[GemCraft Labyrinth] My first (and last) 1337 battle

27 posts

Flag Post

Well, I finally pulled it off, though in the easiest difficulty, and with a level 400+ character. But that took so long I think I’m done trying for that. After about wave 300 or so, you stop measuring performance in frames per second and instead it’s more like seconds per frame. In my case, about 2. The battle took over 5 hours at that frame rate. Good thing I had a book with me. Is there some shortcut to just send ALL waves now? The most annoying thing was having to keep clicking the wave bar every 12 waves or so to summon them all. Otherwise, I could’ve just walked away and let it play itself out after that point.

So – level G10, I ended up with 2 Grade 21 LYO traps and a 3rd Grade 21 LYO in a tower, all surrounded by Grade 18-20 amps. (I demolished the tower nearest the entrance so I could get 6 around the traps. Well, 4 around the one on the edge, 6 around the one just past it.) The tower gem was probably unnecessary, but it looked like some monsters were occasionally making it through my traps, so I felt safer with it there. First and only time I’ve gotten every single battle amulet in one fight. (Except destroy all monster bases, since there aren’t any there.)

Anyhow, probably won’t be doing that again, at least not until I get a MUCH better computer. That was excruciating. And the worst part is I didn’t even gain any experience from it, because I’d previously played that level in the hardest difficulty, though only to wave 30 or so. (Just long enough to kill the shadow.) That battle only took about 10 minutes. This one took 30 times longer, gave me every possible amulet, and still wound up being worth less experience. What a rip-off.

Flag Post

Frame rate really is a problem, but take a look at this thread.
Those tips should help considerably; the best things in my opinion are turning off info panels, taking out any Orange gems once you don’t need them anymore, and, obviously, turning the quality down to the lowest and turning off all the special effects.
Should go moderately fast with that.

Flag Post

You can read the various guides about how do do endurance, it give some good tips.

Here’s how I do it at lvl 40. Turn down the Rendering Quality and VFX Effect off. If thing slow down later you can press “i” to turn off the information pannel and pause and turn it on if you need to combine gem and stuffs.

Battle setting are Quadruple number of monsters, faster waves and Giant Only. As you gain level you can add more battle mutiplier to get more exp. you can rack up a lot of exp this way.

Start off by getting a LYO gem going, put it in a tower. After you got a lvl 4-5 LYO in a tower, start build amplifier around it. Once you upgrade the one in the tower to lvl 14-15 and the gem in the amplifier to lvl 10. start to build a trap and 6 amplifier around it near where the monster spawn. Put the gem from the tower into it and move the gem from the amplifier over. keep upgrading til the gem reach lvl 25-26. once it reach that point nothing should get pass it. I summon monster all the way until lvl 150-200 using higher and higher lvl gem as they become afforable.

Once you got a lvl 25 LYO gem trap with 6 amplifer around it, pretty much just keep press “n”, i put a wad of paper on top of “n” and put my TV remote on it to hold it down. If you have the trap at no more than 1 tile away from where they spawn, there should be no more than 20-30 monsters on screen at a time and all 1337 waves should go by quickly.

Flag Post

Turning the info box off (i) reduces the lag a lot. You were probably hovering the the mouse over a gem and keeping the info box on. Then after that you can just walk away and come back 30mins to 1 hour and have it finished.

You only have to manage your game until you get a lvl 21 damager gem (l+y+something) and just surround it with some amps.

After turning the info box off, I just usually spam summon wave after getting my killing gem to my target lvl (22). Since my lvl 22 gem can clear em off (I used giants, 2x hp, max +monsters, giants only and the extra stuff except armored), the monsters do not reach the 3rd tile (they get creamed before being shown in the screen xD) so they don’t lag me anymore.

But even with these my endurance runs still lasted around 45 mins to 1 hour…

Flag Post

Yeah, I know all the techniques for reducing lag by lowering the render quality. Believe me, I’ve got everything at the bare minimum, but this machine is still slow as dirt after the first few hundred waves. And I was definitely avoiding hovering over gems – there’s a pretty obvious slow-down when you do that. I get 2 seconds per frame without any info-boxes showing. With info-boxes, it’s more like 4 seconds. Absolutely horrible. And when I try to click on anything or press any hot-key, it takes about 30 seconds before it responds. Basically, I had to pause in order to do anything productive. The number of times I was just trying to duplicate a gem or something and just kept hitting ‘D’ and nothing happened, only for me to suddenly end up with a whole rack of them instead of just the 4 or 8 I wanted… It may be a good thing I was on the easiest settings, because there’s less margin for error on hard settings.

Flag Post

Flip to another tab. Makes lag much, much better- as long as you can trust your gems to do the job.

Flag Post

I typically only play the endurance maps up to the point where monsters reach max HP, that is… without WGTF and Increased Armor settings, all you need is keep your manafarm until your towergem (YLO) is G22 with 7-8 G18 amps of the same makeup.

Without summoning, that gem will kill off any monster before it enters the map. (With WGTF and Increased Armor, you’ll probably need G28 and corresponding Amps)

Now, at that point, there should be only 1 battle amulet left to achieve: Let no monster touch your orb.

Since summoning does not give extra XP (only use it for mana to get your setup done sooner), all you need to do is fast forward the remaining waves by clicking the lowest wave every 3 seconds or so.

Wave 200-1337 takes about 5 minutes then, but the real play is in getting to that level where you can start fastforwarding.

TL;DR:
Monsters on screen and lime components in traps cause massive lag. Upgrade your tower to kill them offscreen.

Flag Post

press CTRL on the keyboard while clicking (just once) somewhere onto the wave bar to send ALL! have fun! xD

Flag Post

Only in hacked version.
I suggest using “mouserecorder pro 2” for calling waves.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lurlock:

Is there some shortcut to just send ALL waves now? The most annoying thing was having to keep clicking the wave bar every 12 waves or so to summon them all. Otherwise, I could’ve just walked away and let it play itself out after that point.

drop something on the N key

Flag Post

Pressing ‘i’ really helps. For me, a 1337 endurance doesn’t take longer than an hour, but then, I have an extremely good computer and almost no lag.

Sure, summoning the waves is a pain in the butt, but once you’ve reduced the lag to almost nothing, it is doable.

Flag Post

drop something on the N key

I personally place the back end of a fork on the N key and prop the front against my external hard drive.

I’ve heard a stack of pennies works too.

Flag Post

lol… guys just look for macro programs so that your keyboard keys would live longer lives. xD

Flag Post

At the cost of not sending waves continously.

Flag Post

Heh. The ‘W’ key on my keyboard is already completely unreadable. The letter’s been worn off by constant use in nearly every game. (Not this one so much, but anything that uses WASD as primary controls.)

Flag Post

Well, if you ever want to try your hand at another Endurance map, this video helped me LOADS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg64avAheUc (Thanks MrGremlion!)

Flag Post

Yeah, I used that video for reference as well. Nothing there I couldn’t reproduce if my system had the chops for it, but the lag is just so bad even with all the monsters off-screen that it’s nearly unplayable. (I assume this video is sped way up too – I know 5 hours is pretty slow, but NOBODY does it in 14 minutes. At least not without speed-hacks or something.)

Flag Post

Well it’s called endurance afterall.

Test your patience it does young jedi.

Flag Post

Of course, but it is doable in about an hour or so.
I run this game on a laptop that’s pretty far from current, so I know how bad the lag can get.
Usually, the lag starts when I oversummon, (more than 100 per wave extra), so I cant nearly expand my manapool as fast as MrGremlion in the video, but still, I can duplicate gems costing 14million mana by around wave 70 or so.
At that time, I just go to normal play mode (not fast forwarded, it makes no difference at that point really) to create my tower gem, around G25 (still doing the regular endurance without Armor/WGTF ticked on) and fill it up with 8 amps. Once I have that set up, I can just put it back to double speed and start clicking the bottom wave a couple 100 times. With a gem like that, no monster will ever make it on the map and with no monsters, there’s hardly any lag

Flag Post

It’s been said before, but the game really speeds up once you get a gem powerful enough to kill all the enemies before they enter the screen. I ended up with a level 31 gem with 8 amps, and I was summoning waves as fast as I could. Nothing got on screen, and the game lag wasn’t bad.

Flag Post

Ugh. I thought 31 would be good enough from the posts I’ve seen, but it wasn’t. I finally built up a 31 (on H11) and put it into a tower at around wave 160. (Took me 3 hours just to get to that point because of horrible lag.) Then I figured it’d be safe to just leave it. (Because it was still lagging like crazy.) I came back a few hours later to find myself dead around wave 200. My 8 amp gems were all grade 28. Everything YLO. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong still. I wonder if the lag I’m getting is somehow causing this setup not to be sufficient. Like the monsters are somehow able to move faster relative to the gem firing because one gets slowed down more by lag than the other. (It shouldn’t be that way – so long as everything is based on real-time rather that system clock speed, but I’ve seen this sort of thing happen before in other games.)

Flag Post

Ugh. I thought 31 would be good enough from the posts I’ve seen, but it wasn’t. I finally built up a 31 (on H11) and put it into a tower at around wave 160. (Took me 3 hours just to get to that point because of horrible lag.) Then I figured it’d be safe to just leave it. (Because it was still lagging like crazy.) I came back a few hours later to find myself dead around wave 200. My 8 amp gems were all grade 28. Everything YLO. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong still. I wonder if the lag I’m getting is somehow causing this setup not to be sufficient. Like the monsters are somehow able to move faster relative to the gem firing because one gets slowed down more by lag than the other. (It shouldn’t be that way – so long as everything is based on real-time rather that system clock speed, but I’ve seen this sort of thing happen before in other games.)

The only three things I can think of are:
1) Your skills, namely Radiance, the Lime and Yellow Masteries, and Recharge, directly affect how high the gem grade will need to be; I’m not sure how high these should be for a Grade 31 to work.
2) Grade 31 might work only with same grade amps.
3) Your gem proportions. From what I’ve heard, the lime shouldn’t go much above 50 targets, and obviously, if you don’t need the mana from the orange, you should squash out the third component.

Flag Post

All relevant skills were maxed. (My level is in the 600s now, I can afford it.) Now the three uncapped skills are another issue. Focus and Resonance are at around 120 each, and Replenish is at about 160. I’m not really sure what’s the best setup for those. The one issue I see here might be the gem proportions – going by other people’s posts, it seemed the general consensus was to make it mostly YL with less of the O. This gem was very definitely hitting more than 50 targets – more like 300. As for getting grade 31 into all of the amps, it took me 3 hours just to get ONE grade 31 (and 8 grade 28s). Building NINE of them would be ridiculous. Are you suggesting that maybe the stress should be on YO in initially rather than YL, and keep the L component as the smallest of the three? And what do you mean by “squash the third component”? How can you reduce the amount of a color in a gem without rebuilding it from scratch?

Flag Post

when i did it at the hardest setting i was level 707. i had build up to a lvl 35 gem, with 8 lvl 32’s in the amps (possibly a bit too much). It will take quite some time to finish building it, but for me it brought me to around level 1450.
To speed it up: lower your graphic settings and press I to hide the info box
set mana pool to auto-extend, anger all visible waves and minimize the window for a few minutes, this will provide a nice boost to your max mana
And before you go afk while having the N key held down, make sure your gem can handle the hp cap on the monsters

to squash the orange component, combine a same grade pure yellow, pure lime or y/l to your gem, it will lower the orange part of it

Flag Post

All relevant skills were maxed. (My level is in the 600s now, I can afford it.) Now the three uncapped skills are another issue. Focus and Resonance are at around 120 each, and Replenish is at about 160. I’m not really sure what’s the best setup for those. The one issue I see here might be the gem proportions – going by other people’s posts, it seemed the general consensus was to make it mostly YL with less of the O. This gem was very definitely hitting more than 50 targets – more like 300. As for getting grade 31 into all of the amps, it took me 3 hours just to get ONE grade 31 (and 8 grade 28s). Building NINE of them would be ridiculous. Are you suggesting that maybe the stress should be on YO in initially rather than YL, and keep the L component as the smallest of the three? And what do you mean by “squash the third component”? How can you reduce the amount of a color in a gem without rebuilding it from scratch?

The “ideal” proportions for a kill gem in a tower is to have the power of the lime component at around 50 hits, the yellow as far as it goes, and the third component, which could be orange, so small the gem doesn’t even have that ability (e.g. having one grade 1 purple in a Grade 15 upgraded only with two other colors, which means 1 in 32,768). This means you get the Triple Gem bonuses, while barely affecting your two main abilities.
The way you mess with the proportions is by specifically creating the gem you want to combine with instead of just hitting “U”; for example, if your Y/L already hits 60 targets, you could combine it with a pure yellow of same grade, rather than a dual, which would also increase the Lime; this way, you prioritize one component over the other.
Similarly, if you have a Y/L/O and you want to “squash out” the orange, you could combine with only Y/L duals (or pures of either) until the mana gather ability disappears. Problem with this is that if your kill gem IS your mana gem, then you can’t do this; with a separate mana farm, though, you can.
If you’re already too high a Grade before doing this, though, it might be nearly impossible to do without starting from scratch.