Mardek 3 vs. Epic Battle Fantasy 3

226 posts

Flag Post

What do you think? Is mardek chapter 3 better than epic battle fantasy 3?

Here’s my opinion: I’ve played both games (and completed them both). I really enjoyed them, but I think mardek 3 has a better story and better gameplay.

I think Mardek 3 has a cool story with a lot of different stuff. Epic battle fantasy 3 doesn’t really have a story – it’s just 2 boys and a girl who try to save the world and kill one boss every part…

I think mardek 3 also has a better gameplay. At epic battle fantasy 3 and mardek 3 you can move arround, which is great. But at the battles of battle fantasy 3 you have to click for every attack and click for everytime one of them says something. At mardek 3 you can simply select with cursors and x or y. I find this a lot better

I think the sense of humour is great at both games. Mardek 3 has a lot of sarcasm jokes and epic battle fantasy has a lot of sexist jokes. Their humour (and the badges) kept me playing and completing the game.

Mardek 3 has a rating of 4.31, and Epic Battle Fantasy 3 has a rating of 4.51. I feel really sorry for Pseudolonewolf (the creator of mardek 3) that his game rating is lower than the game rating for epic battle fantasy 3. I think Epic Battle Fantasy 3 got a higher rating just because of Nat’s boobs (not that I don’t like them, but it doesn’t make epic battle fantasy better than mardek 3).

I really wonder what your opinions are…

Flag Post

I say Epic Battle Fantasy 3 just because i have never ever know about the other game…
And if that doesnt counts like a vote for you,then i just wont vote.the end :)

Flag Post

Ivod, you should post this in the General Gaming forum, as this forum is for more general stuff about Kongregate, and General Gaming is for games of Kongregate, like these two you’ve talked about.

Flag Post

Epic Battle Fantasy 3, because Mardek 3 don’t have jiggling boobies. (and I’ve never really liked the Mardek serie, while I loved EBF3)

Flag Post

EBF3 wins, only because of the overt lulziness of it. I had a lot of fun with that game, and isn’t that the point?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Agent_86:

EBF3 wins, only because of the overt lulziness of it. I had a lot of fun with that game, and isn’t that the point?

Mmhmm, but some people enjoy a good storyline for the lulziness. :P

Flag Post

MARDEK 3 is the one with serious story. EBF3’s primary point is to be funny and not serious.

…and most people here come for funny.

Flag Post

Both games are epics… somewhat more so for Mardek 3. This, however, is the reason I think EBF3 is a bit better than M3 – whilst M3 is amazing in terms of story, art, etc., it’s just too long for most people to want to finish, which, sadly, includes me. EBF3 is of a similar length to M2, somewhere between 5 and 15 hours to complete, and it’s hilarity adds to it’s awesomeness.

Also, EBF3 is the third highest rated game on the site. That sways things a lot too.

Flag Post

This should be in general gaming, but I can post my comparison nevertheless. These items are in no particular order:

1. Quests:
Kidding me? All EBF 3 has is “get these items”. Mardek (I refer to the whole series, not just 3) has an extensive amount of and variety in quests, both main and optional. Mardek wins.

2. Battles on the map:
I like how you aren’t randomly put into battles when walking around the map in EBF 3. In Mardek, the bosses are on the map, but the enemies are not. This could be a good addition, instead of random battles. EBF 3 wins.

3. Skills and spells availability:
In EBF 3, all you do is fight enemies and select the skills/spells you want from a convenient list. In Mardek, you actually have to find them. This is important, and fun. Some are really tought to find, but give you a great reward while others can be bought from a shop. Mardek wins.

4. Save system:
This somewhat ties in with point 6, but I’ll treat it individually too. I like to be able to save at any point. I’m kind of hardcore in that, because I really hate losing what I achieved, so I dislike games like Max Mesiria or Elona Shooter. Mardek 3 isn’t that bad, you can always save by just going back to a point where a save is possible, but in EBF 3, you can save anywhere you like. EBF 3 wins.

5. Humour:
Sorry, I’m really not into “lolz aids” jokes. Mardek’s humour is silly in a good way and simply has jokes I’m into. Mardek wins.

6. Battle system:
In Sonny, you only have 3 versus 3. In Mardek, you have 4 versus 4. In EBF, you have 5 versus 5. For the first two, it only counts after you found your allies and for the latter, you only have three characters while the enemy gets 5 (but if they continue on with this game, you might find more characters). I like more characters/enemies in a battle, but this isn’t really a big point. What I like about EBF 3 is there are multiple waves in one battle. What I dislike is you aren’t told how many waves there are, so you don’t know if you should finish off with Lance or wait for Matt. This is because of the dislikable feature that even if you counter-kill an enemy, the next wave still gets its turn first. In Mardek, every battle is much more fair than both Sonny and EBF 3. The one with the highest agility begins, and then the one with the second highest, and so on. I don’t like entire teams getting a huge advantage just because of one point of difference. So, while Mardek could use some things from EBF 3, Mardek still wins in general.

7. Enemies:
I think in general both games have different types of enemies with different types of skills and different types of weaknesses/strengths. It’s a tie.

8. Secrets:
The only secrets in EBF 3 are pathways to get into areas with chests or areas where you can only get with a certain amount of medals, also to get chests. In Mardek, there are a lot of different types of secrets and some are pretty fun to find or find out. Mardek wins.

9. Story:
Story’s a lot less intriguing, interesting or even extensive in EBF 3. Mardek gives a lot of background you can read (but don’t have to), and it does a pretty good job of keeping a secure story over the entire game. Mardek wins.

10. Graphics:
This is probably the feature making people rate EBF 3 so highly and Mardek a lot lower. I’m not just talking about how good it looks overall, but showing off a female’s body always seems to work (Caesary anyone?). That is to say, that is why I prefer Mardek.

10. Overall:
Mardek wins.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the ability to choose between difficulties. I think this could be a good addition to Mardek as well, but perhaps something along the lines of Sonny 2. Being able to do more in the game if you play on a higher difficulty setting. EBF 3 somewhat implemented that, but only for hte 60 medal area.

MARDEK 3 is the one with serious story. EBF3’s primary point is to be funny and not serious.

Did you even play Mardek? I’m not saying you should prefer Mardek’s humour over EBF’s, but to say Mardek is serious is looking past a great deal of the game.

Flag Post

Mardek 3 has better lore, story and gameplay. EBF3 has better animation, art and difficulty on the harder bosses. Both really good games though. I’d say Mardek was more enjoyable just for the pure depth of the game. Mardek 3 took me 50+ hours, while EBF3 was about 15. I actually found Mardek more funny than EBF3, maybe because I was one of the few who actually read the dialogue and am less amused by wobbly boobies.

Flag Post

I prefer Mardek, but both games deserve a 5/5 from me, as they are both games that are fun and took hell effort to make.

Flag Post

Mardek 3.

Best. Flash. RPG. So Far. Ever.

Flag Post

Epic Battle Fantasy 3 had an enemy which literally raped the player characters with its tentacles. :3

Flag Post

I personally don’t think the EBF series is that funny.

I think Mardek is better in every single way.

Flag Post

Did you even play Mardek?

Ahem. I, like, completed it before everyone but thirteen people.

I’m not saying you should prefer Mardek’s humour over EBF’s

Okay, cool, I’m not saying that either.

but to say Mardek is serious is looking past a great deal of the game.

And I looked past a great deal of the game, saying its story is serious. Its plot. The rest, including dialogues and bestiary entries and whatnot, is much less serious, sure.

Still, EBF3 took being funny as its very primary aim.

Flag Post

Ahem. I, like, completed it before everyone but thirteen people.

I’m glad you can be proud of that.

And I looked past a great deal of the game, saying its story is serious. Its plot. The rest, including dialogues and bestiary entries and whatnot, is much less serious, sure.

What, exactly, is completely 100% serious about the game? There are definitely things that are serious, but if you see one of the antagonists go “what? I wasn’t listening, I had this nice tune in my head. It went like nanananananaaaaaaaa”, I doubt you can say even the big plot is fully serious. Sure, there are evil people taking over your world and you have to stop them, but that’s always combined with some humour. I really wouldn’t try to claim the aim of Mardek is to be serious.

Flag Post

Mardek3 wasted my 50+ hrs. EBF3 just over 2 hrs
So Mardek3 is more engaging

Flag Post

I have to agree with Minn, Mardek was a reasonably serious game, it’s just the dialogue that was quite humourus.

Flag Post

MARDEK: 5/5

Why? Because It took 3 Years to make, The music is very nice. And sometimes it gives hardcore players a run for there money and the skill system is good.

EBF: 4/5

Why? The skills system is not as good as MARDEK but it is still good. The graphics are too not bad. The biggest downside for me is the Equipment, I don’t like the %+ Attack e.g.

MARDEK wins for me.

Flag Post

I laughed so hard at some arguments here. I’m just waiting for a guy who says: “didn’t play any of them so lemme flip a coin and give a random opinion”. Also I’ll totally throw a suggestion at Pseudolonewolf to make Elwyens breasts jiggle, cause sexy lines about hot passionate lovemaking just ain’t doing it for the kiddos anymore.

So yeah, EBF loses a boatload of points for almost all the “world map” elements. Because they were just awful and lame and incredibly lazy. Quests are a joke, I mean, compare the freakin things for a sec here. The map itself is painfully linear, some locations in Mardek are not just beautiul, they’re amazingly complex with very interesting design. And all the folks complaining about random battles don’t seem to know about the feature that lets you skip through half of them by pressing Z when the exclamation mark appears. And some areas are just meant to be difficult to walk through.

The system of elemental strenghts and weaknesses is quite ok in both games, although Mardek makes the effort of making this into like the rules of physics for this world, so it’s all coherent and you can pretty much figure it out without even having to check the monster data. Also it seems Mardek is more demanding in this department, especially ch3. Without a good strategy you can still have a stab at most mobs in EBF3, without a good grasp on what you’re doing and a fair bit of versatility on your partys side you’re dead meat in Mardek 3.

Turn based combat is what made EBF series great so I won’t say it doesn’t do an awesome job here, but still, Mardek’s got a few things to add even more fun to it. Reaction moves are an awesome part of gameplay that keeps you on your toes in combat and really grows on you. If Mardek RPG had limit breaks and was just a bit more flashy, EFB would have completely nothing to stand against it.

The level of customization in Mardek are amazing. You can switch team members, weapons, armor, skills and passives. There’s so much to fiddle with it’s uncanny and it pays to be proficient in it cause it helps you create teams incredibly efficient at kicking a particular ass which is incredibly rewarding in itself >flexes tactical skill<, EBF falls a bit short here, cause you kinda just unlock another set of skills that seem to come in handy here and once you get Airstrike and a few other essentials only the boss fights will need anything more. Also you can’t really switch around all that much.

Sooo anything EBF has done better? Yeah, graphics. They do appeal more to most people, well personally I think the world view is as “badly” done as in Mardek (seriously, another five minutes of that idiotic grin on the chars faces and I’d punch someone) and Mardek going for the retro pixelated style is not shy to admit it’s been done on purpose. I do think that part is what might be driving people away from the series though so it might be smart to make the graphics a little different. I just hope it doesn’t lead to chibi mardek with the same signature grin.

Also: boobs. Boobies are awesome, we all admit that, the question is are boobies enough to be a driving force behind a game? No, they’re not, but luckily for EBF some people don’t seem to notice ;)

Flag Post

after reading all those posts, I think I know why EBF got a higher gamerating… People don’t even take the time to play mardek 3… when some people start mardek 3 they’ll think ‘bad graphics, only storytalk meh 1/5’… while some EBF players start the game and they’ll think ‘L4K 0MG B00B4’s WORW! 5/5’…

I really wonder… if mardek 4 would let elwyens boobs jiggle… whether it will increase the game rating or not… i

Flag Post
Originally posted by ivod:

after reading all those posts, I think I know why EBF got a higher gamerating… People don’t even take the time to play mardek 3… when some people start mardek 3 they’ll think ‘bad graphics, only storytalk meh 1/5’… while some EBF players start the game and they’ll think ‘L4K 0MG B00B4’s WORW! 5/5’…

I really wonder… if mardek 4 would let elwyens boobs jiggle… whether it will increase the game rating or not… i

Mardek 3 don’t have bad graphics…pixelated graphics are the best, but pixelated boob-jiggling wouldn’t look too good, lol.

Flag Post

It’s a really close fight here, but I prefer EBF3 since it’s more challenging and has overall cuter graphics.

Flag Post

And now I officially don’t know whether to scratch my head as for why EBF was challenging for Danaroth at all (nothing took me more than 2-3 tries to figure out) or to envy him for being so ridiculously awesome at Mardek.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mandracos:

And now I officially don’t know whether to scratch my head as for why EBF was challenging for Danaroth at all (nothing took me more than 2-3 tries to figure out) or to envy him for being so ridiculously awesome at Mardek.

Well must be because I played in epic with the condition not to repeat battles nor using items (but I have to admit I’m ridicously stuck at the tank thing ;D)