Downloadable version (permanent cache)?

23 posts

Flag Post

My question is simple: is it possible to do something, so that the game wouldn’t have to reload each and every day (so i don’t have to wait 5-15 minutes prior playing the game while the map downloads)?
Is it not possible to alter the Unity cache settings, so the game doesn’t get erased (it apparently did when i booted up the pc today, nothing was altered on my part, also, it didn’t appear that any new updates were made)? Is it not possible to download the game data to somewhere?

The second thing that i’m concerned about, is the network usage of the game.
Sometimes, when loading a new map, the progress will start at ~50%: does this mean that the maps are being downloaded in background, crippling my already weak connection and ending me up with “connection refused” far more than it should? Asking this too, since some other unity games do it (a scumbag feature, if you can’t toggle it off in options menu)…

 
Flag Post

they have this planned for america

 
Flag Post

Honestly, i don’t care about what’s planned: i’m just asking if it’s possible to do (in the current state) right now.
This shouldn’t be that hard, perhaps modifying a variable here and there, or creating a reference to the map files or something (like being done with RAMdisk software): is this CURRENTLY POSSIBLE on the user end?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Stiivais:

Honestly, i don’t care about what’s planned: i’m just asking if it’s possible to do (in the current state) right now.
This shouldn’t be that hard, perhaps modifying a variable here and there, or creating a reference to the map files or something (like being done with RAMdisk software): is this CURRENTLY POSSIBLE on the user end?

if its planned then its possible, they are working more important things right now, i dont think that the devs has the extra 20-30 hours to fulfill the request of one man

 
Flag Post

holeman1, you don’t read very well, do you?

“…i’m just asking if it’s possible to do (in the current state) right now.”
“…CURRENTLY POSSIBLE on the user end?”

“…CURRENTLY POSSIBLE ON THE USER END?” =! A REQUEST FOR DEVELOPERS

This was a request meant for the community, perhaps someone familiar with unity has already found a way to do this.
Perhaps by adjusting how long data from the game stays in cache somehow (because to me the game doesn’t appear in web player cp), perhaps by backing up the map files from some temp directory and later pasting them back in, once they have been deleted: SOMETHING!

 
Flag Post

I would recommend to increase browser cache manually up to 2-4Gb.

 
Flag Post

how?

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Khushmael:

how?

u definitely can google it

 
Flag Post

Links for the lazy:
For Chrome: http://modifymypc.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-increase-google-chrome-cache.html
For Firefox: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/15018-firefox-increase-the-maximum-cache-size
For IE: http://windows7themes.net/set-internet-explorer-cache-size-via-ie-registry-or-group-policy.html

I’ll try this, however i’m not sure that this will work, since Unity browser seems to have separate caching settings:
http://webplayer.unity3d.com/setup/ (what you will see in this window will depend on what you have used recently)

 
Flag Post

Also, thanks for the tip!
(i might have been a bit impolite to holeman1, but i find him to be slightly frustration-inducing)

 
Flag Post

We do not use Unity Cache.

 
Flag Post

mate the reason it starts at 50% is because the 1st 50% is common data for all maps , so u load the other 50% that are specific to the map u are already loading , other than that u can save up to 5-6 maps in ur cache whithout having to load them every time u wanna play them , however if u load a new map ( map number 7) it will take time to load starting from 50% and will take the place of one of the already saved 5-6 maps , so the reason u are downloading maps each time , is because u are either clearing ur cache after the game , or using a program that clears ur temporary files ( ccleaner .. etc) so dont clear ur cache and choose ur most enjoyable 5-6 maps and stick to them , and u wont have to load again. As for a downloadable +1111

 
Flag Post

Your feelings toward holeman are correct, he’s not the brightest. Though your feelings towards the devs is not. They are extremely busy and don’t have the time to update 6 platforms every time they need to change something. This game isn’t made by Activision or another large company, so it’s a few guys working day and night to keep this open. If you would have searched, you would have found a thread from last week that detailed the concern about a standalone player.

Anyways, no. The only thing you can do is increase your cache (on a browser other than chrome)

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Stiivais:
Sometimes, when loading a new map, the progress will start at ~50%: does this mean that the maps are being downloaded in background, crippling my already weak connection and ending me up with “connection refused” far more than it should?

No, it means half of the map stuff, I’m guessing resources that every map uses, like textures, models, etc)

Originally posted by MP201:

Your feelings toward holeman are correct, he’s not the brightest. Though your feelings towards the devs is not. They are extremely busy and don’t have the time to update 6 platforms every time they need to change something. This game isn’t made by Activision or another large company, so it’s a few guys working day and night to keep this open. If you would have searched, you would have found a thread from last week that detailed the concern about a standalone player.

^^^^^^^
The devs are working incredibly hard for how little they get paid!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Stiivais:

holeman1, you don’t read very well, do you?

“…i’m just asking if it’s possible to do (in the current state) right now.”
“…CURRENTLY POSSIBLE on the user end?”

“…CURRENTLY POSSIBLE ON THE USER END?” =! A REQUEST FOR DEVELOPERS

This was a request meant for the community, perhaps someone familiar with unity has already found a way to do this.
Perhaps by adjusting how long data from the game stays in cache somehow (because to me the game doesn’t appear in web player cp), perhaps by backing up the map files from some temp directory and later pasting them back in, once they have been deleted: SOMETHING!

I SAID NO, AND I SAID ITS NOT POSSABLE BECAUSE THEY HAVE THIS PLANNED FOR AMERICA, WHY CANT YOU READ. (i think the downloadable version is up in russia thou, not 100% sure.) IF THEY SAY ITS PLANNED THEN ITS NOT UP YET (EX- DURRR, I PLAN TO HAVE MY FIRST SHIPMENT OF ORANGES IN, BUT I HAVE THEM AVALIBAL, DURRRRRRR)

 
Flag Post

Actually holeman1 you said it was possible because it was planned, so mistyped info there. Also he was asking the developers or someone with experience, not you, so your reply was useless to him. He was also talking about anything he can do on the user end, not means of download or standalone. *facepalm

 
Flag Post

Thank you for clarifying things, skullhead… :3
That is correct, i am not throwing my requests at developers (they probably have more important things to worry about), i am just asking if something can be done on the user’s end, so other guys really should stop bashing me: i am not some whiney kid who just wants his every wish fulfilled, i am just looking for a way to affect the cache (which i think i might have found, needs more testing).

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Stiivais:

RandyZ was just some whiney kid who just wanted his every wish fulfilled.

^^

 
Flag Post

if this becomes downloadable, wont it be easier to hack? because of the whole client side download stuff…

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by monsterenergy2:

if this becomes downloadable, wont it be easier to hack? because of the whole client side download stuff…

We already went through this in another thread. No, it won’t be easier to hack.

 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator
 
Flag Post

sorry for the double post :( my bad

i just increased it from 345400 to 400500 is it good??