Forums Astroflux

Astroflux Thoughts

24 posts

Flag Post

Astroflux – Present game

I would classify AstroFlux as an excellent game engine/mechanics, but would call it an incomplete game because there is so much amazing potential to what has been established. The existing content is designed for a player to go into the late 20’s early 30’s before the game either gets difficult or repetitive. Now, this is really based on a single user perspective which doesn’t necessarily group up too often. Grouping up could allow the more difficult regions to be overcome (Sark in partic
ular).

The Great

GUI – very clean and intuitive to use
Play Style – easy in, easy out action game
Weapons – Nice assortment, variety and effects
Systems – well organized and provide varying difficulty when appropriate. I love the little details like the planets revolving around the sun.
Artifacts – ability to make your ship capabilities different than other players. Though end game may look very similar for PvP situations

The Good

Resources – readily available and I can’t really argue with the costs

Leveling – gives you a bump in capabilities. This could be easily be changed to have bigger or smaller increments – based solely on where you want to go from here.

Planet Exploration – I like it and early on the resources are very helpful. I’m not sure where it is going long term, but it’s an interesting distraction and a reason to get to a planet when it might be difficult to clear out the creatures.
Replayability – it’s just a good shooter in every way and form. System response time seems reasonable, but a large load could affect that. Still, it would be a great problem to have.

The Bad

What has been achieves deserves to make you money, but there is no compelling reason for people to necessarily buy flux. We need to correct this so you can fund further development to turn this from a fun platform to a real game.

Astroflux needs to be developed into a game that continues with its action based play style, but turned into more than what it currently is. It really needs some long term game design. It needs something to lure players in and keep them there once they have maxed out their level/ship. It needs resource sinks and player cooperation (guilds/factions) & player battles (with meaning if possible)

Leveling – Downside is that a level difference of 12 gives you 100% changes to the stats and makes level differences quite significant

The Ugly

PvP is terrible because there is no penalty to being a pirate. You can have the best of everything. You basically lose nothing when attacking because you typically have the advantage of first strike or determining the timing of the encounter. In my mind a pirate is a rag tag ship that can take on wary travelers, but not usually capable of bringing down a military vessel (unless it’s the smallest of vessels).

Opinion – Player population has dwindled to a point where this game may vanish.

Artifacts – Remove the resist all artifact or allow the resist all artifact to drop, but have it on a timer so it will decay and maybe be unusable in about a week. This might make fighting a bit more interesting while allowing an artifact to be powerful. Or make the artifact space

Repairing ship damage – comes from existing resources. No resources, then no repair. This will somewhat help

Engine Thrust – comes from existing power and not based ona special ability. This would make following & firing on a ship much much harder

Flag Post

Opinion of what could make this game greater

This will be a very high level overview and I won’t go into great detail

Multiple starting systems

Let us have something on the order of 5-6 races within the game. The different weapons can be grouped to “belong” to a certain race and then they could all have similar base weapons, but let the more advanced weapons come at a later point. Very similar to how it is now, but not all weapons are available to all races.

Weapons from one race to another may not be compatible without some research/technology. Otherwise, you may not be able to pick up a weapon from one race and just add it to your existing ship or there is a chance of failure to make it work.

Don’t allow the starting races to easily meet other races. They should be on the verge of the late teens, early 20’s before the can/should engage in pvp. Similar to the existing structure where Hyperion – Arrenius is the starter area.

Within a race you can be military/police/free trader. These will each have different ship designs/capability. For example free traders have more cargo and bigger pickup radius for debris/loot (like buying the tractor beam option, but permanent). Police/military will have different options as well.

Free Space

The area between starter areas should contain a certain amount of free space where npc creatures can be found in abundance. The existing Gellan System seems like the right idea (Krittilian-Vibrillian/Sark ought to do). Though, I think this area would have to be way way larger.
I could see this area ultimately becoming the battleground for players and/or where guilds will try to establish bases. A base would be a player craftable items and a building that gets created by a guild pooling resources. Then the ships that are generated would act similar to existing pve battle stations and can be attacked by other players (and/or pirates). These structures and the ships that are produced can have many different levels and possible weapons.

Warp gates from each race will only have 1 entrance to free space. Other warp gates would have to be established, but a group of players would have to physically traverse the systems to set up a destination warp gate?

Guilds-Factions

This is ideally an end game and maybe a long term goal would be to turn all pve establishments over to a controlling faction. That way there can be strife within a race to capture a system.

Resource become paramount to factions to keep their battle stations supplied, building weapons and ships to patrol the station (shields, …) This would be on of the game sinks as a battle station would have a limited supply of resources and when they run out the station can no longer produce defensive ships. Meanwhile, stations near planets/asteroids will be able to provide an income to the guild.

The guild will need to constantly get resources to be maintained. It won’t be easily sustained by 1-2 users or the guild won’t get very far if it is. Players will need to donate resources, which could hamper their ability to get weapons

Research

Guilds and even individual players can research newer technologies and there can be multiple weapon types, new weapon types, ship construction, artifacts, …Warp gates, battle stations, no real limit here and lots of depth can be added to this. The base framework that is pve can be taken over by players and then improved.

Ship Types

probably limited by race and have variety within a faction.

The ships may only be able to deploy certain weapons

Each one can have a range configuration (like levels 1-6 in present, but maybe expand these from 1-10 and then only allow each race to get a range like 1-6 within . Thus 1-7, 2-7, 3-8, 4-9, 5-10

For Example you could have a quick strike vehicle that has engines that range from 5-10 (so they essentially start at level 5), but has armor limit of 1-6 and maybe shield limit of 1-8 as well? Turning speed which represents a maximum range (5-10 as well). For cost purposes level 5 = other peoples level 1. The engine could have a power limit of 1-6 so it can’t have a huge upper limit on firepower
Have a juggernaught which can have max shields and armor, slowest turning radius and speed. Could employ limited power (which could represent the fact that more power is needed to make it move)

Pirate Faction – Perma PVP
Not able to get the maximum of each system/weapon available to empires.

PVP – existing pvp (less organized thoughts I had before, but just put in)
Suggestions (not necessarily all of them, but some in consideration of the existing system)

Can’t get maximum category for any ship component. This would be represented by the fact that pirates generally don’t have access to the best possible gear and/or they have to salvage the gear from opposing players.

When killed, get a 10 minute penalty – consider it jail time

Lose considerable xp maybe even a level

Warning system for when a hostile is within “X” distance of a non pirate. This shows up in the min map as a blicking red dot at the edge of the screen

Regular players can eject cargo. This will force the pirate to go or the booty or go for the attack. The ejected cargo should have a very short life for the pirate to be able to pick up

Flag Post

“Opinion – Player population has dwindled to a point where this game may vanish.”

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. The PVP system killed the player numbers early on because people got sick of being killed by pirates and the developer only made a half-assed effort (exp protection) to remedy the problem. So everyone took off.

The game has zero visibility on Kong now and is unlikely to regain it so if the developer wants to do anything they should suck it up, take the advice of the few players like you who stuck around and suggested improvements, and make Astroflux 2.

Flag Post

You compliment how the core gameplay is great, but then you go on to list a ton of unneccesary changes to the core gameplay. While I like some of them, too many changes will make the game less enjoyable for me. I don’t want to rely on other people in guilds to have all the best benefits.

Also, why nerf resist all artifacts? They never protect much as a single resist artifact, so they aren’t overpowered.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GhoullyX:

You compliment how the core gameplay is great, but then you go on to list a ton of unneccesary changes to the core gameplay. While I like some of them, too many changes will make the game less enjoyable for me. I don’t want to rely on other people in guilds to have all the best benefits.

Also, why nerf resist all artifacts? They never protect much as a single resist artifact, so they aren’t overpowered.

The OP didn’t say to change any of the gameplay, but suggest reasons for keeping people in the game. If you want this ti be a social game, then guilds are going to be a reality (because you want them to feel invested in the game). And the fact that they have levels and upgrades lends itself to being more of a progressive game.

With a small development group, it might make sense to turn this into more of an action based game, but how do you keep people in it? They (developers) seem to be in the middle where the action is great and there’s free/open pvp. Perhaps they should move away from the leveling and more towards the action and make it tournament-style based. Turn it into a true action game where there’s a clean reset on ships and/or work progression in a slightly different means.

Flag Post

the PvP thing really did kill this game. the first time I saw PvP on this game, pretty much everyone was a pirate, and I was police since I didn’t know they had an advantage.

Police advantages: none other then more safe zones.
Pirate advantages: EVERYTHING except less safe zones.

I agree, this game has a very slight chance of making it alive because of the PvP.

Flag Post

I’ve been police since I’ve started, and while there is a lot of PvP in Arrenius, it’s easy to avoid the people marked in red on your map. And a person doesn’t get any more credit after killing you 3 times in a row.

And there is a lot less pvp in galaxies beyond Arrenius, and most are friendly duels with consent of both parties, or experienced players chasing out looting noobs who bought their way into a galaxy that they shouldn’t be at yet.

Flag Post

I completely agree, the pvp will probably be the end of this game and if the creators want to keep it alive they need to make some major changes to make it more interesting for high level players like factions, of dungeons you can raid with your friends and get major sorceresses, i also think they need to make flux harder to get you can farm flux pretty easily. they should make harder to get flux, so the is a race of sorts to get it, but don’t make it exclusive so that a select few who use real money to buy flux can advance ship wise.
they should also make ships cost a large amount of resources two to balance lest flux in the systems. in conclusion if they want to keep this game alive they will need to do some major revamping to keep the game alive while still keeping the core game.

Flag Post

it would be the end of the game if there wasnt any pvp. Imagine the boring grind if there wouldnt be pvp.

While i agree that there should be a bigger risk involved for the pirates compared to pretty much no risk at all atm.
Something like an Honor system where after a certain ammount of pirate kills, u cannot turn firendly again, even when changing to a higher lvl system.
(this could be much more in depth ofcourse then just counting kills)

Also, high lvls should be able to proctect ppl from pirates, no matter the pvp lvl cap.
So for example a Lv 20 could be hired from a lv 7 to protect him in lets say durian.
Increasing the Risk for pirates alot.

Flux gain if fine btw. Dont reduce it.

Flag Post

Look man, just because this game is a tad more realistic than the other games which hold your hand, doesn’t mean it sucks.
P.V.P. is nothing but realism. I’d love to see terrorists hanging out in some ‘Unsafe zone’ and killing whoever enters and leaving if its named a ‘Safe zone’.
Flux is another thing this game got right. In real life, you don’t automatically have the money to buy anything. You have to save slowly and slowly to get your dream ship.
Also, pirate disadvantage? Once they get grouped they usually head to the closest enterable station/planet. Once that happens, unless its a warp gate, the only thing that greets them are a ton of people who laid mines, making him explode before he can use hardened shield. Pirating has another disadvantage in the form on high lv players. In low lv zones, its not hard to find Prophecy/Eagle Eye or even sailfish players who came to do the elite areas etc. and pirates get auto-killed if they get targeted by one. Again, realism is at play here. So the thing is, the game is fine. Without P.V.P the game would be nothing but a grindquest, with the occasional boss. So pack up your complaints and go play some other game, for example crazy fairies, bad eggs and other stupid multiplayers who don’t know WHEN to stop with the obvious genre spam.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Smokescreem:

Look man, just because this game is a tad more realistic than the other games which hold your hand, doesn’t mean it sucks.
P.V.P. is nothing but realism.

This from a known PKer. If that’s the way you want to play, target players who want to play PvP. Leave the PvE players alone. If you don’t, you’ll run out of targets as people will just quit.

Flag Post

Just adding a different kind of thought…. it seems to me that once you reach levels 23-25 the only way to advance is by doing missions. The enemies give really crap exp for the effort they take and the last two systems are so darned hard that by the time you get to a level you can semi-comfortably kill some of them you will end up only getting 1 exp from them anyway…

A quick look at the game stats in kongregate shows about 100 gamers that have reached over level 30. If you do it by week you see only about 10 gamers over 23… that means that many gamers quit at about level 25-30 which is bad news for the game, if you cant retain peoples interest then you wont have a loyal community that will spend money on the game.

systems with 1-2 players in them suggest there may be something odd with the balance of the ncps….

PS. gosh there are some that shoot you to death before you can even see them on your screen…clearly the kongregate screen imposes big limitations since we cant go full screen…

Flag Post

PVP in this game sucks donkey nuts.

Excuse me, I just wasted my time getting ganked by someone that likely bought flux to soup up their ship? What a load of horse crap. …and there is no way I can opt-out of PvP unless I stay in zones I’m over leveled in?

epic fail.

pvp should always be optional.

Flag Post
Originally posted by kitty_tc_69:

This from a known PKer. If that’s the way you want to play, target players who want to play PvP. Leave the PvE players alone. If you don’t, you’ll run out of targets as people will just quit.

Excuse me? I’m a known pker? I think your confusing my pirate kills to neutral kills. The only time I went hostile to kill neutral players was in kapello once. After that, not once have I done that, except for when I use to the get advantage on camping pirates.If you don’t know what accusations to make, don’t. You are nothing but a weak noob.
People killing you with better ships? GET ONE. People using stronger weapons? GET ONE. People higher lv than you? Ridiculous. Go train in hyperion elite or do missions in a zone where there are no pkers. If its a good mission then frigging go the other way. No one said that pkers teleport in front of you. You usually fail to run from them. That the case then buy engine upgrades.

Flag Post
Originally posted by kitty_tc_69:

Excuse me? I’m a known pker? I think your confusing my pirate kills to neutral kills. The only time I went hostile to kill neutral players was in kapello once. After that, not once have I done that, except for when

Except for when you killed me twice in a row just yesterday. What, did you think I wouldn’t remember? I was there. You’re not only a PKer, but also a liar.

Flag Post

Sheesh it’s a game so he killed you it’s part of the game! if they didn’t want pvp they wouldn’t have added it in.

Flag Post

this is a great game but they should ad like guild takin like you can capture places in your guild and own them and defend them also they should make you can fire all your weapons at once

Flag Post

this game will live if there was no pvp

Flag Post

Doomfire44 LOL seriously?

The pvp in the game now is NOTHING compared to what these people were playing in. You have no idea how much better it is now in this regard. Now pvp is totally optional. It is your fault if the 25% extra loot lured you in.

Flag Post

i never went to pvp and i will never do it

Flag Post

You guys who condemning players who are trying to get their +25% loot in pvp are from higher levels. If you are lvl 73, what fun is it to destroy a player at lvl 15?. You guys are just picking on the lower lvl ships, because you cannot beat someone who is on the same lvl as you. You also probably got beat up alot in High School!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Infinitebaffle:

You guys who condemning players who are trying to get their +25% loot in pvp are from higher levels. If you are lvl 73, what fun is it to destroy a player at lvl 15?. You guys are just picking on the lower lvl ships, because you cannot beat someone who is on the same lvl as you. You also probably got beat up alot in High School!

THIS^^

Flag Post

if you go to settings and press hub off you cant get it back on wtf!!!!

Flag Post

Press ‘H’ to go to the Settings screen ;)