Pro Tips/Newbie Guide

112 posts

Flag Post
You can find me in BTD5 Room 02, and The Inconspicuous Cardboard Box

Upgrade paths are often referenced as x/x , 1/0 , 2/2 etc. That means path 1 / path 2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not under estimate the Dart Monkey, I recommend buying the Dart Training Facility (Specialty Building) first. It will get you past the hardest of maps. Darts 2/3 are cheap and very poptastic. Look for the "Land for sale"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower the quality to get better results, right click the grey bar near the top of the game (where it says ninjakiwi). Lowering screen resolution helps a lot. When the serious lag kicks in the game will run faster when not using fast forward.

Camo bloons give many newbies lots of trouble, get a Monkey Village near some towers with the x/2 upgrade. Also the Apprentice has very good popping ability and upgrade to 2/2 is highly recommended.

Having trouble with Hard mode? Try starting with darts, 3 upgraded to 2/3 will hold out for a while, and build Banana Farms. By round 40 you should have at least 1 4/0 farm.

Special Agents are only for the duration of 1 game, the 0/40 that you see is how many times you need to use it to get pro agents, those have extra strengths such as new attacks or altered abilities. I suggest buying the land for sale and getting all the buildings before buying agents. Check the links below for Daily Challenges that include free Agents.

I suggest saving Special Missions for a Double MM weekend, also save the hard difficulty on intermediate and expert tracks.

My most favorite towers.
Dart Monkey 2/3 cause its cheap and devasting to the bloons.
Boomerang both paths, mainly path 2 cause its cheaper and its bionic.
Apprentice 2/3 lightning, fire breath, camo detection. Toasty!
Spike Factory 4/2 It splodes!
Glue Gunner both paths all the way. path 1 for when i just want to melt the bloons and i already have a slow effect from Ice towers. path 2 when i need to slow down large groups and let other towers destroy em.
Ice 2/3 and 3/2. I like em both same reasons as i like glue both paths.
Bomb both paths. depending on how i set up at the start. maybe i failed to make enough to kill a moab so i would build a couple bombs 2/3. or maybe blons are overwhelming me in numbers, bomb 4/2 can kill large groups and stun them so other towers get a better shot.
Super Monkey its a super monkey do i really need to explain? O.K fine, a 2/3 super is a very easy and slightly cheap method of taking down moab class bloons, the 3/2 can shred through the toughest of zerg rushes, and the 4/2 just look 2 posts down.
Snipers path 2 all day, path one is pointless IMO. a 2/3 sniper can shred bloons and when its round 92 and money is needed the 2/4 sniper can drop a few crates per round.
Farms Always always always 4/0 then 4/2. path 2 is mostly useless.

Useful links.

Daily Challenge Help

What's coming each round RBE stands for Red Bloon Equivalent

Free Special Agents

Hover over these to see a tool-tip/pop-up

RBE Rounds 2 - 43

RBE Rounds 44 - 85

Flag Post

I am having issues w/ massive amounts of camo Bloons. Can anyone help recommend a “best” way to knock them out?

~Cindi

Flag Post

That is how you max out the power of a temple.
How do I know? The Guide
Sacrificing a village 3/x grants temple 50% more cash per pop. I would not recommend it tho, you can place that after its built.

Wondering how to get this many temples? It all starts with a few dart monkeys. You have to get a lot of farms, I’m talking 10-20, to do that you need to use a minimal defense and get farms asap. For me, that usually includes using a Dart Training Facility, and buying a farm on round 6. Farms 4/2 are about 20% more money per round than 2/4, and 4/2 gives money every round while 2/4 gives every 7-9 rounds.

At 2-4 the BIA will generate $2,612.3 every round or $18,286 every 7 rounds.
After 8 rounds you will get $19,702 money. It costs $16,900, your profit is $2,802.
At 4-2 the Banana Research Facility will generate $3,000 every round.
After 15 rounds you will get $45,000 money. It costs $24,400, your profit is $20,600.

The fastest method for farming Monkey Money, Clock on easy, start with a ninja right at the top then get an apprentice 1/0 just below that, max the ninja out 4/2 then add another, 5 ninjas beat it easily but after 3 you can add anything else and still win, takes about 8 minutes and you get 60mm every time.

Fast rank can be gained easily by playing on an easy map (Monkey Lane, Park Path) in Hard mode, save on round 84 and play until lag gets you then lose and load. If you get bored with that try Daily Challenge Feb 7th.

Originally posted by calvindang:
To create the most powerful Temple, you need to sactifice:
Missiles: $24000 ($30000) of Mortar and/or Bomb towers. Missiles fire in groups of 5. Each can hit 100 bloons, in a blast area similar to a Big One mortar.
Ice Bolts: $8000 ($10000) of Ice towers
The bolt explodes on impact, popping and freezing nearby bloons.
Glue Globs: $8000 ($10000) of Glue Gunners
The rate of fire, splash, and dissolve-speed are all about twice what you’d get from a level 2/2 Glue Gunner.
Tornados: $8000 ($10000) of Apprentices
They can pop bloons and blow them back towards the entrance.
Blades: $24000 ($30000) of any other towers (dart/tack/sniper/boomerang/ninja/pirate/ace/super/village/farm/dartling/spike) or 1 Special Agent
16 spinning blades fly out in a circle. Each can hit 40 bloons.

Power levels:
1 $1-$1040 ($1-$1300) = 1 missile, small glue spatter, small ice blast, small whirlwind, 20-pop darts.
2 $1041-$3199 ($1301-$3999) = 2 missiles, corrosive glue, damaging ice blast, large whirlwind, 25-pop darts
3 $3200-$7999 ($4000-$9999) = 3 missiles, bigger spatter, longer freeze, small tornado, 30-pop blades
4 $8000-$23999 ($10000-$29999) = 4 missiles, faster corrisive, big ice blast, large tornado, 35-pop blades
5 $24000+ ($30000+) = 5 missiles, 40-pop blades.

Flag Post

Really? I didn’t realize the Monkey Village did that. I’m currently playing the hard level of the 1st game (w/ the grass and the winding trail). I’m on level 78 (I think) and the camos are kicking my butt.

~Cindi

Flag Post

Some pro tips:

-Try combining Turbo Charge and MIB Call to Arms and experince the hypersonic speed of Bionic Boomer

-Too hard to rank up?Try Feb 7 daily challenge.

-Did you know?A 0/3(2/3 is better)ninja is a solution for your Camo Lead trouble

-Cheap upgrade doesn’t mean its good.But expensive upgrade doesn’t also mean its always good

-Glaive lord needs to be placed at a corner or circular position.If not,it will not be super effective.

-Remember:4/2 Spike Factory is for Ceramic.Even it DOES destroy MOAB Class,it can’t hold a group of them.

-1 dart monkey is bad.Try spamming 2/3 Dart monkey.It can destroy even the most stubborn MOAB Class.

-Wizard Lord is too hard?Use ^ tactics.

-Spike factory is best at Covert Pops

-Did you know?Ground Zero Bomb destroys all bloons but ZOMG.They still damage them a bit though

-Another way to pop Camo Leads is through 0/3 Village,0/2 Dartling or 2/0 Spike Factory

-Juggernaut also crush lead

Flag Post

Some more pro tips:
- Tech Terror’s ability acts like a smaller version of the Ground Zero Bomb (despite the description)
- A mass of Moab Maulers or Assassin at the front of the stage helps alot
- Sometimes it is easier to create more than one kill zone
- Following the above advice Dart Gunners, Snipers, and 4/+ Buccaneers are good because they can support any part of your defense due to unlimited range. (I know I misspell the word but I don’t feel like looking it up).
- Spike Factories are useful if they have time to build up piles
- 4/2 Tack Tower and 3/2 Ice Tower can hold off alot of bloons (below moab class)
- So can a mass of well-placed 4/2 Dart Monkeys or 2/3 Apprentices (but not as many apprentices would be needed)
- If you can’t mass moab-maulers at the front, try using 4/2 Mortars placed far away (they are half as effective against moabs as Moab-maulers are)
- A single 2/4 Mortar can strip the camo status off of most bloons (only massive zerg swarms of them, like in round 63, can get past)
- That is not to say those zerg swarms in round 63 are camo
-

Flag Post

And just a few more:
- A Monkey Village will not benefit from it’s own bonuses
- The fragments from a 2/+ bomb tower counts a dart shot, as such, it will pop zebra and black bloons
- However, I don’t think that the bombs from a 3/+ bomb tower don’t (I could be wrong)
- Glue Gunners and Ice Towers will not fire on moab class bloons
- Depending on placement and space you usually can get by with just 2/3 moab maulers and 3/2 glue gunners
- Sun Gods and Technological Terrors, for all their power, cannot see camos. (It is a good thing temples can)
- +/3 and +/4 Banana Farms still benefit from the path 1 upgrades
- A mass of Gaive Lords (not sure if I spell that right) can hold off much stuff below moab class
- Unless it has been changed recently a single 4/2 sniper will eventually pop BFB
- The artic wind upgrade for ice towers doesn’t seem to effect camo bloons (even if the ice tower is near a meerkat or monkey village). It does however effect zebra and white bloons
- Napalm pops zebra and black bloons
- Towers that work incredibly well on one map might not do so on another

Flag Post

Brilliant, saved me a lot of work. Thanks guys.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ScrappyTank:

And just a few more:
- A Monkey Village will not benefit from it’s own bonuses
- The fragments from a 2/+ bomb tower counts a dart shot, as such, it will pop zebra and black bloons
- However, I don’t think that the bombs from a 3/+ bomb tower don’t (I could be wrong)
- Glue Gunners and Ice Towers will not fire on moab class bloons
- Depending on placement and space you usually can get by with just 2/3 moab maulers and 3/2 glue gunners
- Sun Gods and Technological Terrors, for all their power, cannot see camos. (It is a good thing temples can)
- +/3 and +/4 Banana Farms still benefit from the path 1 upgrades
- A mass of Gaive Lords (not sure if I spell that right) can hold off much stuff below moab class
- Unless it has been changed recently a single 4/2 sniper will eventually pop BFB
- The artic wind upgrade for ice towers doesn’t seem to effect camo bloons (even if the ice tower is near a meerkat or monkey village). It does however effect zebra and white bloons
- Napalm pops zebra and black bloons
- Towers that work incredibly well on one map might not do so on another

A mass of Glaive Lords can hold off anything. There was a challenge not too long ago that you started with no money and a bunch of agents on monkey lane, and allowed dart monkeys, boomers, and farms. I finished it with a bunch of glaive lords all over the map and decided to keep going and just spam lords. I quit at rd 97 because the lag was getting to be too much, but nothing was getting further than the third bend. That was something like 15-20 Glaive lords getting all the pops. and I had at least 40 more on the map, but nothing was getting that far.

Flag Post

if your searching for MOAB killers,take super monkey 3/2

Flag Post
Originally posted by reddertje:

if your searching for MOAB killers,take super monkey 3/2

2/3 super is cheaper, its what i prefer, consider that by the time you get 2/3 you will already have lots of towers to pop the ceramics.

Flag Post

Placing Spike Factories near the end of the map is a great way to start off in the early rounds. Make sure its area of effect or circle is placed on a small part of the track so the spikes will pile into one area. The closer to the end of the map, the better. It will only work on maps with one ending path, so Mount Magma or Death Valley won’t work as well. Here is an example: http://prntscr.com/hox14

Flag Post

Can I get a sticky? Good info here and I plan to keep updating it.

Flag Post

Maybe you should add some possible “substitutes” for some of the Towers in the Perfect Temple Recipe. For example: substituting a 4/2 Mortar for 2 2/4 Bomb towers; some times those pesky Mortars won’t fit, but in their place you can easily fit 2 Bomb towers. I mean, just “spice” it up some with some creativity. Honestly, anybody could have have found out about the Recipe simply by asking in a Chat Room or finding the Perfect Temple guide themselves. Ask around, maybe you will find some more cost efficient Perfect Temple Recipes.

Lastly, way more important then the Recipe its self, you should describe how to place Temples so close (You know, something like this ~ http://puu.sh/1ew4n). I’ve been asked many many many times how do place them so close, and its a burden describing how to do it each time, and more annoying then that, is being told that “that’s impossible” lol.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PSI232:

Maybe you should add some possible “substitutes” for some of the Towers in the Perfect Temple Recipe. For example: substituting a 4/2 Mortar for 2 2/4 Bomb towers; some times those pesky Mortars won’t fit, but in their place you can easily fit 2 Bomb towers. I mean, just “spice” it up some with some creativity. Honestly, anybody could have have found out about the Recipe simply by asking in a Chat Room or finding the Perfect Temple guide themselves. Ask around, maybe you will find some more cost efficient Perfect Temple Recipes.

Lastly, way more important then the Recipe its self, you should describe how to place Temples so close (You know, something like this ~ http://puu.sh/1ew4n). I’ve been asked many many many times how do place them so close, and its a burden describing how to do it each time, and more annoying then that, is being told that “that’s impossible” lol.

Yeah my guide is still a work in progress, I just threw this together to get people started. I’ll be making new screenshots explaining how to get em close together and a much better explanation on sacrifices. For now I have the detailed guide linked if anyone needs a better explanation.

Flag Post

-Techno Terror needs to be placed in a circular or corner in order for its ability to be super effective
-Glue Hose is good to use against everything but Ceramic and MOAB Class.
-Bloon Dissolver/Liquifier is good to use against Ceramic but not on swarms of weak bloons
-Place some Dart Monkey near a 2/4 Dart for it to be super effective
-Switch/Clock isn’t so hard if you have a couple of strong tower near the start
-Want BTD4 Sun Monkey?Use MIB Call to arms ability
-Sharp grapes doesn’t pop lead because it is ‘Sharp’

Flag Post

BUMP Updated

Flag Post

-Each path of upgrades of all towers that is sacrificed affects the powers of Temple(See bloons wiki for more information)
-Ground Zero is very useful in MOAB Madness
-Try putting strong towers(MOAB Mauler,Sun Monkey,Spike factory)in the Death Valley short path if you are playing in medium/hard/freeplay.
-Laser vision/plasma vision makes Techno terror shoots stronger bolt
-0/2 Mortar can pop black and zebra with Napalm effect
-4/0 Mortar can pop black
-A 4/0 sniper is bad when there are a horde of bloons
-Daily bonus can multiple your MM up to five times

Flag Post
Originally posted by myskybluecap:

-Each path of upgrades of all towers that is sacrificed affects the powers of Temple(See bloons wiki for more information)
-Ground Zero is very useful in MOAB Madness
-Try putting strong towers(MOAB Mauler,Sun Monkey,Spike factory)in the Death Valley short path if you are playing in medium/hard/freeplay.
-Laser vision/plasma vision makes Techno terror shoots stronger bolt
-0/2 Mortar can pop black and zebra with Napalm effect
-4/0 Mortar can pop black
-A 4/0 sniper is bad when there are a horde of bloons
-Daily bonus can multiple your MM up to five times

Don’t lie, each tower does not have an affect on the temple abilities, most towers just add blades, to get abilities on the temple you need certain amount of sell value, such as the 0/4 apprentice which sells for 10k will add tornados. what i have in that picture is the only sensible way to build a temple, that is if you want it to have max power.

laser and plasma each add 1 more pierce to a tech terror, so instead of the beam stopping at 5 moabs it would then hit 7 at a time. add a village 0/2 and it will hit 8. i recommend using 2/3 supers with a 2/2 village or 3/2 if you want the extra money it gives.

Flag Post
Originally posted by XiaolinDraconis:

what i have in that picture is the only sensible way to build a temple, that is if you want it to have max power.

No, not using a monkey beacon is in fact an extremely silly way to build a temple.

Far easier to go for a 4/2 monkey village instead of a 0/4 super. Cheaper too.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Diadem:

what i have in that picture is the only sensible way to build a temple, that is if you want it to have max power.

No, not using a monkey beacon is in fact an extremely silly way to build a temple.

But the 4/2 MV will increase the range of the SM, thus making you have to place the SM FARTHER from any nearby Temples.You want to fit as much Perfect Temples on a map as possible (If your going for rounds 180+).

Flag Post
Don’t lie, each tower does not have an affect on the temple abilities, most towers just add blades, to get abilities on the temple you need certain amount of sell value, such as the 0/4 apprentice which sells for 10k will add tornados. what i have in that picture is the only sensible way to build a temple, that is if you want it to have max power.

Two things:

A regular 0/0 Mage will still add tornadoes to a Temple, but they won’t be as powerful since you didn’t sacrifice the 10K and the Temple’s basic plasma ray will also not be as powerful.
And though the Recipe you posted is how everyone should make it, it is best to put a 4/2 MV AFTER you make your Temples (So like the SS, I made it so the MV’s would be affecting as much Temples as possible ~ http://puu.sh/1ew4n). This will give it all the great benefits of a 4/2 MV, but you can still place Temples as close as possible.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Diadem:

cheapness is NOT how the temple works, the plasma attack gets stronger the more money you pump into it, up to its max level, which as everyone knows is WELL OVER 9000!!!

Flag Post

sigh Don’t you know?

Missiles: $24000 ($30000) of Mortar and/or Bomb towers. Missiles fire in groups of 5. Each can hit 100 bloons, in a blast area similar to a Big One mortar.
The rate of fire, splash, and dissolve-speed are all about twice what you’d get from a level 2/2 Glue Gunner.
Blades: $24000 ($30000) of any other towers (dart/tack/sniper/boomerang/ninja/pirate/ace/super/village/farm/dartling/spike) or 1 Special Agent

Power levels:
1 $1-$1040 ($1-$1300) = 1 missile, small glue spatter, small ice blast, small whirlwind, 20-pop darts.
2 $1041-$3199 ($1301-$3999) = 2 missiles, corrosive glue, damaging ice blast, large whirlwind, 25-pop darts
3 $3200-$7999 ($4000-$9999) = 3 missiles, bigger spatter, longer freeze, small tornado, 30-pop blades
4 $8000-$23999 ($10000-$29999) = 4 missiles, faster corrisive, big ice blast, large tornado, 35-pop blades

Flag Post
Originally posted by calvindang:

sigh Don’t you know?

Power levels:

Hope that sigh wasn’t directed towards me… It’s kinda obvious that I know, after all I am the one who posted the link to NK temple guide.