Achievement Unlocked 3

24 posts

Flag Post

Well actually, this is just a thinly veiled thread about how people will rate anything with achievements high.

This game is terribly bugged, lags like hell for almost everyone, has exactly the same concept and puzzles as the two previous instalments and still gets a rating 4.34.

Kongregaters gonna kongregate.

Oh and discuss the game if you want.

Flag Post

It’s Jmtb, same thing happens with Nerdook, undefined, etc.

I agree it seems like it was really pushed to release without much playtesting/bugfixing.

Flag Post

Already completed it on Armor Games. I don’t wanna complete it again ;_;

Flag Post

It doesn’t lag for me.

Flag Post

Thought they’d have fixed the bugs when the game finally comes to Kong, but no. sigh

Flag Post

There is seriously a third one?
Wow.
Just…. Wow.

Flag Post

They really need to let this Elephant thing die.

Flag Post

It’s not as good as the first two, but I still gave it a 4.

Flag Post

-Terribly bugged

Bother to mention any in particular? I didn’t have many problems.

-Lags like hell

It’s a complex game. It will lag for some people. Not much to do except to try to close background applications, and if it still lags, get a better computer.

-Exactly the same concept and puzzles as the two previous instalments

It’s a sequel. If it didn’t have the same concept, it just wouldn’t fit.

It may not be the best game, but it’s good. The way you complain about how people rated the game highly (AKA people who liked the game) kind of bugs me. I’m not saying you have to like the game, but you should at least respect people who do like the game.

/rant

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBacteria:

-Terribly bugged

-Lags like hell

It’s a complex game. It will lag for some people. Not much to do except to try to close background applications, and if it still lags, get a better computer.

Oh, so that’s your solution to everything, huh. “It didn’t happen to me so it must be this guy’s fault!” Nevermind that the entire page of the “best” comments is filled with people complaining about bugs and the lag.
Screenshot
Link

Here, let me break it down to you, out of those 50 posts (I didn’t count them twice even though some could go in several categories):

22 complained about the bugs (44%):

• Save and exit bugged
  • Awarding achievements not done yet
  • 27 burnt torches not awarding
  • Safe spot achievement not rewarding
  • Tubes locked on some occasions
  • Keys or mouseclicks do not work on some occasions
  • Save does not work sometimes
  • Panic does not work occasionally
  • “99% done” achievement does not work
  • Coin achievement for the gym awarding too early
  • Shooting hamsters may freeze them mid-air
  • “Loose change” in the testing room not awarded
  • Taping a direction button will make the elephant run for several seconds
  • When getting 400 achievement, game data breaks
  • Stuck in a room with “not set data 0:00” written
  • List says 400/400 achievement but still has missing ones

10 complained about the lag (20%)

6 complained about design mistakes (12%)

• Going through the tube ends the game early with no warning
  • No double jump on falling
  • “Pastry hoops x10” should be x15
  • Pellets going through the tube one by one

But it didn’t happen to you! So it’s alright! I guess it must be all these people’s fault for not spending a couple thousands dollars on a computer to play a stupid flash game on the internet… Never mind the fact that I can run full 3D games like Portal 2 and still lag like crazy on this game! Yup, entirely my fault.

-Exactly the same concept and puzzles as the two previous instalments

It’s a sequel. If it didn’t have the same concept, it just wouldn’t fit.

There’s “sequel” and then there’s just copypasting the same UI, the same physics, the same graphics, the same sounds, making a new level design in 1 hour and shipping in a neat package saying it’s “new”.

It may not be the best game, but it’s good. The way you complain about how people rated the game highly (AKA people who liked the game) kind of bugs me. I’m not saying you have to like the game, but you should at least respect people who do like the game.

/rant

I’m pissed because some other, better, not-bugged-filled, not-laggish, original, heavily-worked-upon games are getting a shitty rating for stupid reasons, while this awful, terrible, shoddy, browser-crashing game will nab first place as usual.

Flag Post

It didn’t seem to lag for me but the game-play itself I actually didn’t particularly like.

Flag Post

I’m not saying it’s the best game. I’m not saying you have to like it. What I’m saying is that you shouldn’t complain about the rating of the game, because it is disrespecting the opinions of others. You are clearly in the minority, because everyone else seemed to like it, judging by its rating. But gosh, the minority is always the most vocal.

/rant2

Flag Post

Sweet bug. It awarded me the “and you’re safe – all” but it still says I need to hit safe spots A, B, C, D, F and H. And guess what, that’s the only 8 achieves I need left (98% and 99% comes with those) Are you kidding me? I usually love jmtb games but this is pushing too far. It’s like it wasn’t well tested, or some comparison checks weren’t well made…

Flag Post

I checked here hoping to find some solution to the bugs/lag but it seems like I’m not the only one. I was able to beat the game, but no way I could get all 400 when some of them are completely bugged. Lags for me too at times and I have a quad core, windows 7 64 bit, 8GB of ram, not bleeding edge but a flash game of any sort shouldn’t lag on it. I can max out the detail in flight simulator X and still maintain a great framerate, but moving a little elephant around some rooms lags me out? It’s not just here, I’ve tried playing it elsewhere and it’s definitely not a Kongregate issue.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheBacteria:

-Terribly bugged

-Lags like hell

It’s a memory leak, and it does lag after a long period of play.

Unless you’re saying that my i5 2500K, overclocked to 4.6Ghz, is way too slow to play this game…

I should upgrade, then.

Flag Post

I had a couple of small bugs but nothing majorly significant. The save and exit button didn’t work and I kept getting stuck when I went through portals in the portal room. Good game but a bit of a bore now :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by SpinelessCoward:

Oh, so that’s your solution to everything, huh. “It didn’t happen to me so it must be this guy’s fault!”

Oh so that´s your solution, huh." It happened to me so it must happen to everyone and beacuse of that all the game is useless, just beacuse of that " Your same argument can be used against you >_>

There’s “sequel” and then there’s just copypasting the same UI, the same physics, the same graphics, the same sounds, making a new level design in 1 hour and shipping in a neat package saying it’s “new”-

Yes thats how all sequels are made. ALL.
and though I do like the game, I must say that beacuse you sometimes experience bugs, it is a horrible game that doesnt deserve his spot. Some people complain in the comments for the bugs, but you are not counting those that dont, mostly beacuse they will not complain in the commments since they didnt found any bugs.

Flag Post
It’s a complex game. It will lag for some people.

Complex? Really? Compared to what, exactly? You move a small elephant around a few rooms, there are coins and squares to touch, there’s fire, water, pastries, and hamsters. Plenty of games can do that much without the problems this game has. I had to restart several times because it stopped responding, and the Save and Exit refused to actually do so most of the time.

What I’m saying is that you shouldn’t complain about the rating of the game, because it is disrespecting the opinions of others. You are clearly in the minority, because everyone else seemed to like it, judging by its rating. But gosh, the minority is always the most vocal.

Should we extend this philosophy to politics? I “shouldn’t complain” when someone I don’t like gets into office or when they enact policies I disagree with, because I’m “clearly in the minority” and “everyone else seemed to like it” and I’m “disrespecting the opinions of others”?

Whether it’s politics or a Flash game, it’s perfectly appropriate to express a dislike for something, back that up with some facts, and try to convince others that there are better things out there. (The rating of a game on this site only very slightly affects me, but if you’re browsing through games sorted by rating, a high rating for a bad game does push down some of the more deserving games.)

Flag Post
Originally posted by alexgar:
Your same argument can be used against you >_>

No, it can’t and this is a stupid argument backed by nothing. An awful majority of people who say this happened to them. Should I direct you to the “best comments” page of the game, AGAIN? So, if you want to take yours and the other guy’s experience as a measure, try again. I’ve got hundreds of people saying the opposite. Pretty much EVERYONE says it’s bugged to hell.

There’s “sequel” and then there’s just copypasting the same UI, the same physics, the same graphics, the same sounds, making a new level design in 1 hour and shipping in a neat package saying it’s “new”-

Yes thats how all sequels are made. ALL.

No, again, it’s not. Not ALL of them. Not the good ones. Not the interesting ones. Not the ones that were made worth to actually play through. I’m aware a lot of flash games do the same thing, but it never actually made the process any less shittier. And it does not help that Achievement Unlocked already had a gimmicky and thin as fuck concept. Sure, the first one worked – as a joke game that made fun of achievements themselves. The second one was already too much. The third one is the definite proof that jmtb02’s just milking the title until everyone sees through his bullshit.

I’m just glad it seems he won’t win the monthly contest.

Flag Post

No, it can’t and this is a stupid argument backed by nothing.

And that´s it? you counter argument is that?? “No, it can´t…” surely your´s is

An awful majority of people who say this happened to them. Should I direct you to the “best comments” page of the game, AGAIN? So, if you want to take yours and the other guy’s experience as a measure, try again. I’ve got hundreds of people saying the opposite. Pretty much EVERYONE says it’s bugged to hell.

I will quote myself

Some people complain in the comments for the bugs, but you are not counting those that dont, mostly beacuse they will not complain in the commments since they didnt found any bugs.

What I am saying is: you can count those who experienced bugs, but you cant those who didn´t so you can´t arrive to a correct conclusion beacuse an Awful majority is not a visible number of people against those who experienced a bug.
It looks like you didnt read what I wrote and you just raged like a kid.

Flag Post

Personally, I’m not a fan of the game, and I don’t think it deserves the rating either, I’ve seen some 3.9~ games that definitely deserved to be higher. However, I do feel like SpinelessCoward is overreacting. No need to swear, keep a civil argument.

I would say that about half the people experienced bugs throughout the gameplay, checking the comments. If he got X number of people with bugs, then the remaining, Y, must be the number of people without bugs OR people that were a bit lenient/thought the but was very trivial. – To Alexgar

For the lag, I feel like it could have been programmed way more efficiently. Platformer games aren’t actually that hard to code, provided you don’t spam EventListeners to deal with Achievements. It’s a bit like Unity, some REALLY small games lag on my comp for some reason, yet big games don’t. I’m taking a stab at unefficient coding and a possible memory leak.

For that “same argument”, technically it can be re-used against you, but that’s a bit of an idiotic move considering you don’t gain from it, even if you give the evidence. Like I said before, X/Y is roughly balanced, so by giving the evidence, you wouldn’t progress anywhere, so no point arguing there alexgar.

Jmtb02 is usually a very good developer, but I feel his latest few games haven’t been as good lately, and he hasn’t been fixing bugs. Eg. Does anyone remember Corporation Inc.? The save button didn’t work, so you had to basically do what you want within one sitting, and after several months it still wasn’t fixed. I don’t think it is FIXED now.

If I had to make the rating decision, I would say 3.85. A large part of rating is previous dev experience. Nerdook made epic games around the middle of his dev career, and I was a huge fan, but lately his games have been somewhat of a let down, yet he still gets rated highly.

In the end, it’s a free world, and ANYONE is allowed to voice their like or a dislike for something.

Ceasar’s right:
“It’s perfectly appropiate to express a dislike for something”

~DragonArcherZ

Flag Post

The comments would naturally be filled with people complaining about bugs.

People who don’t get bugs don’t post comments.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DragonArcherZ:

Personally, I’m not a fan of the game, and I don’t think it deserves the rating either, I’ve seen some 3.9~ games that definitely deserved to be higher. However, I do feel like SpinelessCoward is overreacting. No need to swear, keep a civil argument.

Excuse me, I have trouble being civil when faced with idiotic arguments. Actually, I simply don’t WANT to be civil.

Originally posted by alexgar:

No, it can’t and this is a stupid argument backed by nothing.

snip

No matter how many times you say it, it’s still stupid. How many games have full pages of comments criticizing the game for its bugs and its game-breaking lag? How many? I don’t know a single one. And if you want to prove me wrong, BE MY GUEST. Because, AGAIN, I’m backed up with numbers, comments, forum posts and other pointers that YES, the game is bugged to hell and back, and YES, it does ruin the game for a lot of people. What do you have? Nothing. Just some vague “number of people who did not post”. Who cares? Maybe a couple of players didn’t experience a bug. Maybe they didn’t post about it. Maybe another hundred players DID experience a bug and did not post about it either. In the end, I’m the one closer to having a proof, while you flail around to defend a poorly coded game. Do you know what you look like? A creationist trying to prove that dinosaurs are a test of faith from God. “Yeah ok, I don’t have definite proof, but you can’t prove me otherwise, because I’ve never seen a dinosaur! Take that!” Whoop-dee-doo, what a fucking argument.

Oh, and I’m sure jmtb02 cares that you defend his piece of crap. Yeah.

Flag Post

4.21 is too much from a game like Achievements Unlocked 3… My computer is not one of the best but I dont think you need the latest model to play a flash game…. I usually have my fb and a blog page along with kong open and switch tabs with no problem at all. For this I had to close them all and leave only the game running but still had freezes. And the pellet meter. Gosh i spend half my time gathering them then the rest of it to give them to the hamster. There’s an ingame counter about how many pellet you currently hold, why do I have to watch 200 pellets flying upwards due to mysterious reasons?
The game is way to rough and doesnt deserve 4.21… I dont care how good his previous games were, the rating is about the game not the developer. I find it wrong rating a bad game high because the developer made some really cool games before and you dont really mind one of them wasnt good enough…
My guess is he was in a hurry to have his game taking the 2.000th badge he didnt spend time fixing bugs and such. Not a good move to do imo.