This was another great guide written up on NewGrounds by Elvarg:
Tips for doing well in final round:
- Throughout the game, ONLY invest in speed/armor bonuses (equally). You should have at least 12 of each by final level. If you can’t survive without ally/health bonuses, keep practicing, because you can replenish those in the final round, but not your armor/health. Don’t sacrifice a permanent bonus for a temporary one. And faster asteroid spinning bonus is pretty much useless by the last level, so don’t bother wasting a bonus opportunity on it.
In final round:
- Unless you see a blue or green mine, always hold shift, so you can fly freely and kill ships. Remember, you must kill the ship yourself to gain health and size, if your allies kill it it doesn’t count. So fly your asteroid alone and just go for the biggest bulk of the ships.
- Don’t bother dodging bullets, you’ll hurt yourself more trying to dodge than just going for the ship that shoots them. So just try to kill as much ships as fast as possible, yourself.
- If you see any red mines, go for them ASAP on your own, or they will obliterate your asteroids. Also, needless to say, immediately pick up any asteroid bonus you get.
- Your asteroids meanwhile will bounce around the map on their own, allowing you to clear a large area of ships which are otherwise hard to get (because you only aim for the concentrations yourself. This especially applies to the dodgy yellow ships – never bother to waste time chasing them with your main, just go for the white ones and the yellow ones will get hit by an ally sooner or later).
- When you see blue or green mines, release shift to call your asteroids to circle you, then use them to destroy the mine. Don’t wait till those they get destroyed on their own, because the last thing you want is a ton of ships/repel devices spawning with you unable to reach them because of the mine. You’ll lose a few asteroids, but it sure beats losing your own health. If there is more than one red/green mine, OR there is one REALLY big one, “throw” your allies at them instead (get far from them, start flying towards them with your allies summoned, then at last moment hold shift and change your course. But only do so if really necessary, because it slows you down from killing ships which should be your main task.
- Size is as critical as health. With a large size, you can wipe a huge area of the map in one go. The only downside is that its harder to dodge blue/green mines. A little-known ADDED bonus is that if you have a huge size and then get hit to a smaller size, your lost size result in extra bonus allies! So that’s another important reason to try and kill as many ships on your own, without ally help.
- Destroy repel devices as soon as they spawn. With 12+ speed bonus, you should be able to fly fast enough to crash a repel device despite its forces. But if you allow many of them to stack, their repel power stacks too, so you are screwed, in which case you need to use the good old “throw” ally trick to get rid of them.
- Ally bonus squares: Highest priority, get them ASAP unless you can’t without being blown up by a blue/green mine (in which case it’s not worth the damage)
- Blue/green mines: Second highest priority, summon allies around you (don’t hold shift) and get those destroyed by allies without taking damage yourself; or throw your allies at them in particular.
- Red mines: Third highest priority, Kill yourself, allies released using shift
- Repel devices: Fourth highest priority, kill those any way you want, usually you only need ally help if they outrepel you on your own. Point is, don’t let them stack.
- White ships: Normal priority, kill them yourself (asteroids released with shift), go for the bulk of them.
- Yellow ships: Lowest priority: Ignore unless they are in your way anyways, your released asteroids will get them eventually.
I got over 10k killed ships, and probably could get more, using these tactics.
Happy spaceship hunting!