfw no longer a blubbery pile of trash
People don’t fear my blubber anymore.
I’m actually cold when it’s “cold” outside instead of warm, without even having a jacket.

I honestly couldn’t of dropped this much weight without this thread.
Just in time for my school starting I started to look fairly okay. SOON.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

Sadly Houston weather is coming in again so I’ll have to skip a few days since it’ll be going up to 99% humidity as well as tons of storms and temps in the high 70s.

Thankfully the nice weather is coming back soon so I can continue walking 2miles or so a day.

I dig it, man. But not the weather. I can’t live any farther south than Kentucky – I’d rage.

Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

I dig it! But I hate that kind of weather. I can’t live farther south than Kentucky – I’d rage.

Originally posted by JehoMeho:

Well I guess it’s kind of fitness related.

I used to be in size 42pants or something crazy like that.
Now I’m in 38s and I’m having to keep them up with a belt.

T-Thanks Hammer, you’re most likely the main reason why I actually lost so much considering my entire family thought I was “too skinny” and didn’t want to walk/run outside.
Now however we (me and my mom) run almost every single day.

>tfw no longer a blubbery pile of trash
People don’t fear my blubber anymore.
I’m actually cold when it’s “cold” outside instead of warm, without even having a jacket.

I honestly couldn’t of dropped this much weight without this thread.
Just in time for my school starting I started to look fairly okay. SOON.

Thanks for your post! News like this is always inspirational and welcomed! Stay strong!

Flag Post

Out here to wish you guys and gals a very Merry Christmas!

Flag Post

Hey TGH couple questions.

1: What are some easier ways to unrack the barbell while benching without a spotter? Could barely get my PR up today
2: I felt dizzy after squats and couldn’t even finish my lat set, ideas?

Flag Post

>tfw you’ve been sick for over a week and you haven’t been able to go walking/running at all

Flag Post

>going walking

What are you a fifty years old couple

Flag Post
Originally posted by Get_Murked:

>going walking

What are you a fifty years old couple

hahahhhhhha

Flag Post

My wife suffers from chronic asthma, and for a long time she’s let that dictate what she does/doesn’t do. When she was at school though she trained to do the Ten Tors challenge, and thinking back to that, and also inspired by Paula Radcliffe who also has asthma (though not as severely, I believe), she’s decided to learn to run.

This helps me too. My knee injury is more or less healed, but I need to be very careful getting back into running so that it becomes strong rather than falling apart again. Coaching her through a gradual program should do us both good.

We’ll be doing a 5k race on April 7th (her first race ever), and in just under a year hope to do a full marathon together if all goes well at each stage.

Flag Post

Just bumping this thread for everyone.
Let’s make our own workouts we can do at home. :D Not all of us have a gym membership.

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

Just bumping this thread for everyone.
Let’s make our own workouts we can do at home. :D Not all of us have a gym membership.

Since you bumped it, I was expecting you to add an actual exercise instead of letting us do all the work.

Flag Post

Sure, I can post a workout. :)