Forums Off-topic

How would you fare in a situation of mutually assured destruction?

25 posts

Flag Post

Imagine that both you and your worst enemy both had explosives attached to yourselves. You had a remote control with a button that gave your enemy a thirty minute warning, and then blew him up. He had a button that did the same to you.

1. Given the circumstances above, would you push the button?

2. If you found out that your enemy was planning to design a special suit for himself that would block the signals coming from your remote control, would you push the button before he accomplished his goal?

3. If you found out that your enemy was tampering with his remote control and had made it so that you were no longer given the thirty-minute warning before you blew up, would you push the button?

4. If your enemy made threats to you, punched you in the face, and attempted to steal your remote control, would you push the button?

5. If he pushed his button,* would you push yours?

*The button that would blow you up.

Flag Post

Yes to all because I’m no one’s bitch

Flag Post

1. No. I love myself far too much.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

Flag Post

1. I would say “if you dont push your button, I wont push mine” If he fails to comply, I push my button

2. Yes, of course

3. Yes, of course (ever heard of deju vu?)

3. Yes, of course (jeez i’m getting dizzy)

4. Yes, of course (ever heard of deju vu?)

Flag Post

I’m sure glad you guys weren’t world leaders during the Cold War.

Flag Post

1-4: Yes
5: No

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlextheGreat13:

I’m sure glad you’re not my psycologist…

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheRoflWaffle:

Wtf why

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThatsSoMFT:

Wtf why

Why would I want to blow myself up?

Flag Post

On number five, I meant your enemy would push the button that blew you up. You realize that, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ThatsSoMFT:

Wtf why

Why would I want to blow myself up?

For number 5, the other guy already activated the bomb on you with his remote
He deserves to die

Flag Post

On number five, I meant your enemy would push the button that blew you up. You realize that, right?

Oh shit, scratch that.
Yes to all.

Flag Post

1. No, I would try to see if we could both live
2. No, logically this would block his signal too
3. Yes, probably, since there is no way in this case that he could be protecting himself
4. Yes
5. Only at the last second before I died in case I could be saved

Flag Post

Yes to all of them.

Flag Post

In your situation you’re talking about, at most, two lives lost. During the Cold War all humanity could have been killed. I don’t think the situations are similar enough to make comparisons.

Flag Post

Everyone here has pretty much said yes to all… except Cizinec… seems the choice is pretty easy

Flag Post

No to all, nuclear peace ftw

Flag Post

This is like a more complicated version of the Prisoner’s Dilemma. I’m not going to pretend like I’m clever; I saw OP’s post later in the thread so I’m going to assume this is an analogy for the Cold War.
With number 1, if I pushed the button, he would push the button back. If he pushed the button, I would push it back. So in number 1, I wouldn’t push the button unless he did and hoped he did the same.
In number 2, I would be more tempted to push the button but I still wouldn’t. It might take him a long time to build his bomb-proof suit and chances are he wouldn’t blow me up once he built his suit because I would no longer be a danger to him. Still, I would try to find out how his new signal-blocking suit worked and would attempt to build a controller that would still work against him, just in case he’s more of an asshole than I thought.
In number 3 I would do the exact same thing as he was doing and push it the second I was done. If I pushed the button immediately he would blow me up and we’d both die. Of course, he might finish before I do and blow me up, but I’d rather take the risk that he blows me up for the possibility of me blowing him up (and maybe I’d get lucky and his button would still give me a warning).
In number 4, I would start working on a device that would cause my button to automatically push if it was more than twenty feet away from me, so that way if he did steal my remote we’d both die. Otherwise, I still wouldn’t push the button, because as long as he doesn’t push his I have no reason to kill him.
In number 5, yes. If I’m going down, he’s going down with me.

Flag Post

It doesn’t matter because I’d just steal a rocket thing from NASA, go to space, get a helmet, push my button in the vacuum of space, wait for the other dude to do the same, and hope the explosion doesn’t happen. And that the guys on Earth don’t remotely direct my rocket back.
Except I don’t know how to operate a rocket thing, if they have any operational ones at the moment, and if I’d get past security.

Ok so

1. No
2. No, I’d spy on him to figure out how to make the same suit
3. Probably
4. No, I’d just fight him and maybe take his remote
5. Maybe

Flag Post

I would take off the goddamn explosives and press the button, then make as much distance between me and the bomb as possible and hope my enemy doesn’t get the same idea.

Flag Post

I would push the button no matter what because I’m evil.

Flag Post
Originally posted by musared:

I would push the button no matter what because I’m evil.

Flag Post

This.

Flag Post

Can’t I just remove the explosives from myself?

Also, 30 minutes is enough to call a anti-bomb squad.

But before I would propose him not to press.

Flag Post

1. No.
2. No. Develop or Copy the suit to use it myself.
3. Tamper mine aswell, and make an automatized system, so in case of detonation it would activate the explosive charge automatically.
4. Yes if he tried to either punch or steal it.
5. Yes.