A Poor Man's Guide to One Hit Kill

73 posts

Flag Post

First of all let me clear one thing up: “poor man” is relative here. If you just reached mission 24 you almost certainly lack the cards needed to earn the achievement. This guide is intended for players who have beaten most or all missions, but don’t have the many high end cards that standard guides call for (i.e. 3 missile silos). First, I have the exact mission and deck that I successfully used. After that is an in-depth look at how you can build similar decks to make up for any gaps you might have in cards. Subsequent posters have some of their own strategies you can try, though I personally haven’t tested them all.

Mission 34
Atlas with Nightstalker, Missile Silo, Artillery Encampment, 5x Rally Flags, Command Center, and Xeno Forcefield.

The Mission
My preferred mission is 34. The one downside is that the enemy commander has a lot of health (16), but there are a lot of positives. Most units are high delay, most units are very marginal, there is minimal siege present, and there are no enemy walls.

1) Commander
Atlas or Ajax is ideal for innate strike. If you lack both of these the achievement is still possible, but you need more strike buildings (see below) and luck. If you lack these two use Sidoze – he weakens the enemies and paired with Shock Grunt you can get away with one less rally structure.

2) Strike Structures
To stay alive until you are setup for the kill, you need strike to kill the enemy units. Obviously, this has to come from structures. With Atlas/Ajax as commander you can get away with as little as 1 Missile Silo and an Artillery Encampment. Another strike structure can be used if desired, but no more than 3 slots should be devoted to strike structures (before filling out the rest of the necessary cards, that is). If you lack Atlas/Ajax add an Orbital Cannon (or another Missile Silo/Artillery Encampment). If you lack a Missile Silo another Artillery Encampment (or 2) and an Orbital Cannon may be a sufficient replacement; make sure to check that you have the other required cards in first before adding too many strike structures.

3) Rally Structures
Your rally has to come from structures, and you will need SIX rally 2 structures (with a few exceptions) that work on the same unit type. Your best bet is to go raider, with mass Rally Flags (preferred) and/or Command Centers. If you lack enough raider rally structures, check for the other races. Imperial has Harbor Command and Comsat Terminal, Bloodthirsty has Asylum, and Xeno has Xeno Singularis. If you have Grinder (a 6 attack raider) you can get away with only five rally 2 structures. Similarly, you can use Sidoze as commander and Shock Grunt as your assault unit and get away with five rally 2 structures.

4) Assault Unit
To deal the damage you need one unit with a minimum of 4 attack (if the unit has its own rally that gets it to 4 attack this is fine). Try and avoid picking any creature that has an ability that you don’t want mimiced (the enemy has a non-wall structure with mimic). Obviously the type of your unit should match the type of your rally structures. Example raider: Mobile Magnacannon, example imperial: Zealot, example bloodthirsty: Ravager, and example xeno: Chimera. Again, if you have a Grinder this is ideal since you can get away with one less rally structure. Shock Grunt excels if you are using Sidoze as commander.

5) The rest
Any openings (there will be at most 2, more likely 1 or 0) in your deck should be filled out with more strike structures or walls. If you are exclusively using rally flags I would highly recommend a wall.

Play order
When playing your cards, use the following order of priority: strike structures, walls, rally structures, and finally assault unit.

Final Notes
If you are using a raider deck you should need only a little luck to pull off one-hit kill; you simply can’t have your strike structures be buried too far. If you are relying heavily on walls for your rally, you will need a moderate amount of luck to keep any of them from getting killed off.

NOTE: I completely redid this post so the first few responses may make zero sense.

Flag Post

How much hp does the commander have, also using heavy gunner could work provided you have enough rallys.

Flag Post

Flurry doesn’t work for this achievement. It doesn’t count as only one attack.

Flag Post

Thanks.

Flag Post

nj, option 1 worked on the first try.

Flag Post

Zadier, I’ve heard many players say they used flurry (notably with Mawcor and Fury Walker) to earn the achievement. I personally didn’t use flurry when I got it so I can’t test. Can anyone confirm for or against flurry?

Flag Post

I can confirm against flurry. 100% as of when I did it (about 2 weeks ago). Observed very carefully.

People who say they used flurry either confuse 1hKO with “speedy X” achieves, or are plain clueless/false.

(There’s a miniscule chance that something got changed in last 2 weeks, but I really doubt it. Rumors of flurry-based 1hKO circulated long before, and were as wrong as ever.)

Flag Post

i can confirm for flurry with mawcor for the one-hit kill achievement. But this was over 2 weeks ago, so like arcanis said, they may have changed something.

Flag Post

I can confirm against flurry, and my try is only about 5 days old.

Flag Post

Updated the first post to cover more types than just raider and to exclude flurry.

Flag Post

This is a very cheap one hit kill the Generator isnt needed

Originally posted by Arsenus:

My setup on mission 24:
Thadius
Immortal (doesn’t really matter, just 2+ attack),
4x Harbour Command
Cloning Lab (guess I forgot it in the deck when rebuilt lol)
Earthquake Generator
2x Sulfurous Acid Pit

Many can be exchanged for things like EMP, Orbital Cannon etc. Just clear all enemy troops and play assault unit as one of the last 3. No flurry/fear required ;)

Flag Post

Probably viable, but that’s asking for a lot. I’m level 28 I only have 1 harbour command, no cloning lab, and no earthquake generator. If I don’t have it most lower level players won’t have it either. My optimal deck works with 3 gold pack rares, and you if you lack any one of them there are substitutes. Heck, with some luck a variation of my deck would probably work with ZERO rares.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HoopleDoople:

Probably viable, but that’s asking for a lot. I’m level 28 I only have 1 harbour command, no cloning lab, and no earthquake generator. If I don’t have it most lower level players won’t have it either. My optimal deck works with 3 gold pack rares, and you if you lack any one of them there are substitutes. Heck, with some luck a variation of my deck would probably work with ZERO rares.

Harbour + Immortal really the only thing needed. I actually had Thadius and 3 Harbours. The point being is Immortal (reward) Habour(uncommon) and Acid Pit (common) can all be accuired very easily. Just Rally + kill.
No rares really needed (I actually used Thadius, 3 Harbours, 3 acid pits Immortal and just achievement cards when I did this I did this I think when I was level 10 or so and still on missions)

Bulldozer (reward) and Rally Flags should also work very easily.

Flag Post

i did this with an assault unit i never seen anyone said they did with: blight crusher
commander malort
3 asylums
2 acid pits
a missile silo
a xeno forcefield
and 1 orbital cannons if i remember well
and 1 demolish (action card,siege 5,enemy had a 5hp wall)

mission 42 i think i chose because all radiers, no siege (i think)

just played pits,silo,cannon,forcefield,demolish as soon as the wall came,then asylums and finally blight crusher

Flag Post

gordo that isnt enough rally, unless commander for 42 has 11hp? which I dont think it does

Flag Post

Worked like a charm first time. Thanks man!

Flag Post

My main problem with all suggested decks, is that I don’t have the cards. :\

@Brogsta – hell yes it does. If you haven’t reached the mission yet, don’t try to be a wiseguy about it.
For the achievement you’d still need to rally 5 times, though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zadier:

Flurry doesn’t work for this achievement. It doesn’t count as only one attack.

Originally posted by HoopleDoople:

Zadier, I’ve heard many players say they used flurry (notably with Mawcor and Fury Walker) to earn the achievement. I personally didn’t use flurry when I got it so I can’t test. Can anyone confirm for or against flurry?

Originally posted by ArcanisX:

I can confirm against flurry. 100% as of when I did it (about 2 weeks ago). Observed very carefully.

People who say they used flurry either confuse 1hKO with “speedy X” achieves, or are plain clueless/false.

(There’s a miniscule chance that something got changed in last 2 weeks, but I really doubt it. Rumors of flurry-based 1hKO circulated long before, and were as wrong as ever.)

Originally posted by JunkHindertrunk:

i can confirm for flurry with mawcor for the one-hit kill achievement. But this was over 2 weeks ago, so like arcanis said, they may have changed something.

Originally posted by icrine:

I can confirm against flurry, and my try is only about 5 days old.

I can confirm that I did it with Mawcor over a month ago on Facebook so again, if it doesn’t work now, they was a change. I will ask Alex Reeve [A dev] about that and report back.

-

On a side note, I do think the fact that Harbor Command weakens BT and mission 24 is a BT deck is more than worthy of mention in this guide.

Flag Post

One of the best raiders for this mission is shock grunt i think, 4 attack and self rally!

Flag Post

Forgot about Shock Grunt. With him and Sidoze as commander you can get away with one less rally structure. Updated the guide to include this info.

Flag Post

I just tried this on Mission 34 with a Bloodthirsty set-up. I can confirm that there actually is a siege in Mission 34’s deck.

Flag Post

the way i did was, mission 42 with Atlas, 4 Flags, 2 orbital Cannons, 2 acid pits, 1 Demolish and shock Grunt, many 1 hp units and 11 hp commander make it quit easy.

Flag Post

Seconded what Silvoz said… I had Malort as commander (mission 42 is raider so you get his strike) and blight crusher or ravager if you dont have that yet. Lots of low hp units which die fast, but he has one wall, which demolish took care off, easy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Eclipse_Angel:

My main problem with all suggested decks, is that I don’t have the cards. :\

@Brogsta – hell yes it does. If you haven’t reached the mission yet, don’t try to be a wiseguy about it.
For the achievement you’d still need to rally 5 times, though.

Also your an idiot, notice how I have a question mark because I dont remember how much hp it had. ive beaten all missions+side missions so kindly stfu

Flag Post

I just got it on Mission 30 with a Bloodthirsty set.
Malort
2 Orbital Strike
2 Sulfuris Acid Pit
3 Asylum
2 Demolish
1 Blight Crusher
Pretty much the same as other plans, play strike structures first. Malort also helps with strike raider, so he acts the same as Atlas while also having a rally. The enemy commander only has 10 health, so is easy to take out with all of the Asylums in place. The only catch is that the enemy has a wall with 7 health, which is why both Demolish need to be used to take it out whenever it crops up.