Golf is the loneliest sport: A look of Gravitee

36 posts

Flag Post

Golf is the loneliest sport because there’s no action,and it’s boring. So is this game.

The endless frustration of “J” in Fold was better then this.

First,is the mass of the sun 250 or 250,000,000?

Because no matter what,it ALWAYS goes flying into the sun. Always. Even if some planets have a stronger mass.

Second, BORING! You hit a ball with a… stick? Not even a stick?Anyway,no action,just ENDLESS boredom. Not even fun music. The action comes from the gun in your hand and where your head is.

Third, I hate golf. It is so boring. Why did you even make a game about golf anyway?

Flag Post

For great justice.

Albatross 18 (Or Pangya in some countries) or the cheesy Super Swing Golf in the Wii is one of the well-known golf games. It’s cutesy and cheesy. Go google it and it has attracted LOTS AND LOTS OF HUMAN BEINGS!

Super Swing Golf is the 1st space golf game that started the trend. Born in Newgrounds, it became a top game. It’s also found in Kongregate but I’m too lazy to find it.

And golf is a cool game. It might be for the rich (Well, my dad is a golfer and I’m pretty rich too) but it’s still awesome.

And after all, if golf is crap, then who the heck will make MORE golf games if the golf genre itself sucks?

EDIT: FunkyPear’s post says it all. And Gravitee won an award and it has a badge too.

Flag Post

Don’t play it then. Simple

Flag Post

I like it!Needs concentration i must admit i find real life golf boring but this is fun

Flag Post

Golf is a waste of space in the real world, but in a game, that’s no problem.

First, I think the Suns are placed there deliberately so you have to be careful. There would be no point making it fatal to touch if you didn’t have to try and avoid it.

Second, I agree it’s a little long for a strategy game, but if it’s the music you dislike, put on your own.

Flag Post

The part where there’s no music is precisely why you should post your own music in. Different people have different music views, so I think of it like that. (aka,jude’smusicchoice.)

Flag Post

SevereFlame is entitled to voice an opinion though. If everyone just complimented and rated highly the games they liked and just ignored the ones they didn’t, we’d have all games as 5 star with only the number of ratings to determine how likely we would be to like a specific game.

Flag Post

Just to clarify, the only difference between suns and planets is an extra graphic (the flame icon), and instead of bouncing, the ball is reset and the flame animation & sfx are displayed. The mass or gravity of suns is calculated no differently to planets – its all the same routine. Some of the suns just happen to be in spots where the ball is likely to end up.

Flag Post

I like Gravitee way better than Fold.

Flag Post

I was basically going to say what FunkyPear said, only he was talking about it from a technical angle. The reason you think the suns act differently is one of psychology. When you launch a ball, you never notice how many planets it hits. You only notice the sun. It’s like the toast always landing butter-side-down. When you drop it butter-side-up, you wipe it off and forget about it. Butter-side-down, and you (hopefully) throw the toast away and make a new one.

Flag Post

Good call Phoenix!

Flag Post

The suns appear to act differently because they’re usually sitting right at the bottom of the gravitational potential well. A planet in the same position would have the same effect – it’s not the sun that’s special, it’s the level map that’s been designed to toss balls into the sun. When you draw out the potential field lines of the level, it’s obvious what’s happening.

Incidentally, toast usually does land butter-side down – it’s caused by the height of the average table and the fact that toast always starts butter-side up on the table. There was a study on it a few years ago.

Flag Post

Level design certainly can play into it too, though I admit I never took the time to draw out gravity gradients. Well done! :-)

As for the toast, I’d love to see that study. Have a link? I thought they tried it on Mythbusters one time, but I honestly don’t remember the result. Of course, the one I’d still like to see is the perpetual motion machine created by attached buttered toast to the back of a cat and throwing it off a building…

By the way, in case anyone missed it, FunkyPear is the developer of the game. So, he knows exactly how it’s all programmed, and has taken the time to answer questions in the forum. Bravo!

Flag Post

Please use the game forums for game discussions.

Flag Post

Didn’t Mythbusters just drop the toast though?

The point is, that the average flat square will complete 1.5 rotations after being knocked off a table from the standard height.

I’m pretty sure I saw a TV show where they knocked toast off something twice the height of the standard table and it landed butter-side up most of the time.

Flag Post

I think its just that you always notice when toast lands butter side down – you invest time and emotion beating yourself up over the fact that the proverb is true and why you didn’t buy butter to match the carpet, if you drop it and its salvageable then you just get on with it… Also the fact that its a saying only re-enforces its perception…

The game is ok, a good start, but it would be good to see developments – more phenomenon like nebulae to slow down a ball, maybe atmospheres with different qualities and a range of clubs – maybe one that works well for putting to the other side of the same planet i.e. keeping it in orbit and others for hoofing it.

The gravity is annoying though – obviously the size of something isn’t the factor in its gravity, but its mass is – and a sun with a lower mass than a planet should not attract more. Equally having a sun would just attract any ball going in any direction – perhaps the best thing would be to ditch them and overcome it with more reasonable things – abrasive atmospheres (Venus type planets) and planets with such awesome gravity that you can never take off.

The concept is sound, but it can go in so many more directions. Oh and as for golf; its just a game…

Flag Post

I completely disagree about the whole sun thing. I’ve been bouncing very lightly on a 360 somethin’ mass planet and I somehow end up getting launched into a sun with a severly lesser mass. I was nearly on the planet.

Flag Post

I still say it’s a lot of psychology. The game programmer has stated specifically that the game uses the exact same function to calculate the physics for all objects. Suns are no different from planets outside of what happens upon collision.

Flag Post

I think funky pear put them there on purpose, and why not? If it wasn’t hard to avoid, then it might as well be a planet.

Flag Post

Hmm…

Powerups? That would be so awesome = D

Flag Post

what about aliens in the game… that would be so cool

Flag Post

I wonder how hard it would be to include moons, with their own gravitational fields?

Flag Post

The buttered toast study was “Tumbling Toast, Murphy’s Law, and the fundamental constants”, 1995 European Journal of Physics 16, pp 172-175. That’s real peer-reviewed science, not popular television. It’s not available for free on the web, but you’ll find a copy at your local university library (or students can get it via Athens).

The usual error is to drop the toast or throw it in the air, in which case you’ll get even distribution. The case we are really interested in is what happens to toast that has been knocked off a table.

And that’s quite enough on this subject.

Flag Post

Don’t want scope to expand too much on this project. I’m planning on doing a Gravitee 2 which will have alot of the things mentioned… atmospheres, upgradable stats, asteroid belts, different gameplay types and so on are all ideas I’m playing with.

Once the bugs are out of the system then I’ll leave it be (probably!). Gravitee 2 will definitely be awesome compared to this :) I’ve learnt alot!

Flag Post

it would be awsome if you made gravatee 2, online multiplayer.