Mardek 3 vs. Epic Battle Fantasy 3 page 2

226 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mandracos:

And now I officially don’t know whether to scratch my head as for why EBF was challenging for Danaroth at all (nothing took me more than 2-3 tries to figure out) or to envy him for being so ridiculously awesome at Mardek.

What difficulty setting did you choose on EBF?

Flag Post

He? Probably Normal. I’m in pretty much the same situation, first playing Normal to scan everything and unlock secret areas and then Epic. Just without that self-imposed challenge.

Flag Post

I played on epic, and only repeated battles if I figured out I need some specific skill to beat one and was out of points to unlock. So it was like 5 times and mostly in the beach levels. Also: tank? You mean protector? This is ridiculous, it’s one of the easiest bosses in game, and that’s not even just my opinion, everyone I know seems to think that. Buy Matt a Dragonslayer upgrade it a bit and you won’t even notice when te guy’s gone.

PS You trying to say I’m ridiculously good at EBF? God, that’s kinda unexpected :P

Flag Post

I do use a dragonslayer (lvl 4 I think) and thunder equip on everyone; my normal damage with it is like 3k, but can’t waste attacks on him since matt is used for his buffs/debuffs so I can only wait patiently for his special to unlock and combo with nat’s kyru (I’d need to do it twice I think :P)

Flag Post

Loved both, but Mardek is a far better game for me. EBF3 wins on graphics and attack animations, but Mardek on everything else.

Flag Post

Mardek 3 is the better of the two. The storyline has such amazing depth, So many things to do, the game itself could be turned into a movie and already have many pages of script.
Also, there are so many surprises and plot twists, every time a twist came I was so shocked I had to rely on my chair’s tilt to stop from toppling over. Mardek 3 has a light sense of comedy, EBF3 is a childlike graphics game with blatant comedy, if the game wasn’t as funny and didn’t have the pervert attractor, the rating would be .30 lower at least.EBF3 requires little effort to beat. Mardek 3 was so hard, It took me 130 hours to get the impossible badge. What would you rather have, 5 hours of a childish game that took about 1 year to make and had only a decent amount of fun, or 60+ hours of a game that took so much hard work, it took over 2 years to make, and also, has A continuing storyline to go through chapters, with Probably over 400+ hours in total of extreme Fun, complex battles, and O:!!! Plot twists?

Flag Post

It took me 130 hours to get the impossible badge.

40 here. I’m sure that time could be cut a lot if I went to the forums less… maybe it’s just that you aren’t that good?

But, I agree, the plot in MARDEK 3 is really something. I sat for three days straight there, spending most of my time, at the end, I even went and stayed up until 4 AM, to get through [classified information]. Reminds me of the Lifestream…

MARDEK 3 is as good as many of those Final Fantasy games. If the second and third parts were released together after FF6… the series would be as great as it is. This, while EBF3 is more like pure, unadultered fun… say, MARDEK is Left 4 Dead and EBF is Dead Rising. In the first one, you have characters with developed personalities, in the second one, you kill zombies.

Flag Post

TO be honest I don’t understand where those “developed” personalities are, expecially the girls. All they do is randomly blushing here and there :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danaroth:

TO be honest I don’t understand where those “developed” personalities are, expecially the girls. All they do is randomly blushing here and there :P

We know who the girls like, we know their life stories,same goes for males, but in EBF3, all we know is that they are girls and guys and have weapons.

Flag Post

40 here. I’m sure that time could be cut a lot if I went to the forums less… maybe it’s just that you aren’t that good?

Do you count in the time spent on Mardek 1 and 2? 40 hours (this is without already including 1 and 2) means basically knowing the entire walkthrough out of your head, taking perfect routes, skipping battles, levelling the exact skills you need and rushing towards the impossible badge requirements as soon as you can.

Yeah, skipping all of the dialogues makes you think that.

Flag Post

Own’d :P Also a very good point: dialogue does provide a ton of characterisation and exposition in Mardek. I mean ok they’re all a bit stereotypical at times but cmon even Sslenck has something interesting and meaningful to say about his views on race, morals and lifestyle. I do agree some characters aren’t very deep but most provided me with a fair deal of fun with their lines.

Flag Post

I must admit I skipped many dialogues in Mardek, but that’s because I did felt they were boring and I had to read through tons of text if I had to find a joke. Maybe making it less wordy and more direct would have helped.

Flag Post

This was not a reply to the humour or story in Mardek, but to the developed personalities. If you do not read through the dialogues, you might as well say “there’s no story!”. There is, and the characters all have many unique things to say.

It’s a shame games nowadays have to include big breasts, jokes about sex, very short to no stories and easy-to-find everything in order to get a bigger rating. Luckily, there are still enough Mardek fans out there, so its rating is definitely high.

Flag Post
Do you count in the time spent on Mardek 1 and 2? 40 hours (this is without already including 1 and 2) means basically knowing the entire walkthrough out of your head, taking perfect routes, skipping battles, levelling the exact skills you need and rushing towards the impossible badge requirements as soon as you can.

I'll read my saves.

11:00 - Sun Temple (11 hours for the first two parts)
15:06 - Dark Temple
16:10 - Dreamrealm - Canonia Woods - Shaman's Hut
17:35 - First save with Meraeador
19:09 - Lifewood - outside the Earth Temple for the first time
20:03 - Lake Que
21:35 - Water Temple, last save there
22:39 - Crimson Peak
23:48 - First save with Legion, also Lifewood Monastery
28:25 - Last save in Fire Temple
30:42 - First Earth Temple save
32:22 - Last Earth Temple save
32:33 - Miasmal Citadel
33:13 - First Arena save
35:30 - Here the Arena Saves streak stops, but it returns later
35:51 - Miasmal Citadel again
36:36 - Miasmal Citadel again, after Karnos
37:37 - Dreamwood - Soulgrove
38:04 - Dreamshrine
39:14 - Dreamshrine after Animus
40:43 - Arena again
41:31 - Castle Goznor Dorm before the very definitely final challenging boss
42:18 - Trippy place that looks like Lifestream
42:49 - End of Chapter III carryover save
10:47 - End of Chapter II carryover save

43:18 - The Arena for the last time

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

This was not a reply to the humour or story in Mardek, but to the developed personalities. If you do not read through the dialogues, you might as well say “there’s no story!”. There is, and the characters all have many unique things to say.

It’s a shame games nowadays have to include big breasts, jokes about sex, very short to no stories and easy-to-find everything in order to get a bigger rating. Luckily, there are still enough Mardek fans out there, so its rating is definitely high.

I kind of agree… I’m one for the classics.

Flag Post

I really enjoyed playing both of the games, but I’d have to say I enjoy the MARDEK series more. I find the story in MARDEK very interesting, and I like what background story we’re given for the characters, and I’m curious to find out what’s going to happen in the next chapter. The game also has somewhat of a challenge with the “superbosses”, which I’m hoping to become ever more “super” in the upcoming chapters. I also spent about 50 hours for all 3 chapters, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

As for EBF3, it’s mainly the remarks made by Natz that I find myself laughing at, while everything else gets a smirk. Regarding the Pervert medal, it’d be nice to have something similar for Matt/Lance or just remove it, as when the game got badges, a lot of people got fixated on her boobs, as if they’re the main reason for playing the game, and I recall someone spending several hours just clicking them just because it amused him. There’s even talk now about clicking them during her Kyun limit break because of the view, and a few people are going hysterical over them. Also, there’s really no story, and I wouldn’t care if there was an EBF4, and I think I spent only a few hours playing the game without wanting to try the New Game + feature or go back into Epic.

Flag Post

Right on :D And we really could use some more stuff like Pseudolonewolfs epic creation.

Flag Post

Epic battle fantasy3 i like it more than mardek 3

Flag Post

I don’t really like either, to be honest.

Flag Post

Why EBF3 has a higher rating than Mardek 3: It appeals to a wider audience.

I do think Mardek 3 is much better than EBF3, but my opinion =/= everyone on the site’s opinion. Many people prefer simple games like EBF3. Mardek 3 takes a way too long to complete and it takes a lot of thought, strategy, and patience to get through. Most casual players are not interested in a game like that. EBF3, on the other hand, is more straightforward and easier to complete. My point is, the players that can appreciate Mardek 3 are outnumbered by the simple gamers that prefer EBF3.

Flag Post

You have to play Mardek 2 (and possibly 1) in order to understand the storyline, while EBF3 is more of free-play.

Flag Post

I like Mardek :)

Flag Post

Mardek has a much better story, lore, and characters. And that’s what’s most important for a RPG in my opinion.
Epic Battle Fantasy 3 has some really really awesome animations, but it’s still not that much more than a battle after battle simulator.

Flag Post

For whatever reason, I really dislike the EBF’s, especially 2, so I prefer MARDEK, who I also once initially disliked, but love now… maybe it’s a cycle…

Flag Post

Well, aside from the first one, I’ve gotten approximately 5 minutes into each Mardek game before boring takes over. So, EBF, I guess.