Forums Wartune

Are free players important?

13 posts

Flag Post

I play 3 accounts. 1 is vip, 1 was and 1 never was. It was extremely difficult for me to stay competitive on the account I did not spend balens on. Not cause of wings, (small difference later on but important early game for quick catacombs completion) but because of gem transposer keeping players from being competitive endgame. Not to mention the fact that that crypt keys are rare and one of the few ways to obtain higher level gems. Now I’m not begging for handouts. I realize there are free kreds offer but I am from kong where offers are much less offers then on main site servers and no I wont move here just for the free offers.

Now I ask this to the community. Are free players necessary? Do they make the game fun? I mean you do realize, the less players there are, the better rewards you get from world boss and guild wars right? Free players leave in droves because they can’t compete with vip or cashers in general. Due to wings in the beginning then heavy honor loss in battlegrounds. Then if they can accept that, they can’t get higher gem levels unless they somehow are able to accept free balen offers (need to be in the right country and the right website/publisher). Now I’m not asking for freebies, I’m just saying it has to be more fair for both free players and balen users. If you don’t think free players are necessary, keep things the way they are. See if free players are willing to invest 2 to 3 more times then balen users and still not be able to beat them cause they will never be strong enough (wings, higher gems). P.S my characters 58, 56, 46.

About Us (Kongregate slogan)

Hey, do you like games? So do we — that’s what makes Kongregate the best source of free games online. We have thousands upon thousands of free online games, from both one-man indies and large studios, rated and filtered so you can play the best of the best. Read more »

Flag Post

Yes, Free players are important as most games can’t attract enough spenders and without them the game becomes more boring due to lack of chat and less opportunities to run multi-player areas such as arena’s and dungeons, etc… when a lower player base requires you to wait for players to come on who have time to do them with you.

When a game like this one ignores them and it results in a high quit rate they will soon find their spenders will also become bored as most spenders want to play the game now and not wait to play areas that require more players to complete them.

Flag Post

Once you get to a certain level, the number of free players becomes negligible. Everyone either has paid or is paying beyond a certain point. Everyone else quits, even cashers quit since the amount you’re constantly required to input in the game to remain competitive starts to add up and becomes prohibitive, furthermore the game becomes repetitive and boring after a while too, especially if you’re a power hungry player whose main goal is no longer to enjoy himself, but to become stronger. There are those that don’t know what they’re doing, are lvl 56 cashing and still only have a br of 32k and don’t care that they frankly sck at playing the game and are thus paying to lose (weird huh most in this game pay to win). If you don’t pay you have to accept that you’ll lose to anyone who is playing the game a lot and smartly and is paying, there is no way around it. Once you’re past lvl 55 cashing becomes the only way to get stronger really, you can gain some minimal amounts playing for free, but the real power is only available for sale. As such, once you get beyond that point, it’s entirely likely that a free player lvl68 will get totally owned by a true cashing lvl56 player. I am a free player btw, one of the top free players on my server and you cannot imagine the amount of times I’ve cursed at cashers and how often I’ve pondered quitting, it’s more a continuous process really, the thinking about quitting. There is no competing with paying players is my slogan. It’s annoying losing to a casher (say 95% of the top 100), but I can only imagine how much more frustrating it must be for them to lose to a free player. =)

So, are they necessary, free players? No! Maybe at first to get the game started and to lure them into paying, after that, they’re not. I’d even dare go so far as to say that higher level players who still haven’t paid and are thus unlikely to start paying are even unwanted.

Flag Post

Sorry to say this but they dont really care about free players. If number of ppl drop they just merge servers and create new servers to attract fresh supply of PTW ppl. Not that I like the way they run but thats how things are unfortunately..

Flag Post

Free players are usually there for the fun while many of those who pay are seeking to win or have massive stats.

But yes, free players can generally switch to paying for items anytime. As the spending gets cumulative however, they get to feel the burden of having to pay and opt to quit before it gets out of hand.

Flag Post

Well, it seems like ppl forget that they play games to have fun. There r tons of things in real life to compete and if winning is the only way to have fun, I have no idea. However, if there are not many players (free or not) playing, what’s the point of playing this game? Alone tree hugging or having a clone army? Have no one to bully? That sounds too boring to imagine. So, like tons of online web games, this matter is not important.

Flag Post

To the game company? From the looks of things, not really…

To the community and overall health of the game? most definatley yes

Flag Post

If it wasn’t for us free players, there wouldn’t be us buyers. You don’t think that the designers are deserving of a payment for their efforts? It may appear unjust, or unfair even, and outright frustrating, but it’s just the same when you see a newcomer whom just begun playing hit it big with a yellow astral. It’s not as if the Buyers are favored, it’s just rewarding those whom reward them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BlancoS1:

You don’t think that the designers are deserving of a payment for their efforts? It may appear unjust, or unfair even, and outright frustrating, but it’s just the same when you see a newcomer whom just begun playing hit it big with a yellow astral. It’s not as if the Buyers are favored, it’s just rewarding those whom reward them.

Any reasonable person would agree that you can’t expect developers to release a game that is completely free. Having said that, the same applies to the opposite. Developers shouldn’t release a game where the only focus is making money while ignoring its effect on the balance of the game. Offers should be limited to aesthetics and player convenience.

Flag Post
Originally posted by spell_binder:
Originally posted by BlancoS1:

You don’t think that the designers are deserving of a payment for their efforts? It may appear unjust, or unfair even, and outright frustrating, but it’s just the same when you see a newcomer whom just begun playing hit it big with a yellow astral. It’s not as if the Buyers are favored, it’s just rewarding those whom reward them.

Any reasonable person would agree that you can’t expect developers to release a game that is completely free. Having said that, the same applies to the opposite. Developers shouldn’t release a game where the only focus is making money while ignoring its effect on the balance of the game. Offers should be limited to aesthetics and player convenience.

Totally agree with you about teh P2Win factor. In Saying that there are some good F2P games that have a payment structure but the payments are purely cosmetic and have no relevance to stats or increasing Character abilitys in games. These browser games are purely Pay to Win and what people seem to forget is when they stop becoming economically viable for the developers or hosts then they simply swap out the game and bring in the next one.

For a good example of a F2P game check out path of exile. Its an indie game and is a good comparison. Yes you can spend cash but it wont make you a god or progress you further in game. And they also run events giving away items and currency worth cash to be used in game.

Flag Post

Free players are important.

Sure, they’re ‘cannon fodder’ for cashers but there’s something else at play here. R2 – and ultimately 7ROAD – want to sway free users to cashers, no matter what the amount and means. As everyone has seen, this is done in a multitude of ways, potentially appealing to different personality types: mounts (for aesthetics), revives (for long-term/currency types), gems and refines (for overt power)… and the list goes on. Microtransactions as a business model have been the norm for ten plus years now. There’s a reason why this almost has been accepted unilaterally: it works… by impulse and planned purchases.

The problem as players see it is the fact that ‘permanent free players’ (the ones who strive to play free, no matter the sale/promotion/activity) do not get unfettered access to all the same content as the light/medium/heavy cashers. Though there are exceptions, the majority of content is available. Of course, these same free players will offer up negative opinions about the inherent ‘line-in-the-sand’. Even if all content was freely available – the new want would be methods to close the gap between casher and non-cash player (vouchers to Balens, trading options).

Something else to consider – cashers that do not place time and effort in their characters will find themselves at an eventual disadvantage. Money can buy instant wins at the start – but over time, the same edge will require crushing amounts to compete against players who have been dedicated in development.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blackroca:
Originally posted by KnowingEyes:

Free players are important.

Sure, they’re ‘cannon fodder’ for cashers but there’s something else at play here. R2 – and ultimately 7ROAD – want to sway free users to cashers, no matter what the amount and means. As everyone has seen, this is done in a multitude of ways, potentially appealing to different personality types: mounts (for aesthetics), revives (for long-term/currency types), gems and refines (for overt power)… and the list goes on. Microtransactions as a business model have been the norm for ten plus years now. There’s a reason why this almost has been accepted unilaterally: it works… by impulse and planned purchases.

The problem as players see it is the fact that ‘permanent free players’ (the ones who strive to play free, no matter the sale/promotion/activity) do not get unfettered access to all the same content as the light/medium/heavy cashers. Though there are exceptions, the majority of content is available. Of course, these same free players will offer up negative opinions about the inherent ‘line-in-the-sand’. Even if all content was freely available – the new want would be methods to close the gap between casher and non-cash player (vouchers to Balens, trading options).

Something else to consider – cashers that do not place time and effort in their characters will find themselves at an eventual disadvantage. Money can buy instant wins at the start – but over time, the same edge will require crushing amounts to compete against players who have been dedicated in development.

hmm i force my non-casher mage till level 55, to use the last pvp set, even participating in every wb, devo everyday, mpds and blah blah blah, and got beaten by a guy who played for 3 weeks, while i played 2 months… the rewards are not worth the time. so i quitted, along with some others that are mentally stronger enough, i still check forums/comments/ log in maybe once a week for the lulz

Eventual.

Who was your opponent? Are you sure he just dumped after 3 weeks and never played again? What class was he? Did you do all critical aspects of the daily routine every day? How long have you been playing?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blackroca:

the 3-weeks guy was a casher that poped out of nowhere~ Maecenas , archer, oceanic, he didnt quit. read carefully. ive played 2 months, as i said.

You’re not reading either… as well as not understanding basic game concepts.

Archer > Mage. If he’s still playing, he’ll have an advantage.

I said eventual. Dumping cash and not developing said character means a free player will eventually overtake.