Azure Reapers: Need balancing?

111 posts

Flag Post

Since their introduction, Azure Reapers have become increasingly-popular in top faction defense and offense. They can shut down strike decks, while also giving slowrolls a run for their money, especially slowrolls carrying aegis and bolides or anything else with powerful activation abilities.

Looking at azure reapers, they boast respectable stats for their delay (3/5, 3 delay), and combined with flying, would make an OK card on that alone. Give them evade, and they become the most powerful evade card in terms of base stats compared to delay. And then you give them mimic, and they have the potential to absolutely terrorize certain deck types and cards, making bolide walkers and other cards with powerful activation abilities much less present on both offense and defense. There’s even a renewed search for good AA cards to combat their flying threat (along with sustainer xolan), but there aren’t a whole lot of good options for AA aside from posidon, cannon walker (which becomes useless if reapers are paired with dracorax), jet fighter, and the increasingly-popular gun raven (edit: there’s daemon too, which is the only realistic counter to reapers currently). 3 of these are unique though, while reapers can be brought in whatever number they’re desired.

tldr: I think they need to be nerfed, despite the fact that I love using them. My vote goes for subtracting 1 hp, making them 3/4 with 3 delay. That would make them one-hit kills for 3 of the above AA cards without weaken, and 1 hit cards for gun ravens with weaken. It would also let pummelers 1-hit them without weaken if ‘flying’ doesn’t kick in, silos to 1 hit them if they don’t evade, etc. They’d still be very popular on offense and defense, but at least they’d get out of god-tier range. Thoughts?

Also, if you have a different idea for a nerf, feel free to share.

Flag Post

Well thought through, sensible change suggested.

Yeah, +1 from me

Flag Post

No. Just no.

A better and more interesting change would be some fast flying or AA cards. (ones similar to predator but a little worse I guess, to keep predator an outstanding card)

Flag Post

Oh sure, the day after I unlock them call for a nerf by all means :P

If you nerf them down to 4 health then you would also have to nerf colossus down to 4 health in my opinion. There are a handful of cards that dominate the meta.

Flag Post

who cares…. your top1, you can be harmed, but can’t harm no one.

like pescado said, you have no effect on the game, so you troll forums instead

Flag Post
Originally posted by NicolBolas:

+1 yes that’s what we are doing. umadbro? :D

Flag Post

When a card is overrepresented to the extent Azure reaper is, you know something’s amiss.

Flag Post

No. Many cards should be nerfed if this would be done, making the game easier and less challenging.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Crusader32:

No. Just no.

Excellent counter-argument. Nerfing an OP card is an easier solution than adding several new cards, though I do agree this game needs more quick AA, same as it could use more pierce with avoid or >4 hp.

Originally posted by NicolBolas:

Too bad your faction is so far down the list, we’d love to harm you. I’m not asking anyone to care because of who I am or what faction I’m in, I just consider Azure Reapers to be quite OP for non-uniques.

Originally posted by tezkalowl:

No. Many cards should be nerfed if this would be done, making the game easier and less challenging.

This card is still somewhat-new. It doesn’t make the game easier if it’s weakened, as playing it on offense makes the game quite easy. :P

Flag Post

They’re not really OP, they are just OP vs “multipurpose” and “strikerush” kind of decks. Decks that have no/little activation skills (e.g. pummeler spam) will pwn Azures

Flag Post

I disagree personally. I’ve never seen any long term good come out of nerfing as a general rule of thumb. I also think that we should focus on making more viable cards with AA available for use. Call it my humble opinion

Flag Post
Originally posted by Crusader32:

They’re not really OP, they are just OP vs “multipurpose” and “strikerush” kind of decks. Decks that have no/little activation skills (e.g. pummeler spam) will pwn Azures

No they don’t, unless they’re backed by a lot of blood pools. Statistically, in a 1v1, a reaper will kick a pummeler’s ass if it’s played first, and has a great chance if played second (75%).

Flag Post
Originally posted by AgentKay:

I disagree personally. I’ve never seen any long term good come out of nerfing as a general rule of thumb. I also think that we should focus on making more viable cards with AA available for use. Call it my humble opinion

I WOULD agree with you, but…

Mind Controllers used to have 6 health.
Imagine!

Flag Post

Irradiated Infantry is spammed, sometimes even 10. Don’t see topic to nerf them. Tridents are spammed and make life of many players miserable. Lets nerf them too! Colossus is so OP with evade and counter, it completely owns strike weenie decks. I vote nerf! Pummellers combined with Dracorex are hard to kill and hit hard. Clearly OP.

3/4 flier with delay 3 is unplayable no matter what abilities it has (ok, mimic, evade AND armour 2 would make it playable).

So, like Crusader said:

No. Just no.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Averam:

If you nerf them down to 4 health then you would also have to nerf colossus down to 4 health

Flag Post
Originally posted by Shadowhopeful:
Originally posted by Averam:

If you nerf them down to 4 health then you would also have to nerf colossus down to 4 health

xeno + 1 extra attack + flying + mimic – 15k gold > raider + counter 2 – 25 WB. I wouldn’t mind seeing colossi nerfed either, but I don’t consider them to be as important. Plenty of people consider them to be OP or very important though.

Flag Post

II and Trident spams are both easy to beat using almost any well balanced offense deck. Far easier than properly designed defense decks.

Flag Post

Totally agreed…. With everything, including the suggested modification, well said.

Flag Post

I personally don’t have much of a problem with the current Reaper stats. A 3/4/3 is a pretty long delay for its level of survivability. If anything needs to be nerfed on them, I would change the Mimic to race-specific. Or maybe get rid of it all together. But I wouldn’t nerf its health.

Flag Post
Originally posted by munchtime:

I personally don’t have much of a problem with the current Reaper stats. A 3/4/3 is a pretty long delay for its level of survivability. If anything needs to be nerfed on them, I would change the Mimic to race-specific. Or maybe get rid of it all together. But I wouldn’t nerf its health.

It has 50% chance to avoid strikes and other negative effects, and 50% chance to avoid ground attacks. Combined with such a big health pool and such potent power when active, it currently has no weakness. It would do just fine as a 3/4 3, as a sort of big-brother to vaporwing (also 25wb), but with mimic instead of armor 2.

I’ve also thought about modifying or removing its mimic, but it’s kind of nice to have a playable mimic card with good survivability. That’s also an option to consider though, imo.

Flag Post

Azure Reapers are easy to beat too: use Manta and Absorption Shield for healing. Just because you consider it worse than Aegis doesn’t make it so, as proven by Azure Reapers. Or Predator for fast attack.
II and Tridents are problems for much more people (general population) than Azure Reapers (players relying too much on strong activations).
Instead of nerfing particular cards how about my idea of limiting number of copies of any non-unique card to 3? If you can’t beat deck with 3 Azures then maybe you should rethink your strategy?
What really needs nerf is Evade and Mimic. Right now former protects from 5 different skills, while latter can copy 7. With each expansion those numbers will go up.

Flag Post

It having not much weakness is not really the card’s fault… It’s more of the lack of certain card types fault. Because a LoT hatchet (+asylum) for example does beat it easily but the problem is that there are very few card combinations that work well. The game needs some non-activation skill hard counters to it, rather than nerfing stuff, to then make certain deck-types completely useless. Changing Azure Reaper would make it about as useful as Mawcor.

EDIT: and on top of that, nerfing this, would take away one of the most powerful and useful card that non-paying players can get.

Flag Post

There will always be slightly OP cards in any game, and Tyrant has an elegant solution to keep them from becoming overwhelming: the “unique” tag. In my opinion, making this sort of cards unique makes the game more fun: there is still a sense of awe when you finally get it, and there is more variety/uncertainty when facing an unknown opponent if spam decks are less powerful. But I would not mind the proposed nerf as well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Seizan_7:

Azure Reapers are easy to beat too: use Manta and Absorption Shield for healing. Just because you consider it worse than Aegis doesn’t make it so, as proven by Azure Reapers. Or Predator for fast attack.
II and Tridents are problems for much more people (general population) than Azure Reapers (players relying too much on strong activations).
Instead of nerfing particular cards how about my idea of limiting number of copies of any non-unique card to 3? If you can’t beat deck with 3 Azures then maybe you should rethink your strategy?
What really needs nerf is Evade and Mimic. Right now former protects from 5 different skills, while latter can copy 7. With each expansion those numbers will go up.

Manta and absorption shield? I agree abs shield is a nice card, but one should bring 2 unpopular promo cards just to fight reapers?

Predator’s cool, I also kind of wasn’t thinking of him at the time of the post. He’s another unique though, and can still lose in a 1v1 against a reaper/dracorax with some bad luck.

Flag Post

take 100 grams of the left wing and remodle the aerodynmics then you will have a spiral suicide bomber this will make it even more imbalenced but unusfull enough not to complain about