[GemCraft Labyrinth] Rank all gems on efficiency(and why)

36 posts

Flag Post

for me:

red(damagae increment)
lime(chain hit more enemies)
poison(hp eater)
purple
shock
yellow
orange

what about you?

Flag Post

orange is easily one of the best. If your doing anything that isn’t just running through a stage, red easily loses its advantages. Poison is easily the worst. 900 damage over 5seconds at grade 12 or so is pathetic.

Flag Post

IMHO:
early on: red>lime>yellow>orange>purple~cyan>blue>green.
after 2nd pylon or level 50: red=lime=yellow>orange>purple~cyan~blue>green.
after 3rd pylon or level 80: yellow>lime>orange>red~cyan>purple~blue>green.
after a won endurance (premium only) or level 200: yellow~lime~orange>cyan~blue>>red~purple>green.

Flag Post

look here for some interesting stats abour the effectiveness and efficiency of gems.

Flag Post

1. Lime: 10/10. Above grade 7 or so, useful, if not necessary, in any combo. At low levels, the perfect gem against swarms. Considering that it will be part of almost any gem you have, best gem out there.
2. Yellow: 9/10. Above grade 12 easily the hardest hitter. Having your damage multiplied thousands of times is simply god-like.
3. Orange: 8/10. Bad choice early on since it takes some time to get back the investment. However at high enough levels it will (especially in a trap with lime) be by far the easiest way to ramp up your manapool. Which is critical for getting high grade gems, and the pool modifier makes up for the high costs. I feel it needs about grade 12 to become useful and grade 21+ O/L to become great.
4. Blue: 6.5/10. Slowing can always be useful, and blue is the most reliable choice for this. At high grades you can make the monsters take pretty much forever to reach your orb. Also useful for bunching up enemies to be massacred with lime, and some use to keep manafarms fed.
5. Cyan: 6/10. Mainly an emergency stop. More certain than blue, but useless once a monster gets resistant, which may the right when you need it most.
6. Red: 6/10. Best gem at low levels and pretty much manages itself, but gets outdated soon because you can start most levels with a grade 7 thanks to wild gem selling. At which point yellow can compete, and around grade 10-11 yellow will probably be much better already. Above that, red just gets swamped.
7. Purple: 3/10. Would be very nice and useful if it weren’t almost entirely useless. Low grades do almost nothing. At high grades, it’s easier to let yellow just deal some extra damage. Base rule: if anything lives long enough for purple to strip its armor, you’re not killing fast enough.
8. Green: 2/10. Its bonus damage is outright lousy to start with, and basically has a five second cooldown per monster. It’s pretty much useful only if you’re allergic to overkill battle amulets, or want to do things the hard way.

Flag Post

Oreno5267, you forgot about slow

for me:
(grade 1-4)
yellow>purple>red>orange=lime>cyan=blue>green
(grade 5-7)
yellow>purple=red=orange=lime>cyan>blue>green
(grade 8-9)
yellow>orange>lime>red>purple>cyan=blue>green
(grade 10-11)
yellow=orange>lime>red=purple=cyan>blue>green

please note that was only simple, theres more below

for me: grade 1: yellow(6.5/10)>red(4.2/10)>lime(4.3/10)>orange(3.7/10)>blue(2.1/10)=purple=cyan>green(0.9/10)
grade 2:
yellow(7.1/10)>lime(5/10)>orange(4.4/10)=red>blue(2.4/10)=cyan=purple>green(1/10)
grade 3: yellow(8/10)>orange(5.2/10)=lime>red(4.6/10)>blue(2.7/10)=cyan=purple>green(1.1/10)
grade 4: yellow(8.7/10)>orange(5.7/10)>lime(5.5/10)>red(4.6/10)>blue(2.8/10)=cyan=purple>green(1.2/10)
grade 5: yellow(9.2/10)>orange(6.6/10)>lime(5.9/10)>red(4.9/10)>blue(3.1/10)=purple=cyan>green(1.3/10)
grade 6: yellow(9.9/10)>orange(7.5/10)>lime(6.1/10)=red>blue(3.3/10)=purple>cyan(3.2/10)>green(1.4/10)

yellow gets awesome at high grades, and the same thing as
orange, lime is fine, red and purple get far worse, though i don’t like 20+armor armored mobs with 4k+hp, cyan, blue, and green are really bad(there at the very back of my list)
i never went any higher
(Oreno, poison is VERY bad, red is okish, its special goes up by only 9% of the current amount per grade! yellow and orange the best ones, lime is just as good, but i play armored only(so its worse because of the slow and there 8-16 of them each wave)…)

I’LL ADD MORE LATER

Flag Post

An idea I had was a Lime-Yellow-Red(that order) because the high chain hit rate hits a lot of enemies, the yellow has a chance to do a lot of damage, and the red increases damage every once and a while, but you don’t want it to be too high.

Flag Post

I can’t really rank them. They’re all useful in their own ways, right now I’m doing a hardest setting endurance run and I’m using blue, cyan, orange, purple, lime, and yellow. Essentially everything except red and green. Yellow is useful for damage, lime makes killing massive numbers easier, so angering is more effective, purple kills armor so instead of your yellows damage being 62000 * 536 it’s 138000 * 536 (both are minimums, the damage is increased due to my purple trap getting rid of all their armor, it’s a p-l-b with 6 p-l-b amps) Cyan is incredible for mana traps because it gives the trap so much more time to get mana from each monster, blue is useful for stalling when their shock resistance is already really high (like in my armor trap) and orange is a necessity for any endurance run. Red and green become useless at incredibly low grades, so I don’t use them, but until the 2nd or 3rd pylon red works great, green is always crap though. I guess if I had to rate it it would look like: Yellow=Lime=Orange=Blue=Cyan=Purple>Red>Green. It’s really just impossible

Flag Post
Originally posted by penguinthingguy:

An idea I had was a Lime-Yellow-Red(that order) because the high chain hit rate hits a lot of enemies, the yellow has a chance to do a lot of damage, and the red increases damage every once and a while, but you don’t want it to be too high.

Again, this has been discussed already. Stats have been presented and argued and, to make a long story short, the power of the yellow special (Multiple Damage) that is “stolen” by adding in the red component usually renders the gem weaker. So general consensus is that adding in the Bloodbound special is usually not worth it.

Flag Post

G12 LYR gem, about equal parts, but in that order:
Minimum damage: 8408, 70% chance to hit 5 targets
Maximum damage: 31426, same multiple target chance
38% of total kills goes to damage

G12 YLR gem, with the red component squished:
Minimum damage: 10940, 97% chance to hit 5 targets
Maximum damage: 34980, same multiple target change
2% of total kills goes to damage

→ The LYR gem needs 6663 kills to catch up to the minimum damage of the YLR with red squished.

Originally posted by penguinthingguy:

Why don’t you want damage to be high…?

Flag Post

you can add as little red as you want, how does increasing the base damage to a yellow gem that has x1000 damage not be a much bigger benefit than adding more yellow? i have gems that have 10s of thousands of kills at the end of endurance runs.

Flag Post

The LYR gem needs 6663 kills to catch up to the minimum damage of the YLR with red squished.

Why would you add more red and wait for all those kills when adding more yellow is clearly so much more effective and faster?

Flag Post

nerdyboy, armor reduction works in another way. Say you have a 10000×100 yellow attacking a monster with 5000 armor. The damage dealt will be (10000×100)-5000, that is 995000, while your logic gives the damage as (10000-5000)x100=500000. So purple is still unneeded while you can pump grade of your yellow a little higher.

Flag Post

I meant the red component shouldn’t be too large, not the damage.

Flag Post

you have gems racking up kills, to me it just seems logical. tons of crit or a little less with more damage

Flag Post

okay. have fun waiting around for kills when you could just have multiplied your damage way higher. It isn’t a little less. It’s a lot less crit, with a little more damage.

Flag Post

Barclin, simple thought experiment.
1) What is the primary thing that helps red, and the primary thing that helps yellow or lime? Red: kills. Yellow/Lime: upgrades. So when is red the better candidate (meaning, worth replacing part of the Y/L gem)? Answer: when you have a lot of kills per upgrade, which implies, low mana per kill.

2) Now, if we ignore other colors, how to make any reddish gem as strong as possible? Obviously the ones thing you can do is upgrading it as fast as possible. So you’ll need as much mana as possible.

Which is pretty much the opposite of what red needs to outshine anything else. Which then implies red is good compared to other gems when the second conclusion is irrelevant, namely, when upgrading is simply not (or barely) possible, while you do get kills. When is that? Extremely put, swarms only, maximal base monster modifier, maps too short for a manafarm to get going.

Flag Post

lime
yellow
blue
purple
orange
cyan
red
green

Flag Post

After Wizard Level 70: lime = yellow = orange >> blue = cyan >>>>>>>>>> red/green/purple

But in some very early stages with a weak wizard red or green can be really helpful. The first time i did B8 (the spiral level with several traps already built) a few grade 1 or 2 green gems were almost enough to beat the level.

After the wizard got stronger I started to use almost exclusively l/y as “killer” gems and l/o as manafarms (non-premium player) … b/l and c/l help me feeding the manafarm while r, g and p are trash (with wizard > 70) in my opinion.

Flag Post

I’m talking about endurance when you have 15000 + kills. It seems apparent though that red is just simply not strong too keep up with yellow, which makes no sense.

Flag Post

I’m still noobish, but personally I find green to be fairly useful, early on, when put into traps…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Perrin3088:

I’m still noobish, but personally I find green to be fairly useful, early on, when put into traps…

Well, yes, you’re right, but it’s more newbish than noobish IMO. (With a Newb being someone that’s new to the game and still learning and developping and a Noob being someone that doesnt care about learning the game and just wants to be spoonfed with walkthroughs and cheats etc)
Later on (when you can unlock Armored Only and have a few skillpoints to spend to increase starting mana and to improve Bloodbound gems a bit), you’ll start to love Bloodbound gems. Even later you’re going to start to like Lime more and more and in the end, you’ll appreciate Yellow a whole lot too.

Flag Post

Early Levels & Grades:
Towers: Red, Lime, Yellow, Orange, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple
Traps: Lime, Red, Yellow, Orange, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple

Later Levels & Grades:
Towers: Yellow, Lime, Orange, Cyan, Purple, Blue, Red, Green
Traps: Lime, Yellow, Orange, Cyan, Purple, Red, Blue, Green

Overall best: Yellow, Lime, Orange & Lime, Yellow, Orange.

As far as later levels and grades go, the non-Y/L/O gem combinations are extremely lackluster. While Purple is arguably the most worthwhile of the five, it doesn’t matter much when the trillions and quadrillions of damage you’re doing are hardly hampered by the armor the creatures have, and how quickly they die leaves it and every other color bar red effectively useless. Red is unique in that it would be potent if it scaled better. Since it doesn’t, the number of kills it needs to be a match for a Y dominant equivalent level and color configuration gem is absurd, and thus invalidates it as a wise choice.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

nerdyboy, armor reduction works in another way. Say you have a 10000×100 yellow attacking a monster with 5000 armor. The damage dealt will be (10000×100)-5000, that is 995000, while your logic gives the damage as (10000-5000)x100=500000. So purple is still unneeded while you can pump grade of your yellow a little higher.

Oh, really? Oh… I think I’ll take that out of my strategy then, I thought it took it out of the damage and then multiplied, I feel like I read that somewhere, guess not :P Thanks for clearing that up, that’ll free up some early game mana :D

Flag Post

I want Prismatic Gems back. It’s so much harder to do in GCL than it was in GC0 (since most levels only have 2 colors, or 4 for the Pylon levels, plus you don’t get free gems from masteries anymore), so it should really be worth something.