New Defensive Deck Guide

38 posts

Flag Post

Note: This is a work in progress. Thanks to everyone for the constructive comments. I promise I will return and edit the document. One thing to keep in mind, especially with the sample decks, is that this guide is designed particularly for players levels 10-25 who likely do not have access to every card (or any cards in Nexus and Blight packs). This grows out of my experience in a low level faction (level 3) working with recruits to develop defensive decks.

Intro

If you are reading this guide, then my guess is that you recently joined a faction and are looking to construct a defense deck. This guide is indebted to Blockinlick's popular defensive post over on the Kongregate forums. I felt the need to write this for two reasons: first, Blockinlick's post came out before "the great change," and second, he considers defense decks as purely end-game.

The criticisms following the recent change demonstrate that many low-level players (those under level 20) are engaged in faction wars. So, one reason for this guide is to help them think about what cards they have and show them for what cards they need to work. Because I am targeting newer players, I have left out many cards from the Nexus and Blight set.

Another reason for this guide is to help my own faction, I Like Cookies, develop a comprehensive, team strategy. Ideally, a 30 person faction would want to run a diverse group of defensive decks.

I expect that advanced readers will be familiar with Blockinlick's post. But you don't need to be to use this faq. In his post, Blockinlick identifies 6 primary elements for defensive decks: strike, counter, stall (weaken), shield (which I will call regen), control (jam/immobilize), and 1-drop-stop. I'll break strike up into big and small and I add a few new categories based on the current meta-game (I spend much more time dealing with evade and regeneration, given the current dominance of strike-based decks).

I'll stick with Blockinlick's general strategy for defense decks: a good defense deck will focus on having 4-5 cards from two of the different elements below. Also, a good defense deck will probably not use more than one or two action cards (since the computer has a tendency to throw these at in opportune times, essentially giving away a battle). By mixing the elements below, a faction can start to showcase a variety of decks capable of stopping many different offensive archetypes (such as Bloodthirsty rush, II rush, strike removal, BFU heal etc).

Big Strike

Big strike cards are cards that do 3 or more strike damage (w/ the exception of Boldie). With the exception of the action card "air strike" these cards have longer wait times, so part of your strategy has to involve keeping them alive, whether with weaken, healing, or meat shields.

Suitable Commanders: Atlas, Dalia, Draco

• Air Strike | Standard Rare | Action Card
  • Missile Silo | Standard Rare | Structure
  • Tesla Cannon | Enclave Rare | Structure
  • Westering Wasteland | Elite Vault Only | Structure | 3 wait, 6 health wall, evade, strike 2
  • Chronos | Standard Rare | Raider | 3 wait, 3/5, Strike 3
  • Titan | Arena Reward 15k | Imperial | 4 wait, 4/8, Strike 3, Siege 3
  • Boldie Walker | Reputation reward 8k | 4 wait, 0/7, Strike all 2, Siege all 2

Small Strike

Another way to go out removal is with smaller, faster strikes. As Blockinlick indicates, these cards work very well with counter (while big strike works well with weaken, healing, meat shield, or heavy armor). They can also work with fear.

While small strike can work with any commander, it works best with altas.

• Tiamat | Standard Rare | Imperial | 1 wait, 1/3, flying, strike 2, unique
  • Predator | Reward for Xeno Invasion missions | Xeno | 1 wait, 2/3, strike 1, anti-air, unique
  • EMP | Standard Rare | Action Card
  • Hunter | Reward for finishing 1000 missions | Raider | 1 wait, 3/1, strike 1; given its one health, this is not a terribly useful card
  • Mech Walker | Bonus for joining elite | 2 wait, 2/3, armored 2, strike 1
  • Gatling Tower | Siege on Kor raid reward, 12k | Structure | strike 1, weaken 1, jam 1
  • Rifter | Typhon's Conquerer Achievement Reward | Xeno | 3 wait, 3/5, flying, Xeno, strike all 1, poison 1, unique; a card that can help many defense decks
  • Brood Walker | Reward for mission 22, Standard Uncommon | Bloodthirsty | 2 wait, rally all bloodthristy, strike all imperials; this card is only for bloodthirsty decks aimed at taking down Freddie decks.

Counter / Wither

While the more advanced of these cards are beyond the reach of lower level players, you can still draw upon the element with some lesser cards. These work especially well in conjunction with weaken or small strike.

• Dozer Tank | Reward for 5000 arena victories | Raider | Also a regen. For me, this is, without equivocation, the best card in War Metal. It is also the biggest, most monotonous, pain-in-the-butt to earn. It takes finding an empty deck in the arena and grinding for 10 hours. I blame no one if they don't want to do it. But if you do, then this card will win you many battles all by itself.
  • Trident | Level 4 Faction reward, 7500k | Imperial 2 wait, 3/4, counter 2
  • Mind Controller | Enclave Uncommon | Xeno | 4 wait, 1/4, counter 3, mimic; along with Pheonix and Cannon Walker, these are pretty much the main reason to buy Enclave packs (or not if you don't want to play Xeno)
  • Command Center | Standard Rare | counter 1, wait 3, rally all raider 2
  • Ixendrone | Siege on Kor raid reward, 12k | 1 wait, counter 1, siege 1Only a counter one, but sieges, 1-stop drops
  • Colossus | Nexus packs and Elite Vault | Raider | 3 wait 2/5, evade, counter 2; a good thing to spend war bonds on

Cheap Counter Wither

While not as effective as the cards above, these guys can still do the job, especially if paired with strike or weaken.

• Exodrone | Imperial Traitors reward | Imperial | 2 wait, 2/5, flying, counter 2, unique; I only list this card in "cheap" because it is easy to get. It is a very solid card in a counter/wither themed deck.
  • Sand Crawler | Win 1000 arena battles, gold packs | Raider | 4 wait, 4/4 counter 2, weaken all 2
  • Neocyte Guard | Standard Common | Raider | 4 wait, 3/3, counter 3
  • Locust Swarm | Standard Uncommon | Bloodthirsty | wait 2, 1/3, counter 2, weaken 1
  • Hydroblade | Mission 50 reward [x2] | Raider | wait 1, 1/3 counter 1, anti-air 1; a nice, cheap anti-hatchet/tiamat card
  • Chimera | Mission 36 reward, Standard Uncommon | Xeno | 4 wait, 3/3 counter 2, jam

Siege

One of the biggest changes to the new meta is the amount of offensive structure decks. Every faction benefits from having one anti-structure deck.

Siege can use two different commanders--Duncan (w/raiders) and the Invasion Coordinator (Xeno). Siege can also be incorporated to any strike or rush defense.

• Omega | Standard Rare | Raider | 1 wait, 1/5, strike 1, siege 1, weaken 1; this card fits in many defense decks--a jack of all trades and master of none
  • Cannon Walker | Enclave Rare, mission 40 reward | 1 wait, 1/5, siege 2, anti-air 3; the ultimate hatchet/tiamat devourer
  • Mortar Bunker | Mission 73 reward, blight packs | 1 wait, 3 health, siege 1, rally 2; another strong card for many decks
  • Pummeller | Purge reputation reward, 12k | Bloodthirsty | 4 wait, 4/7 evade, siege 2
  • Titan | Arena Reward, 15k | Imperial | 4 wait, 3/8, strike 3, siege 3, unique
  • Boldie Walker | Reputation reward, 8k | Raider | 4 wait, 0/7, strike all 2, siege all 2, 4 wait, 7 health
  • Poseidon | Nexus Conquerer Achievement reward | Imperial | 3 wait, 2/6, heal all 1, anti-air 2, siege 2
  • Pathrazer | Outriders reputation, 12k(?) | Xeno | 2 wait, 3/3, siege 2 fear
  • Carrion Retriever | Oluth raid reward, 15k | Bloodthirsty | 3 wait, 3/5, regenerate 2, siege 2
  • Enclave Champion | Standard Rare | Xeno | Heal all xeno 1
  • Hydra | Standard Rare | Raider | wait 2, 2/2 armored 2, anti-air 2, siege 2; emp fodder
  • Lodestar | Elite vault only | Raider | 1 wait, 2/3 flyer, siege 2Also one-stop and raider; unortunately difficult to get
  • Ixendrone | Siege on Kor raid reward, 12k | Xeno | 1 wait, 2/3, counter 1, siege 1

Cheap Siege

<table>
  • Pelican | Mission 13 reward Standard Uncommon | Raider | 2 wait, 1/6, flying, siege 2
  • Aquabat | Mission 23, Standard Uncommon | Imperial | 2 wait, 2/4, siege 3
  • Marine | Reputation with Arctic Vanguard | Imperial | 3 wait, 4/3, siege 3 Imperial
  • Muon Walker | Mission 46 reward x2, nexus common | Imperial | wait 3, 3/3 siege, evade
  • Cypher | Reputation with Tartarus Pact | Xeno | 2 wait, 2/2, siege 1, regenerate 1

• Evade and Regen [Card Advantage]

One thing I would stress since Blockinlick's guide is the amount of offensive strike decks. He mentions in his discussion of strike decks how they can be countered with high health cards; they can also be pwn'd with regenerating and evading cards.

Evading and regenerating cards typically work with any commander.

Regenerate

• Dozer Tank | Reward for 5000 arena victories | Raider | Also a regen. For me, this is, without equivocation, the best card in War Metal. It is also the biggest, most monotonous, pain-in-the-butt to earn. It takes finding an empty deck in the arena and grinding for 10 hours. I blame no one if they don't want to do it. But if you do, then this card will win you many battles all by itself.
    • Phoenix | Enclave Rare | Xeno | 3 wait, 2/6, flying, regenerate; this card is a reason to buy Enclave packs; decks mixing phoenix and mind controller with some rally can be very hard to beat
    • Carrion Retriever | Oluth raid reward, 15k | Bloodthirsty | 3 wait, 3/5, regenerate 2, siege 2
    • Abolisher | Enclave Rare | Xeno | 1 wait, 1/3, regenerate 3, mimic raider; with luck one of these things can stall a strike deck for several turns, another reason to invest in enclave packs
    • Diesel | Elite vault only | Bloodthirsy | 4 wait, 2/6, regenerate, flurry 2; this card is also worth spending war bonds since with luck it can single-handledly defeat an opponent
    • Ravenous Beast | Elite vault only | Raider | 3 wait, 2/3, regenerate 2, rally all raider 1; probably more fun than effective, save your war bonds for better cards

Cheap Regeneration

Unlike with cheap siege and evade, I am hesitant to recommend any cheap regeneration--but there might be decks that make use of these lightweights.

• Spectre | Mission 32 reward, Enclave common | Xeno | 2 wait, 2/1, regenerate, fear
    • Revolver | Mission 33 reward x2, Enclave uncommon | Imperial | 3 wait, 2/4, regenerate 2, strike xeno 2
    • Cypher | Reputation with Tartarus Pact | Xeno | 2 wait, 2/2, siege 1, regenerate 1
    • Glaive | Enclave common | Xeno | 0 wait, 1/1 counter 1, regenerate 1
    • Xeno Forcefield | Enclave uncommon | Structure | 0 wait, 3 health, regenerate 3

Evade

• Bulldozer | Raiders Unite Achievement Reward | Raider | 3 wait, 0/8, evade, rally raider 3; this is probably the second best all-around defense card in the game after the dozer tank. The evade/rally combo means that this card seriously messes with weaken/strike decks. And its only a three wait for a 3/8 [assuming it rallies itself] creature.
    • Colossus | Nexus packs and Elite Vault | Raider | 3 wait 2/5, evade, counter 2; a good thing to spend war bonds on
    • Burrower | Reward for Displaced Raiders side missions | Raider | 2 wait, 1/5, evade, enfeeble 2
    • Azure Reaper | Enclave Flagship raid, 15k | Xeno | 3 wait, 3/5, flying, evade, mimic
    • Sky Watcher | Purge reputation, 2.5k | Xeno | 2 wait, 1/6, evade, anti-air 2; this is one of the best, cheap defensive cards available. Anyone new to faction wars should unlock this card and buy 3-4 until earning better cards.

Cheap Evade

• Enclave Remnant | Mission 59 reward, Nexus uncommon | Xeno | 3 wait, 5/3, flying, evade
    • Muon Walker | Mission 46 reward x2, nexus common | Imperial | wait 3, 3/3 siege, evade
    • Blight Crusher | Mission 62 reward, Blight Uncommon | Bloodthirsy | 3 wait, 2/4, evade, crush 2, rally bloodthirst 2; an underrated pvp card given its combined talents.
    • APC | Mission 51 reward | Raider | 3 wait, 1/4, evade, armored 1, strike imperial 1; there is no reason to play this card unless you are building a strictly anti-Freddie deck.

Weaken

Weaken pairs well with big strike removal or with heavy armor.

Dalia and Draco are the weaken commanders.

<table>
  • Blood Wall | Arena Reward (2.5k each) | Structure | 2 wait, weaken all 1; two of with draco make for a very stable foundation for a weaken deck--these are pretty much essential if you want to use this element.
  • Blood Pool | Standard Rare | Structure | 3 wait, weaken 2, heal all bloodthristy 2; my experience is that this card is too slow to help out, but it might help a bloodthirsty / meat shield deck w/ Pummellers
  • Nimbus | Standard Rare [Legendary] | Imperial | 3 wait, 2/6, flyer, weaken all 1, jam; generally weaken decks rely on structures, in some cases nimbus will simply be missile silo fodder if he's the only creature
  • Gatling Tower | Siege on Kor raid reward, 12k | Structure | 2 wait, 5 health, strike 1, jam, weaken 1

• Cheap Weaken

<table>
  • Sand Crawler | Win 1000 arena battles, gold packs | Raider | 4 wait, 4/4 counter 2, weaken all 2; given this cards low health (4) and high wait (4), I don't consider it a weaken card--although it can potentially add an element of healing to a raider wither/healing deck.
  • Locust Swarm | Standard Uncommon | Bloodthirsty | 2 wait, 1/3, counter 2, weaken 1
  • Enfeebler | Standard Common | Xeno | 1 wait, 2/3, weaken 1
  • Moloch | Reputation with Blood Shield, 150 gold | Bloodthirsty | 1 wait, 1/3, weaken 1, heal 1, weaken 1; given its availability and cost, this is an undervalued card for low level players

• Meat Shield

Quality cards with high health. Given how much strike is out there these days, these cards can swing card advantage (even if they don't get to activate). You can also look at some of the cards with evade (especially pummellers) for this category. Note that in high healing decks, boldie walkers make high risk/high reward meat shields (4 wait and 7 health is tough to keep around...)

Another category of meat shield is any card with more than 6 health. These cards, especially if combined with healing, can eat up enemy missile strikes and air strikes. A good possibility for new players is to build a deck entirely of cards with 6 health (and preferably with lower wait times, like Sky Watcher, Pelican, ). <table>

• Bulldozer | Raiders Unite Achievement Reward | Raider | 3 wait, 0/8, evade, rally raider 3; this is probably the second best all-around defense card in the game after the dozer tank. The evade/rally combo means that this card seriously messes with weaken/strike decks. And its only a three wait for a 3/8 [assuming it rallies itself] creature.
  • Kraken | Arena Reward, 15k | Xeno | 3/11, jam
  • Gun Raven | Homeland Defenders side mission Reward | Raiders | 2/10, anti-air 3, immobilize
  • Rumbler | Corrupted Forces side mission reward | Imperial | 2/9, rally all 1
  • Trap Setter | Enclave common | Imperial | 4 wait, 1/9, weaken 1; only notable because few cards have health over 8.
  • Immortal | Limited Support Achievement Reward | 4 wait, 4/8, Imperial; you are scratching the bottom of the meat shield barrel, but this card could work in certain builds.
  • Nightstalker | Standard Uncommon | 3 wait, 4/6, Raider; again, not a great choice. But a Raider deck could use a few of these as meat shields to soak up missiles and air strikes.
  • Monstrosity | Mission 34 reward; enclave uncommon | Xeno } 3 wait, 3/7; the xeno verions of a Nightstalker
  • Heavy Armor

Armor elements are fodder for strike decks--but they are very effective against rush decks (especially II). I don't think it hurts a faction to have one player using a heavy armor/weaken deck. True heavy armors will have an armor of at least 2.

• Fortifier | Reward for Halcyon's Elite missions | Imperial | 3 wait, armored 2, pierce 2, flurry 2; flurrry can change a game quickly, unlike Mawcor this card can survive until activation. With any healing, this card single-handedly stops any II rush.
    • Pyro Rig | Reputation with the Protectorate | Raider | 4 wait, 4/4 armored 3, jam and immobilize
    • Cycle Mech | Reputation with New Order | Raider | 1 wait, 1/3, armored 2, valor 2 [valor works well with structure decks--either big strike, wall wither, or weaken]
    • Mech Walker | Reward for joining elite | Raider | 2 wait, 2/3, strike 1, armored 1, unique; only an armor of one, but it adds strike.
    • Obsidian | Arena reward, 15k | Raider | 3 wait, 1/2, strike 2, weaken all 1, emp fodder; this card is just to soft to be useful, save your gold.
    • Auger Tank | Elite vault only | Imperial | 2 wait, 1/3, armored 2, rally imperial 2; not a bad card, useful against weaken decks and in imperial decks; if you don't run imperials use your war bonds elsewhere (like on Diesel, Dracorex, or Colossus)
    • Aegis | Conquerer achievement reward, standard rare | Imperial | 3 wait, 1/4, heal all 2, armored 1; although a bit squishy for this list, an armored/heal combo is very tough for some decks to beat.
    • Toxic Cannon | Ouluth Raid Reward | Raider | 3 wait, 3/3, armored 2, poison 2
    • Hydra | Standard Rare | Raider | 2 wait, 2/2, armored 2, siege 2, anti-air 2; emp fodder
    • Anvil | Reward for Speedy Wasteland Achievement | Raider | 3 wait, 3/3, armored 2, crush 2

Poison

Of course, there's still the old fashioned Irradiated Infantry deck.

If you are doing straight II, then use Thadius. Otherwise, Atlas, Dalia, or even Dracorex can work.

• Irradiated Infantry | Reputation with Purge (cheap! 250 gold each) | Imperial | 1 wait, 2/3, poison 1
    • Bio Drone | Mission 81 reward | Xeno | 3 wait, 1/6, poison
    • Rifter | Typhon's Conquerer Achievement Reward | Xeno | 3 wait, 3/5, flying, poison 1, strike all 1, unique; a card that can help many defense decks
    • Stealthy Niaq | Speedy Blightlands Achievement | Xeno | 2 wait, 3/3, poison 1, evade, jam; this is a beastly card
    • Venomous Raptor | One Hit Kill Achievement | Bloodthirsty | 2 wait, 1/5, flurry 1, poison 2; this is a great card in a defense deck
    • Toxic Cannon | Ouluth Raid Reward | Raider | 3 wait, 3/3, armored 2, poison 2

Bang For Your Buck

One strategy for a defense deck is to bring out a wave of fast, high attack-low wait creatures. Essentially, this group looks to overwhelm the enemy quickly. This isn't a great strategy, but some of these cards are easily available and might work for some players.

<table>
  • Trident | Level 4 Faction reward, 7500k | Imperial 2 wait, 3/4, counter 2
  • Festerich | Elite vault only | Bloodthirsty | 2 wait, 3/5, crush 2, siphon 2
  • Apex | Standard Rare | Xeno | 2 wait, 2/4, flying, rally Xeno 1, leech
  • Stealthy Niaq | Speedy Blightlands Achievement | 2 wait, 3/3, poison 1, evade, jam; this is a beastly card
  • Havoc | Standard Rare | Raider | 2 wait, 3/4, leech, pierce
  • Fighter Jet | Common Theme Achievement Reward | Imperial | 2 wait, 3/4, anti-air 2, flying, unique; fairly easy to get
  • Daemon | Standard Rare | Xeno | 3 wait, 4/5, anti-air 2, jam
  • Dominated Hatchlings | Standard Uncommon | Xeno | 2 wait, 3/5, heal 1
  • Quad Walkers | Mission 17 reward, Standard Uncommon | Imperial | 2 wait, 3/5; if you are reading this and under level 10, then this is probably one of the few cards on the page you own. Go play more before starting pvp!
  • Healing

Developing a healing element for a deck typically starts with one of the heal all commanders: Freddie, Vyander, Dementia, or Yurich. Every faction has "heal all x" cards. There's a few other cards that heal everyone regardless of faction. Of course, healing decks work best with meat shield and large beast decks (like boldie walkers, titans, krakens, gun ravens, pummellers, etc).

<table>
  • Poseidon | Nexus Conquerer Achievement reward | Imperial | 3 wait, 2/6, heal all 1, anti-air 2, siege 2
  • Aegis | Conquerer achievement reward, standard rare | Imperial | 3 wait, 1/4, heal all 2, armored 1; he keeps stuff alive.
  • Hornet Drones | Arena reward, 15k | Imperial | 1 wait, 2/2, flying, heal all 1; emp fodder
  • Jet Trooper | Standard Conquerer Achievement Reward | Imperial | 2 wait, 3/2, flying, unique; emp fodder- I'd prefer hornet drones since they are one turn faster. Both are pretty squishy.
  • Dominated Hatchlings | Standard Uncommon | Xeno | 2 wait, 3/5, heal 1
  • Carcass Scrounge | Mission 49 reward | Bloodthirsty | one drop, 1/3, leech 1, heal 1
  • One Drop Stop

These are some of the best cards around. They can compliment a variety of decks. If you are a lower level, and you have these cards, then use them. Most are rewards.

• Tiamat
    • Predator
    • Hatchet
    • Arc Trooper
    • Cannon Walker
    • Omega
    • Shapeshifter
    • Irriadated Infantry
    • Vampire
    • Hornet Drones

Sample Decks

As with Blockinlick's guide, I'll close with a handfull of sample defense decks. These aren't the best decks possible, they are a variety of quality that a large range of players can easily make. Advanced players will certainly be able to improve on these builds. But remember the purpose of this guide is to help new players think about building specific strategies for defense-first decks.

Pure Big Strike

Atlas

• Air Strike x3
    • EMP x2
    • Missile Silo x2
    • Command Center
    • Bulldozer
    • Dozer Tank

Pure Wall Stall

Draco or Dalia

• Missile Silo x2
    • Tesla Cannon
    • Blood Shield x2
    • Command Center
    • Sulphurous Acid Put
    • Xeno Singularis
    • Xeno Forcefield
    • EMP

Strike / Meat Shield

Atlas, Draco, or Dalia

• Missile Silo
    • EMP
    • Tiamat
    • Predator
    • Omega
    • Rifter
    • Titan
    • Bulldozer
    • Dozer Tank
    • Kraken

Meat Shield / Heal

Freddie

• Aegis x2
    • Dominated Hatchlings x2
    • Poseidon
    • Hornet Drones
    • Boldie Walker x2
    • Pummeller
    • Titan

A Bunch of the Best

Atlas

• Diesel
    • Dozer Tank
    • Bulldozer
    • Predator
    • Tiamat
    • Apex
    • Omega
    • Fortifier
    • Venomous Raptor
    • Poseidon

One Drop / Bang for the Buck

• Apex
    • Havoc
    • Hornet Drones
    • Tiamat
    • Predator
    • Cannon Walker
    • Vampire
    • EMP

Counter / Bang for the Buck

Atlas, Dalia or Dracorex as commander

• Trident x4
    • Mind Controller x2
    • Stealthy Niaq
    • Dozer Tank
    • Apex
    • Mortar Bunker

Imperial "I spent my war bonds poorly"

Ideally with Freddie, sadly I spent my first 100 war bonds on Arc Troopers and not Hatchets

• Arc Trooper x6
    • Mortar Bunker
    • Timat
    • Titan
    • Poseidon

Bloodthrist Rush

Lord of Tartarus as commander. I would note that the reason I advocate Blight Crushers is that the AI tends to throw structures at inopportune times. A first turn structure typically dooms this deck. Playing it structure free, as a defense deck, can be a good idea.

• Hatchet x4
    • Mawcor
    • Draconian Queen
    • Venomous Raptor
    • Asylum x2 or Blight Crusher x2
    • Diesel

Xeno Heal / Evade

Vyander as commander

• Sky Watcher x2
    • Pheonix x2
    • Dominated Hatchlings
    • Enclave Champion
    • Stealthy Niaq
    • Rifter
    • Predator
    • Sustainer Xolan

Weaken / Strike

Dalia, Draco, or Atlas as commander

• Enfeebler x2
    • Moloch x2
    • Nimbus
    • Boldie Walker x2
    • Missile Silo
    • Aegis
    • EMP

Rather Cheap, Quick Raider, Anti-Hatchet

Duncan as commander

• Omega
    • Cannon Walker
    • Hydroblade x2
    • Command Center
    • Impulse Walker x2
    • Pelican
    • Neocyte Guard x2

Kind of Cheap Anti-Strike, Healing, 6 health deck

Dalia or Draco would make a good commander

• Pelican x2
    • Sky Watcher x4
    • Bulldozer
    • Poseidon

Cheap Siege

Thaddius as commander

• Pelican x3
    • Muon Walker x2
    • Marine x2
    • Cannon Walker
    • EMP
    • Aegis

Flag Post

Thanks. I don’t need you to remove it; I’ll edit the html.

Flag Post

Remove the td, tr and table tags and it will be fine.

Flag Post

Yah tables don’t work on kong, but they should!
    Also kong needs sub-forums, to reduce clutter. :3

Flag Post

I hate to sound negative since you obviously put some time into all of this, but:

• Most of this is not a guide, but just list of cards with particular abilities
    • You missed all big poison: Venomous Raptor, Dragoon Hunters and Toxic Cannon
    • You’re completely missing purpose of defence decks: each deck is supposed to stop one particular offence archetype. Slapping together “4-5 cards from two of the different elements below” is not good idea since it won’t accomplish anything
    • Dozer Tank is strictly worse Trident. I can show you the math.
    • It’s Exodrone, not Xenodrone
    • Sky Watcher doesn’t have siege
    • Why Evade and Regen have “card advantage”?
    • Phoenix is definitely NOT the reason to buy Enclave. Mind Controllers, ComSat, Tesla Cannon, additional copies of Arc Trooper and Cannon Walker yes, Phoenix no.
    • No Sustainer Xolan in healing section?!?
    • What on Earth is Xeno Singularis doing in “pure wall stall”? Sulphuris Acid Pit is just worse Gatling Cannon
    • You don’t mention issue of going first/second at all

A+ for effort, E for execution.

Flag Post
  • Yes please show me the math since I doubt the results.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Shirahago:
  • Yes please show me the math since I doubt the results.

Dozer tank is 3/4/3 with regen, Trident is 3/4/2 with immobilize. Both have counter 2. Due to 1 less delay, but the same health, Trident is more likely to enter play. Dozer is only better when regen procs repeatedly, which is definately memorable when it happens but is just as likely to go out without any regen.

Flag Post

50% to regen means 50% of time Dozer Tank is 3/4 delay 3 counter 2, which is 1 delay more than Trident and no immobilize. Strictly worse.
    50% of chance to regen (total of 25%) exactly once, dies after that. So it deals 4 dmg vs Tridents’ 5 (counter twice vs counter and attack for 3). Strictly worse.
    25% of chance to regen it regenerates twice and dies. Assuming it lived long enough to actually activate once, it deals 2 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 9 dmg (counter-regens, counter-regens, activates and attacks, counter and dies) vs Tridents’ 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 = 10 dmg (counter, activates turn earlier and attacks, counter, attacks). Strictly worse.
    In conclusion: 50% to NOT regen and be worse. 25% to regen exactly once and still be worse. 12.5% to regen exactly twice and still be worse. Remaining 12.5% to regen 3 times or more. So one game in 8 it might be better than Trident, 7 games in 8 it’s worse.

Flag Post

You are assuming that trident will be hit twice and will survive them both. Dozer tank is basically 3 / 6 card with 3 delay 2 counter. Which is actually pretty good

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Seizan_7:

I hate to sound negative since you obviously put some time into all of this, but:

• Most of this is not a guide, but just list of cards with particular abilities
    • You missed all big poison: Venomous Raptor, Dragoon Hunters and Toxic Cannon
    • You’re completely missing purpose of defence decks: each deck is supposed to stop one particular offence archetype. Slapping together “4-5 cards from two of the different elements below” is not good idea since it won’t accomplish anything
    • It’s Exodrone, not Xenodrone
    • Sky Watcher doesn’t have siege
    • Why Evade and Regen have “card advantage”?
    • Phoenix is definitely NOT the reason to buy Enclave. Mind Controllers, ComSat, Tesla Cannon, additional copies of Arc Trooper and Cannon Walker yes, Phoenix no.
    • No Sustainer Xolan in healing section?!?
    • What on Earth is Xeno Singularis doing in “pure wall stall”? Sulphuris Acid Pit is just worse Gatling Cannon
    • You don’t mention issue of going first/second at all

A+ for effort, E for execution.

To address one of your points: card advantage refers to the fact that cards with evade and regen can completely nullify enemy cards. Every time a dozer tank procs its regen, it is like you have played another card. This is one thing a dozer tank can do that a trident never can: eat an air strike. Or two. Or an air strike and a missile silo.

Evade is a similar ability, since it too can eat strike-action cards.

I will fix some of the other mistakes you caught. I wrote this in one day, so there are shortcomings. That said, you should learn to communicate with other people in a way that isn’t condescending.

Flag Post

Dozer Tank is the Popo of Tyrant; I hope that puts things into context for you. :)

Flag Post

In the spirit of constructive criticism, I do believe you are missing a ton of very useful cards. Bolster Xeno, Vaporwing, Sustainer Xolan, Toxic Cannon, etc. You also need to talk a lot more about deck construction. Your sample decks are fine (I guess) but I wouldn’t be caught dead using any of them as is, and there’s no explanation as to how they are constructed or why. I think it would be more helpful if you analyzed the cards based on which types of attack decks they counter. Let me know if you think this is helpful:

SAMPLE DECK
    Vyander
    Mind Controller x4
    Azure Reaper x2
    Bolster Xeno
    Vaporwing
    Rifter
    EMP

The core of this deck is the Mind Controller, which fills two every important defensive roles. First of all, the MC crushes 1-drop cards of all kinds. Hatchets, Irradiated Infantry, Tiamat, Predator, Arc Trooper, Omega, and many more units all go down to the MC. With Vyander healing you can even kill two assault cards for each MC putting you ahead even when you surge. The other defensive role that the MC covers is the slowroll via mimic. The better your opponent’s cards are, the more useful your MC becomes.

Azure Reapers, Bolster Xeno and Vaporwing are your meat shields. Azure Reapers are legendary for how overpowered they are, with flying, evade, and high hit points. The mimic is just a bonus and once again as your opponent’s deck gets better so does yours. Vaporwing’s evade and flying partially make up for the low hit points. You could probably just put in another Azure Reaper but armor is rare for Xeno cards and provides a little variety. Bolster Xeno’s armor 2 and 6 hit points are truly amazing and its abilities are a nice bonus.

Rifter and EMP are your cleanup cards. Anything that isn’t killed the the Mind Controllers will be easy pickings for these.

You should always surge with this deck. If your opponent drops something fast and weak you counter with a Mind Controller. If it’s slow and dangerous you counter with the Azure Reaper. If it has a lot of abilities and low attack, play the Bolster Xeno or Vaporwing. When you get a card advantage play the Rifter to wipe the board clean.

Your obvious weakness is structures. A Dracorex wall stall deck will probably beat you (for a measly 10 points) but you can surge every other deck in the game for 40-45. However, you do have 3 high damage units with evade, so occasionally you can even pull a lucky win out of your hat. If you are desperate for siege, perhaps you could use Mortar Bunkers or the Invasion Coordinator but it severely compromises what your deck is good at and is not recommended.

Other cards you could use:
    Sustainer Xolan
    Enclave Pylon
    Xeno Fortress
    Mortar Bunker

Anyway, an analysis like this not only provides a sample deck but how it works, what it works against, how to use it, what it loses to (and every deck will lose to something), and possible alternative cards. It might be a bit of overkill for a general defense deck guide, I think this is the kind of information that is necessary for people to make informed decisions about things they may not have firsthand knowledge of.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Draconavin:

Dozer Tank is the Popo of Tyrant; I hope that puts things into context for you. :)

Only in tyrant he doesn’t represent a 3rd of our fighting force like Popo, but only a 10th.
    Which makes a big difference in being able to take a Dozer fail and still win.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by odstudios:

In the spirit of constructive criticism, I do believe you are missing a ton of very useful cards. Bolster Xeno, Vaporwing, Sustainer Xolan, Toxic Cannon, etc. You also need to talk a lot more about deck construction. Your sample decks are fine (I guess) but I wouldn’t be caught dead using any of them as is, and there’s no explanation as to how they are constructed or why. I think it would be more helpful if you analyzed the cards based on which types of attack decks they counter. Let me know if you think this is helpful:

SAMPLE DECK
    Vyander
    Mind Controller x4
    Azure Reaper x2
    Bolster Xeno
    Vaporwing
    Rifter
    EMP

The core of this deck is the Mind Controller, which fills two every important defensive roles. First of all, the MC crushes 1-drop cards of all kinds. Hatchets, Irradiated Infantry, Tiamat, Predator, Arc Trooper, Omega, and many more units all go down to the MC. With Vyander healing you can even kill two assault cards for each MC putting you ahead even when you surge. The other defensive role that the MC covers is the slowroll via mimic. The better your opponent’s cards are, the more useful your MC becomes.

Azure Reapers, Bolster Xeno and Vaporwing are your meat shields. Azure Reapers are legendary for how overpowered they are, with flying, evade, and high hit points. The mimic is just a bonus and once again as your opponent’s deck gets better so does yours. Vaporwing’s evade and flying partially make up for the low hit points. You could probably just put in another Azure Reaper but armor is rare for Xeno cards and provides a little variety. Bolster Xeno’s armor 2 and 6 hit points are truly amazing and its abilities are a nice bonus.

Rifter and EMP are your cleanup cards. Anything that isn’t killed the the Mind Controllers will be easy pickings for these.

You should always surge with this deck. If your opponent drops something fast and weak you counter with a Mind Controller. If it’s slow and dangerous you counter with the Azure Reaper. If it has a lot of abilities and low attack, play the Bolster Xeno or Vaporwing. When you get a card advantage play the Rifter to wipe the board clean.

Your obvious weakness is structures. A Dracorex wall stall deck will probably beat you (for a measly 10 points) but you can surge every other deck in the game for 40-45. However, you do have 3 high damage units with evade, so occasionally you can even pull a lucky win out of your hat. If you are desperate for siege, perhaps you could use Mortar Bunkers or the Invasion Coordinator but it severely compromises what your deck is good at and is not recommended.

Other cards you could use:
    Sustainer Xolan
    Enclave Pylon
    Xeno Fortress
    Mortar Bunker

Anyway, an analysis like this not only provides a sample deck but how it works, what it works against, how to use it, what it loses to (and every deck will lose to something), and possible alternative cards. It might be a bit of overkill for a general defense deck guide, I think this is the kind of information that is necessary for people to make informed decisions about things they may not have firsthand knowledge of.

This is great stuff. I’ll add it to the bottom of the guide. I ran out of steam after about 8 hours of writing this thing, so I’m more than happy to let other people do some quality work!

Flag Post

The guild layout is extremely confusing and poorly formatting. Reading is a pain and its more likely to be more confusing to newbies than helpful.

There are quite a number of typos in the guide.

As mentioned, specialising your defence is usually more helpful, because it means offence has to handle several specialised cards at once.

What’s the deal with “cheap”? You’re better off stating decent cards rather than poor subsitutes. If people don’t have the cards, then they’ll have to attempt to make a different deck.

You should remove where the cards can be found. It adds a lot of unnessesary text to guide. And there are other sources/card lists where you can find where to find a certain card. Link it instead of spamming.

I’d also like to correct you about the counter to offensive structure decks. It is usually going uphill if you want to play Siege to counter it. Its generally better to just snipe down their 1-3 assault units. For that, your own Structure deck would do infinately better because having more walls increases the time their assault has to attack your walls, giving more time for you to Strike it down. In other words, you force them to play Healing (even so, they might lose) which also hinders the effectiveness of their Structure deck.

Healing is not an element, neither is it a decktype. It only serves to compliment other cards.

I believe there are quite a number of other flaws, but you should really fix formatting, because I don’t want to re-read it like this.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Dethearoc:

You are assuming that trident will be hit twice and will survive them both. Dozer tank is basically 3 / 6 card with 3 delay 2 counter. Which is actually pretty good

I’m in agreement with this, but wanted to add a small note: Because excess damage done to a regenerating unit does not carry over to after it regenerates, against strong attack units or units which get rallied erratically, Dozer Tank actually can be meaningfully better than a 3/6 assault card with 3 delay and 2 counter on average.

Flag Post

Is one drop stop any effective in today’s meta?

Flag Post

I appreciate the amount of typing of the one who made this guide but he must be frigging crazy.

Nothing is useful except for sample decks, if any. But at first glance I believe these decks are just put together without being thorough tested. That you recognize each card in the deck doesn’t mean the deck is good. Sorry but quantity beats quality.

Flag Post

This is listing of a bunch of cards that can be used in defense but the way the cards are put together is rather bad, the fact that my surge deck can have roughly 80% win rate against every single one of these defense shows how bad it can be.

Rather than use terms that have been recycled and dumb down to the point where people don’t understand much i’ll introduce a terms that i use (not sure if anyone else uses them)

1st off: Theme
    Having a deck theme is important, basically its what you want to achieve with your defense. A reasonable theme to have is card removal. The theme of this deck is to play action cards or quick drops that focus on taking out whatever your opponent puts on the board, obviously the theme here is strike or a heavily rallied 1/0 drop , but strike does have one flaw it will hit a random target and 0 drops tend to not deal much damage on their own, thats where deck building comes into play. For the card removal version of strike of course the focus is atlas. Now consider what cards you will meet on offense and the hp you’ll encounter. When defense goes 1st there was a tendency for offense to play quick cards which inevitably have 3-5 hp. This opens the way for cards like EMP missile silos and air strikes, which would completely remove whatever was dropped on offense. An example would be atlas 1x missile silo 8x emp 1x diesel/dozer tank. Now if you’re wondering why that many EMP’s, it brings me to my 2nd term. (There’s various other themes out there but i’ll let you figure that out on your own.)

Continuity of Defense
    Now when attacking a faction your opponent is chosen by random, therefore you tend to put a card that would be a monkey wrench in a particular deck, hoping that the gods of RGN will favour you and give you that card when you face that particular opponent(covering the weakness of your offense), however what if he had more of the same card that it prevents having just a single card of that type in the offense to be enough to make a difference? Thats where deck continuity comes into play, a deck that continously drop card after card after card designed to wear down the offense’s card pool. Taking the most glaring and obvious example is the infamous II spam. Basically having a structure like comsat terminal in your deck could be the break your opponent looks to drop cards to establish dominance over the II deck thus 9xII + 1 comsat terminal might not be as effective as say 10xII(not that saying II decks are worth anything on defense). This is also why mystic obelisk is such a big liability, as its a card that does nothing on its own. To sum it up being half-assed in your theme can severely weaken your deck. Example would be mixing slow roll with rush.

Covering Deck Weakness
    Obviously with continuity of defense there also comes a big glaring weakness, the absolute lack of variety in your defense deck. Taking the previous example of II deck, having 10 II and running into say, an obsidian or a hydra basically kills off the entire deck. However putting a comsat terminal breaks the continuity of this deck, so in maintaining the theme of deck continuity and covering weakness we add a tiamat in there, thus we get a deck that is perhaps somewhat serviceable.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by darkChaos23:

This is listing of a bunch of cards that can be used in defense but the way the cards are put together is rather bad, the fact that my surge deck can have roughly 80% win rate against every single one of these defense shows how bad it can be.

Rather than use terms that have been recycled and dumb down to the point where people don’t understand much i’ll introduce a terms that i use (not sure if anyone else uses them)

1st off: Theme
    Having a deck theme is important, basically its what you want to achieve with your defense. A reasonable theme to have is card removal. The theme of this deck is to play action cards or quick drops that focus on taking out whatever your opponent puts on the board, obviously the theme here is strike or a heavily rallied 1/0 drop , but strike does have one flaw it will hit a random target and 0 drops tend to not deal much damage on their own, thats where deck building comes into play. For the card removal version of strike of course the focus is atlas. Now consider what cards you will meet on offense and the hp you’ll encounter. When defense goes 1st there was a tendency for offense to play quick cards which inevitably have 3-5 hp. This opens the way for cards like EMP missile silos and air strikes, which would completely remove whatever was dropped on offense. An example would be atlas 1x missile silo 8x emp 1x diesel/dozer tank. Now if you’re wondering why that many EMP’s, it brings me to my 2nd term. (There’s various other themes out there but i’ll let you figure that out on your own.)

Continuity of Defense
    Now when attacking a faction your opponent is chosen by random, therefore you tend to put a card that would be a monkey wrench in a particular deck, hoping that the gods of RGN will favour you and give you that card when you face that particular opponent(covering the weakness of your offense), however what if he had more of the same card that it prevents having just a single card of that type in the offense to be enough to make a difference? Thats where deck continuity comes into play, a deck that continously drop card after card after card designed to wear down the offense’s card pool. Taking the most glaring and obvious example is the infamous II spam. Basically having a structure like comsat terminal in your deck could be the break your opponent looks to drop cards to establish dominance over the II deck thus 9xII + 1 comsat terminal might not be as effective as say 10xII(not that saying II decks are worth anything on defense). This is also why mystic obelisk is such a big liability, as its a card that does nothing on its own. To sum it up being half-assed in your theme can severely weaken your deck. Example would be mixing slow roll with rush.

Covering Deck Weakness
    Obviously with continuity of defense there also comes a big glaring weakness, the absolute lack of variety in your defense deck. Taking the previous example of II deck, having 10 II and running into say, an obsidian or a hydra basically kills off the entire deck. However putting a comsat terminal breaks the continuity of this deck, so in maintaining the theme of deck continuity and covering weakness we add a tiamat in there, thus we get a deck that is perhaps somewhat serviceable.

Bravo, darkChaos23! Great points.

Now I would like to propose two def decks both of which follow what you said to the word.

Deck A: Duncan + 3 x Mortar Bunker + 7 x Cannon Walker
    The theme is structure removel. And there is no break for the enemy since Duncan always provides Siege 1, and both bunker and walker are siege capable. Duncan’s Rally 1 and bunkers more or less cover the weakness of the walker’s lack of attack.

Deck B: Atlas + 3 x Earthquake Generator + 7 x Airstrike
    The theme is assault removel. Again Atlas alway provides Strike 1, Airstrike is another Strike 4, 3 EQG all active will be Strike All 3. The wall skill of EQG covers for low health of Atlas, and Siege All 1 for EQG deals with structure threats.

BTW, the two deck cover the back of each other.

What’s your opinion? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Flag Post

Deck A would be horrible because Offensive decks often use Structures to compliment their creatures.

In the case of an offensive structure deck, I think I mentioned this earlier, but a structure deck counters a structure deck much better than a Siege one because of the number of walls in a structure deck, giving the strike structures alot of time to whittle down on the 1-3 assaults that the offensive structure deck would be using.

In other cases, Cannon Walker/Mortar Bunker would be a minimal threat to any other kind of deck, especially those packing fast siege.

tl;dr Deck A’s “theme” is poorly chosen.

As for Deck B, there suffers some inherent flaws with using Action cards and Earthquake Generator is a poor addition. Tesla Cannon, Missile Silo, Draconian Queen or Kraken would be highly preferable over EQG because Airstrike kills off numbers quickly. You will want to focus the rest on the slots on finishing a few assaults rather than many. EQG is a poor choice.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by LightburneR:

Deck A would be horrible because Offensive decks often use Structures to compliment their creatures.

In the case of an offensive structure deck, I think I mentioned this earlier, but a structure deck counters a structure deck much better than a Siege one because of the number of walls in a structure deck, giving the strike structures alot of time to whittle down on the 1-3 assaults that the offensive structure deck would be using.

In other cases, Cannon Walker/Mortar Bunker would be a minimal threat to any other kind of deck, especially those packing fast siege.

As for Deck B, there suffers some inherent flaws with using Action cards and Earthquake Generator is a poor addition. Tesla Cannon, Missile Silo, Draconian Queen or Kraken would be highly preferable over EQG because Airstrike kills off numbers quickly. You will want to focus the rest on the slots on finishing a few assaults rather than many. EQG is a poor choice.

@LightburneR

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you on Deck A. Offensive structure deck is played by human. So the 1-3 assualt will not be played until turn 8-10. So it all comes down to how many siege-capable structure you have in your deck between a structure-vs-structure duel. And since human has the advantage of pick the ones with siege from the three cards in hand while dumb AI will randomly pick 1 for you. I don’t think a def structure deck will be your safe bet.

The following off deck will be an example of my point
    Dracorex + Bulldozer + 3 x Blood Wall + 6 x Earthquake Generator

Flag Post
    Originally posted by LightburneR:

As for Deck B, since at least right now def decks still win all draw even in Surge mode. An assualt card is not a must for the def deck. :)

Telsa Cannon is a valid option, 1 more delay but 2 more health. It also finish off enemy quicker in times.

Kraken is a much better wall indeed. But it may also give your enemy the time to build up momentum agaist you.

Draconian Queen is questionable. With flying assualt and strike abundent. 6 health is not that much.

The biggest problem with Missile Silo is a simple one. It is not a Wall. So basically your Atlas is wide open with only 10 health. That can be easily exploited by 0 delay cards, such as Duncan/Rally Flag/Impulse Walker

Flag Post

You say “Boldie Walker” a whole bunch of times, but that is not its name. The card is called “Bolide Walker.” As in, B O L I D E.

Flag Post
    Originally posted by Draconavin:

You made me cry :‘-(
    Pity that there is no drama about Dozer Tank’s gender.