time "bank" system in tournaments

67 posts

Flag Post

Sometimes you need more than 30s to calculate, other times you have a nub that stalls pointlessly when the position is completely lost.

I propose instead of 30s/turn, We start with 1 min and 15/20s increments for every subsequent turn.

Total time should be about the same

1 min + 10×20s vs 10×30s

so 260s max vs 300s max, so the max time should actually be less. No stalling here.

…if it were 15s increment it’ll be much faster, but players might be a little rushed.

I personally spend probably around 15s/turn on average, some times I make instant plays other times I wish i had 45s-1min

P.S. I propose this increment system vs just 300s/match system so it works well in case you get dc’ed and then it’s just auto with 20s/turn once time runs out. Also if you get back you can play fast and build up your bank again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by shian:

sometimes you need more than 30s to calculate

I propose instead of 30s/turn, We start with 1 min and 15/20s increments for every subsequent turn.

yay alts can stall my matches for even longer :D
+1

Flag Post

idiotic thread is idiotic.
idiotic shian is idiotic.

Unlike you, most people have a life. They don´t want to spend the whole day in front of their screen. And if 30 seconds aren´t enough for you to calculate you are doing it wrong.

Flag Post

yeah thats one way of making me never play a tournament again if you need more than 30 seconds your using alts to stall

Flag Post

personaly i need 1 seckond to calculate evrything and if it is very complex problem then up to 5 seckonds

so because i am unsure what this topic is i have 2 diffrent responses for this:

option A 5/10 for trolling
option B no comments because there are some rules of kongregate and polite behavior

Flag Post

Why increase the timer?

Each player got 20s to place their cards so its pretty much equal.

increasing to 1:00 – 1:20 will be simply to long since there are people who are just picking their cards on the very last seconds.

Flag Post

20 secs is fine, unless you lag out.

Flag Post

No. Simply, what a stupid idea.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lonelyterrorist:

No. Simply, what a stupid idea.

just remember the two cards in ur hand max the timer should in fact be 10 secs if more ur most like trying to stall/troll

Flag Post

Sucks How I’m A N00b…that I need more time to pick a card. L2P n00b.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Shadowhopeful:

20 secs is fine

Flag Post
Originally posted by lol0lo:

yay alts can stall my matches for even longer :D
+1

Flag Post

well that’s y I said u start with a 1 min bank, then u get 20s increments after that. Reason is most moves take 5-10s, some might take a little over 30. When the board is complicated with lots of protects, rally, intercept ect. ect I find my self short 10s or so.

1. first you have to check all the protects
2. then you have to remember what cards your opponent has left in their deck
3. then you need to visualize all the possible out comes AND anticipate future plays for each outcome
4. finally you have to calculate whats the card to play that yields best expected value

..ya it can easily take over 30s on a crucial play, then when u finally made up your mind between 2 of the better cards, the bot plays the worst cause u’ve ran out of time.

Flag Post

well that’s y I said u start with a 1 min bank, then u get 20s increments after that. Reason is most moves take 5-10s, some might take a little over 30. When the board is complicated with lots of protects, rally, intercept ect. ect I find my self short 10s or so.

Think quicker.

Flag Post

Giving everybody time to perfectly calculate the exact best move is stupid. It takes away the little fun that tourneys still hold. Also, if you give stalling players extra time they will use it.

If you’re running out of time, just go with your gut.

Flag Post

There are instances when I appreciate the full 30-second timer: when I have to refresh to re-sync the tournament match. Otherwise, it’s unnecessary.

Flag Post

If you guys never used up the whole 30 min, odds are your not playing correctly.

Flag Post

It is true that there are probably turns where you need more time than in other turns (also depends on the deck). A system where you had a certain ammount of time available for the whole match would be nice (think speed chess). But then again this is probably way too difficult to implement.

Also this: I hate stallers :]

Flag Post

Exactly hoschi

I was thinking chess 2 only with increments, like chess then auto play once bank is empty.

Flag Post

I hope this whole topic is a joke. People have been begging for less wait times since tourneys came out.

Flag Post

No i’m serious. I’m not saying over all more time but allowing more time for turns that need time.

Flag Post

Joined with 20 minutes left. Went 17/2 to take first. More time is overrated.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IamaTumor:

:0 haxxx

Flag Post

Pro.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tonytyzhang:
Originally posted by IamaTumor:

:0 haxxx

Machax?