Forums Off-topic

Forum Sorting Script

88 posts

Flag Post

Preview of a script for forum games that I just started on.

Which do you prefer:

[removed]

(The difference is where the page numbers are in relation to the games section)

Basically, it moves the games on the page to their own area and removes the [tags] from the titles. It will also hide the games for those who don’t care about them.

Comments?

02/14/09:

Layouts no longer apply. A different layout is used and the script can be installed: Install Greasemonkey Topic Sorting Script

Flag Post

Layout 1 is much better. I hope you add that in.

Flag Post

Awesome, it looks good. You should add # 1.

Flag Post

Wow, that’s going to make things a lot nice and cleaner!

I have to wonder, when you make a forum game will you have the option to put into the ‘forum game’ part (and for signups you would choose to put it under that section vice versa)?

Also… is the first section only going to have two slots, or did you just cut off the screenshot?

I vote for layout #1, by the way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PlatypusMan:

Awesome, it looks good. You should add those.

Which one is the question. I’m leaning towards #1. Of course, I could put them elsewhere too.

Flag Post

It’s great that there’s finally a games section :D

1. is better

Flag Post
Originally posted by Marh:

Wow, that’s going to make things a lot nice and cleaner!

I have to wonder, when you make a forum game will you have the option to put into the ‘forum game’ part (and for signups you would choose to put it under that section vice versa)?

Also… is the first section only going to have two slots, or did you just cut off the screenshot?

It works off of the [tag] system (see games sticky). There are no slots, it’s not a separate section. It just takes the games on the page and moves them; or hides them if you choose.

Flag Post

Yeah format one looks good. Looks better than having em moved under the page numbers.

Flag Post

I like Layout 2 more. Though the page turn and new topic are no longer at the bottom, Layout 1 gives an impression that there may be more Games or Sign-ups on the next page. The way I understand it, only a certain number of games may be made at a time.

Also, by having New Topic at the bottom of the screen, it lends to the idea that someone can create a Sign-up or Game if they please, without signing up to create the game. By having it at the middle of the page, though awkward at first, I think it explains better than you may make a new topic, but not a Sign-up or Game.

But that’s a question, I suppose: To put a game in the Sign-up or Games area, will you be physically moving them? Or can users choose to place them there? If they can choose to place them there, I suppose Layout 1 is better in the end because we’re all used to it. But if a moderator must physically move it, I like Layout 2. (EDIT: Nevermind. I got super ninja’d. Lol.)

Just my two cents.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

It’s not really a games section… Just added to the bottom of the OT forum.

Also, would the page have the same amount of topics on it as it has now, or more?

There are no slots, it’s not a separate section. It just takes the games on the page and moves them; or hides them if you choose.

Hiding is very good.

Flag Post

Nothing is moved by users or mods. You tag it with [game] or [signup] and it moves itself.

Originally posted by billyfred:

Also, would the page have the same amount of topics on it as it has now, or more?

Same. If you hide the games it will be less. That’s the downside of a script.

Flag Post
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Nothing is moved by users or mods. You tag it with [game] or [signup] and it moves itself.

Yeah, I realize that now. Heh. I suppose I like Layout 1, then. Much easier.

Looking good so far, though. I like the idea.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

Looks great, #1 has my ‘vote’

Flag Post

bottom, although there weren’t much of a different

Flag Post

Bottom one is much better. Can’t wait for this.

Flag Post

Votes

Top: 5

Bottom: 2

So far, neither one is liked better. Though arcaneCoder himself says he’s leaning towards #1, so we’ll see where that goes.

edit: 5 against 2, now :p

Flag Post

If we’re starting a vote, put mine under Layout 1 if you put it for Layout 2. I’ve changed my mind, now that it has been clarified.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

Pretty nifty, I think #1 looks a bit more clear.

Flag Post

That’ll definitely help make the place a bit easier to navigate. I go for #1, as have the ‘new topic’ button and page numbers at the bottom/top is the standard place to have them on forums, and is more convenient.

Flag Post

I like it. Nice job :)
I like the top one better too

Flag Post

Second one is bettar.

Flag Post

1st one. They are both very good. Just another great improvement cant wait. This should make things very well organized as well.

Flag Post

I’m adding in the ability to sort and hide locked threads (for those who hate staring at them); so if you have any suggestions on that, feel free to make them.

Also, drop any other related suggestions here too.

Flag Post

But… doesn’t that imply you can only choose one of those options? Wouldn’t you need to have to scrolls (can’t remember what they’re called), one for games and another for locked threads? … or you could make it a check box.

Flag Post

No, selecting hide games and go would hide the games. Then selecting hide locked and clicking go would hide locked. I may do checkboxes, but if I add more stuff then I don’t want to have boxes everywhere.