Forums Sonny 2

Why Sonny 2 was an abomination, and why Sonny 3 should not be made page 5

188 posts

Flag Post

Personally I rated Sonny 5/5 and Sonny 2 4/5. My rating fell because 1; it seems that some of the enemies are random ( flower zombie?? ) 2; this game was long, too long I think( I also think Sonny was too short ) There’s 5 places on easy 6 on challenging and 7 on heroic. There are MANY enemies in each place so beating heroic takes at least five hours I’d say. 3; There’s only 3 classes and one of those classes is only playable on AG. I beat Sonny 4 times and this one has limited choices.

Flag Post

ok if people don’t actually get the storyline, they are just some bunch of skeptical people. Really, the whole story is about what sonny wants to find out, the majority and what he is and what happend. People is trying to make an Epic Argument towards the developer which i think he’s awesome (thanks for sonny) and nevertheless, sonny’s adventure is yes random, but the majority plan, the main goal here is trying to find answers of why he rose up from the dead…pure and simple. if you guys try to make some rationalization exuces and trying to fight about it, then i think you guys are just pure sad…

Flag Post

If people don’t like the game then get lost and stop complaining.

Flag Post

this thread sux dix…..

Flag Post
Originally posted by Theoria:

Sonny 1 was a great game with a original perspective: Being hunted by a zombie because of ignorance. It stuck to the roots of flash gaming by keeping it simple.

Sonny 2 was an utter failure, attempting to fix it’s numberous plotholes and adding in a storyline that is cryptic at best. Out of all the horrible dialogue, what do we learn? There’s a conspiracy to make money. Sonny 2 completely went against the original in that it was made in the prospect that more complicated = better. A muddled soundtrack, overblown graphic updates (waste of time), horrible and disorganized dialogue, very disorganized skill systems made this game an ABSOLUTE MESS to play.

If Jakrin continues, he may very well go against the principles that made Sonny 1 so great and create new monstrosities. As much as I love sonny (And I do like Jakrin, Sonny, and somewhat have a liking for Sonny 2) I can’t bear to see wasted effort. More likely than not Sonny 3 WILL probably be even more confused and build upon the flaws of sonny 2.

Not to mention, adding new classes, skills, graphics, music will take ages (several years) and will be for naught, because it’s all wrong. And honestly, multiplayer & co-op are some really unreasonable requests (to name a few) that have been suggested which might take inexistent budgets and months to create.

Feel free to trash my opinion or add your own. Keep in mind I’m not saying Sonny 2 is not a BAD GAME, I’m saying it was an abomination in the way that it unnecessarily veered from it’s original success, and if this continues, Sonny 3 will be a game that falls flat on it’s ass for trying too hard.

theoria, WHY do people even CARE about the storyline!?!? i play games because they’re fun and if it has a storyline, i ignore it. also, why is complicated bad? i hate sonny because it is TOO simple!

Flag Post

Really my only complaint was the classes….i didnt enjoy them as much as Sonny…..plus i think i got cooler looking gear in Sonnny but its been awhile since i beat Sonny2

Flag Post

I really enjoyed playing Sonny 2. And to be fair, we dont have to pay for it, its totally free. So if you dont like it, shut up and dont play it. You have no right to complain about something free, that others enjoyed.

Flag Post

I thought both Sonny 1 and Sonny 2 were excellent, and I am awaiting the day Sonny 3 is released.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Verarde:

I thought both Sonny 1 and Sonny 2 were excellent, and I am awaiting the day Sonny 3 is released.

THANKS A MAN WITH SENSE dont listen to theoria ok

Flag Post

EVERYONE WHO ARGUES ON THIS LISTEN: listen to theoria, listen to everybody, you don’t have to agree, in fact, i believe this is how alot of big arguements go down: this is good, this is bad this is good, this is bad, then one side gets something important said, than another thing importan said, than the other side does smething important, and another. now, my thing is: if you like it you like it, if you don’t like it you dont like it but to stop the arguement will i have to go to the world council or something? i mean, the problem here is that there are 2 different perspectives: 1. the smart 2. the stupid 3. the noob 4. the aggitaters 5. the aggressors now, if a developer for nintendo games saw this and said, “wow, this is great! i’ll take this!” one side would shut up, if they said “this is nothing, get it away from me” the other would shut it, all i’m sayin is, you need to get off topic, if you reply to this and disagree with me you’re not listening

Flag Post

*5 topics

Flag Post

IT IS NO BAD GAM ITS AWESOME, YOURE ALL RETARDS!!!
nah isnt true, but it is awesome.

Flag Post
Originally posted by goldridder5:

IT IS NO BAD GAM ITS AWESOME, YOURE ALL RETARDS!!!
nah isnt true, but it is awesome.

hey this is for criticizing.not that i don’t object to this,i do,but you should only criticize in this thread :P

But seriously…sonny 2 IS a free game.there are games you have to buy that are much worse.

Flag Post

two things: 1, i said dont comment _ 2. i agree with kash

Flag Post

Don’t worry, I bet the next game will tie up all the plotholes. The music will turn out to really have been a note from the man at the start of the first game explaining to Sonny how Sonny was his son that, in his delirium over Sonny’s death, the doctor guy rose from the dead. This created the zombie invasion and…made Sonny hate magical homeless people on trains. I’m sure the conspiracy will make sense too, with a sappy ending where Sonny realizes that the only true zombies were those that wanted money. Them and the risen undead that like nomming on head-candy.

Flag Post

I’m still sticking with the fact that 2 was better and 3 will be even more so. ╭∩╮﹙︶︵︶﹚╭∩╮ Screw you people who hate this game!

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

lolz you guys dont realize it the zombie hunters need zombies to get money which is why they keep attacking sonny and felicity helps you out because she is against the mayor and the mayor is the one who killed her also the mayor is the one behind the zombie makings. his boss is just somebody who didnt want to get they’re hands dirty. the train and the cave was the only way to get to the mayor. thats the storyline. (man you guys are so clueless, use your brain besides school hmmm).

Flag Post

Wow… the ad hominem that exploded in here is just ridiculous. You leave the thread for half a year and hope that it generates some reasoning… only to see the exact opposite happening.

Originally posted by xelux:

lolz you guys dont realize it the zombie hunters need zombies to get money which is why they keep attacking sonny and felicity helps you out because she is against the mayor and the mayor is the one who killed her also the mayor is the one behind the zombie makings. his boss is just somebody who didnt want to get they’re hands dirty. the train and the cave was the only way to get to the mayor. thats the storyline. (man you guys are so clueless, use your brain besides school hmmm).

Oh look, more ad hominem.

It’s silly to think that Sonny 2’s detractors have no idea what they’re getting into when they play the game and are absolutely oblivious to what’s going on except when they’re in control of the game. That may define how you play, say, a racing game or even an idle game, but an RPG? Hell no.

The detractors— well, I suppose “we” would be better— are not saying the storyline is nonexistent. What we are saying is that it is horribly constructed in Sonny 2. Every single world adds little plot in trying to clarify anything from Sonny. (Oh boy, the tape… which just adds more question marks, but I’ll let it slide; anything else? Exactly.) The ending, i.e. Felicity’s “revelation” and the ol’ gang putting the pieces together, blindsides people because there is zero mentioning of the ZPCI making money or making zombies to incite fear amongst humanity until that very revelation. Krin aggravates this glaring plothole by including zero lead-up that even suggests the explanation justifying any of the happenings in the storyline; not only is there is nothing that suggests that the ZPCI needs money, but the notion of anyone receiving any monetary compensation of any kind is not even mentioned until the end of the game!

We complain about the blatant lack of a quality story because of Sonny’s genre. The Sonny series belongs to the RPG genre, and that means you need roles to play. Roles are filled in by characters. Characters are fleshed out by background information, and such background information also justifies their actions. In order to harmonize all of these aspects (and more!), you need a cohesive and compelling story. I would liken the ending of Sonny 2 to the final two battles of FF9 (you beat the primary antagonist in the penultimate battle and end up fighting a final boss who only has 4-5 sentences worth of dialogue to flesh him out… in a game where you typically clock in at around 40-60 hours of gameplay): all of your adventuring up is made practically meaningless by the time you reach the end of the game, all thanks in part to the narration.

TL;DR: Sonny 2’s critics get the storyline. It just makes no sense within the domain of the series, and that’s why it’s a terrible storyline. And seriously, arguing ad hominem isn’t arguing much for your side of the issue.

Flag Post
Sonny 2 completely went against the original in that it was made in the prospect that more complicated = better

I agree with this statement completely.
When I first started playing I thought “Ugh…too hard, can’t decide on what to do…too confusing” and never finished it.

Flag Post

Why are these posts still going on? I love how the plot matters just about over 9000x more than the gameplay to everyone who was shot it down so far. The game is good, if you want good plot go read a book. A massive amount of really good games have no plot whatsoever, they’re just mindless fun created for our enjoyment. Our FREE enjoyment.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheYister:

I love how the plot matters just about over 9000x more than the gameplay to everyone who was shot it down so far.

You really don’t get how vital a quality storyline is to an RPG, do you? (Also, we already shot down the gameplay earlier in the thread. For some reason, though, most of the posts afterward were either ad hominem frenzies or people showing flat-out ignorance.)

The game is good, if you want good plot go read a book.

Or I can play a decent RPG with a good storyline like, say, the MARDEK series. I don’t see how this adds to the argument that Sonny’s storyline has a lot to be desired.

A massive amount of really good games have no plot whatsoever, they’re just mindless fun created for our enjoyment. Our FREE enjoyment.

If by that you mean “games that don’t require a decent storyline for its genre (which makes up almost every other genre out there save for RPGs),” then I stand to agree with you. However, as I mentioned, Sonny is an RPG, so I do have to pay attention to the story, as RPGs thrive and die on their story.

If you don’t care for stories in RPGs (I recommend that you should, but it’s up to you), then so be it. No critique of the storyline, regardless of quality or quantity, will really matter to you. If you do care, well… you should really see how poorly Krin constructs the story for Sonny.

Flag Post

@xlridescence

Even though Sonny 2 is classified under the “RPG” genre, I consider it more of a Strategy game, which requires more of a gameplay experience to be successful. There are strategy games with much more “grinding” than the Sonny series (e.g. Gemcraft although it is kind of unfair to compare the TD genre, but both Gemcraft Ch. 0 and Sonny 2 are based off the same idea – that you should find a specific skill point spec that allows you to complete your challenges), and these games in this genre tend to have very little storyline – the storyline in Sonny 2 should be considered a bonus, not a detraction. The original Gemcraft had very little storyline and overpowering abilities (e.g. # of high-grade starter gems), and in many ways is like Sonny 2, except Sonny 2 offers MORE variety (3 classes and more abilities), LESS grinding, and MORE gameplay strategies (especially the psychological class, not so much biological). You say that these are “failures” of the RPG instead of merits for a strategy game, and you should be complaining about the classification of this as an RPG instead of a Strategy game, like the original Sonny. Furthermore, Gemcraft Ch. 0 (in contrast to the first, and keeping the analogy) offered a challenging gameplay with many different styles. It was much more challenging than the first, offered individual strategies for different levels, and offered relatively more variety of play in its different modes, all of which you claim to be merits of games which Sonny 2 lacks. Finally, you’re assuming that because you don’t know of a good continuation of the storyline, that the plot is poor. If Krin can explain it in a way that complements Sonny 2 and ties up all the loose ends, then it will stop most of the criticism. The root of the criticism arises from Sonny 2 being an unfinished series – people have played through it a number of times, and they get tired of it. Some of your arguments say that the Sonny series is on the wrong track – that it is taking the poor aspects of the game and leaving out the others that made the original enjoyable. However, there has been some improvement and much more plot action, and more gameplay variety with multiple classes. Most people would argue that the gameplay has improved. The variety and unique strategies, above all, will help Sonny 3 in the future.

Flag Post

i like the post walls that i’m supposed to read but am not. sonny 3 ftw. because

Flag Post

Sonny 2 was a good game to play.
Sonny was a good game to play. But it was also a unique game that could have had a storyline and a need for strategy.
Sonny 2 was a terrible sequel because it had a crap storyline and no need for strategy. Also, the uniqueness of the protagonist being a hunted, sentient zombie was completely removed.

I rated Sonny 2 higher than Sonny based on how much I enjoyed the games, but I still agree with the the people who say that Krin epic failed when making Sonny’s sequel.