Best and Worst Super Smash Bros. Brawl Characters page 30

874 posts

Flag Post

It was hilarious facing stupid kids (not calling you stupid, stupid refers to the kids I’m about to talk about) that used Samus.
The would constantly try to use the charge beam on me as I’m Mario so I either wait for them to shoot and reflect it back, or get in the way to reflect it back. I was surprised by how many times they fell for it.

I agree that Marios greatest weakness is his short range. That’s why I am constantly moving when I play Mario. also his supercape will work on any attack that would hit him usually stalling the enemy for long enough to close the small distance remaining (unless it was an actually range attack, not somehting within that characters reach.)

Also, Mario has that fireball that used to be good in melee, it’s an overlooked attack because it’s weak, has poor range and movement speed, and can bounce the wrong way… but I used those “negatives” to my advantage, for example slow speed means that I can run right behind it, it stalls the enemies attack allowing me the strike, or if they block they have no time to counter before I grab.

I really wish that online didn’t have ANY lag because most of my style is dependent on split second actions. online I couldn’t even reflect the super scope attack, that’s when I decided **** online.

Flag Post

mainly while using samus(depending on the character, whether they have a reflect move like Falcon or Mario) I spam missiles/weak charge beams, the typical reaction is spamming block while slowly moving towards me. then do the body slam type running move, which usually knocks the in them in the air, and I have finely honed juggling abilities :) I then use the up-a attack if they are knocked high in the air, or the body slam if they are about to hit the ground.
I also have a tactic that involves the charge beam. I get far away and start charging up, but don’t use the attack once they come within range. I stun them with a slam attack missile ( when you simultaneously tap in a direction and push B, making it gain damage, speed, and range but lose tracking capabilities) and then blast them once they can’t react.
Or instead of the misslie, I move up close and start a close quarters fight, then dodge behind them and fire the charge beam, previously charged to max power. Either way, once the enemy has taken heavy damage, it’s a devastating attack. If they haven’t taken heavy damage, it will change that very quickly.

Flag Post

With Samus I like charging the beam, then just beating the opponent up whitout using it. (only works on real people… and only sometimes) They’re so scared of trying to dodge the beam that they don’t realize that I’ve done 80% damage to them :).

They focus on one thing, so I do the other, I fight with the fully charged beam up until the point where they start acting like I don’t have it, then I use it out of the blue and nail them. Then I charge it up and the fear has started again :)

I have to admit, facing another player with samus that does do that is scary, but I can depend on my reactions to reflect or at least avoid the attack… this would ONLY work offline for me though, this is one situation where a half second lag could destroy me.

Flag Post

(depending on the character, whether they have a reflect move like Falcon or Mario

Captain Falcon does not have the ability to reflect projectiles despite being epic. You’re probably referring to Falco I know.

Also, having Samus fully charge her beam isn’t something not typical for a Samus user. In fact, it’s recommended to do so.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SAl37:

(depending on the character, whether they have a reflect move like Falcon or Mario

Captain Falcon does not have the ability to reflect projectiles despite being epic. You’re probably referring to Falco I know.

Also, having Samus fully charge her beam isn’t something not typical for a Samus user. In fact, it’s recommended to do so.

Yeah, I was mentioning that it’s fun when you have to face people who suck at the game to use that fear tactic.

p.s. all charcters can use the shield reflection, so in a way falcon CAN reflect. I know you probably weren’t talking about that though =P

Flag Post

Well that is true, but you can hardly ever hit someone with that technique.

I just started using Zelda for no apparent reason. Maybe it’s called fate, but I have no knowledge of the Legend of Zelda series. I usually main characters I’ve played and know of such as Pikachu from Pokemon and Snake from Metal Gear. Her recovery move is a real challenge to master, but I’ll get use to it like Ike.

Flag Post
I have no knowledge of the Legend of Zelda series.

WHAT!?!?!? Not even Ocarina of time? (spelling?) Why not!? I don’t care why, you should have played ocarina of time. You know what?

http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegames/game.php?id=9066&system=n64&name=Legend-of-Zelda-The-Ocarina-of-Time

Go there and play it! Seriously, it’s a good game.

Anyways, yeah her and sheiks (from the above game) up b does take awhile to get used to. It has a lot of power, or at least I think it does, I can’t remember too well if it was both versions that had it, or just one.

Flag Post

WHAT!?!?!? Not even Ocarina of time? (spelling?) Why not!? I don’t care why, you should have played ocarina of time. You know what?

Unfortunately, I was a PlayStation gamer back in my childhood, not a Nintendo fan, so I didn’t play any Super Mario or any old Nintendo franchise games. But I at least have a Wii.

Go there and play it! Seriously, it’s a good game.

Huh, you can play it for free? Shocking. I will go ahead and try it, if I am in the mood to do so.

It has a lot of power, or at least I think it does, I can’t remember too well if it was both versions that had it, or just one.

They’re both different in animations and effects, but they are still teleportation and recovery moves. One main thing I have trouble on is appearing not close enough to sweetspot the ledge. So irritating. The online lag is just going to worsen it.

Flag Post

I didn’t even have that, I had a sega genesis. I still managed to play OoT though.

Yes I think you need to do a quick download or something, but definatly worth it

Yeah, I think it took a lot of practice to guess how much distance they would cover with their teleports and online I don’t even try anymore.

Flag Post

Ok, you people have obviously not played against College guys at SSBB.

I knew a friend named Kevin who was probably the pro-est Mario player I’ve ever seen. We all agree he is a good well-balanced character, however, he made Mario look like a Top-Tier character! He was always able to move extremely fast and follow up most of his attacks with aerial juggles to which he would then finish it off with Mario’s headbutt up-smash attack (I’ve died a lot from it), on top of that, he was really, really good at dodging, both on the ground and in the air. Let me put this in a better perspective, out of about 12 guys that I played with at the dorm I stayed at in college earlier this year back in the first quarter, only I was able to go toe-to-toe with him AS Luigi in a 5 stock match and only take out 2-3 of his lives in a match.

Which now brings me to Luigi. As an underrated character, Luigi is one who is not to be underestimated. While Luigi lacks traction, Luigi makes up with awesome aerial combat abilities. His smash attacks knock enemies into the air and Luigi’s standard Up-A move has quite a bit of power (despite being a very stupid looking attack). Luigi’s standard Air-A attack keeps foes in the air and if you hit them when he’s either extending it out or you hit them from below while the attack is out, it sends the enemies even higher (possibly KO’ing them if they have enough damage %). Let’s not forget that Luigi’s Uppercut (Up-B) is extremely powerful and can KO most enemies between 70-80+ % of damage AND pro players like me do not rely on just Luigi’s Green Missle (Over-B) and his uppercut as recovery attacks—No! The Luigi Cyclone (Down-B) is probably one of the best aerial recoveries next to Snake’s and Sonic’s Up-B recoveries. If you rapidly push B down while use the move, Luigi will propel himself upwards. This move is also useful for when making a landing as enemies who attempt to juggle you will get sucked into his attack and if Luigi uses the move in the air it scatters them away (whereas on the ground sends them upwards). OH! And here’s the coup de grace: Luigi’s epic taunt kick of awesomeness! :) It is one of the best if not the best Meteor Smash move in the entire game. Any airborne or edge hanging enemy that is unfortunate to run into Luigi’s foot is sent flying downwards at practically light speed. I’m only bummed though because I have only pulled off this epic move twice, but do it amongst a crowd and you will become the favorite to win because Luigi is just that awesome.

Flag Post

I’ve only played a few college people at brawl, unfortunatly they were players that thought just because they could beat level 9’s no sweat that they were good. I was very disappointed in their ssbb abilities.

I could talk about over a dozen strategies for using Mario to fight and keep the enemies guessing and responding to faints and many other things that I can do with him. However, I would rather make a guide that someone might actually read if I wanted to even try to attempt that.

I agree that Luigi is an underrated character. His air attacks are awesome. I prefer him in multiman because his air attacks can send them flying one after the other. However, the weakness with this is that his ground attacks aren’t all that good, and the ones that are leave you vulnerable if the enemy avoids the initial contact. I’m not saying he sucks, I’m just saying that you have to be careful to not let your opponent guess your attacks. Also, keeping to the air restricts some of the freedom.

I wish I could play your friend, I’ve been looking for someone that’s able to beat me in melee and that search has continued to brawl. I was hopeful for online, until I realized that sucked, and even a half second of lag completely screws me up while playing.

p.s. be careful with that Luigi tornado recovery, if I remember correctly he’s vulnerable from the top while doing it so if your friend times it right (and you make it sound like he can easily, which isn’t too hard for anyone) He will meteor smash you down mid attack.

Flag Post

He would of had to reach me first, LoL. I normally use the Cyclone for crowd control and mostly for recovery… Which now that I think about it, he did actually meteor smash me a couple times with Mario when I attempted to recover using a combination of the Cyclone, Missile, and the Uppercut.

My friend actually told me he had a cousin named Kayden who was actually better than him and his main was King DeDeDe. I asked Kevin to try and demonstrate his abilities, which he really couldn’t but several eyewitness affirmed that this guy was practically godlike with being able to not just use DedeDe, but pretty much everyone else. It still gives me the shivers to this day. But I had had some discussions about King DeDeDe’s abilities and he’s actually a very powerful character to use in game. His Air Back-A move is a rather fast and disruptful move and his Smash-A move as an extremely wide arc that’s even capable of hitting enemies behind him if timed correctly and despite the initial build-up to his smash attack it comes out rather fast, faster than Ike’s in fact. I suppose in the hands of a true pro, King DeDeDe is a force to be reckoned with.

Flag Post

Don’t forget that King DeDeDe can chaingrab. Get caught by one and it’s damaging racking time. It’s one major reason why he’s one dangerous penguin.

Flag Post

King DeDeDe you say? I was never any good with him, I could beat any level 9 computer with him, but that’s about it. I don’t remember his moves very well.

I have some people that know I’m pretty much “godlike” with Mario. With him no one gives me a real challenge and I don’t even have to give my full attention to beat them. I was watching a friend of mine fail at I wanna be the guy at the same time I was beating my friend at brawl.

A couple of my friends even tried to become copycats. They couldn’t beat me, so they decided to try to fight like me. The biggest weakness (I didn’t tell them what it was) was that I knew what they were going to do. I would put myself in their position, think of what I would do years ago, (when I was new at it) and counter accordingly. They never got close in one on one.

Both of the copycats teamed me once in free for all though. It was a good battle and I had an epic montage where items went flying around and from me in all directions and damage was built up and directed so perfectly it felt like I was seeing in slow motion. Both of these copycats that could easily beat level 9’s coming after me, and I killed them each 3 times without getting hit until I lost my concentration and went back to normal.

There were only two times that I felt like that. 1 when I first played the original and it was me Mario vs level 9 link and some nostalgia affected me. Te second was the first time I played one of my friends in melee before I was very good and was able to predict what he would do almost a full second before he did it. I haven’t had anything like that in brawl yet, but that’s because I got so good at melee that no one faces me anymore.

Ok, I got off topic somewhere. What I’m saying is that sometimes we can play at levels much higher than we’re normally capable of, but only when we’re challenged the right amount. It has to be fair otherwise the rage from it makes it not work and I liked the game more when I was still new at it. If not someone who can beat me, then I want to at least face someone who can give me a challenge. That’s why I wish I could face some of you at the same speed as if we were sitting in the same room, with absolutely no ping to mess me up and with stock matches.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SAl37:

I know it’s common for them to fully charge, what isn’t common is my use of it.

Flag Post

NO ITEMS 3 STOCK FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION

Flag Post
Originally posted by Posh_Lion:

Why no items? I can understand some items, but none? that makes the game feel very limited.

and I like 5, that way 1 mistake doesn’t cost you the match. (even though no one who lives near me now can even take two in a 5 life math…)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Posh_Lion:

Lol So FUNNY and ORIGINAL.

Why no items? I can understand some items, but none? that makes the game feel very limited.

Items require little to no skills to use.
Items interfere with combat, making players resort to items rather than their own moves themselves.
When used right, every item is capable of taking out a stock, thus they are broken and ridiculously frowned upon.
They are luck based and random.

Eliminating items from brawl does not make the game feel very limited. In fact, I’d say that the game will be better played without the use of items. You will be able to focus on your opponent at leisure, plan and plot strategies, execute techniques and have a complete fairness brawl. But that does not mean that others in the community cannot play with items.

and I like 5, that way 1 mistake doesn’t cost you the match. (even though no one who lives near me now can even take two in a 5 life math…)

Losing a stock in a 3 stock match does not cost you the match in any way. Sure it’ll tilt the favors against you, but the outcome will depend on your performance to exceed your loss.

Flag Post

Items may require little to no skill to use, but require a lot to use well. You go against anyone who has played the game for more than 10 minutes and try throwing an item at them for a distance attack and I can almost guarantee that it won’t work. Items are a form of using a scare tactic to gain an advantage over your opponent.

They are mostly random, but with the exception of a few items, they don’t make much of a difference if the person isn’t skilled with them. I am extremely skilled with items. I can manage to aim across the level and hit where I’m aiming (they usually move, but…) I can use them in an instant and set up an offensive that uses the items multiple times, and I can run straight towards an enemy with a hammer and send them flying. Items take plenty of skill to use right with some exceptions.

when used right, every move in a characters arsenal can be used to help get the kill, the challenge is using it right. Still, if you predict your opponents strategy, you can turn their own items against them.

I know messing up with one life in a 3 stock match doesn’t mean you lose, but it gives a huge advantage to the other player now that you’re playing at 66% because of one mistake (in school that would be a failing D) while five isn’t that long, maybe ten minutes in a long match and one mess up leaves you at 80% (B! YAY!)

I understand why people choose to play with no items, and I can understand short matches, but I don’t believe that you can completely go all out in these situations. First you don’t get to enjoy a part of the game that is the items, second the matches are short and makes it harder to guess your opponents strategy that well. I guess these are my oppinions though and mine alone. I don’t depend on items, I use them in combat as well as my characters natural moves to be an unstoppable force.

Flag Post

You go against anyone who has played the game for more than 10 minutes and try throwing an item at them for a distance attack and I can almost guarantee that it won’t work. Items are a form of using a scare tactic to gain an advantage over your opponent.

They are mostly random, but with the exception of a few items, they don’t make much of a difference if the person isn’t skilled with them. I am extremely skilled with items.

Doesn’t matter. Items are simple and easy to use, and someone who has just started playing it will usually play with items to the point where they’ll have complete knowledge about them.

I can manage to aim across the level and hit where I’m aiming (they usually move, but…) I can use them in an instant and set up an offensive that uses the items multiple times, and I can run straight towards an enemy with a hammer and send them flying. Items take plenty of skill to use right with some exceptions.

Final Smash, Assist Trophy, Pokeball, Super spicy curry, Ray gun, Fan, Hammer, Golden Hammer, and many more are examples of of items that you mention “with some exceptions”.

I know messing up with one life in a 3 stock match doesn’t mean you lose, but it gives a huge advantage to the other player now that you’re playing at 66% because of one mistake (in school that would be a failing D) while five isn’t that long, maybe ten minutes in a long match and one mess up leaves you at 80% (B! YAY!)

What? Huge advantage is an exaggeration. It sure gives an advantage, but it can be minute or dramatic depending on the matchup and setting. Even if two players are very skilled and excel in brawl, as long as the match is still going, both players are at a steady potential to win. In this video Snake lost his stocks first, but was able to easily take down Falcon. During the first match of this video Falco was getting beaten, but was able to destroy Zelda in the end. There are rooms for mistakes.

I understand why people choose to play with no items, and I can understand short matches,

Who said they were short matches? They’re typically around 4 to 6 minutes long per brawl. That’s hardly a short match. 2 minute timed matches on the other hand are very short and boring.

but I don’t believe that you can completely go all out in these situations. First you don’t get to enjoy a part of the game that is the items, second the matches are short and makes it harder to guess your opponents strategy that well. I guess these are my oppinions though and mine alone. I don’t depend on items, I use them in combat as well as my characters natural moves to be an unstoppable force.

Opinions, opinions. What you don’t believe, I believe. What you don’t enjoy, I differ.
Why can’t you go all out? You learn to get use to it. Seriously, what’s so bad about a 3 stock match. Three lives. That’s the most basic setting for games. The matches are definitely not shorter in any way. In fact, adding items will make matches shorter if you apply the same rules to a match without items.

and makes it harder to guess your opponents strategy that well.

Bullshit. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PlatinumIce:

Best — Pit/R.O.B./King Dedede/PIT/PIT/PIT.

Worst — Ice Climbers. Period.

ice climbers are the best because they have 2 characters. you need to learn to utilize their unique ability to have 2 players.

Flag Post

Captain Falcon = best smash grab and 2nd best air attacks besides Falco (he is a bird after all)
Snake = most useful specials
Mario = most well balanced
Luigi = slower than mario but more power
Ice climbers = 2 players
Marth = most range and “sweet spot”
Ike = slower than marth but way more power
Fox = fast attacks and combos

Flag Post

Seriously, I don’t know how to separate the quotes like that, so my answers aren’t going to be as precise as yours…

items are simple to use, yes. However, as I said, to use them well takes some time. You have to fit it into your style to be able to fight well. If you use your characters regular abilities and items too differently, then you’ll lose against any decent opponent. I’ve seen people face off in matches, some of them were even in no item fights, but we put a few items in, and bam! one of them was much better. They knew how to use items, and it wasn’t luck. He was better. The other person didn’t know how to use items well and failed miserably. He started screaming when the other avoided or caught his item attacks.

I don’t remember all the items that are gamebreakers, but all that you mentioned are except for the ray gun and fan if you’re facing sonic… can’t remember who else can get out of it that fast though. Maybe I wasn’t clear that there are a lot of items that will affect the outcome with luck. I usually turn these off in “real” matches though. Otherwise it’s part of the fun of a casual match.

Maybe I did exaggerate by saying huge advantage. Nothing is wrong with 3 stock matches, I just think that 5 are better because the fight’s not too long and a death isn’t as big a deal. This depends on how long a fight you want I guess, but I’ll agree that there’s nothing wrong with 3 stock matches. However, there’s nothing wrong with 5 stock matches, is there?

Sorry, I meant shortER I should have taken a little more time. Not short exactly, but you did say that items make the matches shorter, so maybe if you changed to using items the matches would end quicker and maybe you could see how I might call them shorter.

Once again, there’s nothing wrong with 3 stock matches, they’re just a little too short for my taste, this may be in part I’ve played at a public daycare that we had to take turns… but I was doing 5 stock way before that.

Ok maybe I shouldn’t say strategy, that sounds off. I think the world style might be better suited. For example someone who’s Samus and tries to keep distance while firing and spamming long range attacks, or pickachu that tries using the down b too much. How about the kirby that attacks from the air all the time. These are simplistic styles, and ones that only new players would use, but I think you know what I’m trying to say. You start to get to know their “style” and then you can start to guess how they’re going to come at you and more importantly how to best go at them.

I think that slightly longer matches allow you to analyze their style more than a 3 stock match does, this may be because you need more time when items are in play. Either way I don’t think we’re going to get anywhere by arguing which is better or not. I can just say that my preferred match style is 5 stock with most items on, and I’m guessing that your preferred style is 3 stock with items turned off. I think we can agree to disagree.

p.s. However, I think that we can agree that time matches suck, right?… actually I don’t think I like any other than stock… I’m not sure.

Flag Post

Seriously, I don’t know how to separate the quotes like that, so my answers aren’t going to be as precise as yours…

Insert bq. at the beginning of the post, then add a space and paste the text you want to quote. Give it a few indents for a reply to a quote.

I don’t remember all the items that are gamebreakers, but all that you mentioned are except for the ray gun and fan if you’re facing sonic… can’t remember who else can get out of it that fast though. Maybe I wasn’t clear that there are a lot of items that will affect the outcome with luck. I usually turn these off in “real” matches though. Otherwise it’s part of the fun of a casual match.

The ray gun can “carry” characters especially large ones off the stage by shooting rapidly at them, for if you get caught by those ray blasts. Other than that, it’s not much of a deal.

Having matches with items are not necessarily a bad thing. I have tried throwing in some items when I’m bored.

Ok maybe I shouldn’t say strategy, that sounds off. I think the world style might be better suited.

Here’s a new vocabulary word. Metagame
You’ll usually hear this term in gaming where competition is present.

For example someone who’s Samus and tries to keep distance while firing and spamming long range attacks, or pickachu that tries using the down b too much. How about the kirby that attacks from the air all the time. These are simplistic styles, and ones that only new players would use, but I think you know what I’m trying to say. You start to get to know their “style” and then you can start to guess how they’re going to come at you and more importantly how to best go at them.

And that’s how you learn to become better at brawl. By recognizing scenarios, techniques, attacks, patterns, you can fight your opponent without being blindfolded. Of course, your opponent would be doing the same thing, if they have the ability to do so. If not, then they’re not a nuisance to deal it.

p.s. However, I think that we can agree that time matches suck, right?… actually I don’t think I like any other than stock… I’m not sure.

Yeah, they kinda do. KO steals are common and it promotes spamming in a way. Coin matches on the other hand are just pathetic.

Flag Post

Insert bq. at the beginning of the post, then add a space and paste the text you want to quote. Give it a few indents for a reply to a quote.

like this?

The ray gun can “carry” characters especially large ones off the stage by shooting rapidly at them, for if you get caught by those ray blasts. Other than that, it’s not much of a deal.

In melee this affected you worse, but in brawl you can still freely move and attack after an air dodge. Most people I’ve played can air dodge a shot then make it back perfectly fine, the only ones who couldn’t were the new players that wouldn’t beat a level 5. That’s if you can even hit them in the first place becase if you have distance they have time and at close range there’s a slight delay to when you fire (it’s slower than most characters quick attacks).

Here’s a new vocabulary word. Metagame
You’ll usually hear this term in gaming where competition is present.

Ok now that’s interesting, something along the lines of the player knows something that the character doesn’t, or something outside of the game and… ohhh look it mentions ssbb :)

And that’s how you learn to become better at brawl. By recognizing scenarios, techniques, attacks, patterns, you can fight your opponent without being blindfolded. Of course, your opponent would be doing the same thing, if they have the ability to do so. If not, then they’re not a nuisance to deal it.

I agree, I like the more time to decide the style the player is using for the match, or should I use metagame? Just because I know of the word doesn’t mean I can use it correctly, I’m mostly left brained btw.

Yeah, they kinda do. KO steals are common and it promotes spamming in a way. Coin matches on the other hand are just pathetic.

Coin matches definatly suck. I think I did however many were required for trophy, always for only 1 minute because I think you had to finish, and that was it.

(holds breath) I hope it quoted these right… EDIT: ok I forgot about the “.”s after the bq… but now I got it. thanks, that will make quoting much easier.