Comments on Ederon Online Card Game :D

20 posts

Flag Post

http://kongregate.com/games/Mistermind/ederon-online-card-game
Hey guys just want to know what you guys thing about the game that took 2 of my life to finish :D

Flag Post

o.o
Hi Mistermind! XD

Flag Post

Oh, it’s me, Nocavius D;

Flag Post

Instead of making the card load as if it was a whole physical card, change the design so it will load the text seperated from the images. Card loading times are a pain, and this will at least give you a lot of information about the card (though not all of it), enough to be able to play it without waiting for it to load.

Flag Post

Err, what? The loading times are completely okay in my opinion.

Flag Post

Yesterday night, every game I played either had ridiculously long card loading time, or the cards kept failing to load for a few minutes. During a whole game, I wondered what card X does, thinking it was a “reduce damage by 3” or something simillar, until the card loaded when the game ended, showing it was a “Draw two cards” card.

Flag Post

cool game,
IS THERE A WEBSITE FOR THIS?

Flag Post

www.ederon.com >_>

Flag Post

The actual game mechanics are a lot of fun, and it’s obvious you put a lot of work into it. It’s not as easy as many people might think to make a fun, balanced, interesting but not-too-complicated card game.

However, that sort of gets lost in all of the little technical and administrative things that drag it down. Really long card loading times, and deleting accounts after 15 days unless you pay money, are a real drag. If you would just get rid of those, this would definitely be a 5 star game.

Flag Post

Heh, funnily, that 20-day-trial stuff was a recent addition and the servers are just kind of overloaded at the moment.

I’ve played this game for quite a while on Ederon.com itself rather than here, like, maybe a year even? Both of these problems weren’t there before, so… XP
I don’t really see why its rating is so horribly low on here, though.

Flag Post

Probably just those two reasons. If the creator really does want (or need, to pay server bills) to make real money from it, I think it would be much more lucrative to give full benefits to anyone, and then sell “extras” for cash, that allow you to get either:

- The same things that you could get playing the game for free, but much more quickly/easily

- Some sort of cosmetic change that doesn’t effect gameplay

If you look at the vast majority of successful online games (whether fancy games like Gunbound or Maplestory, or other browser-based games like Cybernations or Kingdom of Loathing) they operate on this principal. How many games can you think of that successfully charge a fee to have a (permanent) account? WoW? Guild Wars?

Basically huge games that are constantly expanding and updating and employ scads of people.

And about the card lag thing, it would be much, much better if (as someone suggested on the site forums) you could have all the card descriptions and graphics cached on your hard drive, so it wouldn’t have to fetch them every time you wanted to check what they do. That would cut down on a lot, a lot of hassle. Or just faster servers, I guess.

Just my two cents though, I’m certainly no expert on game design.

Flag Post

Being able to play on a guest account would be nice. I don’t think everyone would bother to register to play.

Flag Post

How many games can you think of that successfully charge a fee to have a (permanent) account? WoW? Guild Wars?

Just a quick question… When you say Guild Wars, do you mean the money you need to purchase to official game? Because I don’t think it is P2P, other than that.

Flag Post

Yes, I mean the up-front cost, since, to be fair, it’s the same thing for this card-game. At least it’s just a one-time registration cost, rather than a subscription.

Flag Post

I didn’t even try it since it required me to create a non-permanent account. If the account’s just going to get deleted in two weeks, what’s the point?

Flag Post

Chances are you wouldn’t play for longer than a week anyway, right?

Flag Post

Wow didn’t even knew there was this whole discussion here :D
Well yes, what fright people really is the big “20 days left til your account expires” that is what makes the people who like to judge books by its color blame it so horribly, call my mom names and make kittens cry.
The future plans are actually this: Instead of the 20 days trial, I’ll replace it with a LEVEL CAP followed by a 10 days inactivity deletion. These will cool you guys off.
For the ones saying: Full access and sell “extras”: In the very beginning the game was like that. Advanced account was free and u just had to pay a fee to trade cards (for obvious reasons, otherwise u would probably make hundreds of accounts and trade cards between them). Now why did I changed that? People back then (and belive me there were less then 30) had at least 20 accounts each. They wanted to make tons of different accounts to see if they would get different cards. For that reason above all, I made a small ONE TIME fee of $4.95 that would give you an advanced account and let you trade cards. If you understand the concept of currency, you will eventually see that was basically the only solution.

Flag Post

I only made 4 accounts, one for each class… cough

Flag Post

Now, having a level cap AND an inactive deletion sounds much better. :3

Flag Post

The time limit on trial accounts has been removed, folks. You can improve your ratings to 2/5 now >__>;