Forums Astroflux

PVP Is the reason I quit

94 posts

Flag Post

I have played tons of mmo games. Never have I come across such a bad pvp system. This game was awesome and I even considered buying some kreds for it, that is until I started getting stalked by people who purposely hunt you while you are minding your own business just to kill you and laugh at you.

Nearly every mmo today has a solid clear cut option of pvp or pvm. Some of us want to enjoy the game without always fighting other players. The PVP system in this game allows anyone to go hostile and then stalk another player who most of the time is just minding their own business playing the game. The fact that you CANNOT turn the PVP off and the person can just keep coming after you when you showed NO aggression at all is why this game is going to fail.

Practically 1 out of every 10 topics is about this subject on the game posts and it will only get worse. As people with the least tolerance for this kind of system leave it will open up people who are tolerating it but don’t like it to more and more attacks until they too leave. The final result will be a skeleton game filled only with a few people who are forced to actually kill opponents that are expecting them. Those people will soon get bored and move on to find another game where they can exploit a flawed pvp system to harass people who just want to enjoy a game.

Flag Post

What a stupid reason.
But better minimap of course is needed.

Flag Post

Stupid? I rarely post with all the games I have played and when I do it is generally for a good reason. You think I am going to waste my time playing a game where I have to look over my should every 10 seconds because of the potential of someone to attack me and lose everything I worked to gain? Tell me, if the reason is so stupid then why is it every major MMO game from Diablo 2 to Everquest to WoW has the exact same standard for PVP and all of these games have been super successful with large communities of people. Do you think any of them would be around if every time a player went out to quest somewhere they were being pked when they didn’t want to fight other players and losing all their loot?

The reason is absolutely valid and it is the reason this game is going to lose all of its player community except for hardcore pvp people. Nobody wants to waste what little time they have to game on a game whos system forces people to constantly look over their shoulder or lose everything they worked for. If I want that kind of experience I might as well walk through a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night with my paycheck in my pocket.

BTW 1 post, level 1, and no badges. Did you make a screen name just to make a remark to me? lol

Flag Post

Strictly speaking, I am not a fan of PvP in general and think this game could do just fine without it – it’s damn well hard enough.

You could satisfy both sides though….
Have the universe in general be co-op only, and tag a couple of extra systems on somewhere where everyone and everything is fair game – you enter those systems and leave the one-and-only safe zone, you fight or you float home in bits.

I fully expect to be descended upon by the whining hoardes of bored bloodthirsty children for daring to hold such a contrary opinion. :3

Flag Post

SadCookieCat your idea is great. From what I have experienced though (and chime in on your own experience) the majority of the people playing the pvp part of this game are not looking for a fair fight. They are predators looking to get a reaction out of other people by ruining their experience. They don’t want to play against other people like them. They get their rise out of disturbing people who are trying to mind their own business. That is why the player base for this game is going to drop like a brick in the ocean if nothing is done to change it.

It should be clear to the game developers that you get a much higher gaming population when you have a clear cut pvp system where you either choose to be in a hostile realm when you want to pvp or you choose to be in a safe zone when you want to pvm. Is it any wonder that this game as good as its potential is, only has 140 people in it at max? When I first started playing this game I was amazed at how fun it was until I started having to look over my shoulder every 10 seconds. I would not be surprised if the number of people who signed up are in the thousands yet the number who stayed is less than 2% of that. All those people are currently off playing games where they don’t have to feel like they are being stalked all the time.

It is hard enough dying to cpu controlled enemies when you make a mistake. Getting killed randomly by players seeking to make your life in a game a living hell so they can feel good about themselves is over the top and the game design right now fosters exactly that kind of environment which is hostile to growth in a game like this.

Flag Post

Buy cargo protection.

Flag Post

Same. Got to lvl 11, hit the first open pvp system, immediately quit. You can’t even do anything against them, they kill you in all of 2 seconds, and with the lag this game has, often times I don’t even get a shot off. Not that I would have a chance, given that I hadn’t munchkin’d my spec with PVP in mind, but had been focusing on farming and Solo PvE.

The only way to respec is to spend an INSANE amount of money, and there is no way to go back to lvl 1 to spec with the inevitable PVP in mind, there’s no way to avoid the pvp, and there is no way to succeed at the pvp with my current setup. GGWP, I’m out.

Flag Post

You know you can just run. I always stay near the recycle station and check the map often for hostiles. I pretty much check the map every time i look for more spawners, a planet, or bosses which is pretty often so hostiles rarely catch me.

Flag Post

Why am I going to play a game that elicits the same response in me that a gazelle has on the open plains of Africa? Why would ANYONE want to play a game in which the entirety of their experience is based on being a prey that is constantly on watch for a predator? Tell me one other game in which such a system works and that game is popular. You will find none. Any game in which the majority of the people work for something and lose their winnings the majority of the time FAILS. No sane person is going to play a game that increases their stress. I don’t care if you believe me or not, this game is going to fail unless it changes the pvp into something productive.

When everyone who wants to mind their own business and just play the game is killed over and over by assholes who simply want to live on a power trip in a video game because they are losers in real life are tired of being killed randomly, they will leave. Then the game will be left to the pvp psychopath crowd who will quickly bore of killing people on an equal level, and then the game will die. It’s as simple as that.

Flag Post

The PvP is essentially Pirates v. Police. Police (non-hostile) have the advantage in not having to worry about friendly fire outside of a team. Without the possibility of being preyed upon, this game would be a horrid grind fest. Learn to kite, run, check the map, etc… Not every iteration of MMO needs to “fit the mold.” Look at Realm of the Mad God. You get one life. You die and you lose everything you’ve worked for. It’s frustrating at first, but it forces you to become a better player.

It’s the developer’s choice to be different with their designs. I for one, enjoy the setup. Could it be tweaked and/or rebalanced? Certainly. Could players try to cooperate more to stick it back to the “assholes” who want to play out their fantasies of universal domination? That’s all up to you.

Flag Post

Well i don’t really mind the pvp system and it makes the game more challenging. At my current rate i think i can unlock every system in less than 2 weeks. Without the current pvp system this game would be all about easy grinding without having to watch your back. As homewreckaz suggested, giving a % of cargo and xp protection for lower levels killed by higher levels depending on the level difference would be nice.

Flag Post

well I got to the green galaxy and their are no pvp caps, so people like 15 levels higher then me just destroyed everything… really bad system all around. No one in the system could take one guy who had a high armor build, we all attacked the player and we just couldn’t do the damage.

Flag Post

There is a broken mechanic too, where the best pvp strategy can be remaining low level through suicides ( – xp) while investing in upgrades to be the best PvP threat. Someone is going to manage to create a monster lvl 7 ship and wreak havoc in some of the early systems. I can’t blame them either as to complete some of the PVP quests or remain competitive with others doing the same it is a fine strategy in the current (game) system.

I have turned level 10 now and feel I have missed the boat on having a great advantage over any other player. And reading the above only seems to confirm it.

I didn’t mind the idea of constant PvP environment, it just needs more balancing.

Grinding for days toward a inefficient PvP ship build is a little painful too.

Flag Post

outlevel the area, thats what experienced players do.

Flag Post

Simple solution would be to just stop the downleveling. Once youre 8 you cant pvp in that zone even if you have 0 XP because of dying.

Flag Post

The guy who posted this thread is right! 1+
This PvP system sucks really! You need to watch every 5 seconds your back. Yesterday I lost 400 freaking crap metal….
This ’’system’’ makes the game 10x times harder . ….

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

We removed the possibility to lose XP below the Arrenius level cap (< level 16). Which should make it impossible to abuse the cap system. So now you can take revenge and greet the puny and weak abusers when they are forced move to Kritillian.

We will keep monitoring the system. Happy pirate hunting!

Flag Post

The pvp is fine.

you want a game with no challenge there are numerous ones out there. I can’t imagine this be any fun whatsoever if there was no pvp to eventually participate in. If the pvp is that hard for you just stay in areas where you are too high level for pvp to be active. right now I’m level 10 in durien. The resources are coming in fast and I can farm all I want with no worries. I really don’t understand the rage here when things like that are an option.

Flag Post

Sorry, but sometimes is just…. gay. I mean you have for example 1000 scrap metal and other stuff. The freaking Recycling Station is on the other end of the map… and on the map are 5 pirates… Sorry but this is gay… To lose all the stuff.

Flag Post

2 demonaii
When i had 2.5k scrap, and i needed to go to recycle and there was pack-o-pirates, i just waited till they will be far enough, so i can pass safely [or gone away].
Why cant you do this?
Or buy cargo protection.

2 Kefkathemad1
> You think I am going to waste my time playing
Well. Every game is waste of time.
I cant see any problem here.

And if you ask me, a game, where you shoot infinite hordes of weak bots, and they has no chance to harm you, is the waste of time at its finest.

You know, game theory says, that game is model of real world, used to model potential harmful situations in such manner, so you can learn to avoid these dangers in your real IRL life. There is enough games, that are modeling asshole fingerpoking.

Flag Post
Originally posted by demonaii:

Sorry, but sometimes is just…. gay. I mean you have for example 1000 scrap metal and other stuff. The freaking Recycling Station is on the other end of the map… and on the map are 5 pirates… Sorry but this is gay… To lose all the stuff.

You should have learned by now to drop off cargo frequently especially if there are 5 pirates running around.

Flag Post

technically, the biggest flaw is pvp is on 24/7. i once tot that only when ur hostile den u can get killed by players. so technically, being hostile or not is barely significant. i also quitted after discovering this dumb pvp system. they can just remove the hostile or not button.

Flag Post
Originally posted by demonaii:

The guy who posted this thread is right! 1+
This PvP system sucks really! You need to watch every 5 seconds your back. Yesterday I lost 400 freaking crap metal….
This ’’system’’ makes the game 10x times harder . ….

Here is my extended guide for not getting killed in pvp:

1) farm in the elite area on the first system until you are level 10. Great exp and drops, really. Move to Durien. Farm there in complete safety until you have your primary weapon and engine speed fully upgraded. Ther eis no need to power-level before getting this.

2) for general farming stay in durien or the next area when you get level 16. Don’t go to the other places unless you want to pvp, try bosses or other fooling around type stuff.

3) stop making enraged posts about something that is so easily avoided. :-D

Flag Post

Not to be a whiner and all, I accept all my deaths, but only way you’re going to survive in most cases against more aggressive PVP is if you are prepared for it. Speed is one thing, but the aggressors have buff up their speed and their weapons usually are fast enough to chase you down.

I tried to go against somebody who had 115 armor, I can’t dent him w/ my blasters. I read that max lightning gun can deal through it, but I don’t have the resources to do that, just so I can beat him.

Long story short, unless you’re tricked out to fight against purely PVP ships, you won’t be able to beat them (or even escape), which goes back to the upgrade issue, that 1 bad upgrade can gimp you heavily.