How do you use farms?

21 posts

Flag Post

Even after leveling into the mid 50s, working my way up, and beating all the easy and intermediate tracks on Hard, I’m still not clear how you derive actual long-term benefit from the current version of banana farms. It seems like you have to babysit and micro-manage them to the point that it detracts too much from the actual game.

Am I missing something? How do you advocates of banana farms collect the bananas in a manner that doesn’t make the game tedious to the point of not being fun?

I’m sorely missing the passive banana farms from previous versions at this point…
Thanks in advance.

Flag Post

I think I should clarify, what I’m asking for is specific strategies about how you go about collecting the bananas – how often do you mouse over them, what specific visual cues are you looking for, and where do you put the mouse cursor to maximize the effectiveness of your harvest, and how long do you hover it there?

Right now I sort of end up wiggling the cursor over my farms and crossing my fingers. Banana farms are a bizarre foreign entity to me at this point.

In BTD4, I habitually filled every spare bit of real estate with a farm. In BTD5, most games I don’t even bother to build any, because I clearly do not know how to harvest them effectively. In reading these forums, it seems like most of you consider them essential to endgame play. So I’d like to learn how to use them, if someone wouldn’t mind explaining this to me.

Flag Post

Then go to x/3 or x/4 and its auto-ish

Flag Post

Leave your mouse over them.

(Basicly, I put my mouse on it every frame)

Flag Post

If you see bananas pop up, put your mouse neat them. Or save for a 2/4 upgrade.

Flag Post

Does the 2/4 upgrade still produce bananas that you must manually “collect”, in addition to the automatic bank deposit? Or does the bank deposit completely replace the “harvesting” mechanic?

Flag Post

After a bit of math, people have found that the 4/2 is better than the 2/4.
All you have to do is set your cursor directly on top of the farm to collect them.
Your cursor has a large “collect box” so you can actually place it in the middle of four farms in a square pattern and get all the bananas without moving a bit.

But to answer your question, the bank doesn’t spit out bananas like the other farms, you have to select it and withdraw its money every 6-8 rounds (whenever it gets full).

Flag Post

As person1999 said, it’s pretty easy to collect all the bananas.

Also, while 4/2 research facilities do produce money faster than 2/4 banks, the latter has a higher payoff per dollar payed for it. Initially, at least. I think the advanced players recommend making a bank or two first and then switching to research facilities. (I personally just go straight to making research facilities.)

Flag Post

Well,lets see this value produced:

4/0 farm will produce 2000 cash
4/2 farm will produce 3000 cash instead of 2000
0/4 farm will produce 1000 cash to withdraw.
2/4 farm will produce 1450 cash to withdraw.
For person who likes a little boost every round,they go with 2/4.
For person who is very pro with farms,they will upgrade them to 4/0.

Flag Post
Originally posted by person1999:

All you have to do is set your cursor directly on top of the farm to collect them.
Your cursor has a large “collect box” so you can actually place it in the middle of four farms in a square pattern and get all the bananas without moving a bit.

But to answer your question, the bank doesn’t spit out bananas like the other farms, you have to select it and withdraw its money every 6-8 rounds (whenever it gets full).

I just want to point out that you can actually harvest at least 12 farms at the same time without moving your mouse ;) So yeah, super easy, doesn’t detract from the game at all for me (other than the inability to use dartling gunner…)

Originally posted by myskybluecap:

Well,lets see this value produced:

4/0 farm will produce 2000 cash
4/2 farm will produce 3000 cash instead of 2000
0/4 farm will produce 1000 cash to withdraw.
2/4 farm will produce 1450 cash to withdraw.
For person who likes a little boost every round,they go with 2/4.
For person who is very pro with farms,they will upgrade them to 4/0.

Yes, but the 0/4 or 2/4 farm earns money off of the money left inside it. I believe it actually earns about 2k, maybe more per round if you leave all the money in until about 18/19k is built up and then withdraw it. The /4 farms are more cost effective, but the 4/ farms produce more total per round and produce every round instead of every 7 or 8 or whatever (I’ll do the math and edit this).

Ok, so the maths for 4/2 versus 2/4 farms-

Efficiency: 2/4 farms give ~ 0.148 money per cost, per round and profit in 7 rounds
……………4/2 farms give ~ 0.123 money per cost, per round and profit in 9 rounds

Total money: 2/4 farms give ~ 2512 money per round and cost 16,900 to make
……………….4/2 farms give 3,000 money per round and cost 24,400 to make

Other: 2/4 farms only give their money once every 7 rounds in lump
……….4/2 farms give their money each round, during the round, but restrict use of mouse

Conclusion: 2/4 √better money per cost √doesn’t restrict mouse X2/3 is useless, so can’t really build up well
……………..4/2 √more money total √get money every round Xcan’t fit many together on some maps

Flag Post
Originally posted by DavidsMe:
Originally posted by person1999:

I just want to point out that you can actually harvest at least 12 farms at the same time without moving your mouse ;) So yeah, super easy, doesn’t detract from the game at all for me (other than the inability to use dartling gunner…)

This. Put them in a square (I usually go with 4 farms, or even less, since you dont necessarily have the slots in the map to put them all together), then just place the mouse in the middle of them.

Flag Post

Thank you gentlemen. This information helps. I’ve now integrated farming into my BTD5 experience. For now, I’m predominantly banking, but while leveling up the farms I’m practicing collecting them.

It is a bit of a turnoff only because there is so much else I could be doing with my cursor instead of hovering over a farm. But it is what it is. The game gets less convenient, and the players adapt. Thank you for helping me adapt. :)

Flag Post

I use 4/2 on the maps i have the no room to place 4 RF in anice area. On maps with little room i try to place 2 4/2 farms and then i place 2/4 farms in any other spot i can find and remind myself to collect from them every 4-5 rounds. The usefulness of the Banks come from the interest which i do not see any math on anywhere and am too lazy to do myself. I may change my mind and do the math to see where the “Sweet” spot is for withdrawing from banks to get money similar to RF. The 20k cap is a bummer. Also with enough banks, maybe you can cycle between them each round to get $ every round. Banks = 1-2 round 10, 3-4 round 11, 5-6 round 12?

Flag Post

Yes, but the 0/4 or 2/4 farm earns money off of the money left inside it. I believe it actually earns about 2k, maybe more per round if you leave all the money in until about 18/19k is built up and then withdraw it. The /4 farms are more cost effective, but the 4/ farms produce more total per round and produce every round instead of every 7 or 8 or whatever (I’ll do the math and edit this).

Ok, so the maths for 4/2 versus 2/4 farms-

Efficiency: 2/4 farms give ~ 0.148 money per cost, per round and profit in 7 rounds
……………4/2 farms give ~ 0.123 money per cost, per round and profit in 9 rounds

Total money: 2/4 farms give ~ 2512 money per round and cost 16,900 to make
……………….4/2 farms give 3,000 money per round and cost 24,400 to make

Other: 2/4 farms only give their money once every 7 rounds in lump
……….4/2 farms give their money each round, during the round, but restrict use of mouse

Conclusion: 2/4 √better money per cost √doesn’t restrict mouse X2/4 is useless, so can’t really build up well
……………..4/2 √more money total √get money every round Xcan’t fit many together on some maps

If you place your 4/2 Farms right, then you can get a lot on the map:

http://puu.sh/1iACK
http://puu.sh/1kJWy
http://puu.sh/1peWo

I will fill the map with as much 4/2s as possible, and then where my one 4/2 MV is, I place 2/4 Sniper Monkeys in range of the MV, wherever there is room. I won’t use up room that I normally place a TT or Sun God in for a 2/4 Sniper, because normally, they will fit into the smallest of places, so best leave them to filling in the small places.

It is a downside to have to collect all the money from the 4/2s, and if you have a lot, you can’t simply leave your mouse in the middle of the “bunch” and walk away, but I have used 2/4s before and it was FAR more bothersome to stop by each one and collect all the money. Plus, I often forgot what round they would be full on, so I would waste an entire round to just letting them sit.

Lastly, for anyone doesn’t know, 2/4s Snipers are more effective then Farms after round 90ish, since Farms produce money according to the round in all; not the legnth of the round, meaning you can recycle 2/4 Snipers (Which make 1000$ on average are round) over and over (As long as the round is going), while the 4/2 Farms will always produce 3000$ each round. I find it bothersome to place all of those 2/4 Snipers, and then sell them when I have enough money (Which is often by round 100-103), so I use mainly 4/2 Farms.

It all comes down to early farmings, and then mass farming the early rounds (85 and under). My starter Tower is Boomerang 2/, with the Boomerang SB, and then I get a 2/ Farm, make the Boomerang 2/3, then get 2 more 2/ Farms, and so on… lol, I’m going to go through the whole strat; best make up your on ;) .

Flag Post

Alright… I see some wrong, and some right information on this thread… Got some free time, so HERE COMES THE TEXT WALL! >:O!

First of all, in a 1:1 ratio, 4/2 is superior to 2/4, and not only in the production rate of the cash, but there’s a HUGE advantage~ your money is always available. And what some people say (2/4 having a production of 1.4k’ish
(can’t recall the exact number _) per round is WRONG! having an average production rate is simply useless, because if you’re in need of the cash let’s say, at 3rd round, you won’t have 4.2k’ish, you’ll have way less than that, simply because you’re not getting an average production per round, you’re getting less than that half of the time, and more than that half of the time.)

Now, on to some more info~

If you’re speaking just of profit/space (A.K.A. “would it be better to have max factories or max banks?”) Factories win, since that’s basically another way to put up 1:1 production ratio.

If you’re speaking about production over time (A.K.A. exponential growth & reproduction of the farms), well, I did a lot of maths into this part… Assuming the following:
*Medium difficulty
*All the cash produced is spent on more farms
*The way to upgrade the 4/2’s is: 5×2/0’s, then upgrade them all to 4/0, then 4/2. Repeat
*Enough space on a map for 46 farms
*No other money income ways
*No need to place other towers
*Doing the maths over 100 rounds
*No overflow on banks

Now, I did this twice, assuming all of that ^^ & a small variation, the first one was assuming I started with both a 4/2 or a 2/4, the second one was assuming I started with 0/0’s.

Normally I’d bore you with all my spreadsheets, maths, etc… But the result was rather simple, and you can do the maths on your own (gave you all the info you needed already).

In the first scenario, the 4/2 started being more profitable. From round 1 to round 16, after that, the bank went ahead… Until round 32, in which the factories reproduction rate owned banks hard…

Basically, in a chart, Banks go up in a straight line, Which makes them better for a short time… But the factories make a curve (almost a 90º degree at some point), which makes them better BY FAR in the long run.

Now, on the second scenario… Let’s not talk about that one >_> the only thing it did was set back the bank A LOT!
More specifically…. Can’t recall if it was 8 or 18 rounds… But yeah, you can see my point. Now, if you need something else… Just ask!

Flag Post

A 2×2 square of monkey farms 4/2 earns 12k a round so once set up it will be a massive help

Flag Post
Originally posted by iamweasle:

A 2×2 square of monkey farms 4/2 earns 12k a round so once set up it will be a massive help

You can also make a 3×3 square and just place you mouse in the middle.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PSI232:

You can also make a 3×3 square and just place you mouse in the middle.

That’s what I do.Ha ha I’m lazy :3

Flag Post

what i would give for a tower/ability that auto collects bananas so i can use dartling guns AND have a farm

Flag Post

you’d have to give just enough to buy the “deluxe” version of this game, i believe it includes a banana collector thingy

Flag Post

what i would give for a tower/ability that auto collects bananas so i can use dartling guns AND have a farm

Well, if you don’t already know of the Tier 3 SB ability; it allows you to fix your Dartlings and then you get collect the bananas.