[SPOILERS] Tyrant Storyline summary

69 posts

Flag Post

I wrote this in another thread, and a bunch of people wanted me to put it in a new thread and get it stickied since they thought it was well-written. I personally didn’t think it was anything special, but whatever.

So, I’ll just leave this here. I’ll let the mods decide whether this is worthy of a sticky or not. If not, that’s perfectly fine with me.

STANDARD CAMPAIGN

War Metal: Tyrant takes place on the planet Acheron, where there is currently a war going on between the Empire and the Raiders. You are an Imperial commander following Lord Halcyon, the military leader of the Empire. The game starts out with you defending the Spire, a base in Ashrock, from the invading Raiders led by Typhon Vex. After driving him off you pursue him, and are assisted by Katana, who acts as your aide. However, things are complicated when the Bloodthirsty begin to attack, which has not happened for years.

Lord Halcyon reveals that Typhon is apparently attempting to get his hands on the Prometheus, an extremely powerful artifact that provides energy to half of Acheron. You then catch up to Typhon, but he tells you that you are too late to stop him from getting the Prometheus, and also implies that the Empire is responsible for creating the Bloodthirsty.

Typhon escapes to the Wasteland in the west, but you are unable to pursue him immediately, since you are attacked by more Bloodthirsty which have overrun the Swamps of Andar. Lord Halcyon orders you to pursue Typhon immediately, but Katana refuses to abandon people who are in need of help, and decides to head to the Swamps to search for survivors. Therefore, Lord Halcyon heads to the Wasteland while you and Katana strike at the Bloodthirsty.

In the Swamps of Andar, you discover survivors led by commander Octane. He tells you that things have become even more complicated as the Xeno faction known as the Enclave have begun to invade the area as well. He then heads west to join up with Lord Halcyon and warn him of the new development. You and Katana head toward the main Bloodthirsty nest, which for some reason, was formerly an Imperial base. Your forces then destroy the Brood Mother at the nest. With the Brood Mother dead, the Bloodthirsty infestation should presumably dissolve with time. With that done, you finally head west towards Lord Halcyon’s forces.

ENCLAVE CAMPAIGN

You arrive in the Red Sands desert, where you again meet Octane. He fills you in on the situation: things are now a total clusterfuck, with the Imperials, Raiders and the Enclave all fighting each other. Your primary mission then becomes to figure out the reason for the Xeno invasion, so you head toward a communications relay under Raider control to intercept their communications.

Upon decoding the communications, you discover that Vyander, the Enclave commander, is heading towards the Wasteland so that he can activated the Nexus there in order to open a portal that allows the Enclave to invade Acheron en masse. You pursue Vyander westward, and help to extricate Lord Halcyon’s forces which have become trapped between Typhon and the Enclave.

You first destroy the Xeno Mothership, preventing it from bombarding the area. With that threat taken care of for the moment you head towards the Nexus, where Typhon has surrounded Lord Halcyon’s line of defense. After destroying the Raider main guard, Typhon tells you that you haven’t successfully foiled his plans yet, and that he will use the Prometheus to destroy the Nexus…which will also destroy Acheron.

Fortunately, however, you defeat the remainder of Typhon’s forces before he can do so. Typhon then retreats to Kytos, the Raider homeland. For now, all the threats to the Empire have been eliminated.

NEXUS CAMPAIGN

You follow Lord Halcyon as a full-on invasion of Kytos is launched, in order to capture Typhon and bring him to justice. The initial landing is at the Kor Encampment, a settlement of the Raiders. Katana tells everyone to avoid attacking the civilians, but Lord Halcyon overrules her, instead ordering you to eliminate the local militia and search the villages for weapons, since they are supporters of Typhon.

Although Typhon is getting away, Lord Halcyon orders you to destroy all the raider settlements. Katana objects as the civilians are not at war with the Empire, and the mission is to capture Typhon, not to kill innocent people. Lord Halcyon, however, insists that as long as the Raiders exist as a people the Empire will not be safe, and that they must be crushed. Unwilling to stand by while a genocide is carried out, you and Katana defect in order to protect the civilians from Lord Halcyon’s forces.

You contact Yurich, the leader of the local military. He is unwilling to trust you initially, but accepts that you are not enemies after you successfully defend the encampment from the Imperial forces. He tells you that not all of the Raiders support Typhon Vex, but that they allow him to remain in power due to his leadership skills and his vision for the future of the Raiders. Yurich himself, however, only wishes for the war to end. Since the only way Lord Halcyon will stand down is if Typhon is captured, Yurich tells you he is heading to the Blightlands in the north, and that he will assist you if will head to peace.

You head north into Sufuris, which has been overrun by the Bloodthirsty from the Blightlands. During your battles here, you discover that Typhon is searching for some other ancient power source after his previous attempts were foiled. You then head into the Odeus Mines as that is the only way to reach the Blightlands. In the mines however, you discover the Enclave has been carrying out a mining operation for Neocyte, a powerful energy source which powers the Enclave’s technology. In other words, they’re planning something.

You finally break out of the mines and reach the Blightlands, the original home of the Bloodthirsty. Here, you fight through the endless Bloodthirsty hordes as well as Halcyon’s Imperial forces. You then discover that there is in fact a second Nexus located here. Typhon intends to activate this Nexus in order to gain enough power to destroy the Empire, regardless of the risk it holds. The last time a Nexus was activated during the storyline of the original War Metal game, it completely destroyed the Asphodel region…which is now called the Wasteland. If the Nexus is successfully activated without destroying everything, however, it will be able to power the entire continent and allow Typhon’s power to match the Empire’s.

You finally catch up with Typhon, but it is too late. The countdown has already been activated, and the Nexus opens, engulfing Kytos in a firestorm and unleashing the power that will enable Typhon to destroy the Empire once and for all.

BLIGHT CAMPAIGN

You and Katana wake up in Tartarus, a twisted dimension filled with Bloodthirsty creatures unlike any you have seen. The Nexus warped you here when it activated, but sent Yurich somewhere else. Due to the poisonous atmosphere your body is beginning to decay, which is attracting the Bloodthirsty to your position.

After defeating the Bloodthirsty, you encounter a group of Imperial soldiers led by Lucina. Katana comments on how this means Lord Halcyon is sending his own subordinates into almost certain death. Lucina then attacks you, believing you to be aiding Typhon. After defeating her forces, you manage to salvage the suits the Imperial soldiers were wearing, which protects you from the atmosphere. After this you are attacked by Raiders who believe you are responsible for Yurich’s death. After defeating them, you find a note left by Yurich, informing you that he is alive, but that he has found out something of importance and therefore must disappear for a while to do some independent investigation.

You fight through some more huge swarms of Bloodthirsty, delving deeper into Tartarus. You find Typhon along with his loyal subordinate Barracus, who holds you off while Typhon continues searching for some way to unlock more power from Tartarus. This, combined with the Bloodthirsty which have developed entirely new abilities due to Tartarus’ influence, hinder you as you attempt to follow Typhon.

The Bloodthirsty begin to surround you forcing you to continue on. You then arrive in the Tartarus Breeding Pits, where you have another confrontation with Lucina’s forces. In the Breeding Pits, you begin detecting some strange energy emanating from the depths. This is revealed to be the Tartarus Core, which Typhon intends to absorb the power from. Right before you can head into the Core however, Lucina battles you for one final time.

Katana then asks Lucina why she is still following Halcyon’s orders when he has become just as bad as Typhon, and says that regardless of the respective sides they are on, that the first priority should be to stop Typhon. Lucina grudgingly agrees to a temporary truce with you, but is still unwilling to work with you. Therefore, you split into two groups to take out Typhon in a two-pronged attack. You manage to fight through the hordes of Bloodthirsty and reach Typhon, but Lucina is pinned down, and she tells you to do whatever it takes to stop Typhon.

Katana states that it’s odd the Bloodthirsty are ignoring Typhon since absorbing the core’s energy may destroy them all. They are, however, still attempting to stop you. You arrive at the core after defeating the last of the Bloodthirsty, where Typhon is being engulfed by the glow emitted from it. Katana orders everyone to attack at once in order to stop him, but Typhon says that you are, once again, too late. The light then engulfs him along with all of you, ending things on a cliffhanger.

PURITY CAMPAIGN

You are roused by Katana, who says that you must stop Typhon, who has fused with the Tartarus Core and gained the powers of the Bloodthirsty. He now possesses the power to transform other creatures and machines into Bloodthirsty, and to make things worse this has now caused all the Tartarus Bloodthirsty to rally under him, defending him against your assaults. You then make a few more futile attempts to take down Typhon, to no avail. Suddenly, Yurich appears through a portal and bails you out.

Thanks to the portal, you are able to return to Acheron. Upon arrival, you are attacked by the Raider commander Cassandra who accuses Yurich of being a traitor, as he had gained her help by claiming that he was trying to rescue Typhon. After you repel her attack, Yurich explains that when he had arrived in Tartarus, he was unable to find you, but managed to find a portal back to Acheron. Due to Typhon’s shenanigans, the interdimensional boundary between Acheron and Tartarus has become dangerously unstable, and as a result the Blight has poured forth and covered Acheron, bringing with it the Tartarus Bloothirsty.

Yurich says that your current location is Triton Isle, the home of the Righteous faction who oppose the Bloodthirsty threat. He tells you that he must return to the Raiders before Cassandra can get to them and turn them against him, and departs. You are then greeted by Alaric, a member of the Righteous, who requests your help fighting the Bloodthirsty. Alaric says that although the Righteous are powerful, their power does not extend far past their home islands, and that the ritual must be completed first in order to truly turn the tide.

Katana inquires as to the nature of this ritual, and Alaric says that once the Pantheons have gained enough power, the Sentinel will be summoned to destroy the non-believers. In other words, the Righteous intend to wipe out the entire living population of Acheron. Katana says this is insane, but Alaric claims it is necessary to preserve the purity of the world and prevent Typhon’s victory. Unfortunately, Katana and you disagree, and thus you begin fighting against the Righteous as well.

(To be continued)

Flag Post

+1. One word: Epic.

Flag Post

An excellent summary, compiled neatly. Thank you, kind Zadier.

Flag Post

so typhoon will probably become god of the enlightened,

how about origins of xeno and bloodthirsty?

Flag Post

thx, I didn’t start paying attention to the story until it was too late so i couldnt understand what was going on :P

Flag Post

tl;dr

But, I guess some people might find it interesting, so I will add it under miscellaneous.

Flag Post

Nice story. However, there are some things that have yet to be answered… apart from what happened in the end.
-Was Lord Halcyon a traitor in the end? He certainly doesn’t seem that nice later on.
-How did the imperials create the bloodthirsty?
-Why did the bloodthirsty not attack Typhon in the end?
-Why do the devs want to continue it further? Cliffhanger before blight, cliffhanger now… I bet they’ll just use this as an excuse to add more twisted units in the game… Noticed that there are hardly any actual human soldiers? I know they have to have an excuse to make profit, but they could start a new storyline, as another character…

Flag Post

Killer, they will finish the typhon storyline later and most likely start new one too.Why? Because they said they will do multiple expansions in the future.

Flag Post

cool story bro

Flag Post

It’s interesting that the devs didn’t write up an official summary themselves. Even if they didn’t trust their own writing ability, writers aren’t that expensive to hire. Good of you to do it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by KILLERMA:

Nice story. However, there are some things that have yet to be answered… apart from what happened in the end.
-Was Lord Halcyon a traitor in the end? He certainly doesn’t seem that nice later on.
-How did the imperials create the bloodthirsty?
-Why did the bloodthirsty not attack Typhon in the end?
-Why do the devs want to continue it further? Cliffhanger before blight, cliffhanger now… I bet they’ll just use this as an excuse to add more twisted units in the game… Noticed that there are hardly any actual human soldiers? I know they have to have an excuse to make profit, but they could start a new storyline, as another character…

-Lord Halcyon wasn’t a “traitor” since he’s the one giving orders, so you are the ones who are classified as “traitors”. He is, however, not a nice guy, like you said. Are you traitors? Yes. Is that bad? No, because Lord Halcyon is a genocidal bastard and you should feel good about not following him.
-The Imperials may not have created the Bloodthirsty per se, not completely. The Bloodthirsty in Acheron seem to originate from the Blightlands, and it’s likely that the Imperials experimented with the Blight, probably as a possible biological weapon. This is probably why the Swamps of Andar Bloodthirsty nest was located in a former Imperial base.
-It is currently unknown why the Bloodthirsty do not attack Typhon in Tartarus. This may be revealed in later expansions.
-Leaving the storyline open allows for more expansions, more cards and stuff, etc. I seem to recall a post that actually said the next expansion will be called Enlighten and introduce a fifth faction, the Righteous. They already existed in Tyrant’s predecessor War Metal, but haven’t made an appearance here yet. The post that mentioned this also predicted the Blight expansion with 100% accuracy so I assume it’s also from the data extractions, which means it’s probably reliable.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NicolBolas:

so typhoon will probably become god of the enlightened,

how about origins of xeno and bloodthirsty?

ORIGINS OF THE BLOODTHIRSTY

To begin, there seem to be two separate subgroups of Bloodthirsty: the Acheron strain and the Tartarus strain.

The Acheron Bloodthirsty originate from the Blightlands in Kytos, and are apparently composed of local humans and wildlife which were infected by the Blight, an agent similar to a zombie plague that mutates them into Bloodthirsty. This can be seen in their appearances, which are all very much reminiscent of their forms before being turned into Bloodthirsty. The Blight does not solely affect living creatures either. It contaminates and transforms the very land where it spreads, covering it in a sprawling series of veins, cocoons and polyps.

The Tartarus Bloodthirsty, on the other hand, look much more alien in nature, suggesting a divergence between the the two groups of Bloodthirsty. Since the Blightlands are connected to Tartarus by the Kytos Nexus, it’s not too farfetched to surmise that at some point, Bloodthirsty passed into Acheron from Tartarus or vice versa. Once this happened, the two Blight strains followed divergent paths of evolution. If this is true, however, then the question becomes which strain existed first. The fact that the Tartarus strain appears to be less human suggests that it is the original. However, the fact that Acheron Bloodthirsty develop new traits when in Tartarus suggests the opposite. Perhaps the origin of the Blight is a different place altogether, and Acheron and Tartarus only show different ways that the Blight adapted itself to two vastly different areas.

THE XENOS

Regarding the Xenos, there is very little information. However, we do know a few things about them. The standard Xeno outfit consists of black body armor and a white facemask of varying shape. This means that we have never seen a Xeno’s true appearance. Xeno technology relies on a powerful energy source, a mineral called Neocyte. Additionally, the Xenos have a habit of adapting their opponents’ technology for their own use if it proves to be capable.

The main group of Xenos that we have encountered is called the Enclave. It is unknown if there are in fact other factions of Xenos at the moment. The Enclave’s leaders which we have encountered are Vyander, the leader of the main Xeno forces, and Krellus, the one who coordinated the Enclave’s entire invasion of Acheron.

Flag Post

Very well done. I had absolutely no interest in the storyline or background of the game until reading this. If the devs don’t feel like writing something up it’d be great if they just gave someone like you some notes to write up a history and understandable storyline.

Flag Post

Cheers been looking for somthing like this since i first started playing the game very well done

Flag Post

This was cool. Games like these, it’s always hard for me to follow the storyline since I’m focusing on strategy. My the time I get to a point in the game where I say ‘well, why the hell am I doing this?!?!’ I’ve missed way too much to understand.

This has been an interesting read and a big help. Thanks!

Flag Post

bump for sticky

Flag Post
Originally posted by Crusader32:

bump for sticky

Why stick it? This isn’t important… just interesting

Flag Post

Because what’s the point in a huge game with missions if you cant even make sense of it.. I think a lot of people would read it (and find that it wasn’t a waste of time) if it was stickied.

Flag Post

Very well written – I agree this should be stickied. It contains basic information on the game that is not otherwise attainable. For many people the story is just as important as the actual gameplay. Additionally there is a bug in the game where the buttons hide some of the mission storyline text so you can’t read the last few lines in some missions – I found it very frustrating personally.

Thank you for creating and posting this.

Flag Post

Now I’m actually quite lazy, and since you’ve already done a summary, I’m wondering if maybe you (or anyone who’d bother) could maybe post something like the entire storyline. I mean something like copying everything said in between missions and having it available in one place, kind of like a script since it’s already written name: line.

Thanks for the summary, I found it hard to follow while actually ingame since it sometimes took more than a day to beat a mission due to having to grind for gold for more packs just to get a decent deck and by then I forget what happened earlier.

Flag Post

Most of the game script is found along with the corresponding mission data on the War Metal Wiki.

http://warmetal.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrant_Missions

Flag Post

This is nice considering that Nexus’ and Blight’s final words are blocked by the OK key.

Flag Post
Originally posted by baronohm:

This is nice considering that Nexus’ and Blight’s final words are blocked by the OK key.

indeed ^^

Flag Post

This deserves a bump. Partly for a sticky, partly because I believe we have some new information. Gore Typhon – it would seem that Typhon is now, in some part, a Bloodthirsty himself? With the power to make that around him Bloodthirsty too?
Just a thought.

Flag Post

Thx for the bump, saw this thread for the first time now, great summary!

Maybe someone wants to copy+paste all the original texts (from wiki) in one post here? This would be convenient, and one could argue better about certain statements.