Strategy Guides/Walkthrough Discussion

8 posts

Flag Post

I, personally, am against them. I very much enjoy exploring games and figuring out what everything does for myself.

However…I recently posted a game of mine and the feedback so far has been less than positive. The reason, it seems, is that most people can’t figure out a certain part, and they give up without getting very far at all. Some want instructions telling them how to do everything. Should I write up guides on how to pass sections, even if I feel I’m killing the enjoyment?

How do you all feel about this issue? As a developer, do you appease the populous? As a gamer, do you feel feel better when you do something on your own, or does it not really matter at all?

Flag Post

And I must have done something silly because the second paragraph is in a weird frame! Excuse my ignorance of this forums formatting codes!

Flag Post

well I’m all for them, since I made this forum thread, but there are others who share you opinion. You can find some of them who have posted it in the thread.

And there are no set formatting codes (other than the basics ) on kongregate….you can only use some of the codes imbedded in the stylesheet.

Flag Post

I guess I wouldn’t mind so much if just another player wrote one. They still probably wouldn’t be finding everything. For now I guess I’ll stand strong and take the rating hit!

Flag Post

I have no problem with guides. Most games are made in a way that you can figure out what you are supposed to do without them but if someone wants to use a guide it doesn’t bother me at all. Games are supposed to be fun and if someone doesn’t know what they are supposed to do they probably aren’t going to have fun playing it.

I’m not sure which game you are talking about. The only one I see on your profile is the fish game and that certainly doesn’t need a guide.

Edit: I have been playing through Fish Quest and I can see how people would get confused on the bosses but they aren’t impossible to figure out. The only thing that I see that might need an in game message are those spinning arrows. I didn’t know what I was supposed to do with them for a while.

Flag Post

I’m all for them. I believe it’s a personal choice whether or not you want to try to figure everything out yourself, or if you just want to get through it asap. 3D Logic is a good example of a game, where people just want to get through it and get the badge.

SnowFlavored, I played your game, and although I must admit, it wasn’t all that obvious what to do at certain points, I managed to figure it out. That is, until I came to the octopus. I could figure out how to move about and fire cans at it, but not how to actually hit him. In that case, a guide would be nice IMO.

Flag Post

If you hate guides, don’t take a look at it. If you love guides, take a look at it.

Period.

Flag Post

If you hate guides, don’t take a look at it. If you love guides, take a look at it.
Period.

Sure, go ahead and make my post into a short and concise point, why don’t you. :(