Mutilate a Doll (Official Thread) page 4

1460 posts

Flag Post

Btw, I have made a comment on the game that tells about this thread so it would be great if you guys would rate it up so others can see it.

i suggest to write it also on the first message, it would be great to have more ideas in this thread

Flag Post

Wtf…. how come, you guys are able to shrink like swords and hammers. I can’t figure out why, someone please help.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fireballs591:

Wtf…. how come, you guys are able to shrink like swords and hammers. I can’t figure out why, someone please help.

Open up the menu at the bottom, and before you place anything go to size and lower the number, then place the hammers or swords.

Flag Post

Thanks Josh, I’ll give it a try.
What’d you think of my creations/destructions?

I like them alot.
Very nice.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JoshinatorKY:

Thanks Josh, I’ll give it a try.
What’d you think of my creations/destructions?

I like them alot.
Very nice.

Thanks, I’m working on another one involving a shotgun, but I keep crashing the game. xD
FFFF
Adobe flash plugin crashed after I finished building my brick castle… D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by JoshinatorKY:

Thanks, I’m working on another one involving a shotgun, but I keep crashing the game. xD
FFFF
Adobe flash plugin crashed after I finished building my brick castle… D:

What browser are you using? If you are using Chrome think about switching over to firefox while playing the game. I’ve played on both and firefox crashes ALOT less often.

Btw, I keep losing my grip on the hammer and sword and pretty much everything, it’s like my mouse has butter fingers :S

I’m using FF
First time in awhile the flash plugin crashed.
Then again, I did have to eat so I let my brick castle sitting there with it’s hundred or so breakable objects lag… xD

Flag Post

Messing around with saving/loading for the next few days, hopefully resulting in shareable worlds.

Flag Post

I found a cool little thing to do with your guns.

You remember how earlier I shed some light on what density does to the gun? How it affects recoil? Well if you couple that with the linear damping and the lag values, you can get an amazing spinning gun.

Simple set density to .1, your linear damping to 9999, and you lag to any number you would like and your gravity to 0. WARNING: Do not set lag to anything higher to 3 if you use the shotgun, the buck shot in the game is calculated by the lag number, so setting it to say… 10 would create an almost instant crash.

Now, hold the fire button and voila!

How this works: The lag value is the weapons fire rate value as well. In the case of the shotgun it’s the amount of pellets inside each shell.

Have fun.
~Zephry

EDIT:
Also here’s another fun one.

Hit the panic button to restart the physics engine, then make these changes.

Size: .5 to 1.5
Density: .1
Friction: 1000
Restitution: 0 or 1
Gravity: -.1 or -1
Toggle Stabilizer
When ready, drop the rag doll from the bottom.

So the stabilizer is to make the rag dolls stand up straight due to gravity. The feet point towards gravity’s tug. But the bigger the rag doll, and the denser the rag doll, the less of an effect you get. So to better the stabilizer you need to make the object smaller. That’s where the .5 comes in at, at this size the rag doll will have a complete stand with .1 density. The density is so low because the denser the object, the more pull his body has as a whole, weighing him down. You may be wondering why I set the gravity to be an upwards pull, or why I set the restitution to 1 if I want him to stand.
The negative G’s on the doll’s feet cause him to suddenly flip over, basically magnetizing him to the ceiling. In fact the flip creates so much momentum that the -.1 pull is not a slow crawl like a box would be in such a set-up. As for the restitution, when this value is changed the dolls will jump, or sometimes even skip around as if they had muscle movement.
If you want the dolls to stand up on regular ground, just do the same effect, with a .1 gravity and .1 density. However, the dolls won’t be prone to breaking and this will have a rather bad effect on any weapons you use on it. Mainly the gun recoiling, and the bullet doing no damage at all.

What I would like to see is a way to get advanced settings and set like values that directly affect attributes like breaking point of object vs. object collision, a coordinate system to set up further experiments, stuff like that.

I hope this has been a day to learn for everyone reading this. I’m off to further my searches, and expand upon some details. Also, 0rava I’m going to write that manual for you sometime this week. ^^

Flag Post

“As for the restitution, when this value is changed the dolls will jump, or sometimes even skip around as if they had muscle movement.”
Yeah, zephry i tried it and they dance around :P. It’s pretty funny when you do two of them. Yeah its even funnier when you cut one of them in half, it’s just a dancing torso ^^

Flag Post
Originally posted by fireballs591:

“As for the restitution, when this value is changed the dolls will jump, or sometimes even skip around as if they had muscle movement.”
Yeah, zephry i tried it and they dance around :P. It’s pretty funny when you do two of them. Yeah its even funnier when you cut one of them in half, it’s just a dancing torso ^^

Yeah. xD
It’s odd though, if you delete the legs while it is standing on the ceiling, the ragdoll just falls down and ends up being stabilized towards the floor.

Flag Post

Stabilizer is just forces applied to fitting body parts. Legs go down, head goes up. Guess I should find a way to check if the whole ragdoll is intact, so the head doesn’t go all anti-gravity if you detach it…

Also, it tries to balance towards pull. Gravity 0 and Wind 10 would try to make it try to stand on the right wall, for example.

In other news, got encoding working on save/load lines, bringing the length of the save-line down about 30%. Next up: saving rotations.

Flag Post

have you already considered the idea of making a simulation button while working on save/load system?
( I don’t even know if it is possible)

Flag Post

Simulation button? What would it do?

(Saving rotations working, got to tweak a bit here and there and sharing worlds will be completely functional.)

Flag Post

i don’t know how exactly explain(my English is not so good)… it would make everything work normally but once the game is paused it would make you return to the previous situation

Flag Post

That’s actually pretty much what I’m working on currently.

You’ll be able to save your world into a piece of text, and load it later (or share with friends).

Flag Post

ah, fine.
I thought that saving feature was a bit different… this changes everything XD

Flag Post

Save a Doll update:

- Added save/load-menu on B
- Added quicksave on C
- Added quickload on V
- Added minigun on 7
- Added static on O

- Fixed weapons shooting from wrong position if they weren’t of size 1
- Fixed bullets not disappearing if they hit other weapons.
- Fixed being able to drag objects under menu while mouse was on menu

- Modified flail into a whip because the ball was causing mad things to happen
- Modified gear object to consist of two gears… Again.
- Modified spawned gears to start spinning according to wind (even 1 will make them go mad)
- Modified sniper bullets
- Modified flamer “bullets”
- Modified textfields to unfocus if you move mouse outside the menu

- Disabled help by default. Press Enter to show it.
- Disabled sounds while I work on them.

Notes about saving:

• Worlds load in paused mode. Press P to start.
  • Saving a world will save options and toggles plus items' positions and rotations, but NOT their properties. (size, density, etc.)
  • While properties are not actually saved, you can set the properties before loading to make them apply to all loaded items.
  • Only intact objects save.
  • You can only save one brick wall.
  • Brick wall is only saved if enough of the bricks are intact (its position is set by the brick in the bottom left corner).
  • Ragdoll is saved by the middle-part of torso.
  • There's slight movement I couldn't eliminate when loading some (rotated) objects due to the way they are created to the world.
  • Weapons are loaded pointing at center of stage (left or right), even if you save it otherwise.

Report all bugs, I’m on fairly new territory here so there should be plenty.

Known bugs:

• if you unfocus, keys might not work again. Fix by pressing panic button or reloading the page. Will look into it asap.
  • if your weapons face left, they’ll load weirdly

Flag Post

Some random examples from beta testers:

Press B ingame, paste one of the following lines in there, press Load. Then unpause to start the simulation.

• eNotzEELwjAMBeA/9BypMKz0JDhEkDncDl6t7daxMRXdrT/ebCkh73u55Fo1lOVQUETEAQ5kaeRSqxRvh1P5KLHsNI+j6SfoGZuticei9i+0FsoZS/ABZPROjMW92g8IHXe2+ya12A5JEr0T3TuZi88g2t/yszlfwgfBc/8DgjMzGQ==
  • eNotisEKwkAMRH9oKNllrZQ9CVYvpS3qwWtSKghVWKW3/XgTt4TM42UyjDeqdnBwRKQBDVTbFHN/Uj51w7SCZ1BsGPxQavBXKQmczOdyN7e/qd74LGRf+uZVmC+Hc889bN/rskQJELLi2F7FI3zgU8ztfRSHsDf5AW9dLws=
  • eNp9i80KwjAQhF9okI2FSJtTweCtVqvoNcWkkcb+gbc8vBvrWYb5doedPdYXARYRMcDA5qc1ie+k2JyusofJQSqey0NlKiQP7xBU5rB7wam41022oBXYzkousJ7bE+wzPel7/QjwHe92hE8nN6853nTZBjP0xX/KDrkDFR/vyTRn
  • eNrzDwgx1AFCAwMDIKEDJHT0oBDCMwTTBjVuPv5JZjqpRjoG1jVBju5+iX46IJxXmpNjbVGkk2gJknBxDU4y10nJ0dE1KrSucY0IMDHUycgFyYS7OiblJOZlW+EnU/J1LEx0jAqtAKU4K3o=

Flag Post

this is simply great
thank you!
the only thing i can say is that swords act a bit too oddly

Flag Post

Fixed sword’s center of mass being magically offset.

Flag Post

what are going to do now?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Athragon:

what are going to do now?

I was thinking of trying to get dynamic sounds working (script-generated sounds on collisions and stuff), but after searching around for an hour with no results, don’t think I’ll be able to. For now atleast.

So I’m probably going to re-design the menu so I’ll be able to fit more objects in there. Then release an object pack at some point.

Flag Post

can you make customizable key binding?

Flag Post

could you also add a nail for the next update so you can for example nail a sword’s handle to the background and it could spin around that certain point

Flag Post

Keymapping and joints (hinges) are both planned future additions.