Gamers are becoming stupid(er)

17 posts

Flag Post

sigh A recent Kong game called Hexagon has been recently added with badges. I am really disappointed by all the comments that were given to it. Go ahead and see for yourself if you haven’t yet:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh_B/hexagon

. . . read most of them yet? Do you agree with them? What I hate is that most of them complain that the game is impossibly hard. Some claiming that reaching 10 seconds through the game is challenge enough. Some of them say that they played the game for ages but still haven’t gotten the hard badge. I for one reached 94.11 seconds after only playing the game for half an hour. Why is it that most flash gamers nowadays are becoming unskilled and stupid. I’ll tell you why, games like Burrito Bison and Infectonator where it’s impossible to lose.

Flag Post

(Crap, I acidentally submitted the post before I could finish so here’s the continuation.)
Basically, what I’m saying is most ‘good’ flash games nowadays are easy as crap. Villainous for example still managed to become one of the Best of 2011 even though it’s another game where you can’t f***ing lose. I mean c’mon, wtf do you people see in these games?!! Back in 2009, the games that got into the Best of 2009 quest utterly deserved it because they were all adrenaline pumping fun. I find it disappointing that Mochigame’s ‘Biogems’ didn’t make it to the ‘Best of 2011’. Why did I like Biogems? Because it was also adrenaline pumping fun challenge etc. etc.. But no, what did make it to the top spots were incredibly easy games like Elephant quest and RPG Shooter etc. etc. To summarize, F*** flash gaming 2011-2012. Can we get the old challenging games back please?

Flag Post

*points out the irony of attacking people's intelligence and failing to use the edit feature*

On a more serious note, game difficulty has pretty much always been an issue. Just compare the games of the 90s (and earlier if you want, but the 90s have more games people are familiar with) with the games of today. Many of those were ridiculously difficult compared to the much more advanced games we have now, due to things like checkpoints and save states. People have been lamenting the loss of challenge in games for years, but at the same time people always find new games to gripe about for being too difficult.

It’s a mix of things. There are people with different tastes, and there are games with different exposure levels. Then there are also the types of people who bother to complain.

I also still don’t think “Flash gamers” becoming unskilled is a big deal in the first place. Flash games are inherently casual compared to the larger production value games built on different platforms.

Flag Post

Hexagon is fine. I’ve only gotten 40 seconds in half an hour’s work. Invite a friend over, he can’t get better than 7 seconds.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

points out the irony of attacking people’s intelligence and failing to use the edit feature

I don’t usually post in forums so I didn’t notice the edit post feature. The edit post button is so small I didn’t even notice it even after trying to look for it.

Flag Post

Yeah Extreme I was annoyed to see the average dip so low too. I’m a hardcore gamer myself, but hardly a badge collector because I don’t have patience for lots of the games that are badged. I agree, games where you can’t fail bore me and some of those are popular games you mentioned that are rated very highly. Hexagon is a fun, unique game with cool music. Before badges it was like 3.7? Now it’s 3.1. For my tastes it is sad to see this be rated lower than the facebook like games on kongregate.

I was playing Bubbles II which has a rating of like 2.4 but is a solid game with cool detail and original concept. The only catch is it’s an extremely tough game. But honestly the low ratings for games like these are not really a big deal, people can like what they like even if we disagree. And from a business standpoint it makes sense that lots of easy games are more profitable for the developers right now meaning that this trend is not going to change any time soon. But hey, harder games are still made, just easy games are often made too. There are plenty of good games getting put into kong still, play what you like :)

Anyway I doubt the author of the game is taking it personally, he probably expected a mass of casual gamers to whine and emotionally downvote his game.

PS: One last thing: The stupid games aren’t making the people stupid, the stupid people are making the games stupid.

Flag Post

I think I qualify as an ‘old-school’ gamer. I’m 31. I have 50+ NES games. I play roguelikes and danmaku shooters and relish in the challenge. I am certainly not the greatest gamer ever, but I don’t shy away from the difficult. I liked Biogems too! Is that enough cred?

I gave the game a whirl. I hated it. I’m sure I could get the hard badge with practice, but at the moment, I don’t care because the game is a pain in the ass to play. I don’t like that it uses arrow keys. I don’t like that it uses ‘if you haven’t seen this before, you’re going to lose’ advancement. Personally I’d be happier if it were zoomed out more, even if it meant the ‘waves’ came faster, but I’ll chalk that one up to personal preference. I think the game deserves its sinking rating. I wouldn’t rate it higher than a 3 myself. I don’t think it’s entirely because it’s hard and people can’t handle it, I think it’s because it’s a good concept saddled with poor design.

As to your more general point, the simple truth is that ‘simple’ appeals to more people. As Kongregate gets bigger, as gaming in general gets bigger, what’s popular is what’s simpler. Sometimes—and often in the case of flash games—that means easier, that means more hand-holding, that means casual. Accessibility begets popularity. That’s not a new concept. Gamers aren’t getting dumber, you’re just finding yourself in a maturing (so to speak) community, and as a gamer that prefers more challenging games, you’re just going to have to get used to your favorite games getting overlooked.

Flag Post

Speaking of Hexagon, it took me four tries just to understand that this triangle moves while you press the key and hold it, not one facet a press. I’m one of those who earned an easy badge and ragequitted. I can say that a newly badged game attracts a lot of players, some don’t just like this lot of flashing colors, some actually suffer from this. Some people are not so quick to react correctly with this small timespan (although it’s remediable with reflexes), and some really think that this game is not entertaining. People differ, people seek different types of enjoyment, even in games. You seemingly like hard action games, I like hard strategy games.

About gaming skills – maybe yes, people start demanding easier games, and yes, some people like games where you plainly can’t lose. Any launch type game without a time limit is one. So what, drop them all? After all, it’s up to you to decide which game to play. You might want to try Rebuild (first one) on hard or higher without save/load, as a challenge.

About quests and “Best of” – it’s being progressively harder to select games as “best of”, as they first start being better and better in quality, as well as more and more in quantity, and some of them are addressed towards more players than others. Like, for example, tower defence genre – some people say they’re already sick of TDs, some rarely play anything else, this however doesn’t mean a TD can’t be general-oriented. So probably Kongregate’s staff selected games by number of plays, which is a rough estimate of their general quality.

About “can we” – yes, we can, you can too. Why don’t you develop a challenging game? :D

Flag Post

You know why I don’t like it? Artificial difficulty.
Now I can handle flickering colors, disorienting crap and “HA, IN YOUR FACE” type trial-and-error gameplay, but what I can’t handle are CRIPPLED CONTROLS!

Flag Post

By the way, BioGems is fine, although the only difficulty there arises from big HP pool of the last boss and cumulative rage for its phases. Probably you’ll be interested in Dark Legion game here as well.

Flag Post

I’m one of them.

I like building games (Minecraft) better, and not so much competition games and hard games. When I tried Hexagon yesterday, the highest I got was about 12 sec. _

I hate those ones where you have to actually do an almost full turn. I always turn too much or too little. The rest are fine.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lei_wulong:

Now I can handle flickering colors, disorienting crap and “HA, IN YOUR FACE” type trial-and-error gameplay, but what I can’t handle are CRIPPLED CONTROLS!

I agree. As someone who earned the hard badge, the main challenge in the game was the inconsistent controls. OP may want to go back to when beating games meant beating the poor control schemes, but most people don’t.

Flag Post

I had no problems with the controls in the game, and got the hard badge yesterday.

Flag Post

Even though I absolutely loved Hexagon and got the hard badge. I do agree that the controls need some work. The arrow movement is too sensitive and the only times I died was not because of a bad reflex at my part but because the arrow moved too far and I ended up a few centimeters away from where I wanted it to be. But still, I finally came up with a name for all those games where you can’t fail. Let’s call them ‘Grind Games’ Because that’s literally all you do. For example in Burrito Bison and Infectonator and including Villainous, you have a run, earn some money, what do you use the money on? So you can have a better run next time. I find a game which utterly revolves around grinding is not in any way fun. You know what that is?!!! FUN?!!! That’s what the Best of 2009 games, Biogems, or any other non-grind games had. FUN! You might say I have no right to complain because they are free games but c’mon, so are all the other fun flash games out there.

Flag Post

There is a trick, some people have fun while grinding. While yes, “grind games” is appropriate name for such things :)

Flag Post

I hate grind-to-win games. I like games that actually take skill.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Beerblog:
Originally posted by lei_wulong:

I agree. As someone who earned the hard badge, the main challenge in the game was the inconsistent controls. OP may want to go back to when beating games meant beating the poor control schemes, but most people don’t.

Indeed. That triangle requires a prepostrous level of precision to place correctly. a milisecond too long and you overshoot. mind-screw rotation of entire field is giving me a headache. .