Which Heroes of Might and Magic is best? page 2

65 posts

Flag Post

I say, all of the last three are too different to row up. They’re better than the previous ones, though.

3,4,5 > 2 > 1.

Flag Post

I’d say 3 was the best in terms of depth and size, but 2 was my favorite. I loved the challenge in 2, including the expansion campaigns. And well, the cartooney sprites just had more personality than the more realistic style used in 3 4 5. Plus, 2 had the best music.

Flag Post

3>4>2>5>1

5 was just disappointing. I don’t like what Ubisoft did with it.

I still play 3, with the Wake of Gods expansion.

Flag Post

and i like heroes 8 the best 9th was scrapped when 3DO bancrupted :( and i hate ubisoft for scrapping original heroes story with they lame heroes 5 game

Flag Post

I registered just to reply to this topic, probably because I have such a strong opinion :)

I think Saneiac made some good points early. Although Heroes IV brought many changes, it was far too unbalanced to keep the interest level high. You could essentially cruise through any level by beefing up a barbarian hero and rampaging across the map, almost entirely ignoring armies and other strategy. Heroes 3 is appealing to many people because they think it strictly augments Heroes 2, but I think this is a flawed perspective. Although 3 certainly introduced more units, more castles, and more combat complexity, it sacrificed much of what makes Heroes 2 such an incredible game, namely the near-solvable strategic elements, incredible balance, the music, and the simple but colorful 2D graphics. Many of the game strategies employed in 2 will also work in 3, but any veteran will argue that there are simply too many variables to make a ‘best’ course of action as apparent in a given situation. I also think 2 had a more accessible map builder, so the community was readily contributing to number of quality maps to choose from. Overall, I guess I could sum up my opinion by saying that heroes 2 still has almost a board-game feel to it, allowing for an unprecedented level of mastery and strategic gameplay. I think this was lost with heroes 3, and in its place we got a glutton of additional features and units. Of course, heroes 3 is definetely the next best in spite of this. Also, I am glad that more heroes games are being produced, and I feel that even 5 was quite enjoyable. I do not expect anything to trump #2, however, and that’s fine by me. Greatest netbook game of all time!

2>3>4/5>1>King’s Bounty

Flag Post

Man I always thought I was the only one. I usually always like the older games when people are moving onto the new stuff. Glad to see people feel the same.

Heroes 3 was best, the whole bright colours and fantasy zone along with simple yet complex (I know, it’s like saying you have a cold sweat or dry ice) game play made it great. It was simple in terms of the 2D view and building up / recruiting yet complex in terms of strategy and getting to know all the perks. The game was just in balance in every way. Yes some towns were favoured over others but with the right strategies anything was possible. The graphics were polished, everything was smooth and in some cases mirror image. I love that, I don’t like lumpy / realistic graphics. I hope someone gets what I mean by that =)

I started on heroes 1 & 2 at the same time which was endless fun. Heroes 3 just beefed everything up and gave the game exactly what it needed. A few great features and improvements where they were needed. Heroes 4 I did enjoy but it just didn’t have the same feel to it. I can appreciate it for what it was but it just wasn’t memorable like 3 was. After much anticipation I got hold of 5 when it was released and man what a huge dissapointment. They did exactly what most game companies are doing these days, they focused on making it flashy. I hate it when they focus so much on making the perfect graphics and game physics and spend less time making gameplay enjoyable or a game that inspires the imagination. Needless to say I played it for a couple of weeks and I havn’t played it since. I don’t know where the CD for it is…

It really is a shame when game companies use something great and make something mediocre with over-done graphics. I don’t want a game to look realistic, if I wanted that I would simply switch off the computer and go outside, I want games that are good to look at and FUN, what happened to the imagination in todays society!?! Realism has no place in a fantasy game imo, I don’t want the characters to come to life. I want them to look like smooth fun characters, fictional characters, not myth brought to life. And fun as in you sit down and enjoy the sh!t out of the game or fun as in you get in and play your ass off to win.

Reminds me of WoW, some of the changes and features are great but you can see they have forsaken quality game play to suit the market instead. Maybe 5 appeals to the new generation of gamers more or maybe I just like living in the past… Ahh the good old days. Busy playing a custom map of Heroes 3 now. Tower ftw <3

In order of best > worst: Heroes 3>2>4>1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5

Flag Post

number one was easily the best
and by one I mean warlords for dos

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Hey guys, you do realize talking about piracy is not only illegal, but bannable?

Flag Post

coming from someone that just told me to upload stick rpg hehe

and talking about things cant be illegal ‘freedom of speech’ and all that. even downloading stuff isnt illegal in most countrys uploading and hosting is

Flag Post

Dude. Read the First Amendment really quickly so you look less stupid.

And yes, this conversation is taking place in Chicago, so all relevant US laws apply.

Flag Post

im not american so i dont care about their law. everything i am doing is legal from where im sitting and thats all that matters

Flag Post

Except, you know, this conversation is taking place in an American server in the United States of America, and any law you break is broken in the United States of America.

There is a thing called Extradition, you know.

Flag Post

a.i dont think im going to get extradited for posting a comment on an internet forum.
b.i dont know what your problem is, do you think your some sort of internet police.
c.i dont care.

This topic is about heroes of might and magic.

Flag Post

Do not discuss illegal downloading in the forums please. All discussion of hacking, piracy, or otherwise stealing of games, as well as presenting links to sites which provide illegal material, is not allowed in the forums.

Thank you!

Terms:

No Illegal, Infringing or Abusive Message Content or Conduct: You further agree that you will not otherwise engage in, or encourage others to engage in, illegal or abusive conduct or activities.

Flag Post

In my opinion hero 5 is teh greatest. It has a great creature upgrade sistem, great creatures a beoutifull story and greate powers. And what i like the most is taht you can attack with the hero and teht you can see your fighters fighting in 3D ;)

Flag Post

first, never played 4th part, since it was SO buggy when I first heard about it, so I decided to postpone, and then what I have heard ruined my interest.

strategy-wise: 3>2>5>1. In 1st you are to get a sorceress hero with dragons, pwn. And what, Bless overrides Paralyze? In 5th, played campaign, smiled at graphics (lowest quality possible, but still good!) and frowned at inability of 5 to make maps and HUGE defects in those maps that are there (patch 1.2, and what was before?!), Also haven’t realized a lot the conception of initiative – well, that was just me. And AI in 3rd is plain better than in 2nd… there’s a single map I still have from 2nd, where you start with a SINGLE peasant with the task of pwning a castle with 20000+ black dragons, and I have passed it without big hassle, even when that castle wasn’t ravaged prior to me arriving. That was possible mainly due to flaws in AI design, where the most powerful enemy resided in his island while possessing Town Portal spell and is able to move to mainland, and the tendency of the AI to split his fist of armies in half if I allow him to take a castle or two.

Graphics-wise: 3>5>2=1>4 (screenshot-based). Creatures in 3, 2 and actually 1 are bearing marks of life, while in 4 they are all “dead” as depicted, while 5 has characteristic creatures along with faceless ones, but having 3D allows 5 to get above 2 and 1. Also this sequence is altered regarding topmost capabilities of the age when the parts were released. So 2 has splendid graphics age-wise, 3 has even better, 5 has excellent, but since graphics isn’t the primary part for a strategy game, it’s permitted to not use full capabilities of engines that exist.

Gameplay-wise (SP): 3=2>5>1. This mostly regards AI and storyline, and the campaign design.
Gameplay-wise (MP): 3. Haven’t played MP in either 1, 2 or 5 at all, while 3 has a lot of potential, a LOT of maps to choose, and a lot of customizable stuff, especially if you take 3.57+ as a part of 3, otherwise 3.5>=3.

And yes, 3 (Shadow of Death) is my favorite, so all this is abit biased towards it.

Flag Post

Heroes 3 is the best

Flag Post

oh god this is such an easy decision

homm 3

homm2
homm5
homm1

homm something..4 i think.not worth of my time

Flag Post

HOMM3 is best. I played it for thousands of hours. 2D is excelent!

I waited long time for HOMM4 and hoped that it would be better graphics, new units/artifacts/maps but then I got the f—-ed up graphic enginge… That was a shame.

Flag Post

I have 3 and 4 heroes, but 3 is much better than 4, because there is nothink new in 4, only images is better. In heroes 3 is more monsters, special effect of them, more pretty magic skills.

Flag Post

3 was the best, I’m still playing it.

Flag Post

definately 3. cant say much about 1 and 2 since i havnt played them, but 3 was epic. and 4 and 5 arnt that special except maybe upped graphics =/