Best Video Game Music and Theme Songs

24 posts

Flag Post

I like Super Mario Bros. Theme

Flag Post

I really like the theme of the Uncharted series

Flag Post

I like the music that plays in the Dynasty Warriors games.

Flag Post

Battlefield 1942, and Pokemon, pokemon always had good gym, and boss battle music, and the first Soul Caliber Game!

I also like some of the music from the game, “My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_8585&feature=iv&src_vid=9OO5VAKk0d8&v=Y5arfXL-AB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DlN2OPkBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPOeXQ793Q

^These are some of the best

Flag Post

Gourmet Race!

Flag Post

Anything SNES (specially Chrono Trigger, Rock ‘N’ Roll Racing, and Super Metroid) or Zelda related – which makes LoZ:ALttP a double boosted game. Early Megaman games also have their share of awesome music.

Flag Post

badass

Flag Post

Honestly, if you’re not mentioning a Masafumi Takada soundtrack on here you’re doing something wrong. From God Hand’s Western themed genre mish-mash ( Devil May Sly and Sunset Heroes being prime examples, though I’d say it was a sin to forget the game’s glorious tongue-in-cheek ending theme ) to Killer7’s subdued, ambient soundtrack ( Where Angel’s Play and Dissociative Identity evoking strong emotions, especially when tied to a game as narratively driven and beautiful as this).

However, it is his work on the No More Heroes Soundtrack, which I look most fondly upon. The basic leitmotif of the game is nothing really to write home about, but the boss themes, man, do they sound good! From the sick guitars of Dr Peace’s theme, Steel Python, to Speed Buster’s Mach 13 Elephant Explosion, which perfectly evokes the mindlessly destructive nature of the character, to We Are Finally Cowboys the final song of the game, with the sickest of guitar riffs and a slightly melancholic bridge which emphasizes the theme of Self-Destruction which had been building throughout the whole game. If I could only play one videogame for the rest of my life, it would be No More Heroes. If I could only listen to one video game soundtrack for the rest of my life, it would be No More Heroes. And if ever there were such a think as an artistic video game, it would be No More Heroes. It has a beautiful soul, and a beautiful soundtrack.

It is also worth mentioning the soundtrack of the second No More Heroes game, Desperate Struggle. A game which, while not needing to exist and somewhat undermining the ending of the original, manages to take the messages of the original to their logical conclusion. The original game was all about the self-destruction of individuals who had fallen into unhealthy mental patterns of obsession, narcissism, hatred and revenge. The sequel, however, takes the idea of self-destructive revenge and spins it out into something far more twisted than the original. It is darker, for sure, which is why it needed a more punk sound, to really kick things into high gear. Masafumi Takada was, unfortunately, unable to work on this game’s soundtrack, leaving it up to Jun Fukada and various external talent (Such as The Riot and Taku Toshioka Squad ). There are areas where the soundtrack surpasses the original, however as a whole, it feels just a touch weaker. It is worth bringing up some of the boss themes again, such as We Are Finally Cowboys: Golden Brown Mix a cheeky techno remix of the final boss theme of the previous game (Complete with a sly, or rather blatant, reference to kickass punk band The Stranglers) or Slingshot the first boss theme and a sign that this game was gonna be a whole other animal when compared to the original or, in the words of Travis Touchdown, “This isn’t a battle anymore; it’s a motherfucking war!”

Flag Post

Two words:

inFamous 2 Soundtrack.

Flag Post

Some of the tracks from Kingdom Hearts 2 are pretty awesome.

Flag Post

ok u must think ist childish but the best music i have ever heard in a game is simply – rayman origin . its the first game i have actually noticed the music as a key factor in a game. its not just some music in the background. ist interconnected in the game and simply another aspect of the game and not just anything in the background.

Flag Post

Most of SA2B Music.

Flag Post

I dunno but I always liked themes from fighting games the most, especially from Tekken 4, where my favorites are the Airport and Building themes. My other favorites are Lei-Fei’s theme from Virtua Fighter 4, Lei’s theme from Tekken 3 and Dead or Alive’s training theme.
EDIT: Oh yeah, how the hell could I forget this?

Flag Post

Portal 2 hands down.

Flag Post

Mario, am I right?

Flag Post

I really like some of the music in Fez and the music in Super Meat Boy’s pretty awesome. I used to love the music in a few of the Burnout and Tony Hawk games.

Flag Post

Anything from Katamari.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SonicCreeper:

Portal 2 hands down.

I second that, though the best song was the theme song from portal 1 ‘Still alive’.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxTNqYAWISs&feature=related

Flag Post

(insert Touhou music here)

Also, Sonic music. Even that glitchy mess from 2006 had good music.

Flag Post

I like Song of Storms

Flag Post

For a shooter, Halo has great music. Mass Effect gas great sci-fi music, and Fez, can’t forget about that.

Flag Post

Have to love Final Fantasy’s Music.

Flag Post

I really like the Elder Scrolls and Halo soundtracks.

Flag Post

[insert any song from the SNES, Touhou, or Cave shmup here]