Kingdom Rush - Iron Challenge, Dark Tower, level 12

17 posts

Flag Post

Kingdom Rush is brilliant. It’s possibly the best TD game ever created. However, getting the Kingdom: Rushed Badge is driving me nuts. I can’t beat the Iron Challenge on the Dark Tower (level 12)? I’ve made about 50 attempts and I can’t crack it.

I don’t generally like to use walkthroughs but for this particular challenge, I’d make an exception. However I think there is no walkthrough available for the current version of the Iron Challenge on the Dark Tower. I’ve found a few YouTube videos that solve an easier version of it than what I’m seeing. Perhaps buying premium actually makes that challenge more difficult. Ironic if it’s true. I’d really like to find out.

Has anybody found a winning strategy for the current version of the Iron Challenge on the Dark Tower (level 12)?

Flag Post

Try to use two upgraded mage towers with armor reduction + two upgraded archer towers to ranger to start with, on last row; use one barracks middle on last row also, and two on the row before, up, to keep enemies in range of towers. As you upgrade, don’t go full on barracks, but keep gold and add mage towers and maybe another archer if you want, going for armor reduction on mage towers and that vine enemy-stunning upgrade on rangers. Other that that, it’s just a reinforcement and meteor thing. At least, that’s how I got it done. Good luck!

Flag Post

Thanks b0nsai. It’s great to hear that it’s possible to beat it. But that’s an approach which I’ve already tried several times, and I always end up with too many enemies to kill. There must be something wrong with my timing.

Flag Post

It took me a few goes, using a similar strategy. I found the use of golems and reinforcements to be key, as well as the order in which I upgraded towers. I had 2 Ranger towers with roots before I started the waves on my successful run.

Flag Post

In case of doubt, you can beat any map with just golems. I placed only 1 ranger in the lower left for the vine, and filled all other slots with mage towers. Upgrading each after another to basic lvl 1 golem. I could provide a video but its toooo easy, you’ll see.
The area attack of golems just wipes the floor with masses of enemies (skellies etc.) and stops the tough bosses long enough for the mage to shoot them down.

Flag Post

Mage towers with golems along with ranger and gun towers seemed to work great for me. Also I had 2 artillery upgraded into shock towers and 2 barracks at the end to make sure none of those pesky skeletons got by. With this strategy I beat it in 2 tries, and I only lost the first time because one skeleton managed to slip by when I was dealing with the massive swarm of goblins near the end.

Good luck! I can’t wait for Kingdom Rush 2.

Flag Post

Thanks for all your ideas guys. I haven’t tried using exclusively golems yet, nor have I used gun towers very often, so those ideas sound interesting.

I’m definitely going to give it another shot with those strategies, but not for a little while. I need to wait until I’m in the mood for some more punishment, lol. If I ever succeed I’ll let you know. :P

Flag Post

Ah, I’ve just noticed something. Moshdef, there’s no artillery allowed in the Iron Challenge, so maybe you’re thinking of the Heroic Challenge. I got that one fairly quickly too. Upgraded artillery towers make things much less tricky.

I can’t wait for Kingdom Rush 2 either, or any other game that Ironhide might make. Awesome developers.

Flag Post

Ruffyl,

I struggled as well with some Iron challenges until I learned a simple mathematical fact – many weak towers are better than a few strong ones, using the same amount of money.
So upgrade them pretty much at the same time, but give precedence to those that fire on both paths, and perhaps leave 1-2 levels under the ones immediately next to the tower, who can only hit 1 path.

I finished the Iron challenge using pretty much only ranger’s hideout and high mages, with 1-2 mage golem towers, upgrading them equally, using reinforcements to put groups of enemies close together and abusing maxed up fire rain (it really, really helps a lot).
When you have max tier towers, focus your money in upgrading the special skills in few – many special abilities have increasing returns on them when you max them (teleport especially) – you have to stop spreading your money once all the important ones are special tier, it becomes less of an advantage.

Just that. I pretty much one-shotted it at first try, simply armed with the mathematical knowledge of efficiency against gold.

EDIT: just done it again. There is a close call on the last wave of demons before the magma elementals – be sure to save a rain of fire for that.

Flag Post

Emanuele,

That was a perfect analysis. Following your strategy I just got it on my second try. The funny thing is that the only difference between what you describe and what I’d tried several times already was the heavy use of rain of fire. Even though I hadn’t done the mathematical analysis, it made sense to try out evenly distributed upgrades, with priority given to the centrally located towers, and actually, most of my attempts used mostly/exclusively rangers and high mages, just with varying ratios and skill patterns. But previously I hadn’t used the rain of fire until I had large crowds of enemies. This time, I used it as early as possible and as often as possible. I hadn’t appreciated that it would increase your gold and therefore your upgrade capacity so much faster. It totally altered the pace, and it really reduced the pressure. The only reason I had to do the challenge twice was because of that last wave of demons, so I just tweaked the ranger/mage ratio and tried again, and the winning run went very smoothly.

I can’t tell you how pleased I am. Thanks! :P

Flag Post

Well done mate.

Flag Post

Dammit I still can’t beat it I’m doing something wrong just dunno what…….

Flag Post

Nevermind I just nailed it, used poison on rangers once the Dark Slayers showed up they didn’t stand a chance…….

Flag Post

Here’s a vid beating the latest (hardest) version of this level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33CaDf8Rd34

Flag Post

How can you play de challenges of the Dark Tower? I pass the level but still don’t achieve nor ONE star nor the Defender achievement.

Flag Post

Wow Iron challenge, dark tower…. I still have trouble with Pagras (lvl 3) in the heroic challenge…
Still have to practice I guess.

Flag Post

I have played Dark Tower, Iron Challenge on hard at least 100 times, seriously, and the closest I can get is when the Magma Elementals come out—but by then I’m too overwhelmed and lose. I don’t have premium, so only have 2 reinforcement guys, and can’t fully upgrade levels across the board AND have a hero at the same time. I have tried so many different strategies and have watched many different videos supposedly played on hard, but can’t get CLOSE to the results others get. I’ve even gone so far as to pause and unpause and follow precisely what one of the winning videos did, but to no avail—my guys can’t kill the enemies as fast as they do in the video. I beat most other levels in the game, including iron and heroic challenges, on the first or second try. A few took more than 10 tries, but this one is ridiculous. Does anyone have any better videos than what I’ve found? Most of the videos are shown on normal, which is a piece of cake, and the ones on hard look like they must be cheating or using some easier version.