Forums Off-topic

how deadly were the ancient spartans?

72 posts

Flag Post

from what i can tell, the spartans were very deadly foes who spent the majority of their lives preparing for combat. newborn boys who were handicapped were left to die by the state. young boys were first sent to training at the age of seven. they were sent to training camps with little food and clothing, which encouraged them to steal. if they were cought they were punished, not for stealing, but for being caught. by the age of twelve, a spartan boy was treated much harsher, had more tasks and much more difficult and physical training and were only allowed to wear tunics in the winter. a spartan would reach adulthood, and make his first kill at the age of 18 and still go through tough training in the spartan army. spartans were typically armed with a spear, sword and shield. one spartan was said to be equal to several other city-state soldiers.

is there a deadlier foe out there who spent much more brutal training and is deadlier than this?

Flag Post

you could have just googled this ._.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tman12:

you could have just googled this ._.

i knew most of it, wikied some.

Flag Post

well, all history has told us is that 300 of them killed over a 1000000 with little to no casualtys. so they were real hard @$$es.

Flag Post

Spetznaz.

Flag Post

I remember an interesting story about a 15 year old spartan boy (age might be off, sorry) that was starving enough to try to steal a live fox by hiding it under his shirt. It had eaten his skin and organs before he died. He didn’t take it out of his shirt or cry out. Yeah, I think they were beaten into fighting machines. Quite the interesting history anecdote.

Edit: Found a link to the story Spartan Boy and the Fox

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:

I remember an interesting story about a 15 year old spartan boy (age might be off, sorry) that was starving enough to try to steal a live fox by hiding it under his shirt. It had eaten his skin and organs before he died. He didn’t take it out of his shirt or cry out. Yeah, I think they were beaten into fighting machines. Quite the interesting history anecdote.

4chan isn’t a good place to learn history.

Edit: WELL LAH DEE DAH MISTER FINDS GOOD SOURCES

Flag Post
Originally posted by hero122:

well, all history has told us is that 300 of them killed over a 1000000 with little to no casualtys. so they were real hard @$$es.

History says nothing of the sort. That was an action movie that contained about as much truth as the back of a box of cereal.

Here is a more accurate account of what happened.

Flag Post

as much truth as the back of a box of cereal.

CANDY FOR BREAKFAST??

Flag Post

You fail. In the battles before the final stand, there were 300 Spartans and 10,000 Greek soldiers from the other city states. There was also an epic naval battle, and a rearguard force defending a path. Can’t remember how many of those there were. In the final stand, 1,000 Greeks held the rear for the Spartans, but were crushed. The Spartans were killed soon after. The 9,000 Greeks Leonidas sent away to help defend the city states? Guess how that ended.

Flag Post

Do you think before you press ‘Submit Reply’?

Flag Post

QFT

Lol I know and the spastan queen gorgo is sooooo hawt!
I herd she had a d cup size and was a cheerleader in high schoool

Flag Post

Flag Post

Anvharians

Flag Post
Originally posted by daspamma:

im keeping that…

Flag Post

Did OP take this from a history textbook?

Flag Post
Originally posted by UzumakiNaruto:

probably not. (because the post seems to have too many myths in it)
Though….
Athenians had an extremely similar way of warfare as the Spartans, and generally held more power than Sparta.

Also, I think the power of the Spartan and Athenian armies were strongly based on their phalanx formation, their training doesn’t seem to really their strength, their training would probably would be based on the trust required for a phalanx formation.

And if you are just considering deadliness, the U.S. Military probably beats them by a little…

Flag Post

The movie was actually a big fail. But let’s not forget it is a movie, which means it doesn’t need to be based on real events. Anyway, the numbers are actually true. The spartans were 300 and the Persians were a lot more. (I’m not sure about that 1000000 number hero122)

You fail. In the battles before the final stand, there were 300 Spartans and 10,000 Greek soldiers from the other city states. There was also an epic naval battle, and a rearguard force defending a path. Can’t remember how many of those there were. In the final stand, 1,000 Greeks held the rear for the Spartans, but were crushed. The Spartans were killed soon after. The 9,000 Greeks Leonidas sent away to help defend the city states? Guess how that ended.

True, but we’re talking about the final Thermopylae battle. (where only 300 spartans fought against the persians) Anyway, that was a very good point 1132!

Originally posted by akaski:
Originally posted by UzumakiNaruto:

probably not. (because the post seems to have too many myths in it)

Though….

Athenians had an extremely similar way of warfare as the Spartans, and generally held more power than Sparta.

Also, I think the power of the Spartan and Athenian armies were strongly based on their phalanx formation, their training doesn’t seem to really their strength, their training would probably would be based on the trust required for a phalanx formation.

And if you are just considering deadliness, the U.S. Military probably beats them by a little…

I disagree. The spartans were far more powerful than the Athenians. During the (Pelloponnian? I don’t know the spelling of that) war, (431 – 404 bC) the spartans won. Don’t forget that the Spartans were being trained in how to fight, since they were 8 years old. This is a huge advantage (considering that Athenians developed alongside other arts)

Flag Post

I’LL TELL YOU ONE THING THEY’RE NOT AS STRONG AS SPARTAN 117 HIGH FIVE

silence

Flag Post

any crazy guy with a gun is more dangerous than a spartan

Flag Post
Originally posted by dragonshield:

any crazy guy with a gun is more dangerous than a spartan

This guy would so win.

But in all seriousness, the Ancient Spartans were a very powerful war-based society. Maybe not like in the movie 300, but there is no telling what battle was like for them.

Flag Post

WOW SO AMAZING!

Flag Post

Flag Post

u guys r stupd in 300 300 sparrtans killed like 1billion persians wit only sswords

Flag Post

it’s casualties , sir