Ideas for new card abilities or traits

40 posts

Flag Post

Lately I’ve been thinking about new interesting abilities for cards in Tyrant to have. Just for fun I’ll tell you guys my Ideas and you can tell me what you think.

Ability Ideas:

Shockwave: Deals a certain number of damage to the assault cards left and right to the card that was attacked.
Right now the only way for an assault card to damage another assault card, other than through normal attacking, is through strike. This card trait would give somewhat of an alternative to strike

Bombard: Deals a certain amount of damage to the enemy commander per turn.
Now before you say this is op I think this ability would give a way for a structure based deck to be more usable, it would give a way for structures to be more offensive. I also think that a raid commander with the bombard ability could be interesting and challenging.

Protect: Works the same way as rally except it grants armor.
Probably an op idea but It think it would give a cool alternate form of support other than heal. This ability would also make pierce much more useful.

Sap: weakens a random enemy assault card for a certain number then boosts its own strength for that amount.
Similar to rally but requires an enemy card in play to work.

Assimilate:When the card with this ability attacks and destroys another card its attack is permanently increased, (probably only by one).
It’d be fun to see how high you could get the attack of a card with this ability.

Salvage: Every time an assault card dies, including your own, a card with this ability heals a certain amount. (maybe make it only a 50% chance of working?)
This would be a more passive alternative to leech.

Sacrifice: After the card’s waiting period is over it damages its respective commander for a certain amount.
So why the heck would anyone put a card like this in thier deck??? Well what if there was card that was as good as Titan but you only had to wait two turns for it? The extra price to pay for it would be 3 damage to your commander once it goes into play, so it could be worth it. Also This negative card trait, sacrifice, might make the crappy ability of siphon more useful. I also think the card trait “Backfire” as seen in Imperial Purger could be incorporated into player obtainable cards, that would also make siphon more useful.

Submerged: Works exactly like flying, except it’d be for submarines.
I’m not super serious about this one, I just think that submarine cards like, Barracuda, should be given some sort of trait to differentiate them from land units. How the heck is a soldier with a gun supposed to harm a submarine 800 feet under water? I think they should at least be given evade since subs are stealthy.

Sabotage/Disable: Randomly selects, once per turn, any one enemy card, including the commander, and makes it unable to use any of its activation abilities such as strike, heal, jam, mimic etc for one turn.
This ability would be a suitable counter to strike decks, which most offensive decks are. I really don’t think it should have only a 50% proc rate because the afflicted card can still attack, and If it did only have a 50% chance then it’d just be a really watered down version of jam.

Well there are my ideas, tell me what you think! Say if they’re too op, too unusable, or how they could be different or better. Also feel free to write your own ideas for new card traits. I wanna see what sort of interesting ideas the Tyrant community can come up.

Flag Post

Swap: Swapping abilities with adjacent enemy card

Flag Post

Splash: Excess damage is dealt to the enemy commander. (Hit a card that has 1hp with 5 attack, boom. 4 damage to the commander.)

Guard: Forces attacks to hit this unit instead. (On an armoured, regening or counter unit, this would be awesome)

Reflect: Causes abilities such as Siege, Weaken, Jam, etc. to reflect back onto the card that used it.

Also I like the sound of Bombard and Sabotage. Submerged would work too, apart from the lack of anti sea units.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Snozmonkey:

Lately I’ve been thinking about new interesting abilities for cards in Tyrant to have. Just for fun I’ll tell you guys my Ideas and you can tell me what you think.

Ability Ideas:

Shockwave: Deals a certain number of damage to the assault cards left and right to the card that was attacked.
Right now the only way for an assault card to damage another assault card, other than through normal attacking, is through strike. This card trait would give somewhat of an alternative to strike

Swipe, a new ability with the next expansion does this. Hopefully, counter works for each card attacked, else it might be a little broken.

Now before you say this is op I think this ability would give a way for a structure based deck to be more usable, it would give a way for structures to be more offensive. I also think that a raid commander with the bombard ability could be interesting and challenging.

No, it’s OP. structures SHOULDN’T be offensive in that respect. They are supportive.

Protect: Works the same way as rally except it grants armor.
Probably an op idea but It think it would give a cool alternate form of support other than heal. This ability would also make pierce much more useful.

Sap: weakens a random enemy assault card for a certain number then boosts its own strength for that amount.
Similar to rally but requires an enemy card in play to work.

Assimilate:When the card with this ability attacks and destroys another card its attack is permanently increased, (probably only by one).
It’d be fun to see how high you could get the attack of a card with this ability.

Salvage: Every time an assault card dies, including your own, a card with this ability heals a certain amount. (maybe make it only a 50% chance of working?)
This would be a more passive alternative to leech.

Sacrifice: After the card’s waiting period is over it damages its respective commander for a certain amount.
So why the heck would anyone put a card like this in thier deck??? Well what if there was card that was as good as Titan but you only had to wait two turns for it? The extra price to pay for it would be 3 damage to your commander once it goes into play, so it could be worth it. Also This negative card trait, sacrifice, might make the crappy ability of siphon more useful. I also think the card trait “Backfire” as seen in Imperial Purger could be incorporated into player obtainable cards, that would also make siphon more useful.

I’m not super serious about this one, I just think that submarine cards like, Barracuda, should be given some sort of trait to differentiate them from land units. How the heck is a soldier with a gun supposed to harm a submarine 800 feet under water? I think they should at least be given evade since subs are stealthy.

This is also something planned for the new expansion, called Naval.

Sabotage/Disable: Randomly selects, once per turn, any one enemy card, including the commander, and makes it unable to use any of its activation abilities such as strike, heal, jam, mimic etc for one turn.
This ability would be a suitable counter to strike decks, which most offensive decks are. I really don’t think it should have only a 50% proc rate because the afflicted card can still attack, and If it did only have a 50% chance then it’d just be a really watered down version of jam.

Actually, it’s the opposite of Immobilize, which is also a 50% proc rate.

Well there are my ideas, tell me what you think! Say if they’re too op, too unusable, or how they could be different or better. Also feel free to write your own ideas for new card traits. I wanna see what sort of interesting ideas the Tyrant community can come up.

Some of these are decent, and others are already being added.

Flag Post

I wouldn’t mind the ability to control where strikes and mimics go. That would also give a big advantage to non auto players. That would be one hell of an update tho, maybe a bit much.

Flag Post
Originally posted by phenolatukas:

Splash: Excess damage is dealt to the enemy commander. (Hit a card that has 1hp with 5 attack, boom. 4 damage to the commander.)

Guard: Forces attacks to hit this unit instead. (On an armoured, regening or counter unit, this would be awesome)

Reflect: Causes abilities such as Siege, Weaken, Jam, etc. to reflect back onto the card that used it.

Also I like the sound of Bombard and Sabotage. Submerged would work too, apart from the lack of anti sea units.

“Splash” is what I first thought Crush would when I first saw the ability,then I read what it really does.
“Guard is a cool idea kinda like an assault card version of a “wall” structure
“Reflect” would be way too op, unless it had a 50% proc rate, If it didn’t then u’d have invincible structures. Even if it did have a 50% proc it’d probably be op. Also, How is siege supposed to reflect back onto an assault card?

Now paladin181, thank you for the feedback. You are probably right about bombard, commander damaging should probably be left to “assault” cards. But what about a tank assualt card with bombard but has zero attack, would that not add an interesting new element to the strategy of this game? About Sabotage I was actually trying to say that it should NOT be a 50% proc activation, it should happen every turn no matter what. Now about Shockwave/Swipe and Submerged/Naval, that makes me glad that these ideas are already being put into the expansion. Where did you find this info on these new updates? Could you maybe post a link to it?

Flag Post

Reflect is also slated for the new expansion, called Payback, IIRC. It has a 50% proc, and in this regard is like mimic, but only if it’s hit with an activation skill (Jam, strike, etc)

Link for Blight expansion

Flag Post

Yeah, I got more.

Shuffle: Randomises the position of the opponent’s assault cards.

Swap: Switches the position of the card with another card on your side. (to your advantage)

Flag Post

Yeah, I got more.

Swap: Switches the position of the card with another card on your side. (to your advantage)

Neither of these sound useful.

Flag Post

XD how are a locust swarm able to take out huge aircrafs like nimbus and mothership

Flag Post
Originally posted by dragonspirit95:

XD how are a locust swarm able to take out huge aircrafs like nimbus and mothership

not impossible.. just clog up all the places where air and such is supposed to go through :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Crusader32:

Yeah, I got more.

Neither of these sound useful.

Shuffle can move pierce away from armoured, anti air away from flying, and move said units in front of you.

Swap would move defenceless units out of the way, and other units into a place where they would work the best.

Flag Post

Shuffle would be extremely useful. if you have a mothership coming out last on your side, shuffle can help. it can also move a draconian queen out of the way of a daemon.

Flag Post

Abilities have to be able to function when playing on auto. Shuffle is kinda useless when you cannot manually select the spot to switch to.

You could instead introduce an ability where an assault/structure card is put into play on the left of the row instead of the right.

Flag Post

What I think is even more ridiculous is the fact that Poseidon only has six health. It’s a freaking AIRCRAFT CARRIER those things are HUGE! Arc trooper, just one solider, has almost as much health as a 1,000 foot long boat! Realistically Poseidon should have like 30 health or more.

Flag Post

I’ve got a great idea. All activation skills should have another version but that you can click the target you would like to affect (if it matches the criteria i.e Heal raider 1) I think it would add great depth to the game and in auto play it would just be random as always so you can really make a def deck and a active deck with lots of differences.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dudewithabox:

I’ve got a great idea. All activation skills should have another version but that you can click the target you would like to affect (if it matches the criteria i.e Heal raider 1) I think it would add great depth to the game and in auto play it would just be random as always so you can really make a def deck and a active deck with lots of differences.

This game is so biased to the offense a donkey can win 95% of fights. I prefer the random factor regarding what your units target.

Eg. Evade will be not as effective when you choose which cards to strike. Structures will suffer badly to siege.

Flag Post

ok, another idea..

shield: reduces the damage recieved by strikes by a static amount of x

the reason is simple, strike is extremly dominant now, this would be an reliable alternative to evade.

Flag Post

Bomb x
When Card dies, it hits both commanders/or all cards for x.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WitcherRage:

Bomb x
When Card dies, it hits both commanders/or all cards for x.

So, a suicidal version of backfire (Imperial Purger Raid, GDR Core)?

Flag Post

What I think is even more ridiculous is the fact that Poseidon only has six health. It’s a freaking AIRCRAFT CARRIER those things are HUGE! Arc trooper, just one solider, has almost as much health as a 1,000 foot long boat! Realistically Poseidon should have like 30 health or more.

nah br0. Arc trooper = 10,000 men. Poseidon = 1 boat lulz

Flag Post

Bombard probably would be kind of OP if it was on a structure. It would make Siphon more useful, true, but that just means Siphon is necessary to balance it out and make it non-OP. It’s kind of like how Strike doesn’t really have a superior skill to counter it right now and can only be compensated for by skills like Evade, Mimic and the upcoming Payback. Those don’t serve to lower it down to the same level as other skills, just lower it from OP to top tier strategy. On the other hand, if Bombard was on a Unit, it would be very similar to Fear. Too similar to warrant adding a whole new skill IMO.

Sacrifice sounds like an interesting idea. It’s been suggested before that there could be an extremely powerful unit which costs health to stay in play. Would certainly effect an interesting change to the game dynamic.

Submerged would simply be redundant if it was “exactly like Flying, except for submarines”. There needs to be some other characteristic to differentiate it. What if it worked like “This card cannot be attacked while on CD”?

Sabotage is too similar to Jam IMO.

Now, some ideas of my own:
-Spawn X: at the end of every turn, this card creates a generic assault card of its own faction at the end of the lineup, with stats of X/1, CD X, and no skills.
-Teleport: this card moves to a different point in the card lineup at the beginning of each turn.
-Purify: Removes status effects such as Poison, Immobilize and Jam from a random allied target.
-Incapacitate: when this card damages but does not destroy an enemy assault card, return that card to the bottom of the opponent’s deck. The opponent may then play it again when it is drawn, and it will be treated like a completely new card.
-Cripple: reduce an enemy assault card’s max health.
-Stasis X: 50% chance to place an enemy assault card into stasis, rendering it unable to attack or use any abilities for X turns. However, it also cannot take damage from any source except Rift, and still serves as an obstacle against attacking the enemy commander directly.
-Rift X: deals X damage to any unit in Stasis.

Flag Post

courage x – attack cannot be lowered below x

last stand x – deal x damage to enemy commander upon death

shield x – 50% chance to block x damage from all sources

disarm x – 50% chance to disable a random enemy ability for x turns, dmg dependent

inspire – 50% chance to reduce a random allied wait by 1

blockade – 50% chance to increase a random enemy wait by 1

absorb x – 50% chance to turn x damage into heal

support x – 50% chance to deal x damage to attacker whenever an ally is attacked

cover x – 50% to reduce damage an ally takes by x

cleave – attack will also deal 50% damage to enemy assault cards adjacent to the primary target

berserk – attack doubles when below 50% health

confuse x – 50% chance of confusing the enemy into attacking their own commander for x dmg next turn, dmg dependent

charge – deals x bonus damage to opposing assault cards where x = the opposing card’s current wait

blitz x – deal x dmg on deployment to opposing assault card if opposing card’s current wait is 0

trample – overkill dmg is dealt to a random enemy assault card or enemy commander instead of being wasted

flanking – each turn, swap places with the allied assault card furthest to the right

focus fire x – 50% chance to deal x bonus damage on attack to the first enemy assault card

snipe x – 50% chance to deal x bonus damage on attack to the enemy assault card with least remaining hp, random if there are ties

Flag Post

Steal: similar to Mimic, but the card with stolen skills can perform them when it’s its turn.

Flag Post

My idea: Propaganda x – 50% chance to bring a random enemy assault card to your side to fight for you for x number of turns. The card, when on your side, acts as if it is one of your own (meaning you can heal, rally, do anything to it).

Obviously if the game ends with that card still on your side, you don’t get to keep it. This is great for bringing over a unique or legendary to boost your strength for a while, then finishing it off after it goes back (ultimate betrayal).