Crafting Statistical Analysis

16 posts

Flag Post

The Dungeon Blitz wiki has compiled alot of useful information for crafting here:

http://dungeonblitz.wikia.com/wiki/Crafting

But I wanted to figure out two things:

1. If you want to make alot of gems of a certain type (meaning you want to conserve materials of that type), how much material of that type do you need?

The formula I came up with is

L ≥ ( P + S – D ) / ( 1 + S – D)

L = the total power of the dominant material type
P = the total power needed to create the gem
S = the number of slots I have
D = the number of dominant materials I want to use

For example, if I have 3 slots and I want to make a +4% Trog gem only using 1 trog material, then the power of that material must be at least

( 52 + 3 – 1 ) / ( 1 + 3 – 1 ) = 18

So you need a Trog mat of at least power 18 to make your +4% diamond (using that and two materials of any type of power 17 will get you to exactly 52)

But if you want to use two Trog mats, then their combined power must be at least

( 52 + 3 – 2 ) / ( 1 + 3 – 2 ) = 26.5

You need two Trog mats that have a combined power of at least 27 (and some other mat at least 25).

So that can be pretty useful.

2. If you just want to get your crafting level high, what is the most efficient way to use your mats? In other words, how do you get the most xp per mat?

So I calculated the xp/mat for every possible gem and then ordered them from greatest to least. The higher the x/n, the more efficient that gem is for leveling you up:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag5Oa4yN4xYmdFNhZFRVTVpqRHpSejRkV291QjE5YlE

The most efficient gem is the Trog +3 (t3) made with 1 mat (n=1), which gives you 8 x/n. The problem with this is that that mat has to be a 24 power Trog, which as some of you may know is very hard to get (the drop rate appears to be broken).

The second most efficient gem is the Sylvan +2 (s2) made with 1 mat. For this you need a Sylvan mat of at least 20 power, but this is pretty easy to farm.

As you can see, this list will show you the way to get the most crafting xp out of all your mats. It also calculates the minimum power level discussed in #1 for each gem. So the minimum Trog power you need to make the t5 gem with 1, 2, or 3 Trog mats is listed under columns Min1D, Min2D, and Min3D.

I hope you can guys can use/understand this stuff. I had fun puzzling it all out!

Flag Post

Oh yeah, if you have any questions, please feel free to post.

IGN: Hellinator
Guild: The Kongs

Flag Post

Oh one more thing. The formula, by necessity, is not 100% accurate. It is 100% accurate for crafting Trog gems, because Trog when you put in a Trog material and a different material of the same power, Trog will always lose the tie and the gem will be of the other material’s type. This is only true for Trog though. For example, Draconic materials always win the tie. Here is the order of dominance:

Draconic
Mythic
Infernal
Undead
Sylvan
Trog

The type you’re using will win the tie against all types below it and lose the tie against types above it on the list.

So the formula will always technically work, since it assumes you’re using the least dominant type. But you might be able to make a Draconic gem with Draconic materials slightly lower than what it tells you, since the gem will stay Draconic even if you use other materials that tie with it. Not many people think about that.

Flag Post

Good research! Thank you.
Please make doc public for read.

Flag Post

Woops! File made public, thank you.

Flag Post

Bro the game is easy. No need to get scientific. Flaria

Flag Post

Very cool stuff, thanks for doing this :)

Flag Post

Hey Tyveris, could you post a link to this page on the Dungeon Blitz forums? Thanks.

Also, please consider stickying this page.

Flag Post

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

TL;DR Kuramakyubi is a cunt.

Great work hellinator

Flag Post

Um… Thanks?

Flag Post

Thank you for doing this, it is very interesting. I wonder if you also figured out the formula for gem costs, by tier. Here’s what I got so far:

- Starting with t2 gems, their cost C is given by a formula that looks somewhat quadratic. The trick though it that the same formula is used for the cost of ALL gems, and the type of gem simply determines an x-offset on that curve.
- With offsets assumed to be: 1 for white, 2 for purple, 3 for yellow, 4 for blue, 5 for red and 6 for green, and if T is the tier of the gem to make (T>1), the cost is given by C = f(6*(T-2)+offset) and f is defined roughly as f: x —> round(0.1218x^2 + 2.1614x + 2.8511).

This formula is not very good for small values of x, in that it rounds x=1 and x=5 the wrong way, but it’s perfect afterward up to x=29 (the highest I’ve verified it so far). Still since it’s not good for small values of x it’s clearly not what’s in the code, and beside the constants don’t look like something a human would come up with. So that’s where I got stuck. Any insight you or anyone else has would be very much appreciated.

Another thing, much closer to on-topic too, is that your results seem to show a relationship between power and XP gain that is sublinear: If you look at XP/power instead of XP/n in your list, it become obvious very quickly that piling on power is not the best way to get the most XP bang out of your components. 10 power for 4 XP looks like the best deal (short of dropping the 1- and 2-power components by themselves for a single XP.) Anything above that is overkill. I need to run some tests to see if, as I suspect, XP gain is a function of power only, but it appears likely since all the formulas you’ve listed show XP gains vs power that fall on the same curve. I’ll report when I know more.

Edit: Welp, that didn’t take long. Turns out it takes almost no time to figure out that XP gain is actually linked to gem tier and color, and by a very simple formula: remember ‘x’ in my formula above to determine the minimum power to make a gem of a given grade? It turns out the XP gain for that gem is x+1. And all gems of tier 1 give 1XP. So stacking power is sub-optimal, exceeding minimal requirements for a gem is a waste, and doubly so if you’re using copies of a given material. I am a bit saddened that, considering the amount of gem grinding the game requires to level up, it favors low tier crap gem grinding instead of the more useful high tier gems. Oh well.

Flag Post

I did try to see if there was some formula for power, but it seems that the values were chosen arbitrarily. And either way, the values are already known. I wouldn’t spend much time on it. Thanks for sharing though.

It seems like XP/power should be important, but really when you think about it it’s not important at all. Getting a high level mat is usually just as easy as getting a low level mat. They’re just in different places. That’s why I do all my craft farming in Shazari Desert, where all the high level mats are. Remember that when we’re talking about efficiency, we’re really talking about how to get the most XP/time. If a level 24 mat takes about the same amount of time to get as a level 5 mat, then power really has nothing to do with efficiency. The drop rate for all mats seems to be the same (except for bugged trog mats), so XP/mat is the important value.

So my chart will tell you to get mats over a certain level to make highly efficient gems, but there is one little problem. We’re trying to maximize XP from all the mats we have, and it’s almost a certainty that you will pick up mats that don’t fit well into high efficiency gems. The only way to truly maximize your XP would be to use a brute force program that could compare all the ways to put your mats into gems and spit out the configuration that will give you the most XP. Unfortunately, I have neither the skill nor the time to make that sort of thing, but I would imagine it would be fairly easy for an amateur programmer to write it.

Flag Post

Good job Hell :D.

Flag Post

no offense.

Flag Post

1. if I want to make a 5% Trog, and I have 4 slots. Then according to your formula, I need two white materials with a total 30 power. So I need another 58 powers, means 29 power each. Well, I guess the highest we have are 26green and 25purple. (maybe there will be 29power, but not easy to get. or you want to waste three 26green to get a 29)

You can also thro in several low level mats…. like a 15*15 to make a 29 … So i don’t see how that is not useful… Troll.

2. for exp, it only depends on the amount of ore you spend. If you make a 4% Trog, you have to spend 1400 ore and you’ll get 14exp. That’s it.
Do learn to read prior posts.

Flag Post

The chart now takes into account the new Valhaven mats. Level 20 here we come!