Need help with Halcyon's elite 4

40 posts

Flag Post

I checked out the only thread I can find on the subject, which suggested using either a rush with no less than 5 hatchets (I have 2), or using a raider strike deck with a leader you can only get from buying a Nexus Deck!

I’ve finished the regular missions through 66, the entire Raider side mission set, have a pretty good selection of cards, but nothing particularly repetetive on the gold side (have one or two of most gold cards).

I’ve tried to make a raider strike deck; it gets defeated by the strike ability of the commander, and typically by one of his high speed cards like irradiated infantry. Deck I tried is: Duncan, power generator, 2xAPC, Chronos, Omega, Missile Silo (only have one), Cannon Walker, Bulldozer, Hydra.

Tried a bloodthirsty deck (Dementia plus a couple hatchets, plus a couple assylums, mawcor, festerich, blight crusher, and 2xairstricke, one chaos wave, but the offensive stats can’t overcome his jam and weaken abilities before he can get his big cards active, and those have good siege abilities which tears down my structures.

Best luck (still fails too often) is with a xeno deck: Vyander, 2x Airstrike, Xeno Singularis, Daemon, Mind Controller, Rifter, Enclave Champ, Apex, Interceptor, Predator. When this works, it works overwhelmingly, but again, between the jam and weaken skills of the commander, I can’t seem to get over the hump most times.

so…

any suggestions?

thanks muchly.

Flag Post

I have something like a 90-95% win ratio (or at least it seems so) with the following:

Commander: Atlas

Daemon
EMP
Stealthy Niaq
Tiamat
Poseidon
Full Power
Cannon Walker
Pummeller
Predator
Omega

For what it’s worth, I only recently put in Pummeller in place of another Daemon. Bulldozer makes a decent replacement for that as well. I hope you find this helpful. At the very least, it works for me — I’ve been farming HE4 exclusively for gold and experience for days now.

Flag Post

Atlas. Wouldn’t have thought of that, but I think I’m so used to the empire commanders focusing on healing…

have all the rest of those cards but Pummeler.

thanks; It does give me new ideas to play with.

Flag Post

Oh, and also don’t have Niaq yet. don’t have the deck to be able to beat 66 in 9.

Flag Post

Cyclone Blitz also a poor man way to win~

duncan
cyclone x6
rally flag x2
command center x2

Flag Post

too short on command centers (1) and cyclones (3) have enough rally flags though. havoc fast enough to work as a replacement? what about using action cards to jam?

Flag Post

I would dearly love to just be able to experiment with different combos; it’s one of the things I really like about games like this – experimenting with various combinations and strategies… if only they didn’t have the accursed energy system.

…I’ll try out the jam session idea though. sounds like fun.

Flag Post

tried it:

got emp’d on 5th turn, wiped out entire force.

next.

:P

Flag Post

Duncan (or Atlas), daemon*2, poseiden, drac queen, tiamat, exodrone, dom hatchings, cannon walker, predator, sabre has worked for me 6/7 times-ish.

Flag Post

Sabre, Shapeshifter, 4 Brood walker, Tiamat, Bombardment Tanks, Predator, Omega

I had ~95% win ratio in halcyons 3 and 4.

Flag Post

I can pretty much do either of those two suggestions.

will keep posted (when energy returns :P).

cheers.

Flag Post

first up:

Blindearz.

Played poseidon first, taken out in turn two by his tiamat. his arcsoldier took out my second card, too far behind at the point to think I could pull out a win.

any suggestions as to card order to play would be welcome.

man, this is 5 straight losses now. Hell, mission 66 was a cakewalk in comparison!

Flag Post

@leothyr:

what commander were you using with that combo?

Flag Post

Duncan tiamatx1 chronosx1 aegisx1 emp x2 death from above x1 cannon walker x1 omega x1 orbital cannon x1 rifter x1

Always aim to get 3 damage consistently by turn 3, (turn 2 being opponent) and you’ll beat almost any deck

Playing poseidon on turn 1 is just plain dumb. It will almost always get killed before turn 7

Flag Post

Ok, using a half and half broodwalker hatchet combo (2 of each), 2 assylums, 2 airstrikes, a mawcor and a drac queen with Dementia got me a couple of wins.

progress!

:)

now to go twiddle my thumbs for an hour….

Flag Post

“Always aim to get 3 damage consistently by turn 3, (turn 2 being opponent) and you’ll beat almost any deck”

strangely, that’s the first time I’ve seen that general tip; sounds good, thanks.

Flag Post

insanely useful: missile silo. the guy kinda lacks siege. also evade. if you have a colossus it’s useful. your main problem is jam(ruins tiamat strategy). I’d reccomend bulldozer fury walkerx2 cannon walker, and an aegis. also don’t let too much rally build up. you’ll probly need a wall…command center does double duty by also blocking tactical infiltrator while countering it and rallying your raiders. Works for me most of the time.

Flag Post

“Always aim to get 3 damage consistently by turn 3, (turn 2 being opponent) and you’ll beat almost any deck”

…I’d also add:

Doesn’t the commander’s jam ability for HE 3 and 4 pretty much extend that to turn 5, at least for this series?

Flag Post

50% chance there’s no avoiding, its just a benchmark to aim for. Having 3 attack by turn 3 kills off almost any assault unit before they activate(about 80% of assault cards have a ratio of 3 health: 1 delay or less the rest being 0 delay cards not worth mentioning or are very good cards like omega, cannon walker or arc trooper)

Flag Post

yup, OK, I’ve got the deck that seems to work for me, thanks for all the suggestions!

Dementia, 2 x Airstrike, 3 x Broodwalker, 2 x Hatchet, 2 x Assylum, Mawcor.

starting off with hatchet, alternating with broodwalker and assylum after that, airstrike any card that has 4 or less immediately.

3 wins in a row, now very close to finishing.

thanks again.

Flag Post

“its just a benchmark to aim for”

righto; seems like a very sound strategy.

With that in mind, would you substitute, say, Malort for Dementia in order to give the hatchets 3 attack right at the start?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ichthyic:

Oh, and also don’t have Niaq yet. don’t have the deck to be able to beat 66 in 9.

you do. mawcor, asylumx3. on manual obviously. you basically need to get mawcor to flurry with rally without dying.

Flag Post

will two assylums and some action cards work?

Flag Post

no. you a) dont get enough damage b) need the rally. c) only get to play 1 card per turn.
turn 1. mawcor
turn 3. asylum 1. Mawcor 3
turn 5. asylum 1,0 mawcor 2
turn 7. asylum 1,0,0 mawcor 1
turn 9. asylum 0,0,0 mawcor 0. BOOM goes the dynamite.

It WILL fail multiple times since a) mawcor easily gets killed b) you draw 3 asylums to start c) mawcor doesnt flurry..

Im not sure if you can play full power on the last turn instead and still have enough damage though you can try.

Flag Post

will give it a try next time I pull another assylum.

:)