"Red" Walkthrough

22 posts

Flag Post

Howdy, the following is my first guide. It is designed to help you achieve the “Mars Defender Badge” in the game “Red.” Please note that this is how I did it, it’s not the only way, and that I don’t claim credit for the strategy. Now that that has been taken care of… here we go.

The game is pretty simple you shoot stuff to deflect the falling rocks in order to save you base. After many many smaller rocks come crashing down, a huge rock comes. This repeats itself over and over with the addition of some difficulty enhancers such as the wind. I personally prefer the space bar shooting method, but i switch over to the mouse button when it is time to “juggle.”

The secret to my strategy is to “juggle” certain rocks. By juggling I mean slowing the decent of the rock, and then keeping it in the air using well aimed shots. There are only two opportunities in each phase to do this, so don’t miss your chances. The most obvious one is the huge “boss” rock. Since no other rocks appear while this one is still in the air it uses up lots of time easily. The other kind of rock to juggle is the last small rock of each phase. It is tricky to locate the rock, but if you think the small rocks are about to stop, then try to keep a rock in the air until no more small rocks fall. This works because the huge “boss” rock wont appear while there is still a little rock in the air.

To “juggle” a rock, you must shoot it enough to keep it off the ground, but little enough to keep it from flying up off the screen. To keep the rock in the center of the screen you need to hit it on the side you don’t want it to go. For instance, if the rock it going too far right, you must shoot it on the bottom, on the right side of the lowest point on the circle. THE ONE THING THAT WILL MAKE YOUR JUGGLING DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE IS THE STUPID TURRETS!!!!!!! So at all costs avoid shooting the turret icon. On the contrary though, try to get a shield just in case.

Here is a video of me using this strategy. I didn’t make it ten minutes this time, and I messed up some..but you’ll see. There is some text I added, but it goes by quick and you might need to pause to see it.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36GuLxX9mwY" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Please reply with feedback

-kanecwk91

Flag Post

Funky, almost exactly how I did it, except the only rock I bother to juggle is the big rock as it’s alot easier and you don’t have to be alert, looking out for what the last rock is. Also, am I right in thinking that you complete the challenge by the time you get to about the 7th or 8th big rock? It would be helpful to know, other than that, good tutorial.

Flag Post

I’ve heard the big rocks come about every 100 seconds or so…..thats only what I’ve heard though so don’t quote me on that.

Flag Post

Even weird thing…

If you juggle for a long time on the first rock… difficulty seems to depend on the amount of time you’ve been playing. So the next level becomes excruciatingly hard. lol

And as you saw in the video… the big rock came down after a short volley, instead of the usual long barrage. So the 100 second formula might hold true.

Flag Post

When I tried to get it (588 seconds…bah) only 2 big rocks had come. I dunno how long I juggled them for though…

Flag Post

I can’t beleive I got the badge the hard way when you can just do this…

Nice guide. ;)

Flag Post

This is the same way I got the badge, works well.

Flag Post

Thanks a lot, its a sweet guide

Flag Post

Interesting, i just did it the old fashioned way by bouncing my shots off 1 rock into other ones. Never really used those small shots, too inneffective imho. Nice tactic though.

Flag Post

Am I the only one to do it the normal way, no juggling, with small shots and a big shot only if it was an emergency?

Flag Post

I got to about 500 seconds the normal way before I died, but in the end I discovered juggling and used it to my advantage. Found it much easier.

Flag Post

This is a great guide! Before this guide, I only got about 125 seconds. But with it, I got 700 seconds. Thanks for the help!

Flag Post

I’m glad it was able to help. Thanks for all the feedback, i have a feeling this wont be my last guide.

Flag Post

Very useful guide …. Things happened in the way you describe …. thanks.!

Flag Post

…I already know how to juggle, but WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GIVE ME 598 SECONDS???

Flag Post

>…I already know how to juggle, but WHY DOES IT HAVE TO GIVE ME 598 SECONDS???

Because you’re unlucky……better luck next time……

>So the 100 second formula might hold true.

It only works if you shoot the big rock away right after it appears.

Flag Post

I found the big rocks came about every two minutes. Might be exactly two, but the game’s clock is a little off. The power ups come at fixed intervals too, so if you are juggling, anticipate exactly when the dreaded turrets will appear. I found it varied between 30 and 45 seconds on various times I played, but for each time the interval was pretty much the same. Keep a stopwatch in front of you, or something with seconds

Flag Post

I was 3 seconds away from the badge and a tiny rock hit me.
i cant be bothered to try again, so ill do other badges

Flag Post

i got this badge for red game because i just got shield,turrets and big bullets

Flag Post

is it just me or are more and more things being called juggling.

Flag Post

its true, but what can i say, it describes a pretty specific action. what word would you like?

Flag Post

man thnx soo much.. u hav really help soo much people…even though i didnt get the badge yet.. i will keep trying ang trying thnx to ur walkthrough :)