LDV's Guide to Tournament Etiquette

35 posts

Flag Post

You must listen, coz this is an LDV guide

I don’t usually play tournaments, but when I do this is what I do:

1. Say “hi!!!!!”
1b. If they are not on chat, form “:(” in your mind.
2. Don’t stall when you are obviously losing. There’s a surrender button. Use it. please.
3. Try not to take all of 20 seconds. all the time. the entire game. if possible.
4. If you’re beating someone as a result of pure RNG AND they are >25% AND you’re way <50%, surrender. (but only if they responded to 1., otherwise beat them.)
5. Don’t be mean or smug or falsely humble.
6. Don’t use mind games.

Originally posted by Moraku:

7. If you’re up against OMGWTFFFS, click on the surrender button immediately and send a chat message explaining what an awesome opponent you’ve just faced.

8. Learn how to make a short deck in sealed. Frequently, this usually makes your deck better as well as the matches shorter (thank god). (thanks master kungfumonkeymike for teaching me!!)

Originally posted by Shadowhopeful:

9. Ask if they are aiming for Apollo/Hades.

Originally posted by LauraxRawR:

10. Don’t do drugs!!!! :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by ladolcevita:
4. If you’re beating someone as a result of pure RNG AND they are >25% AND you’re way <50%, surrender.

wat

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bascule2000:
4. If you’re beating someone as a result of pure RNG AND they are >25% AND you’re way <50%, surrender.

wat

It makes sense, actually. If the situation is hopeless for you and you’re just trolling with your crappy deck, or fighting out of boredom for the hell of it and end up beating someone that you know is high up, there’s really no point in being a dick and wrecking all their points. You got your fun by trolling someone high up in the match, and they keep their points intact (the low ranked person usually gives so few points, anyway, it usually barely matters).

And yes, despite my reputation as a mindless rager, I have done and still do this myself.

Flag Post

wat

I don’t see any percentage in screwing someone over when I have nothing to gain from it.

Also, I mentioned the condition that they reply to “hi!!!”. If you don’t know them and don’t know where they’re ranked, there’s nothing to stop you from beating them.

Flag Post

then why not just make arena searchable?

Flag Post

7. If you’re up against OMGWTFFFS, click on the surrender button immediately and send a chat message explaining what an awesome opponent you’ve just faced.

Flag Post

And send cookies, too!

P.S.: No, I didn’t flag the thread about me, I was actually finding it amusing. Wonder who did, though.

Flag Post

7. If you’re up against jiraiya31, click on the surrender button immediately before he does and send a chat message explaining what an troll opponent you’ve just faced.

Flag Post
6. Don’t use mind games.

Mind games are the best way to win.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PsychoRaito:
6. Don’t use mind games.

Mind games are the best way to win.

not when they backfire and you lose because of shitty RNG.

Flag Post

Don’t forget to hug OMG.(OMG is really a big teddy bear)

Flag Post

wat

I don’t see any percentage in screwing someone over when I have nothing to gain from it.

Also, I mentioned the condition that they reply to “hi!!!”. If you don’t know them and don’t know where they’re ranked, there’s nothing to stop you from beating them.

I 100% support the spirit of this idea—why ruin someone else’s tournament if you don’t gain anything. But, I have managed to claw back from 960 to top 25% before, so if you are actually trying to get back into the top 50%, then surrendering doesn’t make any sense. Of course, that is exactly what LDV said, “…AND you’re way <50%…”. She is not saying don’t give up; she is saying if you are not in the money, then don’t poop on other people.

Flag Post

wat

I completely support this. Trolling in forums is yay, but in the game itself woah nelly you trolling like a baws

Flag Post
Originally posted by hunterhogan:

wat

I 100% support the spirit of this idea—why ruin someone else’s tournament if you don’t gain anything. But, I have managed to claw back from 960 to top 25% before, so if you are actually trying to get back into the top 50%, then surrendering doesn’t make any sense. Of course, that is exactly what LDV said, “…AND you’re way <50%…”. She is not saying don’t give up; she is saying if you are not in the money, then don’t poop on other people.

I’m sort of against it, unless they specifically ask. Ruins the spirit of the competition for everyone else, I don’t need no freebies.

Flag Post

1. Say “hi!!!!!”
2. Don’t stall when you are obviously losing. There’s a surrender button. Use it. please.
3. Try not to take all of 20 seconds. all the time. the entire game. if possible.
4. If you’re beating someone as a result of pure RNG AND they are >25% AND you’re way <50%, surrender. (but only if they responded to 1., otherwise beat them.)
6. Don’t use mind games.

8. Learn how to make a short deck in sealed. Frequently, this usually makes your deck better as well as the matches shorter (thank god). (thanks master kungfumonkeymike for teaching me!!)

This is a good guide. More people should follow it! (no sarcasm)

Flag Post
Originally posted by OOHnirav:

1. Say “hi!!!!!”
6. Don’t use mind games.

This is a good guide. More people should follow it! (no sarcasm)

its sarcasm because he said no sarcasm.

Flag Post

I don’t think it’s good etiquette to surrender games in a winning position! Frankly I think it’s a ridiculous idea, it’s something I will never do.

Flag Post

I think rng is pretty much part of the game, so if you happen to beat 1%, then go ahead. Besides, I don’t think many people keep track of who they are fighting or which rank they are anyway.

Flag Post

Does not make big sense at least in 24h where you can just be on a bad streak due to the current players. I went from 930 to 10% once, so what can be called rng can be a start of good streak for you. In any case: if you have really good deck you should be able to overcome this loss with a couple of victories. If you just hope for lucky wins for 10-25% you are no better than the one who is <50%.

Flag Post

I have won matches after being cussed out for not resigning what looked to be a lost position.

Flag Post

I think (4) depends on more than just being ranked poorly when your opponent is well-ranked in any particular tourney. I think LDV meant for it to apply to the few who just keep playing in tourney for fun with no intention of winning any particular %. If I pay attention to the ranking and know that the dude or lady I’m matched up with is shooting for a spot while I’m just messing around (and if they say hi), I don’t see why I wouldn’t do my small part to help out.

Flag Post

Disagree with 5 of your 8 points. What a terrible guide.

Flag Post

If everyone would follow 2 and 3 I would actually play a tourney from time to time. But there are so many retarded people out there that seem to need the full time to play 1 card of 3 (of a deck they probably know inside out).

I wish there was something like a speed tourney mode where you had like 5 secs max to chose your card. I would love this and wouldnt have to form “:(” in my mind all the time because of stalling enemies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sighaknight:

Disagree with 5 of your 8 points. What a terrible guide.

Disagree with 2 of your 2 points. What a terrible post. (Sigha for President)

Flag Post

9. Ask if they are aiming for Apollo/Hades.