Forums Off-topic

Nonoba.

38 posts

Flag Post

Hi everyone, I’m Henrik and one of the people behind Nonoba.

First of all, I’d like to apologize for the behaviour of some of our users that thought it was a splendid idea to come here and spam your forums in some sort of fanboy war. It was a really stupid idea, and we’ve spent our Monday morning cleaning it up and banning a bunch of users on our side. We will definitely discourage our users from ever doing something like this again. Thank you ArcaneCoder and AlisonClaire for dealing with this on your end of it.

We’ve put up a news post on Nonoba that hopefully clarifies our position to our users, and anyone else that is interested in the underlying allegations:

http://www.nonoba.com/news/on-forum-spamming

Feel free to contact me on Nonoba or here if you have any further questions or comments. And remember, we’re all about playing games and having fun. :-)

Flag Post

It was a really stupid idea, and we’ve spent our Monday morning cleaning it up and banning a bunch of users on our side. We will definitely discourage our users from ever doing something like this again. Thank you ArcaneCoder and AlisonClaire for dealing with this on your end of it.

Sorry that someone from our side decided to spam your forum as well…It was kinda like watching a slow train wreck happen early this morning.

[edit] I’d like to add that another one of our moderators Nabb was one of the few moderators who were on at the time, and he did stuff as well.

Flag Post

I can’t think of anything to say, except that the community on your site disgusts me. (Not just because of this, for other reasons too, like nobody would help me with a problem in achievements and some retard called me a spy (though I am xD) and told me to leave.)

Seriously, you need to find a way to make your community nicer, maybe change some problems around the site so the community will not be as frustrated?

Flag Post

Thanks for the post Henrik and the efforts. Unfortunately it often seems that the most vocal people also happen to be the most opinionated and least forgiving. :)

Slightly off topic, while I was on Nonoba helping clean up the mess and chatting with users, I noticed the anti-caps lock chat feature. Very nice. ;)

Flag Post

“I can’t think of anything to say, except that the community on your site disgusts me. (Not just because of this, for other reasons too, like nobody would help me with a problem in achievements and some retard called me a spy (though I am xD) and told me to leave.) "

I am quite sure there was some pretty bad feelings flowing around yesterday, and our community is by no way large enough that developers hang out in the main chat. Feel free to try again in the developers forum or the developers chat room. Even send me a private message on nonoba (Chris) if the API is acting really strange.

Flag Post

What I tried to tell some of our users as well is they shouldn’t really expect a warm welcome if they go over there saying they are thieves in an immature way (mature discussions are another thing). I don’t think any community would act nicely towards such people.

Flag Post

>Thank you ArcaneCoder and AlisonClaire for dealing with this on your end of it.

I just came in on the tail end and did my best to make happyhappyfuntime with everyone. greg, damijin and arcane were the ones who cleaned up our forums and I’m sure there were many mods dealing with stuff in chat. So while I appreciate the thanks, I played a very small part of it. This is what I posted over there:

>As another Kongregate user and moderator I would also like to extend my sincerest apologies for the actions of a few of our users. The vast majority of us are glad to see any sites that are promoting flash gaming as it’s what we all love and want to share with the rest of the internet. Honestly, I feel like all of us just want to show the world the wonders of collecting squiggles in a pair of amazingly fancy pants and until that happens we’re all on the same side.
I know if I were you I would be appalled with the behavior of Kongregate users but please understand that it was a very vocal minority and the rest of us wish you nothing but luck.

I just want to remind us Kongregants of that too. We’re all on the same side. WOO flash games!

I also spent quite a while chatting at Nonoba and, since this was after everyone was mostly cooled down, I experienced nothing but kindness. There are also some amazingly cool chat features at Nonoba (including the anti capslock) that made me quite jealous. Gender specific username colors? awesome. Green messages when someone says your name? awesome. The ability to scroll over a name and see a full size version of their avatar? awesome. Anyway, I’m glad that most people are sane and civil on both sides.

>I can’t think of anything to say, except that the community on your site disgusts me. (Not just because of this, for other reasons too, like nobody would help me with a problem in achievements and some retard called me a spy (though I am xD) and told me to leave.)
Seriously, you need to find a way to make your community nicer, maybe change some problems around the
site so the community will not be as frustrated?

SF, 1) if you were a spy then don’t be offended to be called out as such. 2) Read all of the Nonoba threads on kong and see what our users said about their site, that have every reason to be upset about it. Also, how nice do you think we look with all of those comments? Also, calling their user a “retard” and their community “disgusting” aren’t very nice things to do.

we’d all better check ourselves before we wreck ourselves!

Flag Post

I’m glad that’s all cleared out. So it seems that Nonoba doesn’t steal games or Kongregate’s features, we just got there first.

Flag Post

he ability to scroll over a name and see a full size version of their avatar?

I saw aC avatar for the first time! in full size it says hawk on his shirt.

we’d all better check ourselves before we wreck ourselves!

love the rhyme scheme.

Flag Post

Personally, the apology was way too self serving and didn’t really do much to make me beleive that you actually care about our feelings. But at least you apologized.

Flag Post

Jesus, mils, shut up. You are continuing to make this community look like a group of 10 year old selfish fools. His apology was every bit as sincere as any of ours and I’d venture much more sincere than yours. Why must you persist in spewing hateful and patronizing comments?

Flag Post

didn’t really do much to make me beleive that you actually care about our feelings.

YOU DONT CARE ABOUT MY FEELINGS!! cries in corner

Flag Post

Chill pills, people. Hateful comments and personal attacks arn’t going to help anything =)

Flag Post

Well, I didn’t even know that this happened, but I appreciate that you went out of your way to apologize. Although I could not switch from Kongregate, your site has some nice features.

Chill pills, people.

Kind of off-topic, buuuut…. DO WANT!

Flag Post

Personally, the apology was way too self serving and didn’t really do much to make me beleive that you actually care about our feelings. But at least you apologized.

Considering that the accusations came from us and we’re aimed at them, I’d say he’s completely entitled to defend his site, just as we would if they hurled accusations at us. Be happy he apologized at all, since they had to face both accusations and mass spam from you guys and could have chosen to respond differently.

Don’t judge the apologies of others too harshly if you can hardly muster up one for your own actions. Leave things be please.

Flag Post

Tesfan, you’re right. And I’m sorry I did that here, I should have just sent a whisper but I wanted the people from Nonoba to know that not all of us feel that way and don’t agree with what he’s saying. Anyway, eats chill pill(ow)

Flag Post

My 2 cents on that: AC’s frustration is understanding since situations and attitudes like these undo a lot of the hard work many of us have put into this community. Besides, she was up till like 4:30 am helping to clean up this mess and get people off their high horses :)

Besides, if some users don’t let the dust settle peacefully here, I will quite unhappily suspend their accounts until things blow over, just for the sake of peace. I’d much prefer to get away with the 1 suspension for the person who did the spamming.

Flag Post

At the very least, this is all settled now.

Flag Post

At the very least, this is all settled now.

Dear God, I certainly hope so. The last thing we need is another Newgrounds/4Chan rivalry.

Flag Post

Dear God, I certainly hope so. The last thing we need is another Newgrounds/4Chan rivalry.

Last year a certain king of kyds had came and he was here to spy on things that we had that his site didn’t have. Cheap. He was from FreeOnlineGames.

I don’t want barrens to suffer another of those, but now it will end up being Starfighter Disputed galaxy chat #1 this time.

Flag Post

Considering that the accusations came from us and we’re aimed at them, I’d say he’s completely entitled to defend his site, just as we would if they hurled accusations at us. Be happy he apologized at all, since they had to face both accusations and mass spam from you guys and could have chosen to respond differently.

We had to face mass spam from them and we didn’t blame them. He is entitled to defend his site, but at the very least he should keep it out of his apology for the spam. It just seems like he is trying really hard to make us feel bad when most of us already do regret the actions of ourselves and others. We apologized unconditionally, and I normally expect an apology to not include a jab at the person you are apologizing too. If he would have defended his site in the forum topics, or in the chat, it would have been fine, but putting it in the apology isn’t exactly polite.

Don’t judge the apologies of others too harshly if you can hardly muster up one for your own actions. Leave things be please.

But I did apologize for my actions, unconditionally. I didn’t add in a “but you guys are still theives” thing at the end of it, or something similar.

Flag Post

Personally, I never participated in any of this Kongregate/Nonoba conflict, but I DID notice that there was a great deal of immaturity on both sides. Being one who has participated in something similar (Three Word Story… >.<) I find it disheartening that a select few of our users have made the rest of us look bad. To any Nonoba users reading this, I apologize on behalf of those who spied on you, and to the rest of our users, let’s just drop it, hmm? Like AlisonClaire said, we’re all on the same side here. We just want to show flash games to the world. If the Nonoba users prefer that, that’s fine, just don’t bug them about it.

Flag Post

Actually I thought that they spammed us, giving us a point. The problem is now that I said that I’m about to get flamed by people since this paragraph is tiny. This war has gone far enough. And now I also think that the minicity things should end. Now. Not all gaming sites are on the same side, though. (Not to mention free online games cough) Its just “this person is immature and I think he should just get a life because this is just the internet” this. And “Wow I think your talking about yourself instead” that. I hear both WAY too much. And THATS my problem. The reason I hoped to prevent this message was because revenge should be counted but never was. Not to mention the flaming that will now start. But thats basicly all I want to say.

Flag Post

I created a somewhat immature thread… I have apologized to Henrik himself, on his profile… I feel really bad about what I did.

Flag Post

It’s all better now Marh, don’t feel bad about it. There was some confusion, and this cleared it up.