The Ultimate Guide to Reflex-based Games!

15 posts

Flag Post

Alrightie then. You clicked on the ultimate guide topic in the forum, and now you think that I tricked you. But I didn’t. I am serious when I say that this guide will help you with just about all of the reflex games on Kongregate. Let’s begin.

Okay… to easily beat these reflex-based games, it’ll take some preparation. The first thing you do is open the game you want to beat. Then open a different window, and go to Sean Cooper’s “Boxhead: 2play Rooms”. Go to single player and select options. Your options menu should read as follows: Difficulty: Nightmare, Object collision: on or off (it doesn’t matter for this), Devils: Off (VERY IMPORTANT!), Friendly fire: on or off (doesn’t matter), Game speed: (Fast is best), Number of games (once again doesn’t matter).

Now that you’re done with that, start the game on the Tight 2 map. In the top right area of where you start, there should be a little passageway that leads to a dead end. Select your fake walls and trap yourself in there. Now open a new window and do the same. The goal of this is to generate a lot of lag. I used around 3 windows and Hyper Cam 2. The below video shows what to do as far as Boxhead goes.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fbv6p4zN6Ag&amp;rel=1" width="425" height="353"></embed>

Okay. Now that you have some lag, open yet another new window and open the game. Because of the extreme lag of 3 Boxhead games, the game will be much slower and therefore easier to dodge whatever you’re dodging. With a little lag tweaking and a bit of practice you can get just about any reflex badge there is! Below is a movie of me beating particles (x4 speed).
(PS: The music is the Beastie Boys’ Old School Mega Mix. I can’t remember if it has any language in it, so you have been warned!)(PPS: Note how the game speeds up after a while. That is because i thought it was too laggy and closed a couple windows, but i edited that part out of the video).

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J4Z8ynKD-z0&amp;rel=1" width="425" height="353"></embed>

Thanks for reading my guide! If you have any responses, suggestions or comments, post here or give me a shout.
-Rolovis

Flag Post

That’s not a guide. That’s cheating.

Flag Post

Lol. Lag ftw!

Flag Post

Bah, it’s much easier (and less of a pain in the ass) to just use CPU throttling.

Most of those reflex games are a piece of a cake on a 500MHz processor.

Flag Post

that’s why there’s
http://www.cpukiller.com/

But meh… you’re a newb cheater if you have to use it ^^

Flag Post

Dazzer,

I tried that and it lagged too much…

Jabor,

yep. i guess i made this guide for people that are too dumb to know what that means (like me).

DNDProductions,
It really depends on your definition of cheating. Some people think that walkthroughs are cheating, others think that there is no such thing as cheating as long as the user is having fun. but I agree with you. This is more cheating than a guide.

Flag Post

Is it cheating when you use all your options? Let’s say in a game (any fighting game will work – console that is) you press the pause button quickly to mess with the timing of your human opponent. It’s a button on the controller. Why not use it?

But yeah it’s cheating, which isn’t to say I wouldn’t resort to it after breaking a few mouses.

rolovis get kudos on the idea in my book (although boxhead rules and shouldn’t be f’d with. :)

Flag Post

Is it cheating when you use all your options? Let’s say in a game (any fighting game will work – console that is) you press the pause button quickly to mess with the timing of your human opponent. It’s a button on the controller. Why not use it?

It’s no less cheating than whacking their hand off the controller. To use the pause in that manner would be to abuse it.

As for slowing your computer down, I wouldn’t call it cheating since people’s computer speeds vary, and you shouldn’t be put at a double disadvantage (crap at games and huge hole in your bank account) for buying a fast computer.

Flag Post

I disagree. I am not physically messing with the controller, just using a button on my pad.

Again, I still think it is cheating; just fueling conversation.

Flag Post

I suppose it’s arguable that spamming the pause button in a fighting game would be cheating, but it definitely goes against the spirit of the game, and makes it less fun for both players. It’s like, in turn-based games, taking the maximum amount of time allowed per turn, hoping your opponent will just give up in frustration. You’re not circumventing the rules, but you are being a jackass.

Flag Post

which is why (Thank God), Games like Halo don’t actually pause the game during multiplayer

Flag Post

I disagree. I am not physically messing with the controller, just using a button on my pad.

You could also lean into them when pressing buttons, or even stand in front of the screen. I guess they are more unspoken rules than anything, since they so obviously put the other person at a disadvantage that you’d be really pissed off if they did the same back to you, hence you treat your neighbour as you’d wish to be treated yourself.

But that is all when you are playing against another person, who could do the same to you. If you are playing by yourself, you have no need to respect your computer past not damaging it.

Flag Post

Corin: It does take away from the spirit of the game. And it does make you (well, me) a jackass. But I must say that I always had fun pausing the game right before a certain someone was going to superjump a shortcut in MarioKart. Ok, so that was situational. He would try to ‘do unto others’ but just couldn’t watch both halves of the screen at the same time to make it effective.
I have never come across an instruction book for a game that has said: “Press X to attack, O to defend, and pause to irritate the (censored) out of your opponent.”

I admit an ulterior motive in hoping that that certain someone is going to read this thread.

As far as human vs. computer and cpu lag I think there is still a certain amount of relevance in what rolovis said: “with a little bit of practice…” With reflex-based games you have to get used to the control of the mouse or keys for that game. And if you want to be good you have to practice. If your cpu lags you have to get used to those same controls in a different way (reaction-time lag and all that,) but you still need to practice.

Flag Post

“The spirit of the game” is such a ridiculously laughable statement that I’m not even going to elaborate on it.

Lagging the game to “make it easier” is fine to get the badge for me. Why? Simple, you get Kong points, Kong points are worthless, so there’s not even any need (yet) to argue about this. But when the time will come where they will be worth something, you’d have to wonder “is it worth it”? If you just want the points and don’t care about how much time you waste, then maybe. But if you don’t suck horrible donkey shit (I emphasis this because of how easy these are because blah blah stuff I’ve repeatedly posted), it will take much less time and much less effort to do all of this elaborate slowdown stuff. And if you do suck ect. ect. but don’t want to keep sucking, it will be better for you to practice by completing it normally.

As for “pausing at bad times” is more touchy. In the sense that the game does allow it, but if you want to play the game “seriously” with the intention of getting better, then you should follow by tournament regulation rules (most of the time includes “pausing = forfeit”). If your a bunch of drunken frat boys playing because you’re just messing around random fun stuff, then you shouldn’t really care.

Flag Post

Wait a minute, wait a minute…I can’t trade in my Kong points for airplane tickets?

Another train of thought on the subject: I spent money on a PC that would go faster. I don’t really want to slow it down.