[GemCraft chapter 0] GemCraft Labyrinth.

238 posts

Flag Post

A new game which is being develop now. The release is now being delay and i hope that they will put in kongregate.

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2010/07/gemcraft-labyrinth-screenshots-and-thoughts/#more-13

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2010/08/gemcraft-news-and-things/

Flag Post

I’ll play it whether or not it’s here, but I’m trying to not get my hopes up. It’s going to be difficult to make a game better than gemcraft zero. As I understand it, labyrinth will not be “gemcraft 2” but rather, something of a filler game because they’re having difficulty finishing one of their other projects on schedule and they hope labyrinth will bring in a little extra income in the meantime. Also, looks like they’re breaking with the gemcraft tradition of only highest scores counting towards experience: you can play maps over for cumulative experience. Waves will be configurable: if you want more xp you can play with a bunch of giant monster waves. And they’re incorporating some standard tower defense concepts: towers that enhance nearby towers, and you can build your own walls which introduces juggling mechanics.

Imagine chapter zero if you could play the first couple maps with all giant waves, and you could do that as many times as you want for cumulative rather than total experience. You’d be able to max out all your skills in a couple hours pretty easily.

I’m a little concerned the game may be a quick and easy crowd-pleaser rather than a strong sequel.

Flag Post

I think it’s going to be fun for the high-score pushers in the GC community. Configurable waves + summoning higher level gems…

I just hope the basic mechanics that allow high scores (angering, mana traps, etc) are the same-ish.

Flag Post

I have a felling that Ulegh is gonna set a high score

Flag Post

some of the top gemcraft players:
ulegh (known here as vesperbot)
fractalman (me)
inthrees
conner
lankhr
…and others. remember, the ulegh videos were produced a while ago, before the R/O supertrap had been perfected.

Flag Post

hey, I’m not ulegh :) I’m a separate person from him.

Flag Post

Ulegh and lankhr is the same person, me. :)
Yes those video’s I made where from a quite some time ago. Before the the 95% of current mana pool update. And this was before I thought of slowing down the game by a thrid-party programma as well, which allow mush higher scores if used properly.
And as vesperbot said, he isn’t me. :P

I haven’t played GC0 in a long time, I still want to beat endurance, so I might try it agian some day.

And when GCL is released, I probably waste alot time on that one as well.

Flag Post

@ulegh – Did you see the other threads in the forum (all 229 waves, all 512 waves, etc.)?

Flag Post

I have seen and read abit on this forum yes. I have seen both all 229/512 waves topic and some others. :)

Flag Post

Straight from the Developers blog … Jan. 2011 release is confirmed :) I really look forward to this game … the map style of connecting to other maps (monsters can flow in from multiple directions) is neat, among all the other changes vs. Zero:

http://gameinabottle.com/blog/

YouTube video/trailer …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2JU11SuCkc

Flag Post

@Einfach

I have been reading gameinabottle blog for GCL since first info about a new version of gemcraft. I just didn´t write anyting, but PETER really surprised me. That´s why I wanted to write him thanks for his work.

of course I´m looking forward to GCL so much.
Immagine epic battles with combination use at same time.:

3times more monster, only bosses, tenfold of HPs. !!! faster run, higher armor. endurance, higher banisment for leaks. + haevy summoned every wave !!! lol

This combination will require quite high wizard level and unleashed version.

It is pitty he has no small grup of people to work on GLC.. If he had for instance 10people, It could be done during a month. We´re wainting around 6 months since he annonced work at GCL.

Flag Post

Oh, I see. There are a ton of improvements. The most striking thing in the video to me was that Swarm wave – it was actually a REAL swarm wave…

Flag Post

swarn wave even more problematic then we´re use to from GCO.
Specialy this swarn are proof that GCL is more complicated and require use brain, which is exactly what we want.

Make you sure. When I start to play GCL I won´t see any forum for that chaprer. I want to discover all tricks and tactics alone, becouse is much more entertainment then just read it somewhere.

swarns: look at speed of decresing mana when they rach orb… It can´t be 4-6mana per 1 bunishment. It must be more. Seem like harder. :)

Flag Post

But nobody discovered all the tactics themselves – like we wouldn’t have speedhack if it weren’t for Lankhr on Armor games. However, I guess it’s possible because we have an idea of what to expect and what strategies to employ.

Flag Post

Well they didn’t lie about 31 Januari and not a day sooner… I am checking internet everyday because it could be released earlyer :P
If that game is out, I turn up the music, role a spliff and have a glass of rum. And than lets hope it is as good and as big as they say it is!

Flag Post

you should know that the release is delayed 1 week, so it will be 07 february.

Flag Post

OMFG those bastards…..!!!!! I have been looking out for the 31th for weeks, I even scheduled my work diffrently… Ahh mannnnnnnnn, this really upsets me a bit. I was like YEAH BEABY, smoking drinking all the way locked up in my room. That party will have to wait :(((:(:(:(Sad:(SADDD:(:(

Flag Post

Can u believe they schedule this sh*t on Mondays everytime….? If they put it up Friday night, they’ve got everyones attention and by Monday everybody that has ever played a Flash game, will be playing! A -1 for the very very very bad information giving by GameInaBottle. I now rest my anger and will use it for good

Flag Post

careful with spilling anger, there was a reason why he doesn’t want to release the game on Friday. It won’t be a big problem if he’d release here, but he cannot, he has some kind of a contract with AG.

Flag Post

Peter Hargitai explained his reason in his blog. If he releases on a Friday and there’s a critical error, there will be noone available at Armor Games to upload the fix to their server. Makes sense to me. Imagine the uproar if it wasn’t properly playable or saveable for two days after it was released.

Gemcraft chapter zero is a masterpiece. If Labyrinth turns out to be even nearly as good, then I will be extremely happy. I wish that someone would do an interview with Game in a Bottle. I would be fascinated to hear about how they design and develop their games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ruffyl:

Peter Hargitai explained his reason in his blog. If he releases on a Friday and there’s a critical error, there will be noone available at Armor Games to upload the fix to their server. Makes sense to me. Imagine the uproar if it wasn’t properly playable or saveable for two days after it was released.

Gemcraft chapter zero is a masterpiece. If Labyrinth turns out to be even nearly as good, then I will be extremely happy. I wish that someone would do an interview with Game in a Bottle. I would be fascinated to hear about how they design and develop their games.

The good: You can now do stuff while the game is paused in Labyrinth. That’s huge.

The bad: He’s always been dissapointed with how scalable GC:0 was, in terms of firepower, angering, and mana collection – mana traps in particular. I think this functionality will be drastically curtailed, which makes me sad.

But we won’t know for sure until it’s released. I have no doubt it’s going to be a phenomenal game… I just have doubts that it’s going to be a continuation of everything I loved about GC:0.

Flag Post
The bad: He’s always been dissapointed with how scalable GC:0 was, in terms of firepower, angering, and mana collection – mana traps in particular. I think this functionality will be drastically curtailed, which makes me sad.

This seems to be the case … BUT. Remember about Deadly Traps.

Unfortunately, the scalability may not even help us that much, because it looks like angering is … Linear :(.

Flag Post

Well guys, all we can say for sure is: Peter Hargitai gave all of this a good thought and we would probably make the same decisions if we knew what was going on exactly.
Am still sad that I can ’t play it right now, but I will organise a parade in Amsterdam when it is out, thats how happy I will be to play it and thats how sure I am they make the right decisions for the gameplay.

Flag Post

linear angering? why did you make such a decision? I actually expect him to retain the angering routine as it’s in GC0, as this works pretty nicely, especially with regular style of gameplay, which concentrates on killing, not mana farming :)

inthrees, surely there will be newer things, and he indeed decided to shift the balance off manatraps to something better. But, I believe there could still be huge manatrapping, with those amplifiers adding to traps effect and gems’ specials. I expect that this game will require a slightly different approach to scoring big, especially with stationary base exp with only multipliers that can be altered. But this might be possible to score at least 100k exp at a single level over there.

Let’s just wait, people.

Flag Post
Originally posted by inthrees:

The good: You can now do stuff while the game is paused in Labyrinth. That’s huge.

But we won’t know for sure until it’s released. I have no doubt it’s going to be a phenomenal game… I just have doubts that it’s going to be a continuation of everything I loved about GC:0.

I haven’t seen the evidence that Peter Hargitai is disappointed at Gemcraft zero’s scalability, by which I assume you mean the ability to generate massive scores if you apply a speed hack so that you have time to maximise the number of mana traps and monsters, but I seriously doubt there’s any aspect of the mathematical model which disappoints or surprises the designer himself. If he has been disappointed, I would speculate that it’s been to see a relative lack of enthusiasm shown for other aspects of the game. The things I love about it – and find surprising that people don’t seem to mention very much – are that (1) every map presents a uniquely interesting natural challenge in terms of gem/beacon/wave combination, (2) there are so many different possible styles of gameplay, (3) fast progress demands continuous strategic adaptation, (4) the natural timing and dynamics are exceptionally enjoyable, (5) the dilemmas presented by diminishing returns in skill point investment, both at the level of individual skills and overall skill point accumulation, (6) the absolutely stunning artwork, (7) the subtle atmospheric aesthetic touches like the soundtrack of bleak wind and rain. I could go on and on, but hopefully I’ve made my point. If Hargitai is about to reveal a different combination of his talents in Labyrinth, then I’m fascinated to see what that will be.

Also, I think Gemcraft zero deserves attention from a wider range of gamers. Settlers of Catan (rightly) gets so much praise and glory from strategy game geeks, while Gemcraft zero equals it for design genius, but hasn’t been properly recognised as a great classic game – no doubt because it’s on Flash. Maybe Labyrinth will break through those perception barriers, and get that recognition. I hope so.