ubisoft offers "free" games

31 posts

Flag Post
ubisoft released the following "free"(ad sponsored) via file planet: "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time":http://www.fileplanet.com/180411/180000/fileinfo/Prince-of-Persia:-Sands-of-Time-Full-Game-%5BFree-Game---Ad-Supported%5D "FarCry":http://www.fileplanet.com/180410/180000/fileinfo/Far-Cry-Full-Game-%5BFree-Game---Ad-Supported%5D "Rayman Raving Rabbids":http://www.fileplanet.com/180428/180000/fileinfo/Rayman-Raving-Rabbids-%5BFree-Game---Ad-Supported%5D

Flag Post

…Rayman Raving Rabbids? Why did I buy the PS2 CD, I wonder?

Flag Post

I don’t believe it.

Flag Post

Looks fairly legit, though I haven’t tried it yet. None of those are strong sellers on the PC any more (heck, I think PoP and FarCry are both on Gametap), and this sounds like an intriguing new way to fund games. I know studies have shown that in-game ads do work, so I applaud Ubisoft for attempting to experiment with it. I say enjoy it while you can, and just hope that it helps keep game costs down in the future. :)

Flag Post

They are legit. I was playing sands of time a little while ago. The catch is that they are ad-supported. However, there is a crack to get around the ads. See link: removed

Flag Post

About the workaround to get the ads out.Is this punishable by law(basically illegal)

Flag Post

What he has done, seems to be having cracked the exe file from each game to remove the ads from it, which is very much illegal. So yeah, I’d say that that workaround are indeed punishable by law.

Flag Post

Thats pretty low to crack it, after all they are not charging for the game.

Flag Post

Need to be a US resident X.x

Flag Post

That’s cool. Cake Mania did the same thing, too.

Flag Post

Also fileradar.com has other free full games to download, far cry and others. Many mods and demos, patches.

Flag Post

The ads went out of mine after about a month. The games have been free for at least 2 months or something like that. Even though FarCry is an older game it’s worth playing if you like FPS’s. It’s free so the only thing you lose is some of your broadband limit. Oh, Hitaro, you can just say you’re a US resident and stick in whatever Zip code you want when you register, I did it and it worked.

Flag Post

Didn’t it only go for one weekend?

Flag Post

i can’t wait for you guys to make the crack to get around paying for the games on kongregate when that happens.

Flag Post

@notshi: Be careful how you generalize. bocochoco was the one who posted the crack link and gtr2222 was the only other one with a possibly questionable post.

Flag Post

maybe so but “don’t expect us to pay for your games” is certainly the attitude in effect.

Flag Post

Doesn’t sound at all like that to me, with the exception of a few posters. I think it’s an interesting idea, and of course big games like that are a business like any other, so who knows maybe they found out they could make more money off a product by trying more creative marketing, like giving it away for free after they’ve already sold all their boxed products and people stopped buying them. Case in point: I wouldn’t go out and buy these games myself at the local EB, but I might download and play one, just to check it out. But how can I sleep at night? I figure the programmers and the artists and the sales people already got their cut, so now I’m just taking it all in — including the ads ;)

Flag Post

maybe so but “don’t expect us to pay for your games” is certainly the attitude in effect.

Based on what? These companies are the ones who decided their games under an ad-model, just because a few people are interested doesnt mean you should start bashing them.

These companies want this to generate interest, that is the point. They are appealing to those who otherwise cant or wont buy the games. It would be immature for them to release the games this way and then insult everyone who showed an interest, which is basically what you’ve come in here and done. Your comment was both baseless and trollish; except in the case of the fool who posted the crack link.

Flag Post

so i point at a specific incident and you say, “show me the evidence”.

if i show you another link, will you demand another evidence?

you disagree with me and then say except the bit that i’ve pointed out.

it’s like saying, everyone here is great, except for those people who are not.

Flag Post

It’s an interesting debate. Are these ads as we know them or Product Placement? Personally I find Product Placement to be extremely annoying in films, like I, Robot where Will Smith starts spouting off about some brand of trainer, you’re like what?? Totally ruined the film.

However Games, as they become more realistic, could in some ways feature more brands (if they are playing to a true to life setting) for example if they made The Getaway 3 (Set in London) with actually half decent graphics and engine, then it would be awesome to drive through London in the game and actually see the shops that are there for real (Instead of a blurry mess that the first two did). A virtual London with virtual shops, brands and advertising. It would be true to life and that would be fine. But unless that was the case I would rather pay more money for an adless product as the ads are usually crass and intrusive and ruin the art in a product.

Flag Post

I hear your pain about I,Robot. My only beef with the movie. My ideal in-game product placement would have to be NFS: Underground 2. Not too intrusive, and it kinda fits.

Flag Post

hey indieflash, in general, all the money goes to the publisher, whatever you do. the programmers and artists will not make a penny from you buying any game. they have already been paid to give up all creator rights and have probably been fired by now.

Flag Post

Ouch, notshi. That’s awful cynical.

Flag Post

i’d rather watch I, Robot than any crap by Uwe Boll. there’s no product placement in his films so they must be better? that guy has been given the power to kill video games.

it’s almost as if the quality of the film is irrelevant to whether of not it has product placement.

Flag Post

smigbob, it’s not cynical. it’s the awful truth. would you like me to introduce you to some people in the games industry who’s had that happened to them? i know lots of them.