Mardek 3 vs. Epic Battle Fantasy 3 page 8

226 posts

Flag Post

I feel Mardek 3 is much better. It has a very deep storyline, lots of sidequests and game content, variety, playability, even the dialogue is witty. It kept me hooked and I spend around 60 hours on it. EBF3 is cool, I spent like 10 hours on it, but I must say that Mardek 3 is more well thought out, and EBF3 pales in comparison to its legacy.

Flag Post

I liked both games but i prefer EBF3 because im still on volcano peak and i beat mardek in 2 days. Mardek Series 4/5 EBF Series 5/5 I give it to EBF Series.

Flag Post

This is just my opinion, but EBF3 takes the cake in this comparison. If it was EBF3 vs Mardek 2, there would be no doubt that Mardek is better, but it didn’t take long before I felt Mardek 3 lost its “fun” component:

The story got pretty boring and overly complex, with teammates everywhere. it doesn’t feel well when a character you like is simply outclassed in every form due to a similiar character being able to do everything better(Music girl, Shaman >>> Air Lady you get at the start). The “whole-game completion” requirements also rose pretty drastically, from simply going through a dungeon again in Mardek 2 to get a key to killing 100(?) monsters to get 1 crystal/gem/whatever you need to get everything. I found it impossible to keep everyone at a similiar level (Mardek outlevelling others because you cannot remove him), and extremely difficult to find a use in certain characters.(e.g. The fire guy, Donovan?). The excitement of a new episode soon faded when I found myself struggling to pass further in the story simply because I want to use someone that is sub-optimal and also when I found that things in stores are too expensive and that I have to farm for more money, to get all the skills for the characters.

I didn’t get to legion yet, and to be frank I’m glad I didn’t. His whole “learn skills from monsters” thing would’ve probably drove me mad as I feel I have to get everything. The whole limited ingredients thing is also pretty stupid. I don’t want to lose out on something very powerful simply because I opted to make something weaker to help me pass through a certain zone earlier. I feel that Mardek 3 wasn’t rushed, it was delayed far too much. There are simply too much crammed in that game. I don’t feel like touching it again, because the second I start, I know I will spend hours trying to train skills on every character, saving money to buy ingredients to make more equipment with more skills to train. I wish Pseudolonewolf kept to the length of Mardek 2 and made 2 games instead in the time it took him to make 3, as 3 was just too much for me to handle.

Am I saying EBF3 has more depth and quality than Mardek? No. EBF simply made something that was the right length, long enough to feel like an adventure, but short enough that you don’t lose interest. EBF3 may have crude jokes, but that’s exactly what it’s about. I didn’t play EBF3 expecting a long extensive storyline with tons of lore behind it, I played EBF to have some fun and a good laugh. To put in comparison, EBF to M3 is like eating fast food compared to eating at a feast. Eating at a feast will taste better, but I’ll never finish all the food, while fast food is cheap but will still fill me up.

I don’t expect everyone, or actually anyone to agree with me on this, but this is how I felt when I played the two games.

Flag Post

Mardek was also made for those who wish to spend a lot more time on a single game and read more story or interesting jokes. Most casual gamers, unfortunately, do not have or do not wish to spend the time on it. Luckily, all three still got a decent rating.

Since I take my time, I’d rather have a feast I could eat from all day long, than a quick bite and being hungry for the rest of the day.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Peter_144:

A giant-wall-of-text person who prefers EBF3? Wow.

Only thing that annoyed me about Mardek was the achievement for walking 100,000 metres (or whatever meaningless unit it was) — I didn’t use the walkthrough (much), so felt I did a lot of unnecessary walking, and still came up 20k short.

Flag Post

The achievements are somewhat biased towards those who’ve played through chapters 1 and 2. You’ll not be able to get some of them if you only play through chapter 3, and others will take a lot longer (such as the one you pointed out).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Peter_144:

Eating at a feast will taste better, but I’ll never finish all the food, while fast food is cheap but will still fill me up.

You’d rather have McDonald’s over a feast?

lolololololololol

Flag Post

McDonald’s fills you up?
And I did play through the first two chapters first.

Flag Post
Originally posted by chesshawk:

You’d rather have McDonald’s over a feast?

lolololololololol

I didn’t clarify, but it was more like me going to a restaurant for dinner and them bringing up fast food or a feast. Sure, a feast’s nicer, but eventually I’m going to get stuffed and stop eating, which stops me from enjoying the rest of that meal. I never said Mardek 3 was bad, but I do feel that it is too long and complex. I’m no hardcore gamer, and games are what I use to relax. Playing Mardek became quite a chore the further I got, which is why I stopped.

I did play through 1&2, and I made sure I got everything possible from 2 before I ended it, even farming that key boss for the keyblade. It felt good to know you played the game to its full potential, and the fact that it is no longer possible in Mardek 3 put me off quite a bit. It is the summer holidays though, I’m thinking about playing Mardek again and maybe my opinions will change this time.

Flag Post

Since I’m one of the few who loves doing every single thing possible in Mardek, I can attest the fact that you’re capable of getting everything to the maximum. In Mardek 1, there are no problems. In Mardek 2, there’s several that you can overcome with a bit of repeating the save/fight/load procedure until the item drops: keyblade, greataxe, and kiteshield (even though greataxe is unnecessary as you’ll get it by default in chapter 3, and kite shield can be farmed much more easily in chapter 3). In Mardek 3, you just need to be very careful. I am going to admit that you cannot get all items, but I am also going to admit that you won’t miss a single skill out there. For example, you will have only one jade in the entire game, with the skill vit+1, but you have to give that up to create another item. If you teach it to Legion (the only one who can’t wear stoles), you won’t have to worry about that skill due to the fact there’s a stole that teaches the same skill. You’ll also not be able to get eagle wings if you pick the correct items to forge with golden ores, but it doesn’t teach Zach anything new and is worse than the other doubleswords. There’s also the choice to forge golden M helm, but that is choosing between keeping your last two candriathopes (the only item in the game teaching you the experience gain skill) or just better stats for Mardek. The need for better stats can be removed by farming, so in the end you’re not losing anything.

I can understand, though, that for casual players it seems you’re going to lose out on a lot, but again, you can get everything that you need without feeling left out.

Must be a casual run, then. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but I didn’t have trouble with it due to spending a lot of time on it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Since I’m one of the few who loves doing every single thing possible in Mardek, I can attest the fact that you’re capable of getting everything to the maximum. In Mardek 1, there are no problems. In Mardek 2, there’s several that you can overcome with a bit of repeating the save/fight/load procedure until the item drops: keyblade, greataxe, and kiteshield (even though greataxe is unnecessary as you’ll get it by default in chapter 3, and kite shield can be farmed much more easily in chapter 3). In Mardek 3, you just need to be very careful. I am going to admit that you cannot get all items, but I am also going to admit that you won’t miss a single skill out there. For example, you will have only one jade in the entire game, with the skill vit+1, but you have to give that up to create another item. If you teach it to Legion (the only one who can’t wear stoles), you won’t have to worry about that skill due to the fact there’s a stole that teaches the same skill. You’ll also not be able to get eagle wings if you pick the correct items to forge with golden ores, but it doesn’t teach Zach anything new and is worse than the other doubleswords. There’s also the choice to forge golden M helm, but that is choosing between keeping your last two candriathopes (the only item in the game teaching you the experience gain skill) or just better stats for Mardek. The need for better stats can be removed by farming, so in the end you’re not losing anything.

I can understand, though, that for casual players it seems you’re going to lose out on a lot, but again, you can get everything that you need without feeling left out.

Must be a casual run, then. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but I didn’t have trouble with it due to spending a lot of time on it.

Candriathope is also the only gem which allows Legion to cast Fig Gemsplosion, so you actually have something to lose if you use up all of them, considering that there are only a few Candriathopes in the whole game.

Flag Post

Sorry, forgot to add two things that might explain it better:

1. I meant to say that not creating the golden M helm is my choice due to it only adding stats for which the necessity can be removed by farming a bit more, and getting better skills.
2. Candriathope indeed is used for fig elemental damage on Legion and, as I said, the only item which can grant the experience gain skill to everyone. I’d rather keep that.

Flag Post

Nope. I was missing 3 medals by the end of it, one of them being the distance traveled, and one of them being the one for completing the encyclopaedia — because I missed one of those albino bat thingies (can’t remember what the other medal was). So, I was considering replaying it all the way through to pick up the bat, but I fail to see how I’m going to increase my distance traveled now that I know where to go.

Current plan is: wait till 4 comes out before replaying the other 3 again. Hopefully I will have forgotten everything, resulting in a longer walk.

Flag Post

The third one will probably be “get all the other medals”. Also, I guess I just spent too much time on it. Understandable, when one masters all possible skills on all possible characters (yes, that includes fire damage +20% on Sharla who only has air spells, and the other way around).

Flag Post

The third one will probably be “get all the other medals”. Also, I guess I just spent too much time on it. Understandable, when one masters all possible skills on all possible characters (yes, that includes fire damage +20% on Sharla who only has air spells, and the other way around).

I tried to do that actually, I don’t know why, I guess when you’re grinding for exp and items, you’d want to have somebody learn something. At least, if you’re thinking about many things to do, then 1 grind doesn’t feel so redundant.

Also, it’s at the last area where you can get an item to learn the silence protection skill (and you only use Mardek). I feel weird about it not trying to have it learned by the spell casters, but I guess that will be further opened towards the next chapters.

Flag Post

Silence immunity can be taught by the sorcerer’s soul, dropped by Animus. You can actually teach that to everyone you have. But yes, you’re right, even if you forget some, you can train it in the next chapter. I’m just a completionist, wanting every possible skill on every possible character.

Flag Post

I’d like to write three essays about calculus (it is the most boring thing in the world) than to finish Mardek 3. Notice that I use the word “finish” instead of “play”. Playing Mardek is fun, of course, just like eating some chocolate. However, finishing Mardek 3 is like eating chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three months straight. It just sucks.

I do acknowledge that the maker of Mardek 3 (namely, pseudolonewolf) wants to make an epic game like those in Playstations or other console. However, this won’t work for flash games. There are new games every day. Badge of the day. Playing the recommended games on Kong AND the frontpage games on NG. Finishing up old games with new badges. Et cetera. In a nutshell, I will miss something if I put too much effort in Mardek 3. (Game consoles take ages to have new game, in comparison)

And don’t even talk about the horrendous amount of grinding in Mardek 3.

Then it calls for EBF3. It is a fun and funny game, but it can have more features. I feel unsatisfied after finishing the game. The game is so very graphically nice, and also creative. Gags and memes going everywhere. But referencing the Rule 34 with Nat’s boobs is simply not funny. However, it can just be richer in gameplay elements.

Firstly, the map can be less linear. Actually, a good attempt is made in the Kitten Kingdom Ruins level. The creator of EBF3 just need to be less lazy and work on the map more. Secondly, the interaction with the NPCs should be more in quantity, and also more in-depth. Please remember that a good storyline must use NPCs and their dialogues A LOT. Thirdly (and also finally), some items can be rarer. It is just not fun when everything cab be bought in the shop.

To sum up, the greatest thing in EBF3 is simplicity and the greatest thing in Mardek 3 is complexity. However, since complexity is not equal to horrendous amount of grinding, I would prefer EBF3.

Actually, a balance of simpliciy and complexity is achievable, as Mardek has shown us…

P.S. For all fellow Kong people, I have to tell the truth, that ratings in Kongregate does not mean a shit. Don’t you see many overrated shitty games out there, like Protector series or Cursed Treasure……

Flag Post

Mardek 3! I liked how in mardek u could chosse ur party and things, whihch is alot bettre in my opinion

Flag Post

Mardek 3. No wall of text, but I prefer a game with an actual story instead of senseless fights. I really don’t find EBF3 enjoyable.

Flag Post

day boff suck the devs reely need to lern to maik bater gaims

Flag Post

I played both games and for me both of them are fun.Like other games,both of this games are not perfect.Both of them have weakness and stuff.I’ll prefer Mardek actually because:

1.It has deeply storyline and very great gameplay.
2.Each character in Mardek series have sense of joke that make me laugh everytime reading it.
3.Unlike other RPG games that usually make the protagonist strong and powerful,Mardek prefers heal and protect instead of fight,which is suck but making it an interesting character.His friend,Deugan is the one who takes the protagonist role.(That is,being strong and powerful).
4.The best part is that most of the useful items can be found in treasures rather than buying it at the shops.

But even so,this game is not perfect,sometimes it has LONG dialog and talks which makes casual gamers annoyed.And to make it worse some of the skills need many AP points to master(example Resist Aether=50 AP needed to master).But thx to Evening Star i can master the skill within 25 battles only.And as for treasures,unlike EBF who really need times to search treasures,in Mardek, I can simply click in the map and look at yellow dots.For me,Mardek is a masterpiece and a great art that should be take as a role model to all RPG games and the creators.

As for EBF, i dont know what to really say about it.Because well I play Mardek longer than I play EBF.The only thing I like bout this game is their sexist humour and all the skills doesnt need to be master.

P.S. EBF is one of the RPG games that make the protagonist powerful.

VOTE 4 MARDEK XD

Flag Post

lol necro. And my vote goes to epic battle fantasy because of the bouncing boobs fact that i played mardek for a couple days and got bored, but played epic battle fantasy all the way through. The thing that kept me playing EBF3 was the amazing boobs rich and fun gameplay.

Flag Post

Dark arts of necromancy ftw!
Yeah, I prefer MARDEK because it has better gameplay. It seems that the only thing which people like about EBF is boobs… I mean really…

Flag Post

MARDEK:5/5
EBF3:5/5

I lke both games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sikesalicous:

lol necro. And my vote goes to epic battle fantasy because of the bouncing boobs fact that i played mardek for a couple days and got bored, but played epic battle fantasy all the way through. The thing that kept me playing EBF3 was the amazing boobs rich and fun gameplay.

Really? So many people playing EBF because of Nat’s boobs?
God.One thing to say,U guys are not A RPG games fans.