Forums Off-topic

Is it wrong to think this?

32 posts

Flag Post

I am going to say what I honestly believe…

I believe that homosexuals have no choice in the matter of thier sexuality. It is something that they are born with. I believe that it is a sort of genetic abnormality. I feel that in the future, when we have advanced in the field of genetic engineering, we will be able to tell, before a person is born, what thier sexuality would be. It may even be possible to alter the genes.

One day, a doctor will stand in front of a couple and say, “You child will be a homosexual. If you want, we can change that.”

Having said that, I would like to point out that I fully support gay rights.
Is there anything wrong with this viewpoint?

Flag Post

That is plausible, but seeing this as an issue of ethics, there is no right or wrong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by afklol:

That is plausible, but seeing this as an issue of ethics, there is no right or wrong.

What I’m wondering about is how I say “genetic abnormality”. Some people might say that the phrase implies a disease that needs to be cured. That may offend some people.

It would be nice to get the opinion of a homesexual, but I would feel very awkward mentioning this to a gay person in real life.

Flag Post

If it is indeed genes that influences sexual preference, then it is IMO ok to say that. However, not all genetic abnormalities should be considered a disease. In fact, genetic abnormalities has roots in evolution.

Flag Post

I wouldn’t support this theory
Choosing alternative sexual relation is a matter of choice IMO

And even genes cannot fully determine what person will be like; Surrounding environment will play a huge role in the development of an individual, even though certain gene that might expose a person to homosexuality might make that person more inclined to embrace homosexuality as their sexual relation

And while doctors of future might be (and very likely will be) able to tell whether a person has genes that might make a person to embrace homosexuality more likely (than the one who does not have those genes), it does not mean that a person will be homosexual unless true fate exists

Ask from yourself: Is it right to be determinist and a person who believes into inevitable fate?

What I got from your viewpoint is that you’re believing into fate and you’re trying to explain it with genes

And if you resort into deterministic viewpoint like yours when supporting for the homosexual persons rights then I’d say you’re thinking it right. I don’t care if one believes into fate be as there is nothing harmful in it and I cannot prove my viewpoint about chaos theory to be correct either

Your opinions are yours, mine is mine. There is no correct or incorrect on this matter

Maybe you’d need an euphenism for your “genetic abnormality” to make it not sound insultive or racist

Flag Post

Fate and genetics are completely different things.

You said that surrounding enviornment plays a huge role…
so do you think that a homosexual couple that adopts a child can cause the child to become a homosexual themself?
That idea has been proven false

Flag Post

I feel as though it depends. Someone could very well be born with a set orientation, whereas other people may have to experiment a little to find out what makes them truly happy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by holleratthesunn:

I feel as though it depends. Someone could very well be born with a set orientation, whereas other people may have to experiment a little to find out what makes them truly happy.

True, but I believe that what they are more inclined towards is determined by thier genetics. They may need to experiment to discover what they want, but what they discover is something that has always been part of them.

Flag Post

Fate and genetics are completely different things.

They are. But what I found you implying was that the genes have pre-determined our sexual preference, therefore implying in belief of fate. A man with normal sexuality has normal genes. Man whose sexual relation is homosexual has abnormal genes. For me, that is a straight implication to belief in pre-determined things

You said that surrounding enviornment plays a huge role? so do you think that a homosexual couple that adopts a child can cause the child to become a homosexual themself?

No, I do not
While the surrounding environement does play a huge role in a development of an individual, it is not just the parents that are effecting into childs viewpoint about homosexuality. A child is not completely isolated from the rest of the world and media from where he embraces parts of culture, habits and information. It may very likely be that a child embraces his world views from outer world, not just parents, particularly if this homosexual couple somehow mistreats the child and makes the child to mentally block his parent(s) (I have personal experience :/)

I must agree with the fact that the more you expose to something… The more likely it heavily impacts on you so there is generally higher chance that a person who was risen by homosexual parents is more likely to become a homosexual by himself, although, that is far away from inevitable

While parents weighs more on a scale of surrounding environment, it does not guarantee that child embraces huge portion of his viewpoints, stances and sexuality from his parents

It’s quite likely that you’ll put your child into school eventually. In school, your child feels more comfortable with his peers if he represents sexual mainstream, not homosexuality. This is just one enviromental factor which will effect into childs sexuality and acts as a counterweight to parents homosexuality. If this child truly loves his parents but does not feel comfortable about him being a homosexual, then he’s likely to accept homosexuality as a sexual preference while realizing he doesn’t have to or want to be homesexual by himself

To conclude, parents aren’t the only enviromental factor and it’s weight of effectiviness strongly varies

Care to take this into Serious Discussion forum? I’d love to argue more in a place where lines and more lines of paragraphs in a single post fits better than in a place where “TL;DR” culture is rather dominant

Flag Post

I believe that homosexuals have no choice in the matter of thier sexuality.

There’s no evidence to suggest that.

Flag Post

That’s like saying you, being a perfectly game human being, can suddenly like grandmas.
Even though they are completely different in every way.
Or that’s like saying to a normal male to be attracted to babies, they can’t just magically be attracted to them.

Isn’t that evidence enough?

Flag Post

What you said about it being I choice or not it really gos both ways some people it’s not a choice to me it an a lot of people I know it is… I find woman to be better looking/hotter how ever you want to say than any guy but, I like gay sex better so I chose to be with men not woman.

Flag Post

I think most people have the capability to love either gender. Most children are just brought up to think that it is normal to love the opposite gender, and before they even enter puberty, the idea has been engrained into them so strongly that they don’t question it.

There might be certain people who are born homosexual, but I think the “normal” is that everyone is born bi, and most people just discard that long before they have a chance to even know what it means.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Yes, and the sooner we can fix it, the better because…

No homosexuals=No Homophobes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZombieLuigi:

thats not true if you could some how get ride of gays people would still be scared/homophobic that there could be gays out there.

Flag Post

This is an argument of nature vs. nurture. How much of a person is decided by genes and how much by upbringing? I believe, as do most people, that it’s a combination of factors that cause a person to be the way that her or she is. So I don’t think that will ever happen, at least not on a large scale. However, you’re not wrong in thinking anything, thoughts are thoughts.
inb4thisbelongsinsd

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZombieLuigi:

That’s not true at all though, apply the same logic to other arguments and you will see why it isn’t.

Not to mention there would clearly be people not changing their babies, or if it’s mandatory, hiding till they are born.
I know I wouldn’t change my baby from being a fag just because “It’s not morally correct” in others eyes, that’s how (s)he was going to be born, that’s how (s)he should be born.

Flag Post

Let’s take this nature vs nurture debate and apply it to other animals. How can “nurture” play a role on a gay penguin? “Most children are just brought up to think that it is normal to love the opposite gender, and before they even enter puberty, the idea has been engrained into them so strongly that they don’t question it.” How can this possibly be applied to them?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

That’s like saying you, being a perfectly game human being, can suddenly like grandmas.
Or that’s like saying to a normal male to be attracted to babies, they can’t just magically be attracted to them.

wot

Flag Post
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

wot

What he meant to say is that, as a heterosexual, you may find a girl attractive and may find another one not attractive. You never chose you’d feel attracted to the girl though, it just happens. If someone orders you to become a homosexual, you can’t decide you like males from now on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MadJedi:
Originally posted by FullMeasureZam:

wot

What he meant to say is that, as a heterosexual, may find a girl attractive and may find another one not attractive. You never chose you’d feel attracted to the girl though, it just happens. If someone orders you to become a homosexual, you can’t decide you like males from now on.

What you find attractive isn’t in your genetics…

Flag Post

damnit madjedi stop micromanaging

Flag Post

TL;DR gays are the devil

Flag Post

What you find attractive isn’t in your genetics…

Why not? Your brain interpret if something is “attractive”, and your body is always related to genetics to a certain degree.