Galaxy Championships Preview I

27 posts

Flag Post

Greetings Commanders! The Galaxy Championships that the Federation has been carefully planning are almost here! This is a brand new Player-versus-Player (PvP) feature that promises to bring our multiplayer feature to another level! While the Federation endorses the spirit of friendly competition there will also be tremendous rewards and prestige at stake in the Championships. Come with your best fleets and crew to test yourself in a battle of wits and might with your peers!

The following is an FAQ for the Galaxy Championships.

Note
>> As the feature is still under development, the information provided may be subject to change. Stay tuned for more details over the coming weeks as we preview more on Galaxy Online II’s most prestigious tournament yet!

Q: What do I need to qualify for the Galaxy Championships?
A: You will first need to achieve a certain League Rank before you are deemed worthy to battle the best in the Federation. We remind each of you to participate daily in the League and attain the highest possible Rank for entry to the Championships.

Q: When are the Championships held?
A: The Championships will be held once a week, most likely on weekends. The tournament will be divided into 3 phases: registration, start of the tournament, and end of tournament.

Q: How are participants matched and the winner determined?
A: The system will match players based on their relative strength. Each battle will consist of two teams of 10 players. The winning side will then progress to the next round where the system will then proceed to reassign brackets.

Q: What will it cost to join the Championships?
A: Players will only lose He3 expended in battle. All ships will remain intact after the tournament.

Q: What can I win in the Championships?
A: Players that progress to the next round of the Championships will earn points that can be used to exchange for powerful Blueprints and Commanders.

Q: What is the difference between the Champions’ Mall and the Honor Mall?
A: The Champions’ Mall will carry blueprints and Commanders that only Champions deserve! You can even get blueprints of limited edition ships no longer available anywhere else!

Flag Post

I think the winning side members should gain a prize and not only the person who wins the bracket matches from the winning side advancing because WW will of course dominate the entire event just like raids.

Flag Post

cool’’

Flag Post

How many fleets can a player use? Will it be 4 fleets like League is now?

Are you sure about expending He3? Four fleets of full of He3 could top 10 million rez, and since it is lost you should only fill it partially. But then your opponent could win just by tanking and running down your He3. Anyways, how would we reload He3 between bouts? Personally, I’d much prefer a reasonable gold entry fee, like League. That way the costs are fixed and you’ll know you have enough beforehand to complete all the rounds.

How are draws handled?

Flag Post

Will you be able to fuse these cards without unbinding them first? Or will the players be forced to pay? Will the BP’s be locked so only the “Elite few” can have them or turn them into Corsair’s Gold? Buying “bound” stuff that is utterly worthless against WW’s is of no service to the players that will help you grow.

Please fix:
Chat- PM system consistently fails.
Ability to fuse your comms- Should not be exclusive to people with money if you earn them.
These two are among the most irritating^

I’ve invested a bit into this game, and I would really like to see fixes before I think about dropping another cent. Thanks.

Flag Post

Cool a new feature! Championships to see who is the best on the server, great idea.
But how are you going to correct the imbalance in the game?
Only the best get rewards, so the best get stronger faster, how are others supposed to catch up?

Flag Post

When will this start?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fortunate:

Cool a new feature! Championships to see who is the best on the server, great idea.
Only the best get rewards, so the best get stronger faster, how are others supposed to catch up?

The whole point is that the others are not supposed to catch up.

Flag Post

Fail to see how this does anything but help the rich get richer…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ronin316:

If your purpose is to create an imbalanced game without people having equal chances one way or another, then your concept will mean the end of your game. As long as the strong get stronger faster and the rest has no chance then your game dies off. People will leave. Just pointing out the obvious.

You can open as much new servers as you want but it will all end in the same thing with imbalanced games. The elite will stay, majority dies off. Next server less playerbase, the elite will stay, the rest dies off. Next server same thing and so on and so on. Untill the Elite consist of 10 players or less and there is no more others. Then the elite leave, the game dies and bye bye game.

Thats why i asked what IGG will do to balance the game a bit more, so ALL players can enjoy it, and not just a happy few.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jjjuice11:

Fail to see how this does anything but help the rich get richer…

This is what happens in a P2W game..

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ronin316:

If your purpose is to create an imbalanced game without people having equal chances one way or another, then your concept will mean the end of your game. As long as the strong get stronger faster and the rest has no chance then your game dies off. People will leave. Just pointing out the obvious.

You can open as much new servers as you want but it will all end in the same thing with imbalanced games. The elite will stay, majority dies off. Next server less playerbase, the elite will stay, the rest dies off. Next server same thing and so on and so on. Untill the Elite consist of 10 players or less and there is no more others. Then the elite leave, the game dies and bye bye game.

Thats why i asked what IGG will do to balance the game a bit more, so ALL players can enjoy it, and not just a happy few.

An imbalanced game spurs people to spend more, so IGG makes money faster. A balanced game doesn’t spur people to spend as much money, so IGG would have a lower profit margin because their server needs would be either the same, or maybe even higher. It’s a sad truth, but there is more profit in a shorter life cycle for the game for them. That is why they don’t fix balance issues, they don’t address the chat problems, they only create new WW trophies.

They want the game to be imbalanced, so that people will spend more money now. They DO NOT CARE about the life expectancy of this game. They’ve got several more games on Kong that appear to be similar, and they hope that when we quit this one, that we’ll get hooked on another one of their games and spend money there. How many features have they introduced to ensure that it is as hard as possible to catch up to the strongest players?

Flag Post

and this is why they should ask us what they can do to help

Flag Post

WoW is still kicking. Diablo 2 was up for a decade after it went live. Who’s to say that this game couldn’t have a lifespan cresting 5-10 years? Both those games had options for you to p2p but f2p people could still fully enjoy and compete with those players. If they came up with a way to keep the game fresh and a bit more balanced, I’m not saying that WW’s should be unable to beat f2p players, but that realistically, f2p should be able to compete with ww’s. This game’s lifespan will increase with that and more ww’s will join. They get a spike of payments from a few players that are already in the game. They will need fresh blood. Free to play people bring in more wallet warriors. They are missing this aspect entirely. If the majority* of your free to play people cannot find enjoyment because of the discrepancy between f2p/p2p, the game will die and fast.

To put it this way: My best friend has other friends that all like to spend money on games and compete with each other. I tried to get him to play this, because if he will play, they will play. They play, the spend money. Just a fact. ***BUT*** he instantly saw the discrepancy between f2p and p2p and immediately gave up on the game. Just like that, the domino effect that would add more players, and add more revenue, just became another dead-end for IGG.

To be perfectly honest, I was ashamed and would be ashamed to invite any other person to this game that I know in real life because in order to be competitive, you have to spend money on it. So until this balance issue has been addressed in some manner, for the entire player base, I will not be inviting any other friends to this game.

The current plan doesn’t advocate/stimulate growth, it stems growth.

Flag Post

There are HUGE differences between D2 and this.
a) it doesn’t have to consume your life. stop playing D2 for 72 hours nothing happens. stop playing this for 72 hours you miss out on 3 days of ez boxes, loads of resources from harvesting, vouchers, daily quests, a whole set of trials and a half, and if you didn’t put up an advance truce you might have been hit.
b) money cannot advance your progress. No matter how much you have, short of paying someone to level for you, and buying equipment on ebay theres no way to get everything with just money thats built into the game. You can’t level faster, you can’t hit harder.
c) hardcore mode and ladder. nuff said.
Sure this game has huge amounts of content. but when it comes down to it, you can literally buy progression by buying more commanders, speeding up research, resources etc etc. Being able to buy progression disrupts the challenge vs frustration curve. Most of us had some serious problems getting past i9 or 17 because there was a difficultly jump. But someone who went off and spent enough money to get a 6* divine right away? There’s barely any difficulty when you deal loads more damage, and take next to none. Not to mention when you farm for bps its alot faster and you spend alot less HE doing it. Then it just feels too easy. Imagine if i1-30 were replaced with i1 enemies (comms and fleets) you would find it boring as hell cause there’s no difficulty curve. Thats what spending money does in this game. Money literally buys progress. So no. It could never last 5-10 years. You know why our server has progressed so far and have had people even do taurus already? Because our WWs dump money in much faster than facebook does. Judging by the fact facebook players still aren’t heavily reliant on dullahan (when even free players here can farm it) to the point where they have a special maintenance to BUFF it you have to realize we are as far if not further than some facebook servers which opened long before us.

tl;dr in a game where money can and does buy progression and throws off the difficulty-frustration curve. people that throw money at the game make it end faster.

Flag Post

In order to make these sorts of events skill based over money based is to make the requirements somewhat rigid.

Have a Frigate, Cruiser, and Battleship event.

Limit weapons and equipment and hulls to i20 and lower.
Common Commanders only. No chips. No gems.

Now anyone can play in the event and it comes down to skill at ship building and less at how much loot you have raided.

Things that come back into play is layering armor since EOS is out of play. Without Divine CCs, you dont end up with DFA/DFA yawn fests. No special hulls… no uber-tanks. Fleet dynamics, do you go with a balanced 9, or stack the front with meat shields and then 6 sets of gunners..

IMHO, this would make the event more accessable to everyone and give everyone a chance to win.

Flag Post
Originally posted by xathil:

There are HUGE differences between D2 and this.
a) it doesn’t have to consume your life. stop playing D2 for 72 hours nothing happens. stop playing this for 72 hours you miss out on 3 days of ez boxes, loads of resources from harvesting, vouchers, daily quests, a whole set of trials and a half, and if you didn’t put up an advance truce you might have been hit.
b) money cannot advance your progress. No matter how much you have, short of paying someone to level for you, and buying equipment on ebay theres no way to get everything with just money thats built into the game. You can’t level faster, you can’t hit harder.
c) hardcore mode and ladder. nuff said.
Sure this game has huge amounts of content. but when it comes down to it, you can literally buy progression by buying more commanders, speeding up research, resources etc etc. Being able to buy progression disrupts the challenge vs frustration curve. Most of us had some serious problems getting past i9 or 17 because there was a difficultly jump. But someone who went off and spent enough money to get a 6* divine right away? There’s barely any difficulty when you deal loads more damage, and take next to none. Not to mention when you farm for bps its alot faster and you spend alot less HE doing it. Then it just feels too easy. Imagine if i1-30 were replaced with i1 enemies (comms and fleets) you would find it boring as hell cause there’s no difficulty curve. Thats what spending money does in this game. Money literally buys progress. So no. It could never last 5-10 years. You know why our server has progressed so far and have had people even do taurus already? Because our WWs dump money in much faster than facebook does. Judging by the fact facebook players still aren’t heavily reliant on dullahan (when even free players here can farm it) to the point where they have a special maintenance to BUFF it you have to realize we are as far if not further than some facebook servers which opened long before us.

tl;dr in a game where money can and does buy progression and throws off the difficulty-frustration curve. people that throw money at the game make it end faster.

A fb server had a player spend 8k on the first day… they dump way more in. Secondly, they got better ships then dullas such as chimeras, LW, and BH.

Flag Post
Originally posted by windancer:

In order to make these sorts of events skill based over money based is to make the requirements somewhat rigid.

Have a Frigate, Cruiser, and Battleship event.

Limit weapons and equipment and hulls to i20 and lower.
Common Commanders only. No chips. No gems.

Now anyone can play in the event and it comes down to skill at ship building and less at how much loot you have raided.

Things that come back into play is layering armor since EOS is out of play. Without Divine CCs, you dont end up with DFA/DFA yawn fests. No special hulls… no uber-tanks. Fleet dynamics, do you go with a balanced 9, or stack the front with meat shields and then 6 sets of gunners..

IMHO, this would make the event more accessable to everyone and give everyone a chance to win.

I30 is so easy to get to… once you have EOS… Do you know how many people on this server got to i26 WITHOUT eos, or dullahan ect..?? Your point is moot. And once you get to i30 honor weapons are the next obvious choice in weapons.

But I guess you don’t like EoS shield or deadalus both which come after i30 and are important when designing a ship… Also I do know that over half the WW on s01 know more about ship design than some of the free players…. because if you think it has nothing to do with running constellations your sorely mistaken. Brute forcing with divines ect. only works so much. So please remember that some of them keep the server bandwidth lights on. Do I think they should have a seperate tier for this event for WW vs f2p? Yes, but the issue is how to break that up. I do like your idea though of only common commanders. That would make it a lot more interesting. But I do consider gems and chips to be a vital roll and yes WW would have more and that would set them apart from f2p for this. But you want someone to outlevel someone somehow to speed the battle up I do promise you that.

Badge ships-can be earned as f2p do restricteds daily.
Honor Weapons and trial weapons can be earned as f2p.(trials can be done from t1-t50 with common commanders!!!)

In my opinion your opinion sucks

Flag Post

Badges are the only thing WWs cant buy lol, so dont complain about that

Flag Post

Originally posted by Draconlazurus:

A fb server had a player spend 8k on the first day… they dump way more in. Secondly, they got better ships then dullas such as chimeras, LW, and BH.

Not sure what you are smoking. I have LW and BH as well. Oh and dullas. you were trying to make a point?

And yes. so what if A fb server had someone dump in 8k on the first day? I can tell you this and IGG can tell you this. It’s not about how much gets put in on the first day. Its about how much gets put in overall. People tossing in 2k a week will outspend that guy in a month. That doesn’t invalidate my points about how money literally buys progress and the fact that money gets dumped in shortens the lifespan of the game dramatically.

Don’t “correct” me just to correct me cause you want to act like a douche. If you are gonna correct me at least try and bring up a valid point instead of just trying to correct me for the sake of correcting me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by xathil:

Originally posted by Draconlazurus:

Not sure what you are smoking. I have LW and BH as well. Oh and dullas. you were trying to make a point?

And yes. so what if A fb server had someone dump in 8k on the first day? I can tell you this and IGG can tell you this. It’s not about how much gets put in on the first day. Its about how much gets put in overall. People tossing in 2k a week will outspend that guy in a month. That doesn’t invalidate my points about how money literally buys progress and the fact that money gets dumped in shortens the lifespan of the game dramatically.

Don’t “correct” me just to correct me cause you want to act like a douche. If you are gonna correct me at least try and bring up a valid point instead of just trying to correct me for the sake of correcting me.

Okay, valid point incoming. Dullas are not the best ship in the game, far from it in fact. Black holes, Liberty wings, and all the chimeras are better ships, even the top tier badge ships are better then dullas. Second valid point: by spending 8k on the first day, FB players demonstrate their increased willingness to spend.

Flag Post

Actually in terms of speed to build, balance in offense and defense, total time to research up to (and including the ship) dullahan is ABSOLUTELY the best. It builds faster and cheaper than most other ships( 5 second build time, 130/100/140 base cost) . It doesnt take 46+65m to research like BH (1 MINUTE build time, 314+487+297 base cost), or (26+58) LW (27 s build time, 212/142/128 base cost). So it absolutely makes the best hybrids cause it has high defense, stability of a BS with the agility of frigates and is only 20 space shy from a LW3. Considering it takes 800 hours more to even simply research LW (base upgrade time). Yes they are pretty much the best generalist ship in the game. They might not make the best glass or best tank but just about everything in between they have it covered. And no. Top tier badge ships arent even that good. But I’ll leave you to do the rest of the math yourself. I’ve already proven BH and LW aren’t as good. I’ll give you chimeras tend to be a little better but not by enough of a margin that justifies dullahan’s INSANE build speed. In terms of that nothing else even comes close. add to that the numbers for stability, structure, agility and defense. Even if other hulls beat it in one area, they tend to lose in more areas. Do the math. Put all the ship stats on a table. Rank them by each of their stats. Total the ranks of every stat. Dullahan is pretty close to the top. Its a top tier ship no matter how you look at it. Sure you can find better SPECIFIC uses for a single hull type. but nothing else even comes close to excelling in so many different areas.

Your second point is completely invalid: A. Singular. FB player demonstrated his(or her) willingness to spend.

Flag Post

I’ll grant you that dulla is best all rounder, but I still disagree about it being the best ship. I’d prefer capras to dullas any day, same for vipers. I grant you, leonis aren’t as hot, but you forget that people with chimeras also have insane build speed anyway.

Flag Post

Theres no such thing as best ship. Its best ship for what purpose. You could just as easily argue indy is the best ship because of low build cost and high tanking ability which is all true. No other ship with as little agility as it has can tank as well as it can PVE. Plus you have to factor in time to research. Chimera you are researching not just 1 extra ship on top of the i28 stuff.. you are researching 3 more badge ships. So yes.. of course you would expect the stats to be higher… you just spent a couple hundred extra hours and similar amounts in millions of gold to research it.

You could just as well argue fleetfoot is the best ship. In terms of the number of instances you can get through purely by building just that ship beginning at the instance you get it. You people are so narrow minded :P best is an adjective but it has absolutely no meaning if you don’t quantify it. It’s like your use of the word good. Oh and notice in NONE of my previous posts have I ever claimed dullahan was the best ship. Only person arguing against that is you. I’d like you to READ what you are replying to instead of just typing up a response to some imagined thing someone said. Might be more productive than arguing with no one. :P

Flag Post

“Actually in terms of speed to build, balance in offense and defense, total time to research up to (and including the ship) dullahan is ABSOLUTELY the best”