Forums Sonny 2

Sonny 2 Over the Ashes Psychological Guide

85 posts

Flag Post

This guide will be geared towards achieving the in game ‘Legend’ achievement, as well as the Over the Ashes Badge, and therefore will be dealing with a character that will not improve by simply putting time into it. Skill is needed, and skill is what I will be dealing with. Also, GUIDE, not walkthrough.

BASICS:
The psychological class, like the others has two main trees. The shadow tree, which is a damage/healing over time defensive tree, and the lightning tree, which is mainly offensive spells. Also, all stat points should go into intellect. No exceptions. If you’re dying a lot, try using retrograde on the turn in which you take the most damage. Also, you do not want an offensive strategy. In heroic, it simply does not work. The first priority is always staying alive; killing comes second. Also, you will need to re-spec often. You will be too low of a level to use any of the stuff you can buy, anyway, so this is a useful way to spend money.

GEAR:
High intellect, a little bit of vitality. Speed is third priority, strength is fourth. Remember that for every point gained in speed from gear, you gain four points when you need them due to wraith form. Only enough to stay alive however, because if your intellect is high enough, you can easily heal more than enough every turn. Also, if you get too much vitality, overdrive takes a larger amount of health. (it is percentage based.)

SKILL BUILDS:
The beginning build
-Skill wheel: Free Will x 2, Terrify, Retrograde, Epiphany, Dark Infusion, Corrupt, Traumatize -
Only use this build early game. Terrify is very useful until you are out of the prison. Retrograde is your best friend, especially on the fight with the three inmates. Do not get a point in overdrive until you have epiphany. The twisted experiment is one of the hardest fights in the game. keep free will up. Once you hit level 10, every spell is accessible, and terrify has become useless. re-spec into one of the following.

The Defensive hybrid build: (usually 3v3 fights)
Skill wheel- Free Will x 2, Shock Coma x 2, Epiphany, Electric Storm, Psychopath Form, Traumatize
Decked out with stuns. Keep one enemy completely down with shock comas, and it becomes 2v3. Cast Epiphany and Free Will in psychopath form, because the damage/healing is based on what your intellect was at the time of the cast. Traumatize one if it does anything dangerous looking. (i.e, enrage with the twin guardians.)

The offensive electric build:
Skill wheel-Free Will x 2, High voltage, Electric storm, Charged bolt, Shock coma x 2, Wraith form
This is for those fights when the defensive build does not work. Normally when there are two bad people and a good person, (i.e., the hydra, the ice zombies, etc.) you can get away with the defensive hybrid build, but when there is a single bad person and two good people, (i.e., the dogs…) you need a build that can take the strong ones out as fast as possible. This is the only exception to the ‘always be defensive’ rule, and still, I would cast Free Will first turn.

The offensive shadow build: (useful in either 2v3 or 3v3)
Skill wheel: Free Will x 2, Corruption, Epiphany, Electric Storm, Psychopath Form, Insecurity, Traumatize.
A very efficient build until around the cave. Epiphany does not get removed upon a corrupt cast. Therefore, you can epiphany, and then corrupt every turn for huge DPT (damage per turn). Also, corruption’s healing along with free will makes you almost invincible.

The 3v1 six turn instant win build:
Skill Wheel: High voltage x 2, Shock Coma x 2, Retrograde, Free Will x 2, Electrical Storm.
Cast high voltage twice, shock coma twice, another high voltage and then retrograde. Only one level of high voltage is necessary. We only cast it for the healing bonuses, which are constant regardless of level.
Let’s look at the math.
2 shock comas – 24% life heal per turn.
+ 50% healing bonus x 3 = about 118% of their life (the bonuses compound.)
and then retrograde, so they take 118% of their life total, which will put them somewhere below 0.
For some bosses that heal on their own, like gregor, you need only cast high voltage twice. If you’re having trouble winning, strip your allies of their gear. They will then have lower health than you, and will be attacked first most of the time.

There you have it. Good luck.

Flag Post

I’m sorry to break it to you but the “coma combo” was dismantled by the upgrades that krin made BEFORE it got into kong.It would be nice to play it before acting all knowing and making a topic about it as well…

Flag Post

Just a fun fact: I beat the whole game as an electric psycho. It’s actually pretty easy, but supposedly, Bio is ridiculously simplistic.

So yeah…

Also, you do not want an offensive strategy. In heroic, it simply does not work

That’s not true. the guy who has a thread stickied on the AG forums even disagrees with you. Shadow build DOES work, but electric is more efficient. Shadow path kills you too fast.

Flag Post

i tried the electric build on heroic (it is what i beat easy with), and i died in only a few turns in almost every battle. i guess if you built a more sturdy charater the electric build would be more effective.

you are very wrong stone_devil; i used the “coma combo” described above at about 3:30 this afternoon to defeat the corruptor. I have a timestamped screenshot, but i don’t know how to post images.

Flag Post

i tried the electric build on heroic (it is what i beat easy with), and i died in only a few turns in almost every battle

It starts off a little rocky, I’ll admit.

Posting screenshots is easy. Upload the image to something like photobucket.com, then get the direct to the image and surround it with the proper tag. It should look like !imageurl!

Flag Post

Here is the link to the picture; you will notice the date in the top right corner.

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt276/linux_for_life/?action=view&current=Sonny2Corruptor.png

Flag Post

And… ummm… You killed the orbs WHY exactly?

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure that the combo described in this thread is different than the old combo. It’s longer, but if it works, it works. Hard to argue with the screen shot.

Flag Post

lol.
after aiding one of them with retrograde, the orbs killed themselves.

Flag Post

But you can kill the corrupter without killing the orbs, and she’s incredibly weak with them still alive.

Flag Post

Ugh… that roll-out for the Corruptor just looks… ugh. Here’s what I did.

Iri’s Strategy for Overtaking the Corruptor Without Killing the Orbs
Ability Roll-Out:
2 Shock Coma (maxed)
1 Traumatize (doesn’t matter)
1 Wraith Form (maxed)
2/3 Shock Therapy (maxed)
2/1 Electrical Storm (maxed)
Passive Skills: Charged Blood (max)
Stats: Mostly, if not all, Instinct. Throw in Speed for kicks, Vit if you’re paranoid.
Gear: The Psych Gear from Zone 7, duh. Wrath of the Council if you have it, Law Binder if you don’t (or for the lulz, Homing Beacon/Blast Shield).

Combat Guidelines:
-Your teammates… meh. They can do what they want.
-Coma the Orb of Restraint. You don’t have to do this out of the gates, but it’s one less thing to worry about. You also don’t have to recast Coma whenever it recovers, but you don’t have to worry about it healing the Corruptor when it gets out.
-If you feel the need to do so, Traumatize/Coma the Orb of Sanctuary. Shock gets rid of Greater Purpose anyways, and at 30, you’ll be doing more than its healing.
-Shock/Storm the Corruptor as you please with/without Wraith Form. With is definitely preferrable, but the 12-turn wait can be a pain. Plus, opponent’s double turns once those four turns is up is definitely something to consider.

Flag Post

The screenshot looks nice but the math(s) doesn’t.

24% * 1.5 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 81%

You also need a lot of Speed to have a chance of this working because High Voltage misses a lot.

Flag Post

hmmm.. you are right about the math. I had seen the math on another site and did not check it myself. The theoretical value is 81% damage, but the corruptor actually takes exactly double that, 162% (46285/28572). Perhaps a bug?

Flag Post

Ah, you are playing it on easy then? I couldn’t quite read the health of the Corruptor in your screenshot and just assumed it was the same as mine on Heroic. The explanation for the 162% damage is probably that you also have Overdrive which doubles the strength of your Healing-over-time ability, which I hadn’t bothered with when I tested out your theory.

I would also like to add that I hardly ever used Retrograde, except that one where he has 2.5 million HP and heals for 500,000 HP. Even Nostalgia, who heals for 10,000 HP is beatable without Retrograde (and without Roald, who I somehow lost early on!)

Oh, and even pumping all available stats into Speed still doesn’t get a 100% hit rate on High Voltage :(

Flag Post

I have used the walkthrough and the games still hard. I’m guessing that I have to think of the tactics order of moves I’m using myself.

Flag Post

another fairly simple strategy I was using through alot of the earlier levels was to start w/ an Insecurity and spam Dark Echoes (both maxed) until the turn before they wore off. That last turn I would end with either Corruption or a maxed Nightmare depending on how low the enemy was.

Granted, this method probably won’t work against those bosses w/ 500k+ hp (I went ahead and re-speced to the focus drain for the baron), but the steady weakness to shadow nets you pretty good DPT. Other than those abilities mentioned, I had also maxed Tenacity for the hp/def, as well as pumping some points into Free Will but it isn’t necessary to max it.

Flag Post

yep people, the thing that makes the Shock Coma/Retrograde combo tick is Overdrive, for its double heal over time. Difficulty plain does not matter.

Flag Post

wtf basic wheel doesn’t work at all. Maxed out free will and had four on wheel and still got blown away free will doesnt even block twisted experiment after round 4 or so. You got to wait till he beats the crap out of you and free will times off before you can defend yourself. but wait your already dead because he beat the crap out of u.

Flag Post

Free will is mostly good for the shielding. The healing is just icing, really.

Flag Post

?

Flag Post

This is a bit unrelated, but I can’t get the “Legend” achievement. When I start the battle, it glitches and everyone just sits there. Can’t click on anything, no timer, and the mayor and onyx thing don’t attack. But in response to the discussion, I don’t think defensive is very helpful at all. The only time I used any defensive abilities was to get the pacifist achievement, and the battle took forever. On heroic, the only battles that have given my any grief are the dog ones, and I beat those pretty easily w/o using a single defensive skill. I have the full shadow tree and the full electric tree (no electron charge and high voltage is only 1/4). Charged blood is 5/5.

Flag Post

I am currently playing the psycho lightning build. This is what i use:
3/3 shock thrapy – good damage, and removes buffs. I have this 2x on my wheel.
4/4 electric storm – decent damage, costs no focus, and gets 60 focus back over 3 turns. I have this 2x on the wheel, and interchangebly attack with this and therapy
4/4 Salvation – Makes veradux heal very very very well, and gives him focus per turn which means he will cast more heals before having to restock focus. 1x on the wheel
3/5 Tenacity – i will get this up to 5 eventually. The life and physical defense boost is very nice and helps to stay alive.
1/1 Wraith form – somewhat questionable. Damage boost is nice, but if u get a double turn from the speed boost, the enemy will get double turn after it runs out. Watch out. To be safe, cast ultimatum. 1x on the wheel, could be flipped with free will for a move defensive approach.
5/5 Charged blood – Triple piercing. No need to explain.
4/4 Free will – Good shield, and works VERY well with ultimatum, making you almost invulnerable. 1x on the wheel, unless I am using salvation, in which case its not on the wheel (veradux does well enough with healing).
1/1 ultimatum – the most powerful defensive ability sonny has. It grants a 95% damage redux. You also get that much less healing, and lose 5% (not 10, like description says) life per turn. Basically, you are invincible for 20 turns. This is very good when you dont yet have salvation and/or good gear and are facing things like bloodhounds that deal upwards of 2k damage ea.
1x on the wheel when needed.

With this line-up, i can deal a cosistant 4-5k damage with therapy, more in wraith form. I rarely die, thanks to Dux and his excellent heals (he heals 3-4k a turn).
At any time, either free will, wraith, or ultimatum is off the wheel. I generally keep ultimatum on, since it is like the ultimate savior. If i need to be more defense, i use free will + ultimatum, else get wraith instead of Free will.

Flag Post

Well this is how I did it: (Works most of the time)
1) Boost your allies with destruction and salvation.
2) Terrify, Free will (on everyone)
3) Retrograde when you have 1/4 hp left (works better if you have low speed)
4) Epiphany, corruption
5) Have Roald instead of Felicity (better hp and strength), and on agressive mode although greater purpose is a pretty good effect.

Flag Post

Whoo, a guide!!!!@!!

Flag Post

lol i started a heroic psycho and got him to baron brixius before i stopped playing the game for a while, when i came back i forgot u cant train for the legend achievement so i trained a bunch and beat several battles before realizing my mistake.

Now i have to start him over…:(