Epic Battle Fantasy 4 discussion thread

124 posts

Flag Post

I wanted to make this thread because I already beat the game on normal and wanted to see other people’s opinions on it. The other Epic Battle Fantasy 4 thread was more on talking about its upcoming release, thus, I felt I needed to make a new one.

It was fun and there were a lot of great improvements from the last one. All those new effects and animations, all amazing. The cutscenes that looked like paper cut-outs were iffy. I definitely prefer the old cartoonish ones like in EFB3. Those scenes were a little more endearing.

I was worried when I saw that it had premium content. Fortunately it wasn’t the kind of thing where it took away from the experience if you didn’t pay. I suppose the devs need a little love but I was grieving at the thought that I won’t get to see Natalie in a schoolgirl outfit ;)

The new character was cute but I was a little disappointed that she accomplishes the exact same role as lance as a damaging semi-support, but with more emphasis on status effects. First time I saw her with the green hair and nature themed get up, I was honestly expecting a summoner type character that calls on her animals friends for aid or something. But that’s just me.

I do feel that the story went by a little too quickly this time, but overall it was another job well done by kupo707.

Flag Post

For me Anna became the main damage character: just equip the weapon with the right element, receive temper buff from Matt and use combo shot or arrow rain.

And I agree that the game is great :)

Flag Post

From all char I think Anna have the weakest attack.
I only use her for buff, debuff and occasionally healing.
I’m just before the final boss and I’m hesitating between having Anna learn the revive spell(Who’s currently on nat) so that I can cast both revive and heal more during the same turn, or leaving thing as they are.

Flag Post

I dont really like EBF games

Flag Post

I use her as a magic defense buffer and magic attack buffer for lance so he droppin bombs on em. Give matt the saphire giant an let em own everything after he defense buffs. Got me through msot of the game on epic an stuck on last fight trying to finish quests. Need bacon fer one, 1/5 whatever the hell fer another, and 2 more red orbs fer last guy. Gotta love this game though:)

Flag Post

Guess i can’t edit my post so jsut gonna make another. I use nat to buff up lance an whatnot, haven’t even looked at anna since like first quarter of the game. She mighta been useful but you have ta pump yer guys up with stat boosts with only 3 in mind. Lance’s Air strike and poison gas get you through msot of it. And if not then use Matt’s waterboarding weapon with flood. In the last parts of the game you need ta syphon enemies so they don’t steal yer magic and that’s about it. i gave the ability ta Matt. Still need the first, last, and the quest with the long white bearded npc done. Looken around fer a while now an no idea.

Flag Post

Are people giving Barrier to Anna or Natz? I gave it to Natz because it fit theamaticly, but I’m beginning to think it would have been better to give it to Anna from an action economy standpoint.

Flag Post

I give Barrier to Natz.Suits her style.

Flag Post

Ok, so I just beat the game. There’s a lot to talk about.

First, the gameplay. I really liked the improvements to it. Even the wave count was super useful, though I felt that the summon thing wasn’t super needed. The only summons I really used more than once besides the scanbot were the ancient monolith and the slime bunny, since the strong summons were way too cost prohibited. The fact that you can choose who gets certain skills like defend and barrier I really liked; the skill system in the last game I felt was lacking something. The way the backup system was handled I thought was nice, though honestly, the only time I used it was during the final boss. Lance just isn’t very useful in this game; the only times I used him were in the factory, the jungle boss, and the first phase of the final boss. I wish that he was a little more useful in this game.

Anna seemed like the mixed attacker character, but she seemed better as a physical attacker. I did what Artgor did; equip her with the right weapon, use temper from Matt on her and then span arrow rain. But she also worked as a support; I gave her barrier, so when she can’t do much damage (like when the enemy is weak to fire), she can use both barrier and evade. I can’t really say much for Matt and Natz, except that they were really powerful when buffed.

Bosses. The Mighty Oak was actually one of the harder ones; I had to use all three of my limit breaks, something that Jack could only dream of. The Crystal Golem was in my opinion the second hardest boss in the game since he kept on changing types. The factory boss was fairly simple; the only times I had problems was when it instakilled someone. The jungle boss, Raff-whatever was stupid easy. Charm Lance with a level 5 air cannon (Vortex something) then spam maxed out shockwave. His summons all died in one hit, and the boss took a 10th of his health. The Glitch was interesting. The first time I fought it I got owned. Hard. But when you figure out what to do, its the easiest boss in the game. All I needed to do was to spam arrow rain with a level 5 Eagle Eye, and the other two keep Anna alive and fill her MP. The final boss was MUCH harder than Arkon. Personally the Creator was harder than the Destroyer; the Destroyer got destroyed by a berserk and tempered Matt with Heaven’s Gate and a Charmed Judgment. Overall, most of the the bosses in 3 were harder than 4.

The overworld. Definitely an improvement over the last game with the added puzzles, blocked off areas you need key items for, and the more than one town. I liked the idea of hidden treasure, though the fact that some quests need items that are hidden is kinda dumb. It took me forever to find all the panties, and I still haven’t found all the cat food yet.

Music. I personally liked 3’s soundtrack more. The only themes I liked were the final area’s theme and the final boss theme, though that’s personal preference.

Overall, this game exceeded my expectations. Another amazing game kupo707. Looking forward to EFB5.

Flag Post

Here’s some tips for The Glitch:

Equip your damaging allies with non-elemental weapons(Alchemy Bow,Alchemy staff etc.) and attack with non-elemental spells(Star Shower,Triple Sawblade etc.).Moral status helps a lot in this battle as long as you keep your HP above 50%.

Flag Post

I’m right before the final boss on the Epic difficulty. I can’t say anything about the boss itself, but I want to give my opinion on the rest of the game.

Having beaten EBF3 on Epic lets me compare it to this one. The bosses in 4, although stated to be easier than those of 3 on normal difficulty (according to PineappelNinja) were for me a lot harder. Maybe the difference in Normal/epic is greater is this game, or maybe it’s just a different kind of gamestyle that I use. I had no trouble with the Mighty Oak, and the Crystal Golem was easy as well when you have your characters in the right order (my characters could do the fire/ice/thunder combination in 1 turn, effectively doing tons of damage if there was no need for healing). Then came The Praetorian. OMG that guy’s a bitch. I had insta-kill protection a bit, but not enough. His Laser Cannons killed me in one hit (if charged) and all-killed-in-two if uncharged. His own charging attack usually killed Nat outright and the other two for 80%, and those frigging Sat-towers dispelled all my friggin protection if I tried to live longer. And then… Ion cannon. XD. Rafflesia was doable once I figured out I could do 100% ice-absorption, and then give him 4 blue flowers and spam ice stuff.

For the secret items: It’s okay, but now there’s no way to know if you “found everything”. I like the medals in the last game that basically told you if you hadn’t found all chests yet. I’m a 100%-completion guy so this sucks for me.

I liked Anna. She’s super-useful with arrow rain + doom-badge (dunno the name). She usually insta-kills 2 of the monsters in a wave, and it even sometimes worked on monoliths. But as Lucenian said, I expected her to be someone with her own summons or creatures/whatever. But all characters still had their own uses and that was good.

Talking about summons: There were way too much, and I didn’t even use most of them (scanbot, ancient monolith, and at The Praetorian I used the Thunder Elemental to kill the stupid turrets ASAP). Oh, and I lolled at the cosmic monolith one. It’s a little OP, but lol… XD You really made them “cosmic”. Pretty epic.

I like the way the skills work (normal and special skills). Even though it wasn’t quite needed, it was still a nice change.

Now for my troubles:
- I don’t know how to get the “overpriced snacks” medal. I bought every kind of food at least once (yes, the rare food too). Could anyone help me out a bit?
- How the HELL do i get 3.000.000 damage? I can’t even get the 300.000 on the first bush with Nuke + full buffs on myself + full debuffs on the bush. HOOOOW? :( Or should I just switch from epic to easy difficulty? =P (realizing just now that that might be the problem).
- Y U NO can walk on lava safely? I think it’s a bit annoying that you can walk on the lava, but still lose life. It doesn’t add anything to the game, and just makes me wait a while (regenerating) before attacking a monster. It wastes time.

Flag Post

- How the HELL do i get 3.000.000 damage? I can’t even get the 300.000 on the first bush with Nuke + full buffs on myself + full debuffs on the bush. HOOOOW? :( Or should I just switch from epic to easy difficulty? =P (realizing just now that that might be the problem).

http://kupo707.deviantart.com/journal/3mil-Damage-357600218

Flag Post

Like Lucenian, I actually prefer EBF3 cutscenes, but this is just personal preference of course.

The backup system by itself is a good idea, but due to limited resource, the only usage for your backup character is literally only backup instead of opening up more room for strategy. Also party skill being excluded from the backup actually discourage a switching play style.

I really like the separation of main skillset and accessory skillset as it encourage thinking and develop personal playstyle.

Moving on to Anna, I simply didn’t use her at all and dump her as backup even though she declare she was the main character Haha. The reason is because as many pointed out, Anna role is too similar to Matt and stats/skillset wise, Matt seems superior(imo)

As for the map, the lack of indication to where teleport gate are resulted in me hardly using those :D

Only disappointment for me is that there is no newgame+. Without that, many would just play and not come back again(yeah I just finish it too) and EBF4 will lose out on hitcount due to this. Not sure if it is still possible to add newgame+ now since I have no idea how many actually purchase premium for that reason over the equipment/pets.

Imo full bestiary can and should be part of the premium package.

@Procyonpi
I give barrier to natz since no matter who you give it to(backup or main), you would used up a turn(therefore no actual lost unless you are running a 1attacker/2support party). What is worse is if Anna isn’t your main, then one of your main will be left “barrier-less” after switching Anna out.

Flag Post

- I don’t know how to get the “overpriced snacks” medal. I bought every kind of food at least once (yes, the rare food too). Could anyone help me out a bit?

Simply buy one piece of rare food until its price doubles up to 512k. So, you need to buy one a 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k and 256k.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sunwave:

I liked Anna. She’s super-useful with arrow rain + doom-badge (dunno the name). She usually insta-kills 2 of the monsters in a wave, and it even sometimes worked on monoliths. But as Lucenian said, I expected her to be someone with her own summons or creatures/whatever. But all characters still had their own uses and that was good.

Talking about summons: There were way too much, and I didn’t even use most of them (scanbot, ancient monolith, and at The Praetorian I used the Thunder Elemental to kill the stupid turrets ASAP). Oh, and I lolled at the cosmic monolith one. It’s a little OP, but lol… XD You really made them “cosmic”. Pretty epic.

I’m not entirely sure about this but I think the summons are more effective when Anna uses it.

On another note I want to know how do you get into that one room in the factory with all the treasure chests? I have gotten past that part of the game but can’t seem to find any switches for it. I have the ladder and everything.

Flag Post

Oh, so I just have to keep buying the food? Damn, there goes grinding for money. I JUST used all of it on equipment upgrades since Godcat is owning me hard. She still does, though, just a little bit less. Can’t even get past the first form.

Anyway, to get into the “secret factory area” you need to pull the switches ON that are on the wall, and OFF the switches that are not on the wall. Requires a little walking around and I can’t say by heart what you’ll have to do, but it at least involves taking a battery to open the main gate and switch off switch nr. II… maybe.
Anyway, the wall-numbered switches ON (green), the rest OFF (red). Good luck.

Oh, but you have to have opened the back entrance (past the desert area).

I do not agree with the idea that full bestiary should come with the premium. You can get that yourself. Just like how I do not support the fact that my premium equipment (which I bought just before the final boss) isn’t level 1, but lvl 2 and 3. Well, it helps, but it feels a bit cheap.

Now back to getting completely murdered and/or obliterated by godcat.

Flag Post

A full bestiary for premium is the kind of stuff that “doesn’t impact game play at all” and “save your time on repetitive tedious mindless stuff”. It doesn’t take the fun out of anything especially seeing how well received the new scanbot is.

I understand the scanning is just a reference to FF but hey, there is no harm in giving it out to supporting players.

Flag Post

Buying a full bestiary would/could affect gameplay. The person spending the money would not have to use a turn during battles to scan the opponent. Even if you use the scan and run method of gameplay, you still have to spend the time doing it.

I like being able to move using the mouse in EBF4 much better than using the keyboard. I also greatly prefer just clicking on a chest or other things in the game as opposed to using the space bar.

Personally, I don’t see that much difference in the difficulty of the bosses except the final boss. GodCat being harder than Akron. I also agree with an above poster that the Creator is a pain in the ass. I can’t get to the Glitch as I can not find another bronze key. Anyone know if you have to save a bronze key for the danger room and then you get one from inside it?

Flag Post

You do not have to save a key since as long as you open as many treasure chests as possible, you should be able to haul enough keys to get in. The secret room in the factory does not have the key in any chest, but you will be able to obtain a summon if you manage to defeat the Glitch. I will warn you now that everything the Glitch does is an instant death regardless of what you do. The small glitches (summoned by the bigger Glitch) have the same properties as the main Glitch, but are Level 0. Also, glitches are immune to all status ailments and debuff effects, and they absorb all elemental attacks. Given the way it attacks you, you do not have to worry about the difficulty setting since it is the same battle with the same challenge no matter what setting you play on, though I am not sure as to what happens if you do this on Easy mode (I’m not embarrassing myself just to test it out). You will earn a medal for defeating this Glitch.

I do not blame anyone who struggles at the final boss. I buff my defenses a plenty of times, and I still get the feeling that each turn of battle against the final boss is basically a round of Russian Roulette (with Evade, not really). And that was with Level 32 characters on Epic, though I did manage to beat the final boss under those conditions.

Also, what would be the best place for getting to Level 40? I know that in Temple of Godcat, there is a repeatable battle before the Final Boss room that pits you against 4 dragons and two monoliths in one battle. It gives 680k+ XP, but at higher levels (I’m talking 34, 35+), that could barely even fill 9% of the XP bar. I would love to hear about even better approaches to getting to Level 40 for a medal without resorting to the premium pack.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ohnonooh:

A full bestiary for premium is the kind of stuff that “doesn’t impact game play at all” and “save your time on repetitive tedious mindless stuff”. It doesn’t take the fun out of anything especially seeing how well received the new scanbot is.

I understand the scanning is just a reference to FF but hey, there is no harm in giving it out to supporting players.

I would consider it spoilers. I like finding the enemies one by one, every time wondering what will be next. It’s no fun if you get them all at once. But I can see how some people might think differently. The only time it really affects anything is probably in the final battle, where you can’t scan and run since it has multiple phases.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jim_vierling:

Anyone know if you have to save a bronze key for the danger room and then you get one from inside it?

There’s an extra bronze key in one of the Whitefall Village shops; it’s sitting out in the open as a goodie to steal. (I think it’s the rare item/food shop in the upper left part of Whitefall.)

Flag Post

I’m probably missing something obvious, but how do you get to the last switch in the factory?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ballpeen:

I’m probably missing something obvious, but how do you get to the last switch in the factory?

You get it from the other side. You’ve got at least another area/boss before you should worry about it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thok:
Originally posted by Ballpeen:

You get it from the other side. You’ve got at least another area/boss before you should worry about it.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Flag Post

I’ve yet to dive into it, but when I will… Oh goodness, when I will.

Coming back to post opinion after I off it.