Future of gaming

10 posts

Flag Post

What do you think will be expected in the future for gaming? Sci Fi goggles? instant downloads for any title? and what about flash games? you think there is a future for them?

Flag Post

In terms of the sci-fi goggles you brought up, Google is doing something along those lines already (Project Glass), and then Ingress somewhat falls into that category.

For console gaming, I think it’ll continue to grow nicely, but it just won’t be up to par with PC gaming as much, since PC technology is advanced and made better much more frequently than console technology (current gen systems are over half a decade old in terms of hardware, the new gen systems coming out will be decent, but in a couple years will be sub-par again since the hardware will be stuck where it is for the duration of the system).

For Flash gaming, it might take a bit of a loss, but browser games like those on Kongregate will be around for a long time, it might just be a different type (HTML5 could become more prominent, Unity, etc), so I’m not too worried about that.

Flag Post

for consoles to keep up with PC’s I think they would have to make them customizable and upgradable like the Steam Box Piston. Consoles are becoming obsolete a lot faster than in the past.

Flag Post

The only downside to doing customizable or upgradable consoles is that games will become unplayable if you don’t upgrade (i.e. you wouldn’t be able to get the new games), or if you did upgrade it’d depreciate the older games a lot more than they already get depreciated (as it is, all games for a system have the same specs to work with, whether released a week apart or three years apart).

Sticking to a standard setup works nicely for consoles as they’re meant for the kinds of gamers who just want to be able to play everything out of the box without having to set stuff up for themselves (admittedly, it’s worked for decades, so there’s no real reason to change that), if they brought upgrading hardware into the mix, they’d either lose a lot of customers due to cost (paying a few hundred dollars for a system you’ll use for a few years is alright, having to pay extra every few months to upgrade will turn a lot of people off of it), or something else would happen like I said above.

This is all just personal opinion, though, I’ve never been a major console gamer or PC gamer, but I like the fact that my system that I’ve had for over five years now still could run every game released for it, since all of the games were built for the same hardware setup, and I like that my computer can play most modern games since it has decent specs for the games being released nowadays. Consoles are just a subset of computers anyways, they’re just tailor-made for a certain setup, so making them more like a desktop where you upgrade it as often as you’d upgrade a desktop might just turn more people to PC gaming anyways (since a lot of the games are made for both consoles and PCs).

Flag Post

Sci Fi goggles?

Google are actually undergoing Project Glass which is a sort of sci-fi goggle. Maybe gaming consoles will take this idea into consideration, and merge it with the motion sense equipment.

Flag Post

Nintendo ruins everything again.
also expect loads of online stuff.

that’s all I can say for sure

Flag Post

You’ll go into a room. As you walk, the treadmill under you will go the opposite way, making you stay in the same place. All around you will be the game 360 degrees, let’s say it is GTA. As you walk, you’ll walk around in the game. There will be all sounds and smells, like it is real. You’ll run or walk, and the character’s walking speed depends on that (Of course the speeds will be set before, since it would be unfair for slower people to run slower.) For example, in a Burger Shop, you’ll be like you are really in it, with smells. You’ll choose your guns and what to do with your thinking power (without all that cables and stuff). For some moves, it will be like Wii, only more realistic and without that stupid console. So, you’ll choose your gun with your thoughts, and you’ll shoot it like you are shooting a gun.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mosemizrahi:

You’ll go into a room. As you walk, the treadmill under you will go the opposite way, making you stay in the same place. All around you will be the game 360 degrees, let’s say it is GTA. As you walk, you’ll walk around in the game. There will be all sounds and smells, like it is real. You’ll run or walk, and the character’s walking speed depends on that (Of course the speeds will be set before, since it would be unfair for slower people to run slower.) For example, in a Burger Shop, you’ll be like you are really in it, with smells. You’ll choose your guns and what to do with your thinking power (without all that cables and stuff). For some moves, it will be like Wii, only more realistic and without that stupid console. So, you’ll choose your gun with your thoughts, and you’ll shoot it like you are shooting a gun.

Sounds quite a bit like what they used in the movie Gamer, however it might not be in the near future (nor would I really want it to be, I’d take a controller over motion-capture technology for most games anyways), but still a possibility. The thing about that is that you’d need all of that extra hardware and room just to play a simple game, so that’s a definite downside.

Flag Post

Well they can use hologram techonology, a small smell-maker and a little moving-sensitive circle treadmil and it wouldn’t take much place. I know it isn’t close future, it is the mid-distant future of gaming.

Flag Post

MMOs where you have to pay just to unlock pay2win options. Also poor quality shit without any storylines, but a lot of “realistic” graphics.